• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Cheap, safe and long-term effective nootropics?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

So I'm looking for nootropics which are:
1) Cheap: low monthly cost.
2) Safe: well tolerated, rare and fairly benign side effects.
3) Effective long-term: some evidence for nootropic effects shown by studies, at least some users have long-term success without cycling to avoid tolerance.

Considering this pretty steep wish-list; what are your recommendations?

P.S.
Personally I often have problems with side effects from medication and herbs. I'm currently a student which is why budget is an issue. My main problems are motivation and energy although considering my intellectual vanity other nootropic effects such as concentration and memory are certainly welcome too.

I started Piracetam yesterday which on paper seems to hit all three points (though I'm a little tired and I have a terrible headache today despite eating lots of eggs). I'm considering ALCAR next which seems very promising according to my research.

The other racetams looks a tad expensive for my taste even though I'm intrigued by their reported effects.
I've tried Bacopa for a few months but felt lethargic, depressed and demotivated by it. I've tried Rhodiola which seems to improve my mood and energy though I haven't found any really cheap source for it. Also considering Eluthero if I can find a good source.
D.S.

#2 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

ALCAR, this is the best supplement in my regimen.
Caffeine (always in moderation).
I don't think piracetam fits in the "long term" category as I haven't heard of that many success stories of piracetam constantly performing. I've found in the past week that my daily dosage isn't really doing anything for me anymore and I'm going to take a 3 week break or so and see if I can get back on the horse after wards. I know some people report that piracetam constantly performs for them but there are many threads on here attempting to solve the "adaptation" issue.
Lion's Mane, not necessarily cheap but long term is a necessity. Not a motivator, just NGF stimulator.
I really think one of the best things is a good diet, good sleep, and good exercise. Make sure you're getting all your vitamins either from what you eat or from supps (I really noticed the effects when I started supplementing Vitamin D). Living a healthy lifestyle is prolly the most beneficial thing you can do. Melatonin is helpful if you're a restless sleeper but I find the standard dosage too much (headaches) and it also leaves me really groggy in the morning upon waking.

I've also come to nootropics to hopefully stimulate my energy and motivation and I can't really say much other than ALCAR and caffeine really stimulate me (ALCAR not so much stimulating just a real fog clearer in the morning) . Piracetam gives me the ability to concentrate more but doesn't motivate me at all.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Babcock, thank you for your fast and interesting reply. I do exercise and take a multivitamin and Omega3, I'm guessing most of us here do. Great to hear your success with ALCAR, I'll get some myself soon.

When it comes to caffeine I get all of the effects and side effects of it; increased energy, elevated mood, talk faster, generally more hyper, anxious, nervous and somewhat of a diuretic effect as well. Caffeine might be ok if I could limit it to two cups of green tea a day but I usually develop a tolerance to it and increase the dosage until I have a couple of pots of coffee a day with all of the side effects that goes with that amount of coffee. I'm going to try a cup of green tea to see if it helps with my current headache though so thank you for the tip.

You are right that many people here seem to get diminishing returns when it comes to long-term Piracetam. The few that have reported long-term success are enough for me to at least try the nootropic myself though. I'm currently trying out 2 g per day, 1000 mg in the morning and 1000 in the evening. Though I'm considering lowering the dosage because of the headaches and to avoid long-term over-saturation, if that makes sense.

Melatonin might be good for some people but I sleep quite well already, I'm also sceptical when it comes to taking stuff that messes with your hormones since the body usually adapts itself accordingly which might cause complications in the long run.

Lion's mane seems like an excellent idea and I plan to add that to my regimen when I feel like my finances allow it.

My knee-jerk reaction (which of course might be placebo since I got the Piracetam yesterday) seems to confirm what you said about Piracetam, it actually seems to help somewhat with concentration (I can read through an entire article online from start to finish without getting distracted and flipping through tabs in firefox or looking up stuff from the article) but it hasn't helped my motivation noticeably so far.

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

It looks like you are on the right track. If you are price conscious make sure to look into buying bulk powder of both piracetam and alcar. Much much cheaper.

