June Goals

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

June 2010 VIP Outreach Goals

Criteria- We'll post this some place more official when we get it worked out, but here is the starter list.
-somebody we can get through to about the cause.
-preferably mid range VIP, because big ones are likely to be bombarded with mail and or be too busy or full of themselves, etc... to small of a VIP and it can start to defeat the purpose.
-preferably somebody that has mentioned something related to this cause before, and of course that doesnt have a negative opinion of it. Direct mentions of living forever, or cryonics or something are best, but things like, for example we sent a letter out to Mark Cuban in November because he mentioned his open mindedness to performance enhancing drugs.
-make sure they are not negatively controversial.
-preferably somebody with a high top fade.
-more potential criteria to be added as we go.

This is a loose guideline, but recommended:

First Week- Pick three contacts, look up contact info, and call right away to verify you can reach them through the contact info. I suggest taking suggestions with reasons why now, 5 to 10 of them, then widdle them down on the 6th and 7th. Use the criteria, and remember that the criteria is evolving. You can add to that and discuss that any time too.

Second Week- Craft the letters.

Third Week- Put the final touches on the letters and send them out. Optional: send out an email at this time too.

Fourth Week- This week is a buffer week, for waiting for responses, doing optional potential calls, making sure the books get sent out, preparing for the next month, you could throw in a bonus contact or two during this time if your feeling ambitious.

#2 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

ok I'll give this month my full energy. Bruce Willis, and I have a few others in mind.

#3 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

I regret due to a lot of things converging at once for me (mostly relating to cryonics issues), I did not this month (May) get out the letters to Messrs Brown and Reynolds.

I will however now make them my picks for this month (June), and share my drafts for them shortly.

Edited by David Styles, 04 June 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#4 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I know you're busy with many projects so don't worry about it, thanks for the update.

#5 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

I fixed some wordy things and edited it, and I think it's a much better, more interesting letter that will grab attention.

Dear Bruce Willis:

My name is Devon Fowler, and I head up the VIP Outreach project at the Immortality Institute; a non-profit longevity/anti-aging organization.

Some people have described you as a free thinking person, and you clearly seem like someone who cares deeply about humanitarian causes. Well we are working on one of the most important causes to ever be thought of, which is focusing on eradicating aging, and thus diseases that come with it. Right now we really want to inform people with influence and fame like yourself, and other people about what's happening in anti-aging right now.

Our organization is focused on defeating the aging process in humans. What most people don't realize is that there is burgeoning research into ways to slow down, halt, or even reverse the aging process in people. I can assure you it's being very much worked on, although we need the public's support to really get this off the ground.

You may be familiar with Dr. Aubrey de Grey, who is an English bio-gerontologist who has set up an organization called the SENS Foundation (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence). He and his team work to combat what he refers to as the 7 causes of aging that have been identified, through an innovative engineering approach; he has also written a top selling book called “Ending Aging,” which discusses his unique vision. I have sent you a copy of this book. Articles describe De Grey as brilliant, way ahead of his time, and a real humanitarian wishing to end the uncomfortably short lives we have now due to mostly aging.

I would love to chat with you further about this, so we cordially invite you to our web-online chat show called “Sunday Evening Update.” On this show we have talked with many other guests about their opinions on life extension, and we would very much like to hear yours!

You can contact me at fowlerdevon@gmail.com or on my cell at (cell number)

Sincerely,

Devon Fowler
VIP Project Manger
Immortality Institute
www.imminst.org

Edited by dfowler, 16 June 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#6 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:51 AM

Dear Mr. Reynolds,

It's rare to see a politician who looks further forward than the next election.

Since you are such a person, and spoke at the UK Transhumanist Association last year, we were wondering if you'd kindly consent to do the same for another organisation, ImmInst.

ImmInst's mission statement is "to end the blight of involuntary death", and to this end looks to make use of emergent technologies to accomplish this, within the framework of a technologically advancing society. Today's research science is tomorrow's applied science.

