Nootropic Bacteria?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

An article from Science Daily today:

http://www.scienceda...00524143416.htm

Matthews and Jenks fed live bacteria to mice and assessed their ability to navigate a maze compared to control mice that were not fed the bacteria.

"We found that mice that were fed live M. vaccae navigated the maze twice as fast and with less demonstrated anxiety behaviors as control mice," says Matthews.

In a second experiment the bacteria were removed from the diet of the experimental mice and they were retested. While the mice ran the maze slower than they did when they were ingesting the bacteria, on average they were still faster than the controls.

Interesting concept, suggesting that those of us whole intake common bacteria in soil may experience increased learning capabilities and decreased anxiety.

Reminds me of a futurama episode where Fry eats a infected hamburger out of a vending machine...but anyway.

#2 Ginnungagap

• 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

An article from Science Daily today:

http://www.scienceda...00524143416.htm

Matthews and Jenks fed live bacteria to mice and assessed their ability to navigate a maze compared to control mice that were not fed the bacteria.

"We found that mice that were fed live M. vaccae navigated the maze twice as fast and with less demonstrated anxiety behaviors as control mice," says Matthews.

In a second experiment the bacteria were removed from the diet of the experimental mice and they were retested. While the mice ran the maze slower than they did when they were ingesting the bacteria, on average they were still faster than the controls.

Interesting concept, suggesting that those of us whole intake common bacteria in soil may experience increased learning capabilities and decreased anxiety.

Reminds me of a futurama episode where Fry eats a infected hamburger out of a vending machine...but anyway.

Found on wikipedia:

Treatment of mice with a 'friendly' bacteria, normally found in the soil, altered their behavior in a way similar to that produced by antidepressant drugs, reports research published in Neuroscience.
http://www.medicalne...icles/67146.php

Exposure to dirt may be a way to lift mood as well as boost the immune system, UK scientists say.
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/6509781.stm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Exposure to dirt may be a way to lift mood as well as boost the immune system, UK scientists say.
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/6509781.stm

That explains Rastafarianism!

#4 Runner

• 28 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Sucks for me to have acne and need to take antibiotics then :(

#5 babcock

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

When I had acne I found antibiotics only made things worse. Seemed the more I did to upset the "natural" state of my skin the worse my acne got.

#6 xdopamine

• 59 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Cool, where can I get my injection? :)

#7 gzz

• 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

When I had acne I found antibiotics only made things worse. Seemed the more I did to upset the "natural" state of my skin the worse my acne got.

Amen to this, I never resorted to internal antibiotics, but benzyl peroxide is a "kill everything" treatment that just made things worse for me. I tried lots of topical treatments, but what I believe works the best is to leave your face as natural as possible, and give your body the nutrients it needs to get it's immune system under control. Soap nor razor has touched my face in years and I seem to be better off, but I got my biggest results through strict dietary changes.

I imagine Runner could benefit from having this smart bacteria around if he were to go off antibiotics though, I'd love to get ahold of a culture to seed my garden with. I wonder if it's something that can be easily aquired by asking the right people, or if it's destined to become another patented lifeform that very few have access to.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

I wish I had known this before I got the Primal Defense Probiotic with 'Homeostatic Soil Organisms' then I could have at least been in the running for the placebo effect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users