#5 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

When it comes to caffeine I get all of the effects and side effects of it; increased energy, elevated mood, talk faster, generally more hyper, anxious, nervous and somewhat of a diuretic effect as well. Caffeine might be ok if I could limit it to two cups of green tea a day but I usually develop a tolerance to it and increase the dosage until I have a couple of pots of coffee a day with all of the side effects that goes with that amount of coffee. I'm going to try a cup of green tea to see if it helps with my current headache though so thank you for the tip.

Yea, I used to drink a ton of coffee (like a pot by myself over the course of the day)but then I weaned myself off it using green tea. Now all I drink is green tea and white tea at like 16 oz. per day. If I ever touch coffee now or a large soda for that matter I'll develop a caffeine headache. So pretty much I don't use a large amount of caffeine anymore, I find a good night's sleep and my ALCAR/R-ALA/piracetam/mug of green tea combo in the morning to wake me up enough but not make me jittery.

You are right that many people here seem to get diminishing returns when it comes to long-term Piracetam. The few that have reported long-term success are enough for me to at least try the nootropic myself though. I'm currently trying out 2 g per day, 1000 mg in the morning and 1000 in the evening. Though I'm considering lowering the dosage because of the headaches and to avoid long-term over-saturation, if that makes sense.

Yea, until a few days ago my morning dosing of noots would be:
588mg ALCAR
150mg R-ALA(not so much a noot but I feel it should be taken in combo with ALCAR to reduce oxidative stress)
3g piracetam
5000 IU every other day in winter Vitamin D (I definitely noticed a change in my mood when I started supplementing this so I'm including it here)
1 tsp of Lion's Mane powder in my tea every day.

I found the synergy between these supps to work really well. I was really surprised I wasn't developing headaches from the piracetam dosage because before I started ALCAR I was just doing CDP-Choline and Piracetam and after two weeks or so I would get headaches. Anyway, chrono suggested ALCAR was helping with choline better than the CDP was and I wanted to experiment with higher doses (4-8g). Previously I had dosed at these levels and it was the only time I noticed piracetam having a noticeable effect. Over the next few days I raised my dosage 1g at a time all the way to 8g and noticed nothing. My conclusion was I had adapted to the piracetam so now I'm taking a break and I'll see if I can get back on in 3 weeks or so. When I start again I plan on only doing small dosages too as I do not find the high dosage distinguishable effect useful.

Melatonin might be good for some people but I sleep quite well already, I'm also sceptical when it comes to taking stuff that messes with your hormones since the body usually adapts itself accordingly which might cause complications in the long run.

Interesting side note on this, Last night was the first time in a week or so (started a week ago) that I didn't take melatonin before bed, and guess what? I didn't fall asleep all night! I never had problems sleeping before but was taking the melatonin for neuroprotective reasons suggested by several studies. I think I'm going to hold off on taking the melatonin until I get a bit older (as older people tend to naturally get less and less sleep) and actually need it to get 8 solid hours. Here's hoping I haven't screwed up my pineal gland.

Lion's mane seems like an excellent idea and I plan to add that to my regimen when I feel like my finances allow it.

Good thread with lots of research papers and analysis on Lion's Mane here, if you haven't already found it.

My knee-jerk reaction (which of course might be placebo since I got the Piracetam yesterday) seems to confirm what you said about Piracetam, it actually seems to help somewhat with concentration (I can read through an entire article online from start to finish without getting distracted and flipping through tabs in firefox or looking up stuff from the article) but it hasn't helped my motivation noticeably so far.

My anecdotal experiences with piracetam have been these two cases:
Low dose (<3g), improved concentration, notably when reading chemistry research papers I actually read out the long chemical names in my head rather than skimming over them.
High dose (4-8g), almost light headedness but not in a dis concerning way, spacey, a heightened sense of things, effect is short lived.

