Photo
- - - - -

Being more realistic...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 CryoBurger

• 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:31 AM

I found this article to be refreshingly rational.

http://ieet.org/inde...treder20100607/

---------------
Excerpt:

I no longer accept as gospel common transhumanist assumptions: that human immortality is clearly on its way; that general artificial intelligence is obviously possible and likely imminent; that a post-scarcity society is the inevitable result of accelerating progress; or that mind uploading can and will be achieved.

I still think that most of those things are at least theoretically possible, but that they each represent only one of many strands of possibilities, and that what really will happen is probably something that no one has thought of yet.

It takes a lot of time for truly transformative technologies to emerge. Even in these days of “rapidly accelerating change,” the Internet took about 30 years to have a substantial social and economic impact (and would have taken longer still if not for the secondary development of the World Wide Web). Early advocates for space expansion boldly predicted we’d have thriving O’Neill colonies by this time, which we don’t. Some proto-transhumanists were sure that life extension technologies would make us effectively immortal within their lifetimes but many of them are dead now. And meanwhile, we’re still waiting for artificial intelligence to resemble anything close to its half-century-old promises of transcendent superiority.

It’s not that these technological visions don’t have value; it’s just that they almost certainly are going to take a great deal longer to achieve than their proponents would prefer. And along the way, plenty of other changes will take place that will render the landscape of that future time far different from what is currently foreseen.

I’m sorry to say this, but I now regard much of what passes for deep thought in transhumanist discourse as little more than poorly informed techno-utopian speculation. I try to recognize where dogma has crept into our thinking and I’m working where I can to root it out. I’m practicing a healthy skepticism.
  • like x 2

#2 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Sounds interesting from what you've posted. I'll have check it out in full later.

While it's certainly difficult to extrapolate things pertaining to transhumanism, I still wouldn't rule out current predictions as entirely implausible. If exponential progress really is occurring, then judging things relative to the past would be inaccurate.

#3 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

I found this article to be refreshingly rational.

http://ieet.org/inde...treder20100607/

---------------
Excerpt:

I’m sorry to say this, but I now regard much of what passes for deep thought in transhumanist discourse as little more than poorly informed techno-utopian speculation. I try to recognize where dogma has crept into our thinking and I’m working where I can to root it out. I’m practicing a healthy skepticism.

I wonder how well informed he is about technology and its advancement in general. Just because past predictions didn't come true doesn't mean that predictions will never be accurate.

Kurzweil has been fairly accurate (and here i mean reasonably accurate. he had misses too of course but his general ideas of the tendencies of technology have been more accurate than anyone else's) in his predictions since his forst book, "The Age of Intelligent Machines, from 1990. It's worth to read it to see what his ideas were 20 years ago.

#4 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

The rate of technology advancement is exponential. Something on the scale of 30 years implementation 30 years ago would take significantly less time now.

#5 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

The accumulation of ideas and data from a multitude of sources - and any estimate on a technology which basics we do not know yet - is per definitionem just an informed guess. However, informed guesses about technology have been proven to be surprisingly accurate.

About timelines: I think these are next to impossible to gauge in both directions. So, saying that we will "stop ageing" in 30 years, in 70 years, in 200 years is just a pure guessing game. It could be tomorrow, for all we know, or it could be never.

One thing is for sure, tho: If we stop trying, if we stop working, if we stop hoping, it WILL be never. So, lets not stop.

Edited by chrwe, 10 June 2010 - 02:26 PM.

• like x 1

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

Confusing emotion and probability. I do it all the time, but I am trying to do it less. I don't see the point of blaming technological progress (or lack thereof) for a personal lack of happiness. I do it a lot, but I am trying to do it less.

#7 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

I've noticed from observing the Deepwater Horizon situation that people assume the existence of technological solutions to the problem BP created, and they expect and demand that someone finds and implements one of these solutions immediately.

In other words, I haven't heard of anyone who makes deathist-like arguments that we should accept a contaminated Gulf of Mexico as an existential reality; learn to deal with it through religion, literature and humor; and dismiss efforts to cap the well as "false hope," "denial," "poorly informed techno-utopian speculation" and other pejoratives I've heard applied to cryonics.

Given the lack of success in getting this well under control so far, have people formulated an irrational belief in the inevitability of a technological solution to the problem? And what differentiates their expectations from cryoncists' expectations about the power of technology?

Edited by advancedatheist, 14 June 2010 - 03:31 AM.

