- - - - -

Aniracetam as an anxiolytic?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Anxiolytic effects of aniracetam in three different mouse models of anxiety and the underlying mechanism

Kazuo Nakamura, and Mitsue Kurasawa
CNS Supporting Laboratory, Nippon Roche Research Center, 200 Kajiwara, Kamakura, Kanagawa 247-8530, Japan
Received 6 March 2001; revised 12 April 2001; accepted 18 April 2001. Available online 12 June 2001.
Abstract
The anxiolytic effects of aniracetam have not been proven in animals despite its clinical usefulness for post-stroke anxiety. This study, therefore, aimed to characterize the anxiolytic effects of aniracetam in different anxiety models using mice and to examine the mode of action. In a social interaction test in which all classes (serotonergic, cholinergic and dopaminergic) of compounds were effective, aniracetam (10–100 mg/kg) increased total social interaction scores (time and frequency), and the increase in the total social interaction time mainly reflected an increase in trunk sniffing and following. The anxiolytic effects were completely blocked by haloperidol and nearly completely by mecamylamine or ketanserin, suggesting an involvement of nicotinic acetylcholine, 5-HT2A and dopamine D2 receptors in the anxiolytic mechanism. Aniracetam also showed anti-anxiety effects in two other anxiety models (elevated plus-maze and conditioned fear stress tests), whereas diazepam as a positive control was anxiolytic only in the elevated plus-maze and social interaction tests. The anxiolytic effects of aniracetam in each model were mimicked by different metabolites (i.e., p-anisic acid in the elevated plus-maze test) or specific combinations of metabolites. These results indicate that aniracetam possesses a wide range of anxiolytic properties, which may be mediated by an interaction between cholinergic, dopaminergic and serotonergic systems. Thus, our findings suggest the potential usefulness of aniracetam against various types of anxiety-related disorders and social failure/impairments.

Anyone with anxiety has experience with it?
  • like x 1

#2 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

It's one of the better racetams in that it doesn't make you feel "speedy" I take a dose before work and it keeps me level headed - not frazzled, or stressed out like I normally get. Yes, it's definitely good for those with anxiety issues.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dilenja

• 89 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

I've recently used Aniracetam (180mg to 1500mg daily) from January through April of this year, and I definately perceived potent anxiolytic effects that seemed to persist even on days where a daily dose had been missed. The effects were calming and at times also seemed slightly anhedonic. Little things that I normally would have internalized didn't seem to bother me as much, and I found I was better able to assert myself with others and wasn't as inhibited by how I thought others might perceive me. I also noticed that events such as presenting in front of large groups which normally would have caused an adrenaline rush, didn't, and that at times everything seemed to emotionally blend together, which was somewhat concerning to me at times.

Some days I found that I functioned better taking 750mg Ani divided in two doses, however I found the effects on a higher dosage to be somewhat inconsistent and so I mostly gravitated toward lower dosages of 180mg twice a day after a few months of usage, which I perceived more reliable in effect. During this same period I had also been taking galantamine (4mg to 8mg daily), and I suspect galantamine may have been partially responsible for the emotional blurring I experienced. Since discontinuing Galantamine earlier in May this has subsided.

I still take Ani, but not everyday now that school has finished. I have good results now with 180mg of Ani combined with 400mg to 800mg of Oxiracetam, which seems to be smoother and better for overall comprehension than either of the two by theirselves.

#4 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:15 AM

Yeah it often hit me with an anxiolytic clarity, with a 30% chance of fogginess.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Piracetam did nada for me. Would aniracetam be a good route next or are they all basically the same? Has anyone had success with other racetams but not pira?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users