On another note, I've also taken Pyritinol. I always got an afternoon headache from it so I would recommend avoiding it but that's just based on my personal experience. The first few times I did notice an effect similar to high dose piracetam but I quickly lost the effect after several days of taking it and only got the headaches.

#6 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Yeah Babcock, green/white tea is probably great in moderation. Moderation is not my strong suit though, I tend to go overboard when I indulge certain pleasures which is why I'll never ever even try nicotine or other addictive substances (I very seldom drink too), I think I have somewhat of a dopamine deficiency which might explain how I'm such a good responder to Rhodiola, coffee and stimulants. I tried some Concerta (like time released Ritalin basically) from a friend of mine. Concerta gave me hyperfocus and elevated mood to the point of hypomania but with terrible side effects (high pulse, nervous, teeth grinding, very linear thinking - I got so immersed in details I couldn't see the big picture anymore, granted I obviously took way way too much but it made me wary of stims in general especially since you build a tolerance to them).

Some green tea and a nap took care of the headache, at least for now. :D

R-ALA seems like a luxury to me, especially since I'm not really convinced regarding ALCAR's actual oxidative stress or weather oxidative stress is all that bad for your health in the first place. Of course I'm open to evidence to the contrary but to me it seems more like a safe guard than something that does an actual noticeable difference.

Yeah I've read some of your and Chrono's posts on ALCAR and choline. ALCAR have positive effects on ADHD on its own merits and the synergy between Piracetam and ALCAR seem excellent. That and the fact that more people seem to have adverse reactions to choline than ALCAR makes ALCAR very tempting.

This is something you might want to read: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6415738
Especially this sentence: "Piracetam at 4.8 g/day had a more rapid onset of action on behavioral variables than 2.4 g/day, but its therapeutic effect tended to diminish at 12 weeks, possibly as the result of overstimulation."
This is what I'm basing my decision of taking only 2g per day on. I'm afraid of overstimulation and that the effects of Piracetam will diminish due to a too high dose. I'm mentioning this since you seem to take quite large amounts of the substance and has experienced diminishing results as well as good results on lower doses. I might post this quote in the Piracetam micro dose thread that is active since it seems relevant.

My multivitamin only has 5 mcg of vitamin D, which is rated as 100% of RDI although I guess this is only something like 200 IU. I'll do some research and get back to you on this one. A friend of mine has also recommended vitamin D though. What change did you notice?

You seem to be aware of it but for others reading this thread I want to clarify why I'm against melatonin. If one uses a hormone as a supplement your body might get used to getting this from an external source and down-regulate the natural production (this might be true of other supplements as well). I've heard of body builders getting testosterone shots so their natural testosterone production shuts down and they become dependent upon external testosterone supplementation for the rest of their lives. Surely that is an anecdotal extreme but one is wise to be careful when messing with your hormones, especially when there is nothing directly wrong with them in the first place. In most cases the body is able to up-regulate it's natural production of the hormone when the supplementation ceases.

I decided against Pyritnol since the side effects might be rare but very very scary to me as someone who often get both effects and side effects from drugs. Headache is nothing compared to acute pancreatitis or cholestatic hepatitis. I considered Sulbutiamine as an alternative but the effects seem to be short lived which makes me question whether it is worth it.

#7 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Yeah Babcock, green/white tea is probably great in moderation. Moderation is not my strong suit though, I tend to go overboard when I indulge certain pleasures which is why I'll never ever even try nicotine or other addictive substances (I very seldom drink too), I think I have somewhat of a dopamine deficiency which might explain how I'm such a good responder to Rhodiola, coffee and stimulants. I tried some Concerta (like time released Ritalin basically) from a friend of mine. Concerta gave me hyperfocus and elevated mood to the point of hypomania but with terrible side effects (high pulse, nervous, teeth grinding, very linear thinking - I got so immersed in details I couldn't see the big picture anymore, granted I obviously took way way too much but it made me wary of stims in general especially since you build a tolerance to them).