• like x 1

#8 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:04 AM

I agree that Kurzweil's "Accelerating Change" predictions are basically just a cloud of buzzwords. But it's not like everything has to happen right away. For example, in my case, cryonics only has to work 60 years from now (or SENS has to work in 40). Then I have hundreds of years (hopefully) for technologies like advanced nanotech to come along. Also, along the way, technology might develop to a point where it's not good enough to revive a vitrified body, but it's good enough to reduce the damage that the passage of time inflicts on a vitrified body, thereby buying me even more time. Cryonics can bridge to better cryonics, to still better cryonics, etc, and then to nanotech, mind uploading, or what-have-you. We're only 500 years into the Scientific Revolution, so it's really not clear what will be possible in another 500 or 1000 years.

I object to this line of thinking: A says something that sounds fantastical and magical, and B denies this in favour of a mundane, prosaic view. B is therefore the more rational one, because everyone knows "rational" means conservative and less optimistic.

That's not what "rational" means. Someone who believes in the power of cryonics (and other transhumanist technologies) just because they sound magical is clearly foolish and irrational, but so is the person who disbelieves in those same technologies for precisely the same reason. Neither one is actually making a rational assessment; both are being intellectually lazy.

Edited by Trent, 27 September 2010 - 12:07 AM.

• like x 1

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:24 AM

About timelines: I think these are next to impossible to gauge in both directions. So, saying that we will "stop ageing" in 30 years, in 70 years, in 200 years is just a pure guessing game. It could be tomorrow, for all we know, or it could be never.

It could be tomorrow or never, but both are unlikely. If one's predictions are based on a combination of how bad they want it and their age, then yeah, it's a guessing game. If it's based on an understanding of the kinds of developments that are needed and the status and directions of molecular biology, then it at least has a rational basis. I suspect that we'll chip away at the problem over the next several decades, and each "chip" will buy us a little more time. It might be impossible to tell exactly when we've "cured aging", but people will on average live longer and longer.

#10 enoonsti

• 81 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:06 AM

the damage that the passage of time inflicts on a vitrified body

All biological activity has stopped at those temperatures, so I don't think you will have to worry about the continuation of catastrophic damage :cool:

#11 Delorean

• 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:03 AM

I object to this line of thinking: A says something that sounds fantastical and magical, and B denies this in favour of a mundane, prosaic view. B is therefore the more rational one, because everyone knows "rational" means conservative and less optimistic.

Yes, one of my pet hates! You see that literally everywhere.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

This is kinda what I feel too :/ You can read articles about people not too long ago saying how those therapies to make them live forever will soon come.. But they are all dead. I am afraid that there is nothing here proving us different :/

A lot of promises, a lot of talk, yet I look outside and I see the desert around where I live, the simple houses made of concrete, people affected by heat and cold.. driving cars and every day life just feels primitive in a way, doing nothing of purpose, nothing which makes sense, nothing that is remotely related to our goal and it's not about me not doing anything, it is about everyone else too, as if it doesn't exist.

I know people will come up and show me how virtual reality is being made (still far from anything useful), artificial organs to save life had been proven (but where are they?). But still, even if they come they are no cure still. You can easily die before getting the organ, be denied of the organ, maybe on the operations table? Still, nothing about our brain. Uploading seems to be only copy and we are far from being able to even speculate anything useful. Nothing to keep our brain and even if we could somehow by 30-50 years stay young forever and defeat every disease (How?!) then there is still trauma and humans. How great that humans are such a great risk to humans. :/

In truth, most of the stuff are big maybes and even if they come and are somewhat useful I don't see them extending life for too long, even if we have artificial hearts, livers, etc the whole system is aging, our blood vessels, our countless of nerves around the bed, muscles and no one talks about them. Our brain is irreplaceable I already said.

People say "look we have iphones, of course we will have immortality soon" but I don't see how iphones and smartphones are all that related to our understanding of the whole human mechanisms. I can understand how better and smaller computer help but it is mostly used for entertainment and less used for what we might want it to. Even if it was, we all know how long research really takes and that is way too long.

It may seem that our only chance to maybe achieve something is through the gamble of cryonics, which is actually no gamble, it is a chance, a try and a hope which may or may not be feasible. We definitely hope it can, it definitely makes sense it could but in truth we simply don't know, that is why I am sure each of us would take it if got to it (which the way I feel seems to be the only way to go :/) and who knows what else.

