• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Poll on free will and choice

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Free Will and Choice (47 member(s) have cast votes)

I believe that human beings make "free" choices and/or decisions

1. Yes (16 votes [34.04%])

Percentage of vote: 34.04%

2. No (20 votes [42.55%])

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

3. Undecided (11 votes [23.40%])

Percentage of vote: 23.40%

I believe that machines make "free" choices and/or decisions

1. Yes (2 votes [4.26%])

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

2. No (32 votes [68.09%])

Percentage of vote: 68.09%

3. Undecided (13 votes [27.66%])

Percentage of vote: 27.66%

I believe that human beings have "free will"

1. Yes (17 votes [36.17%])

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

2. No (18 votes [38.30%])

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

3. Undecided (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Delorean

• 78 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:54 AM

We have a measure of free will because it has been proven that we can alter our brain structure by thinking.

I don't see how that demonstrates anything other than that thinking alters brain structure.

#32 Astroh

• 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I don't think 'free will' is well defined. Choices are either predetermined or random. I'm not sure what 'free will' really means.

I agree with "free will" isn't well defined :
So WE are free to decide that "Free Will" will be what we decide or choose freely to define under that expression :

Definition ( example of ) : "Free Will" is our self - defining power to define it-self as self - defining power , and sothe power to connect other decisions and choices we make with this autodetermination power WE DECIDE to be.

We haven't to find "free will" as an objecive phenomenon in physical reality : in any modell of "observed reality" what "WE" observe there is a nexus of "determinations" and "random" ( and very complex mathematical functions which could describe approximately such "interactions" in "objective reality" , in given physical theories ...)

The problem of "free will" IS NOT to "explain" the ways which lead from past states to present state of "objective reality", but to choose and decide about our OPEN FUTURE, and share with others "free will" as WE decide to be, what OUR COMMON FUTURE SHOULD BE, as deciding beings .

If there is an OPEN FUTURE , then we can choose ( in the "now" of actual presence and subjective consciousness ) to turn our attention and action towards different goals.
And so you CAN name these ability "free will" : no knowledge of past or actual "reality" is sufficient to "determine" us in our own choices :
Only if YOU decide that some of your actual knowledge is sufficient to lead your choice in a given direction, this knowledge will "determine" your choice.

As "free will" , you aren't a "neutral" or passive observer out of the "reality" ! You are involved in "reality" , but nobody has nor can have a complete knowledge of "reality" .
And you can freely choose a philosophical theory in which what we call "reality" is not fully "defined" ...

So , if you decide that "Free Will" will not "exist" , it's your "Free Will" to make this choice ... and to assume the logical contradiction of your own "will" .
If you decide that there is "NO FUTURE" , then there is "NO FREE WILL" : but that is YOUR CHOICE ... not all possible choices .

#33 Willou

• 39 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I voted no to all of the choices. I agree with Sam Harris.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 lifebuddy

• 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

The whole idea of "no free will" has always seemed logically attractive to me. It just makes sense in terms of the cause-and-effect backdrop to my high school science classes. One action always leads to another and was caused by another. The chain of events stretches back into the blue yonder, unbreakable and solid. Everything that happened, happened because something else happened, and therefore it is philosophically possible to imagine a machine that could predict everything that will happen. However, the very nature of my existence - this strange thing that we call consciousness, is too powerful of a force to ignore. Why would I be aware of and appear to be in control of my decision making process if it was not necessary at all?
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users