I've just recently started taking N-Aceytl-L-Tyrosine (NALT) and have found it produces dopamine levels in my body similar to those I get after running a 5k/hard labor for a day followed by a relaxing shower. The first time I tried it, I used it before leaving for work, big mistake. Sat at my PC all morning not doing anything and being completely ok with it. Now I take it in the evening when I get home from work before I "unwind" from the day. You can see a more descriptive post of mine about it in this thread. You may be interested if you're looking to boost dopamine production, although it is quite pricey.

This is something you might want to read: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6415738
Especially this sentence: "Piracetam at 4.8 g/day had a more rapid onset of action on behavioral variables than 2.4 g/day, but its therapeutic effect tended to diminish at 12 weeks, possibly as the result of overstimulation."
This is what I'm basing my decision of taking only 2g per day on. I'm afraid of over stimulation and that the effects of Piracetam will diminish due to a too high dose. I'm mentioning this since you seem to take quite large amounts of the substance and has experienced diminishing results as well as good results on lower doses. I might post this quote in the Piracetam micro dose thread that is active since it seems relevant.

Thanks for that, definitely planning on dosing lower when I restart in a few weeks. I guess when I initially started a few months back the popular threads on the forum were pushing the idea of attack dosing and that piracetam produces a "discernible" effect when dosed correctly. I now believe the opposite.

My multivitamin only has 5 mcg of vitamin D, which is rated as 100% of RDI although I guess this is only something like 200 IU. I'll do some research and get back to you on this one. A friend of mine has also recommended vitamin D though. What change did you notice?

I started it in the winter. I definitely do not ever suffer from depression or anything like that (which I guess is generally when people notice the effects the most) but what I did notice was it gave me a subtle complacent feeling in the winter when I go into my windowless lab before the sun rises and leave after the sun sets. It's not like that ever pissed me off or anything but it just made me a little sad in the winter and would reflect in my attitude towards my co-workers during the day (I can be a bit of a sarcastic sally sometimes). After I started supplementing with D I noticed I stopped being so sarcastic (people stopped pissing me off as much) even condescending towards people and took on more of the attitude that it does you better to try to be nice to everyone rather than get mad when someone does something stupid. Hmm re-reading this paragraph makes it sound like quite a ramble but I don't really know of a better way to describe it. It was subtle enough that I can't give a great description of how it changed me but noticeable enough to, well, notice the change.

Edit: Ohh, I also haven't been sick since I started taking D and my allergies were not nearly as bad this spring as they have previously been. I've been told by a lot of co-workers who suffer from allergies that this spring was one of the worst in a few years. I wouldn't have guessed that at all. Not noot related but beneficial none-the-less.

I decided against Pyritnol since the side effects might be rare but very very scary to me as someone who often get both effects and side effects from drugs. Headache is nothing compared to acute pancreatitis or cholestatic hepatitis. I considered Sulbutiamine as an alternative but the effects seem to be short lived which makes me question whether it is worth it.

Yea plus they're kinda pricey.

Sounds like you know what you're doing though. Research is definitely the most important thing when trying a new supp. But it sounds like you're on top of that. You'll find a lot of great anecdotal experiences on these boards as well as links to scientific papers to help you decide what's good or not.

Edited by babcock, 22 June 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#8 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Ok thanks for the info on NALT. Although "Sat at my PC all morning not doing anything and being completely ok with it. Now I take it in the evening when I get home from work before I "unwind" from the day." hardly sounds like something for someone like me with motivational problems :D

Good luck with the Piracetam.

Well vitamin D sounds like it could be helpful for me then. Not that I have any allergies at all but I'm often condescending, snide and sarcastic. Especially when I'm in a bad mood or tired.

About research.
I find that Internet forums are great to get a general overview of products within a area. No matter if the forum discusses headphones, weapons or medical conditions they are almost always helpful in finding a few different possible solutions. I seldom post at these forums, but I read way too much. The battle-tested favourites of the forums are usually the most interesting in the long run.
When it comes to anything related to medicine I always consult pubmed to evaluate the different solutions though and try not to be too swayed by anecdotal evidence presented by forums. For instance this forum got me interested regarding Piracetam, but the decision to buy it and my current dosage is based upon scientific studies rather than any anecdotes from this forum. I might be mistaken but it seems to me right now that "attack doses" are mostly anecdotal rather than something documented by studies, especially when it comes to long-term effectiveness of Piracetam.