To screw up some possible nice feelings even more, even if we do somehow manage to survive our current BLURGHness, the universe doesn't seem to be lasting forever and no, the thought of dying even if 5 billion years or I dunno how many trillion or google or more and maybe countless of years surely does not make me happy. One step at a time I know, but truly it just seems as if we are in one big SUCK.

Obviously I will still keep hoping, fearing and never accept death, never accept to die. I just hope I really have a choice :(

#13 enoonsti

• 81 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

People say "look we have iphones, of course we will have immortality soon"

This line brought a huge smile to my face :-D

Also, in regards to nonexistence, I'm not all that worried (from a selfish perspective). It's like what Dr. Wowk said in another thread: think of it as the tree that falls when no one is around. Even if you're in terrible shape on some hospital bed, you never know if that's the last moment you'll be conscious.... and if it is, well, you certainly won't be able to lament that it was the last moment. That's the funny thing about this; you never know if X will occur until X happens, but if X happens you won't be capable of knowing that X happened.

Instead, I support cryonics because my nonexistence will hurt the people I love. Contrary to popular belief, cryonics really is all about helping other people; I love my family and I want them to stick around. Likewise, if they fully understand cryonics, they'll want my dewar to be right next to theirs.

#14 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

This is kinda what I feel too :/ You can read articles about people not too long ago saying how those therapies to make them live forever will soon come.. But they are all dead. I am afraid that there is nothing here proving us different :/

A lot of promises, a lot of talk, yet I look outside and I see the desert around where I live, the simple houses made of concrete, people affected by heat and cold.. driving cars and every day life just feels primitive in a way, doing nothing of purpose, nothing which makes sense, nothing that is remotely related to our goal and it's not about me not doing anything, it is about everyone else too, as if it doesn't exist.

I know people will come up and show me how virtual reality is being made (still far from anything useful), artificial organs to save life had been proven (but where are they?). But still, even if they come they are no cure still. You can easily die before getting the organ, be denied of the organ, maybe on the operations table? Still, nothing about our brain. Uploading seems to be only copy and we are far from being able to even speculate anything useful. Nothing to keep our brain and even if we could somehow by 30-50 years stay young forever and defeat every disease (How?!) then there is still trauma and humans. How great that humans are such a great risk to humans. :/

In truth, most of the stuff are big maybes and even if they come and are somewhat useful I don't see them extending life for too long, even if we have artificial hearts, livers, etc the whole system is aging, our blood vessels, our countless of nerves around the bed, muscles and no one talks about them. Our brain is irreplaceable I already said.

People say "look we have iphones, of course we will have immortality soon" but I don't see how iphones and smartphones are all that related to our understanding of the whole human mechanisms. I can understand how better and smaller computer help but it is mostly used for entertainment and less used for what we might want it to. Even if it was, we all know how long research really takes and that is way too long.

It may seem that our only chance to maybe achieve something is through the gamble of cryonics, which is actually no gamble, it is a chance, a try and a hope which may or may not be feasible. We definitely hope it can, it definitely makes sense it could but in truth we simply don't know, that is why I am sure each of us would take it if got to it (which the way I feel seems to be the only way to go :/) and who knows what else.

To screw up some possible nice feelings even more, even if we do somehow manage to survive our current BLURGHness, the universe doesn't seem to be lasting forever and no, the thought of dying even if 5 billion years or I dunno how many trillion or google or more and maybe countless of years surely does not make me happy. One step at a time I know, but truly it just seems as if we are in one big SUCK.

Obviously I will still keep hoping, fearing and never accept death, never accept to die. I just hope I really have a choice :(

nicely put, but you forgot about AGI. MaxLife has a whole proposal which includes everything from 5 to 10 years slowing aging, then genetic engineering, stem cells and SENS to slow it down more, then halt it and then by that time AI's will do the rest, is the thinking, and to cure all diseases? Nanomedicine in the hands of an AI will probably cure 99%. This project called the Manhattan Beach project includes Aubery, Kurzweil and many others and has been a work in progress for 10 years, it just was unveiled. They say nutraceuticals will slow aging in 5 to 10 years. http://www.maxlife.org/pdfs/mbp.pdf

Also, Luna, you're like 20, ok, I agree research takes eons sometimes, but there "maybe" exponential progress even in medical science, if not, then surely faster, much faster than anytime previous...let's hope Aubrey gets his funding and the research is all open source so every lab team interested can contribute, thus getting past the horrible patent problems of present medical progress. Then there are other countries where there ARE biotech labs working on age related diseases, and who knows what other anti-aging companies will form? You just don't know.