If you'd be willing to speak, perhaps on our online "Sunday Evening Update" show, on the topic of what can be done within a political context to bring about a more intelligent use of technology to provide such good to all, that'd be fantastic.

Let me know if this sounds good to you in concept, and we can take it from there. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Eternally,

David Styles
Director, ImmInst

Edited by David Styles, 22 June 2010 - 12:52 AM.

#7 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:52 AM

Dear Mr. Brown,

During your time as Chancellor of the Exchequer, and subsequently as Prime Minister, one of the things that stood out the most to me was your frequent and vociferous defence of stem cell research - thanks to which, life has been preserved that would not otherwise have been.

I'm writing on behalf of ImmInst, an international organisation whose mission statement is "to end the blight of involuntary death", and to this end looks to make use of emergent technologies to accomplish this, within the framework of a technologically advancing society. Today's research science is tomorrow's applied science.

If you'd be willing to speak, perhaps on our online "Sunday Evening Update" show, on the topic of what can be done within a political context to bring about a more intelligent use of technology to provide such good to all, that'd be fantastic.

Please do let me know if this sounds good to you in concept, or if you have any alternative suggestions, and we can take it from there. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Eternally,

David Styles
Director, ImmInst

#8 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

nice letters you briefly talked about ending the blight of involuntary death and made it more vague and thus I think will entice the readers to learn more about what we do.

I'll try to do a similar model for my letters instead of droning on.

I guess keeping it short, in this case, probably is best.

Edited by dfowler, 22 June 2010 - 01:23 AM.

#9 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

I read through the 3 letters and I think they'll work. "blight of involuntary death" is a bold tool to use with outreach. It may not work but Im glad to see it tried out more.

Im writing to the chair of The Center for Futurism in Education, Aharon Aviram.

Heres the letter:

Hello Professor Aviram,

I work with Imminst, Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans. We are a part of the movement for indefinite life extension, and a branch of transhumanism. As you’re the chair of The Center for Futurism in Education we are wondering what your views on incorporating indefinite life extension concepts into the educations of our growing generations are. One of our next main goals is to inform the world, and of course, what better minds are there to inform than the fresh young, still world view forming, seeking, searching minds of the those in our school systems. It is those minds that are going to be developing into the marketers, politicians, researchers, and others that will be taking this movement through to completion. Time is of the essence. Getting through to them sooner than later is a matter of life and death.

We are sending you a free copy of our book, The Scientific Conquest of Death. It is a collection of essays by those such as notable futurist Ray Kurzweil, and pioneering biogerontologist Aubrey de Grey. If we can interest you, we would be grateful to interview you on our small web show called the Sunday Evening Update, and get your ideas on this concept, whether they be critical or positive. To arrange a time that works for you, email support@imminst.org or get a hold of me directly at 1-715-344-4054.

Very Best of Regards,
Eric Schulke
Director
Imminst

#10 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

I`m busy with children`s sickness and summer vacation until after the first week of August, but will try to find some contacts.

I`m thinking to find German politicians to write to since I know far more about them. What do you think? Are we ready to go international with the letters?

My draft letter is somewhat more conservative and does not refer to imminst etc. actively. I thought a lot about this and believe it is better to start weaning people into the idea of lifespan extension slowly. "Immortality institute" is counter-productive in this sense - I`m sorry, its just true. People automatically shut down when I talk to them about this, at least the conservative people with money I am trying to convince.

I`m also not asking to pour money into specific companies as I was advised that might be a legal problem, at least in the US. Do any of you know any about this?

Here`s my draft

Honored (xxx),

Please allow me to address you with a question today that is very dear to our and thousands of people`s hearts: The research of regenerative medicine and the scientific intervention in the process of aging.

"Anti-aging" has become popular throughout the world. It is time to take it seriously.

We need you to give more support to the scientific community which researches regenerative therapies and aging intervention!

Who wants to age and degenerate? Not you, not me and not the majority of the people.

