Photo
- - - - -

Uses of Caffeine

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:40 AM

I created this thread to discuss uses of caffeine.

One of the oldest social accepted stimuants it has studies whih are for or against it. And when there are not studies there are moralist approaches.

Once forbidden, around XVII was accepted. For some the meetings in the cafe Procope in Paris between D’Alembert y Diderot resulted in the encyclopedia.

Some people mix guarana with omega3 to obtain a softer and prolonged effect (guarana´s xanthine is more fat soluble)

Others prefer different xanthine containing products: coffee (arabs), guarana (brazil), kola nut (africa?), theobrome cacao (mayas, aztecs), yerba mate (guaranis), green tea (chinese, japanese, etc), black tea, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Jolt, Red Bull, etc.

So, what is your use of caffeine?. Have you found ways to use it avoiding the jitters?.

Posted Image

Edited by noos, 08 August 2004 - 06:45 PM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

I use caffeine in the mornings on a regular basis or other times when it is critical that I stay awake. I get my caffeine through green tea and unsweetened chocolate. All told, I take the equivalent of three quarters of a cup of black coffee each day. I don't get the jitters.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:11 PM

ever tried espresso?

the chocolate you use is cacao powder?

#4 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

For chocolate I just buy unsweetened baker's chocolate from the grocery store. One small box costs between $2 and $3 and lasts me over 2 weeks.

#5 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:53 PM

that is what I bought too
the taste is not easy, how do you take it? with hot milk?
do you feel an effect from it?
thanks

#6 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:06 AM

Yes I feel an effect. It seems to act very quickly, within minutes.

It is certainly an aquired taste. I find it is easier to eat by putting it in my cheek and slowly letting it dissolve. It makes me look like a baseball player chewing snuff, but hey...it works for me. Maybe I get some caffeine absorption in my cheek while it sits there.

#7 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:39 AM

about chocolate
http://www.mrkland.c...tl/caffeine.htm

http://www.parkvets....urtherinfo.html

I am still reading it

#8 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:47 AM

If it’s only the caffeine you desire, I take 200 mg caffeine pills, made by Prolab, once or twice per day, averaging about 10 pills per week. It’s just so much easier. A bottle of 100 costs 5.50 USD and they work really well since, being in pill form, the caffeine is more concentrated, meaning quicker assimilation.

Regarding the safety of caffeine (in case this might be anyone's concern), taken in common-sense dosages (200-400mg), and within the context of normal lifespans by today’s standards, for a person of normal health consuming adequate amounts of calcium, it’s pretty safe according to all the evidence I’ve seen.

• Lurker

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:41 AM

I believe I've taken at least 600-800mg of caffeine in one day (in caffeine pill form). It is a shot in the ass, but you feel like sh*t while you're on it. Caffeine pills are harder on my stomach than taking caffeine through food or beverage.

I may have taken more caffeine in the form of turkish or arabic coffee, that stuff can be thick as sludge and very high in caffeine. Fill one thermos with it and polish it off over 1-2 days, it's easier on the stomach than caffeine pills and keeps you awake and alert quite well, however you still experience the jitters.

Personally I prefer finding the right mix of supplements to replace caffeine throughout the day. As of recently I haven't been taking caffeine very often.

#10 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

Caffeine in Chocolate
http://www.chocolate..._article_02.jsp

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Lurker

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what function does Theobromine perform in the body?

#12 bdnf

• 69 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:23 PM

"Theobromine affects humans similarly to caffeine, but on a much smaller scale. Theobromine is mildly diuretic (increases urine production), is a mild stimulant, and relaxes the smooth muscles of the bronchi in the lungs. In the human body, theobromine levels are halved between 6-10 hours after consumption.

Theobromine has been used as a drug for its diuretic effect, particularly in cases where cardiac failure has resulted in an accumulation of body fluid. It has been administered with digitalis in order to relieve dilatation. Because of its ability to dilate blood vessels, theobromine also has been used to treat high blood pressure."

Ref: http://chemistry.abo...y/aa090301a.htm

#13 strongman

• 27 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

If there is no caffeine in chocolate how come "CHOCAMINE" claims to be standardized for caffeine and threombine ??

#14 Mind

• 19,074 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:13 PM

Strongman, there is caffeine in chocolate.

#15 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:48 AM

caffeine and threombine are both xanthines

#16 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

strongman or anyone who tried it, can you compare the effects of chocamine with coffee and chocolate? thanks

#17 strongman

• 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:16 PM

noos,

Chocamine is very good, it wakes you up gives you motivation, and somewhat happy as well. Closest thing is unsweetened bakers chocolate. (After reading this thread I know I'm not the only person to have done this for a caffeine boost!) Chocamine has a much more pronounced effect than the bakers chocoalte though. I really love this stuff and can't wait for smi2le.biz to get it, I've orderd from Bulknutrition before, but as I'm in Canada I don't like paying two separate shipping charges.

As for the comaprison to coffee, I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't tell you. However, it's probably better than coffee, as chocamine has lots of other great things in it besides caffeine. For more information goto bulknutrition.com and read their writeup on it.

Cheers,

Strongman.

#18 strongman

• 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

noos,

Chocamine is very good, it wakes you up gives you motivation, and somewhat happy as well. Closest thing is unsweetened bakers chocolate. (After reading this thread I know I'm not the only person to have done this for a caffeine boost!) Chocamine has a much more pronounced effect than the bakers chocoalte though. I really love this stuff and can't wait for smi2le.biz to get it, I've orderd from Bulknutrition before, but as I'm in Canada I don't like paying two separate shipping charges.

As for the comaprison to coffee, I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't tell you. However, it's probably better than coffee, as chocamine has lots of other great things in it besides caffeine. For more information goto bulknutrition.com and read their writeup on it.

Cheers,

Strongman.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 rahein

• 226 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:53 PM

I take about 1.5g of chocamine before I workout if my energy level is low. I do not take it everyday because it upsets my stomic a bit. It does not give me as much of a pick me up as a strong cup of coffee though. I ordered it from BN also.

I allways take it with some green tea and have never got the gitters from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users