Yes I share your pessimism all the time, but I try to think of the best possible scenario, and the worst one, and you're thinking of the worst one.

If you live long enough to benefit from organ transplants and tissue engineering, then it makes sense that you would be in time for David Kekich's estimate of slowing the whole aging process, which is just 5 to 10 years, according to his proposal. If it takes 50 to 70 years, you'll STILL be around to benefit from that....And if SENS isn't up and running by then, even I would be surprised.

Life is still primitive, obviously especially in certain countries and certain areas, I totally agree, but when you do see the man made things like cities as in New York City and Boston, it's easy to think, wow, we really are more advanced then I might expect. True, this doesn't mean we are there yet with defeating aging, but man, have you ever googled a list of biotech companies, in the U.S. alone? There are oodles, and so many, if not most in the U.S., are half an hour away from me in Cambridge, Mass. I get goosebumps driving by the Whitehead Institute, Genzyme, and so many more I can't recall. What's to say these labs don't start working on slowing aging in the next 5-10 years? Perhaps we need to develop a really solid PR campaign for imminst, and SENS and Methuselah, I am told have very good PR people, I'm going to start volunteering my time for SENS marketing this week.

It's interesting, I was coming out of a cafe yesterday and met my friend Maggie, who says she is religious, I told her about imminst and SENS, and at first she was hesitant saying, "everyone dies, it's natural." I gave her a few solid arguments and by the end of the night she said, "when you find the magical elixir count me in!" I didn't get her hopes up, at all, but just gave her solid information, on the slow but interesting progress in this burgeoning field. When I asked if she knew about Cryonics she said, yes freezing people right? I said, yea, and she pulled a 360 and actually had the insight to say, "I bet if I did freeze myself," they would discover in the future that the process was all wrong, and I would be dead." I said that's exactly what many of us worry about! It's amazing how "smart" some people can be about things they know so little about.

Edited by dfowler, 28 September 2010 - 03:03 AM.

• like x 1

#15 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Cryonics has a lot of untouched potential. So what if I'm too old, slow, apart, sick, mad, and poor for cheap Life Insurance? Simply put, don't sign up for it, because you wouldn't belong to the potential customer group from insurance agents who are dealing with the right financial instrument suitable for cryonics anyways.

Guess what, there are some organs in me that don't work good, one already missing. Don't ask me about the health of my nervous system too. So what doesn't work good enough are organs. What I'm learning from this: if there could be biological organs created in a lab, so what? Under room temperature, they quickly turn into nothing more or less but rotten meat. Put them into the freezer, problem solved.

Cryonics is worth a fortune, because it's exactly doing the right thing: organ preservation. Those who believe they are capable of dealing with something more scientific should directly check out cryogenics. No way, simply cryogenics. Certainly, the in vitro production of organs in a mobile lab for immediate implantation at various surgical facilities would also be good as an alternative.

Cannot study medicine or biotech stuff, because the university hospital is outside your range? So keep an eye on software development and virtual reality. I was told by a med student, he had to do research on cadavers that made him vomiting, so he escaped from the dissecting room in the act. Would be better to study more on a virtual cadaver before. So whoever has an intelligent brain can probably learn how to program this and sell licensed copies of that software. Perhaps one can become rich, espc. when cryonics organizations would buy this stuff to train their staff.

Learn more about the growth of organs unless you are just the original crazy old robomoon or a copy of it. Be realistic!

Edited by robomoon, 02 October 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#16 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

I think it's something like 2 trillion - 100 trillion years (come on, that's a fuckload). Michio Kaku has suggested we could migrate into a new universe through an artificial wormhole every time our current universe is winding down, and perhaps use this trick to survive indefinitely.

Edited by Trent, 05 October 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#17 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

I think it's something like 2 trillion - 100 trillion years (come on, that's a fuckload). Michio Kaku has suggested we could migrate into a new universe through an artificial wormhole every time our current universe is winding down, and perhaps use this trick to survive indefinitely.

Unproven and unlikely physics do not increase my hope much, should stay realistic and hope there is a way within this universe.

#18 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Baby steps ....lets make the first 200 before we worry about the next 2,000,000,000,000,000

#19 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

Baby steps ....lets make the first 200 before we worry about the next 2,000,000,000,000,000

Yep! I did mention I am far from confident about those too, and just added the bigger number to screw up things even more.