I'll look into vitamin D, but starting a second new supplement now would probably be a bad idea since it would be impossible to distinguish between the effects of the Piracetam and the vitamin D.

#9 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

Ok thanks for the info on NALT. Although "Sat at my PC all morning not doing anything and being completely ok with it. Now I take it in the evening when I get home from work before I "unwind" from the day." hardly sounds like something for someone like me with motivational problems :D

Well vitamin D sounds like it could be helpful for me then. Not that I have any allergies at all but I'm often condescending, snide and sarcastic. Especially when I'm in a bad mood or tired.

I'll look into vitamin D, but starting a second new supplement now would probably be a bad idea since it would be impossible to distinguish between the effects of the Piracetam and the vitamin D.

Yea, I wasn't suggesting it for motivation but if you have a dopamine deficiency it might do the trick.

Vitamin D is also cheap but yes it would be hard to discern and I've dropped my dosage of vitamin D to about once a week given that it's summer and I get out on the weekends. My winter dosage is once every other day.

#10 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

This is actually a pretty tough question. ALCAR and piracetam are pretty much no-brainers, because they are pretty safe, have valuable effects, have very few adverse effects, work well long-term, and very few people respond badly to them. ALCAR has a positive effect on mental energy, as well.

I have mixed feelings about piracetam's long-term usefulness. I tend to use it every day, and for years at a time. The effectiveness apparently decreases after the first month or two, but that's true of almost any psychoactive. I've been using it for 7 months in my present course, and rarely get any "wow, that's because of the piracetam" moments any more. But I do notice certain deficiencies if I leave it out. So I suspect that in a lot of cases, people who find it "stops working" have simply become accustomed to the effects, which have leveled off at a more sustainable point. Though cycling may still be worthwhile, to get some of those "wow" moments back...I'll probably consider this when I have a few more things I can cycle in.

Beyond this, things get a lot trickier. So many different interconnected and mutually exclusive mechanisms, side effects, and variety of possible responses to consider. The requirement for continued sustainability may be a bottleneck. Substances which have an impact on neurotransmitters tend to downregulate over time, as your brain attempts to restore homeostasis. While not ideal, making a space for as-needed or longer-cycled nootropics in your plan will open up many more possibilities.

Motivation is a pretty difficult target to enhance. Or rather, it may require some of the more esoteric substances discussed here. Substances which affect dopamine are worth trying, but tolerance is usually an issue.

Academic papers are a great tool to use, but it's possible to put too much stock in them. What gets studied is always a matter of what someone is willing to pay for. Except in pretty rare cases, this means using a disease model. It's usually where the grant and commercial money is. And beyond that, a lot of what we're concerned with here is very difficult to test. A study concluding that something is efficacious in treating ADD is really saying that it improved the measures they chose as indicators. Motivation is probably impossible to quantify (unless you're a rat, and are motivated by feeding arm tests). Keep in mind that studies are oftentimes trying to quantify subjective experience, with varying degrees of success. Just because an application or substance hasn't been studied, or has failed to increase a particular test measurement, doesn't necessarily mean that anecdotal accounts are invalid. Sometimes, they're a much better indicator than the papers which are currently available.
  • like x 1

#11 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

Chrono: As a long-term user of Piracetam I have a question - When you come off of a 6mo.-1 year daily regimen, do you find that the areas that were improved while ON Piracetam are now deficient? Or do the effects add up, and leave your brain in a better state than it was in before? Basically, I'm asking if the effects diminish without Piracetam, or does your brain adapt to it so that the effects are long-lasting?

I don't want to come off of Piracetam and find that I'm stupid/worse off without it lol, I wasn't planning on supplementing with nootropics for my entire life, just until I reach a point where I feel like I'm functioning optimally.