To defeat the diseases affecting humanity and to, ultimately, delay and halt the process of aging so we can live longer, more productive lives, should be the main interest of the science of our time. They need funding and support by politics to achieve this goal. The theme of “aging intervention” has come up all over the world, but many companies are working only towards parts of this goal (for example: Alzheimer immunisation, affiris et alia, cancer nanotechnology (especially iron), discovery of viral RNA replication, Rutgers University Newark, Retinas from embryonic stem cells, UC Irvine and so on). This approach, while commendable, will not be successful ultimately because it only addresses some aspects of the whole.

But the pursuit of individual diseases is like trying to hold up an avalanche by throwing back individual snowballs. As we get older, the degenerative processes in our cells – right to our very core of being, the brain – proceeds until there is a total system failure. This degenerative process is what needs to be addressed, not only the individual diseases.

How can true aging intervention benefit us all? Firstly, it will save the national health system many billions if the underlying cause for many expensive diseases – cell degeneration and cell death – is found and subsequently conquered. We would stay active, healthy consumers for a very long time, able to take part in the working process with growing experience and wisdom – and without the hinderances that cell degeneration impose on us. We would not need national funding for life because no one would become too frail to work. We would not need pensions etc. anymore – indeed that system could be abolished entirely. A long-lived society would also – out of self-interest – take better care of this planet and likely be more peaceful.

Every step we take takes us closer to an Age where people do not have to succumb to the indignities and painful recline of old age. The first goal is to delay the onset of aging considerably. This is reachable within our lifetime, some breakthroughs have already been achieved. Stopping aging will be mastered one day – lets speed up the process so we do not miss true anti-aging by one or two generations!

Help us take these steps. Please endorse the concept of Aging Intervention and the companies and research groups that pursue this goal. It is not just a dream. It is a scientific chance – let it happen in our lifetime.

Yours sincerely,

Edited by chrwe, 25 June 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

I`m thinking to find German politicians to write to since I know far more about them. What do you think? Are we ready to go international with the letters?

Yes, for sure, we always have been international. We pick people from all over the world. My pick for this month is in Israel for example. As for politicians, yes, go for it. We also had a budding political outreach team looking to start collecting local coordinators for political outreach through the Coalition to Extend Life, but the organizer there, Tom Mooney, has dropped off the face of the planet. He's writing a book about the politics of indefinite life extension and I think he has become disenchanted by the slow rate of growth that the movement is in this decade. What I suggest is, write politicians through the VIP Outreach team for now, and if you want, later we can look in to firing up a Political Outreach team. We'll want to give it some more thought though. Perhaps fire Coalition to Extend Life back up, perhaps put it under a general outreach banner (theres a media outreach needing to set up down the line too), or other.

My draft letter is somewhat more conservative and does not refer to imminst etc. actively. I thought a lot about this and believe it is better to start weaning people into the idea of lifespan extension slowly. "Immortality institute" is counter-productive in this sense - I`m sorry, its just true. People automatically shut down when I talk to them about this, at least the conservative people with money I am trying to convince.

Yes, for sure, we are right there with you. Most of the time we dont refer to Immortality Institute. I usually say something like Longevity Communities Network, and sometimes use the generic "Imminst". If you want to target a conservative crowd then that is great and there are other tools we can get you in help with that. You can consider spreading the Longevity Dividend paper for example, or our open letters like this one: http://www.imminst.org/cureaging/ Also with open letters, I wonder if we might want to update that one, and then also, would it make sense to design an open letter specifically for politicians to consider endorsing too? Maybe you could consider writing one up for proposal.

I`m also not asking to pour money into specific companies as I was advised that might be a legal problem, at least in the US. Do any of you know any about this?

I wouldnt ask them about money anyways at this point, but rather focus on opening up a dialogue, getting them information like books, pamphlets and links, and trying to get their support. If the opportunity to talk about money presents itself I would then arrange a meeting to go over it.

Here`s my draft
Honored (xxx),

Please allow me to address you with a question today that is very dear to our and thousands of people`s hearts: The research of regenerative medicine and the scientific intervention in the process of aging.