#20 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Yep! I did mention I am far from confident about those too, and just added the bigger number to screw up things even more.

If I don't live forever and do die ....

I hope that my very last breath is shortly followed by my very first breath. Well the first in a very long long time, at least as perceived by me, as in reality a long period of time will have passed while I was suspended. I also hope that I will be younger, without my aches and pains and wrinkles and liver spots, and whatever else happens to me by the time I reach old age.

Wishful thinking ....but I will take a .00000000000001% chance over a 0% chance. I have beaten the odds once already due the simple fact that I exist... perhaps I can do it again.

#21 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

Unproven and unlikely physics do not increase my hope much, should stay realistic and hope there is a way within this universe.

Uhhh, okay. So what kind of proven and likely physics is going to overturn the second law of thermodynamics? Interesting use of the word "realistic".

Anyway, living "forever" is not a meaningful idea (definitionally), but even living indefinitely is probably impossible. Your risk of death per century is never going to be zero, and no matter how infinitesimally small it is, eventually it's going to add up to 100% and you'll be dead.

I think life extension should be about getting more time to do the things you want to do, not simple fear of oblivion.
  • like x 1

#22 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

I think life extension should be about getting more time to do the things you want to do, not simple fear of oblivion.

Fighting for existence is one of the most rational things you can do if you firmly believe that when you die, you are gone forever. Accepting death as inevitable, in this case, is the irrational behavior. This is why religion has had such a hold on humanity, the sweet sweet (but false) promises of eternal life and escaping oblivion.

#23 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Actually, if you could backup your brain and prove it to actually work + defeat the energy/thermodynamics problem, then you could easily eliminate the chance for your death/demise to 0% because even if you die you will just come back.

I am sure some sort of networking could achieve that, making a person be more than one brain, networking in real time somehow, I hope. But that is only a speculation, so far I am left with far more optimism :/ I don't want to die but damnit, stupid world. Hope not to die anyway, somehow ;)

#24 Delorean

• 78 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Fighting for existence is one of the most rational things you can do if you firmly believe that when you die, you are gone forever. Accepting death as inevitable, in this case, is the irrational behavior. This is why religion has had such a hold on humanity, the sweet sweet (but false) promises of eternal life and escaping oblivion.

Is accepting you are going to die so irrational if the odds are 100% that you will die at some point over the course of trillions of years?

#25 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

Actually, if you could backup your brain and prove it to actually work + defeat the energy/thermodynamics problem, then you could easily eliminate the chance for your death/demise to 0% because even if you die you will just come back.

I am sure some sort of networking could achieve that, making a person be more than one brain, networking in real time somehow, I hope. But that is only a speculation, so far I am left with far more optimism :/ I don't want to die but damnit, stupid world. Hope not to die anyway, somehow ;)

You will never get to 0%, anything that is made can be unmade. Unless you plan on wiping out the rest of humanity once you get there.

#26 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

You will never get to 0%, anything that is made can be unmade. Unless you plan on wiping out the rest of humanity once you get there.

Even if the rest of humanity is gone there are still major risks :/

#27 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:27 AM

Unless your risk of death is 0% over the fullness of time, you are going to die at some point in the future. The same is true about civilization.

#28 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

Transcending the physical form perhaps would remove the chance of death. Existing anywhere or everywhere?

Perhaps there is some merrit into accepting death as inevitable over the course of a trillion years, but I see no rationality in blanketly accepting death. If we could choose to end our existence rather than have that end forced upon us .....

#29 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

@@...

#30 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

I really hope there is some way scientifically to ascension like in the stargate series. Ascension would need extremely advance scientific knowledge though. Yeah I know it is sci-fi but it does not seem impossible to exist as a energy being. We are made of atoms, atomic particles, and energy at the basic level. Existing as a energy being would possibly end death completely, unless you get sucked into some blackhole, but you should be able to detect blackholes as being directly made of energy.

My goals in the following order:

1. Have extreme life extension, and continue to add genetic enhancements to increase survival
2. Become biologically immortal
3. When the technology arrives, possibly become bionic or have a nanobot or robotic body.
4. If scientifically possible one day ascension

I think 3 would probably take at a minimum one century to occur. Scientific knowledge probably will greatly increase from there and 4 would probably take at a minimum one thousand years to occur if enough people work on it. If there becomes a way to speed up or skip a number closer to 4 then that is even better too.

Edited by firespin, 09 October 2010 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users