EDIT: Grr, I thought my last post didn't post, and don't know how to delete a post.. so I kind of double-posted, sorry.

Edited by Guru, 23 June 2010 - 01:25 AM.

#12 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:42 AM

As someone who has used Piracetam for years, and months at a time, when you would come off.. were you mentally "deficient" in the areas that Piracetam enhanced? Similarly to how if someone were to be prescribed Adderall, and were to use it for a few weeks straight, and then come off, and feel "slower" in the areas that were enhanced? I think this is what downregulation is, does it happen with Piracetam? I'm almost asking, in general, does your brain adjust to Piracetam to a point that when you come off of it, the areas that were improved are now even worse? Or when you come off of cumulative use, is your brain actually in a better "state" than it was before in those areas?

That's a slightly difficult question to answer. I think there's research showing an upregulation of ACh receptors, but piracetam works on enough systems that something else could get slightly downregulated. Either way, I think it's pretty safe to say that any deficits on cessation would be short-lived, a few days to a week. That probably goes for any improvement like ACh upregulation, too.

I've never noticed any rebound effect, personally. If there was, it was just a very slight fogginess like I didn't get quite enough sleep, and barely enough to register. I certainly notice if I don't take my piracetam/ALCAR and I try to do something mentally taxing like writing or technical reading (but then again, I have ADD, too). I feel like the deficiency I notice is simply because I've become accustomed to the enhanced ability, but I won't rule out the possibility of a slight rebound. But if I'm not doing something mentally taxing, I certainly don't feel any deficits when I skip doses.

I wouldn't say that piracetam improves brain architecture over time, such that your brain has a better base state when you come off it. However, there's a lot to be said for novel experiences, mental activity and new skills maintaining and strengthening your neural connections. So if piracetam enables/encourages you to do these things (which it does for me), then I would say it indirectly improves your brain over time ;)

#13 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

So that "fogginess" you described and slight fatigue when trying to do a mentally taxing task go away with a few days/weeks of abstinence?

#14 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:47 AM

I'm gonna throw my opinion out there for what it's worth. I've said it on other threads but I don't notice my stacks effects until I don't take them. When I don't take my morning ALCAR/ALA/piracetam it takes about an hour for me to "wake up" (i.e. start carrying a conversation with other people) similar to why I used to drink coffee upon waking but the stack doesn't give me the jitters or headaches like caffeine does. When I take my stack, by the time I get to work, 15-20 mins later I'm fully awake and alert.

#15 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

While we're on the topic of safety of Nootropics, I'll throw another question out there:

I've taken my heart-rate twice since starting Piracetam . . my resting beats were a 55 and 57, which is lower than the minimum.. is this a problem? Should I consult a doctor? Or is a slower heart rate on Piracetam normal?

#16 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:04 AM

All very valid points Chrono.
Yes, it really is a tricky question. I guess one way to obtain a similar end result could be to cycle a few suitable substances with similar effects. Such as doing Rhodiola for six weeks and then replacing it with Eluthero for six weeks and then going back to Rhodiola and so on. This might be a bad example but it is merely to illustrate that there might be certain substance-pairs or trinities that could form effective cycles for continuous use. Suggestions of nootropics which are suitable for such cycling are also very welcome.

Yeah motivation is a hard one. If the meaning of life was to gather pellets motivation would be much easier to quantify. I skimmed through the threads about motivation and couldn't really find anything which might work long-term. Perhaps some of the more stim-like substances, but I'm personally quite wary of them like I said earlier. Any suggestions whatsoever on non-stims which might increase motivation?

Perhaps my brain chemistry makes me prone to procrastination and makes it harder for me to decide upon what really matters or perhaps I'm to a certain degree looking for a magic pill to replace the lack of clear meaning in my life. I think I share this wishful pursuit of a magic pill with more people than are willing to admit it to themselves.

There are no magic pills when it comes to motivation but there might be something which can help me somewhat at least.