"Anti-aging" has become popular throughout the world. It is time to take it seriously.

We need you to give more support to the scientific community which researches regenerative therapies and aging intervention!

Who wants to age and degenerate? Not you, not me and not the majority of the people.

To defeat the diseases affecting humanity and to, ultimately, delay and halt the process of aging so we can live longer, more productive lives, should be the main interest of the science of our time. They need funding and support by politics to achieve this goal. The theme of “aging intervention” has come up all over the world, but many companies are working only towards parts of this goal (for example: Alzheimer immunisation, affiris et alia, cancer nanotechnology (especially iron), discovery of viral RNA replication, Rutgers University Newark, Retinas from embryonic stem cells, UC Irvine and so on). This approach, while commendable, will not be successful ultimately because it only addresses some aspects of the whole.

But the pursuit of individual diseases is like trying to hold up an avalanche by throwing back individual snowballs. As we get older, the degenerative processes in our cells – right to our very core of being, the brain – proceeds until there is a total system failure. This degenerative process is what needs to be addressed, not only the individual diseases.

How can true aging intervention benefit us all? Firstly, it will save the national health system many billions if the underlying cause for many expensive diseases – cell degeneration and cell death – is found and subsequently conquered. We would stay active, healthy consumers for a very long time, able to take part in the working process with growing experience and wisdom – and without the hinderances that cell degeneration impose on us. We would not need national funding for life because no one would become too frail to work. We would not need pensions etc. anymore – indeed that system could be abolished entirely. A long-lived society would also – out of self-interest – take better care of this planet and likely be more peaceful.

Every step we take takes us closer to an Age where people do not have to succumb to the indignities and painful recline of old age. The first goal is to delay the onset of aging considerably. This is reachable within our lifetime, some breakthroughs have already been achieved. Stopping aging will be mastered one day – lets speed up the process so we do not miss true anti-aging by one or two generations!

Help us take these steps. Please endorse the concept of Aging Intervention and the companies and research groups that pursue this goal. It is not just a dream. It is a scientific chance – let it happen in our lifetime.

Yours sincerely,

This works. I think it does the job, and that youll figure out how to adjust the wording to be more poignant if you do more of these. Not that its not poignant now, but I sense room for more impact, as with most of our letters. This sentence seems like it could be reworded:

To defeat the diseases affecting humanity and to, ultimately, delay and halt the process of aging so we can live longer, more productive lives, should be the main interest of the science of our time.

As for your examples, those will work, but you could talk to Sven or Eternal Traveler or John Schloendorn or any of a variety of others around here to get some even more direct examples. I would consider giving them some more concrete ways to "endorse the concept of Aging Intervention and the companies and research groups that pursue this goal." But remember as always, dont fret too much, there is always the next month to work on getting better at it. In the mean time, decent contact is better than the overwhelming, murderous silence that currently emenates from the movement for indefinite life extension.

#12 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:11 AM

Typical, I was just about to print my picks for this month out, to post them tomorrow, and upon checking my mail, observed that I have mail from one of my VIP picks for this month already, who has all so recently written to me to enquire regarding a cryonics matter.

So, I'll adjust what I had written for Darren Reynolds and put it in a contextual reply to his mail to me.

The letter to Gordon Brown, I'll send as planned tomorrow, since Gordon Brown didn't take it upon himself to pre-emptively contact me.

#13 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

I sent my letter to Roni Aviram out last night.

So you already got through to Darren Reynolds? Thats great. So how he contacted you before you could contact him? You know, that reminds me, how about if we designate July to contacting people to see about getting them to speak at or attend the conference? If you want then draw up a list and we'll emphasize to conctact those people in July. We can ask people to do more than the regular 1 per month. We can also have people suggest people we contact to speak, and they can write to anybody really, in the Brussels area, asking them to attend.

Remember all, its important to get your letters in by the end of today. We need these in not only to keep the team moving, and to work to get through to more VIP's, but we need this to add to the monthly growing list of volunteers. Every month we can show growth is inspiring more to join and volunteer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users