Photo
- - - - -

Exercise and Nootrophics - Safe?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paradigmshift

• 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

I've recently began a very basic regime of Piracetam (2000mg twice daily) and on occassion, Modafinil 50mg. My question is this - is extensive cardiovascular exercise safe whilst using these drugs?
I am a keen runner and run 40-60 mins, 3 times a week, with weight training interspersed. Is this a safe practice to continue? If anyone could direct me towards any papers or research journals on the subject I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

I think you should be looking for a study that proves there is a correlation between increased risk for cardiovascular damage and piracetam/modafinil consumption, rather than looking for studies which dismisses a correlation. Typically what sparks a study is first an observation "oh, Subject X took modafinil and then died running on the treadmill later today", and as far as I know there's no cases of that happening. Exercise is good for you, and taking nootropics/stimulants doesn't really change that. Besides, if anything bad was going to happen, on say amphetemines, when your blood pressure is above normal...your body would start saying "STOP RUNNING!" before you had a heart attack. The young body is also designed to cope with this drug-induced high blood pressure. It's the reason that kids using adderall don't keel over and die on MODERATE doses.

In fact, here's a study where they measure exhaustion time during intense exercise: http://journals.lww....xercise.23.aspx.
If these guys are literally sprinting to the point of exhaustion on modafinil, surely no acute risks exist.

Still, I wouldn't recommend using modafinil to become superhuman and run faster than normal. So in short, if you're using modafinil "occasionally" TO STUDY, there's nothing that will do to your running abilities or cardiovascular health.

As for piracetam, that's like asking if table sugar will make running unsafe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users