• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is there anything one can take to dull their emotions?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KeNsKuNkIn!!

• 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:58 PM

Is there anything other than benzos and ssri? Is there anything thats herbal or a russian peptide drug more powerful than selank? A friend and i started talking about it after we saw the movie equilibrium with Christian Bale and Taye Diggs. We had a five hour debate on the film's fictional drug prozium, if such a thing exist what would we have that mimics its effects.

#2 KeNsKuNkIn!!

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:12 AM

I forgot to mention that it the substances must not be a "cognitive killer" as in making one incapable of critical thinking and completing task.

Edited by KeNsKuNkIn!!, 09 May 2010 - 12:16 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Perhaps lithium?

I happen to be pretty sensitive to its effects. With a low therapeutic dose (600mg Lithium Carbonate, or 113mg elemental lithium) I can still function cognitively but it turns me into an emotional zombie. I had a similar reaction the first time I tried lithium orotate about six years ago. Not everyone will be as sensitive though. The therapeutic range is close to the toxic range, so be careful.

I don't find benzos to be emotionally dulling, just calming. But withdrawal (for me, at least) increases emotional lability.

#4 KeNsKuNkIn!!

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

Perhaps lithium?

I happen to be pretty sensitive to its effects. With a low therapeutic dose (600mg Lithium Carbonate, or 113mg elemental lithium) I can still function cognitively but it turns me into an emotional zombie. I had a similar reaction the first time I tried lithium orotate about six years ago. Not everyone will be as sensitive though. The therapeutic range is close to the toxic range, so be careful.

I don't find benzos to be emotionally dulling, just calming. But withdrawal (for me, at least) increases emotional lability.

Thanks for the reply, You helped me think of a new way to rephrase my question. Is there anything that has the zombifying effects of lithium without negative side effects such as toxicity or addiction or some irreversible form of brain damage?

#5 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:22 AM

Perhaps lithium?

Thanks for the reply, You helped me think of a new way to rephrase my question. Is there anything that has the zombifying effects of lithium without negative side effects such as toxicity or addiction or some irreversible form of brain damage?

Low doses of lithium are actually neuroprotective.

Why are you trying to dull your emotions in the first place? Are they interfering with your work or life? Emotions and cognition use the same neurotransmitters; it's hard to affect one without perturbing the other. Emotional responses also help memory - long-term potentiation in the hippocampus is greatly enhanced by emotional experiences. Evolution has caused our brains to remember things that are highly rewarding and highly unpleasant to that we can seek or avoid those things in the future.

It's also part of the reason sexual mnemonics work best for memorization. (I never took neuroanatomy, but I still know mnemonics for the names and types of cranial nerves.)
Depakote (Valproate) is another mood stabilizer. It makes me really hungry though.

#6 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:26 AM

Any modern Bi-polar disorder drug. Lithium orotate. EPA w/out DHA.

#7 KeNsKuNkIn!!

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:29 AM

Perhaps lithium?

Low doses of lithium are actually neuroprotective.

Why are you trying to dull your emotions in the first place? Are they interfering with your work or life? Emotions and cognition use the same neurotransmitters; it's hard to affect one without perturbing the other. Emotional responses also help memory - long-term potentiation in the hippocampus is greatly enhanced by emotional experiences. Evolution has caused our brains to remember things that are highly rewarding and highly unpleasant to that we can seek or avoid those things in the future.

It's also part of the reason sexual mnemonics work best for memorization. (I never took neuroanatomy, but I still know mnemonics for the names and types of cranial nerves.)
Depakote (Valproate) is another mood stabilizer. It makes me really hungry though.

Haha my friend and i have no intentions of dulling our emotions. We just have a bad habit of checking to see if somethings from fiction exist in the real world or if they're even possible. Its how we discovered this great website full of intelligent people like you.

#8 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Depending on you, there is quite a few drugs that you could find that do this. I read an article about a modafinil user who had to stop taking it because htey became so emotionless and 'robot'-like, so drugs like that could do the same?

#9 KeNsKuNkIn!!

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Depending on you, there is quite a few drugs that you could find that do this. I read an article about a modafinil user who had to stop taking it because htey became so emotionless and 'robot'-like, so drugs like that could do the same?

Robotic like!? Man that is scary.

#10 Rain

• 165 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Robotic like!? Man that is scary.

haha yeah it's what he was talking about, he would be able to sit and read/study the most boring topics ever for hours and feel nothing- like a robot!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 ex_banana_eater

• Guest, F@H
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Some doctors advocate taking propanolol after a very traumatic event to reduce the likelihood of post traumatic stress disorder. It will basically make the memories of the traumatic event less intensive and vivid. You can't go back and erase a memory from a long time ago, you have to take this soon after the incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users