#17 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:24 AM

Guru, exercise leads to lower pulse since your heart then requires fewer beats deliver oxygen throughout your body. I don't get what you mean by "lower than the minimum" though, plenty of people have got a lower pulse than that.
Piracetam mitigates hypoxidosis according to this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7655763
In other words Piracetam might be beneficial to your ability to uptake oxygen and thereby lowering your pulse, just an hypothesis, since most people prefer a bad explanation over no explanation ;)

#18 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:10 AM

Oh ok, I was worried that my pulse was "too low," since most websites said normal is between 60 and 100 lol

#19 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

So that "fogginess" you described and slight fatigue when trying to do a mentally taxing task go away with a few days/weeks of abstinence?

I guess that paragraph wasn't that clear. I meant that when doing something mentally taxing, I notice I'm not as good at it as I'm used to, having been on piracetam for months. I don't think this is because I'm having a rebound effect, but just that I'm accustomed to a higher baseline. The possible fogginess I mentioned isn't even something I have a clear memory of, but I wanted to allow for the possibility that there's a very slight readjustment. Piracetam has a good 50 years of usage history, and is probably the most commonly used nootropic there is. You're asking good questions, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

If you haven't seen it, check out the Piracetam Rebound thread. Note that some people that posted were taking like 10g+ per days; I'm sure this accentuates problems. Some of this possibility is definitely due to personal neurochemical makeup, so it's not possible to say with 100% certainty what your experience will be. But I've never heard anyone say say that any effects from piracetam lasted more than a week or maybe two after cessation.

I posted 5 months ago that I thought there was a slight dip below baseline in verbal acumen for a few days after...again, it's so hard to say. Now I've had a lot more time with my new stack, and appreciate how much it improves my attentional difficulties. atm I'm more inclined to attribute this to upshifted expectations concerning my abilities, rather than a rebound due to downregulation. Maybe I'll take a break sometime this summer and see what I notice.

There are no magic pills when it comes to motivation but there might be something which can help me somewhat at least.

Guess you've never taken adderall, then? ;)

This is actually my #1 concern at the moment: trying to find something to replace adderall with regard to motivational effects. Adderall has a lot of downsides, and I too would like something more sustainable (in a number of ways). Things that affect dopamine help: tyrosine, NALT, manganese, and transdermal nicotine have all modulated motivation slightly for me, but none so completely or strongly as adderall. Some are quite weak (manganese), and are only useful if you're prepared to utilize the window. Others are only motivating in a certain way. For instance, I have much the same reaction to NALT that babcock does; it doesn't motivate me to do complex/intellectual things, but really helps me do simple things like clean my room or watch TV, which my mind is usually way too ramped up for. I'm playing with tyrosine this week, but so far it seems slightly more functional. Nicotine is a little more complex...somewhere between tyrosine and NALT, but much warmer, such that it motivates me to be more social.

Deprenyl and galantamine were mentioned a couple of times with regard to motivation, mostly in much older threads. I'm hoping to order deprenyl sometime this month, but it's definitely more of a serious pharmaceutical than a nootropic. Then there are pharmaceutical dopamine agonists of varying selectivity, but my impression is that lots of them have mental or emotional side effects which limit their usefulness.

I think it's worth considering lateral attacks for motivation, as well. Dopamine may be most strongly implicated, but psychologically, this doesn't manifest as a continuum of motivated <-> not motivated. Different emotional systems and behavioral patterns come into play, too. For example, I started taking low dose lithium orotate lately (120/5mg), mostly for neuroprotective effects, but also hoping for a slight mood uplift. At least at the moment, the slight alteration in stress response is making a big difference in what I'm able to motivate myself to do. My difficulties are still there, and pretty severe, but it's easier to implement certain adaptations...actually chipping away at something for 5-10 minutes, rather than avoiding it (even subconsciously) based on how difficult it is to make myself do it (a partially self-fulfilling expectation, it seems). This may only apply to me, because of some thought patterns the last 10 years of my life have imprinted in me, but I think it's worth considering that drugs can have effects on systems which aren't directly implied by their mechanisms.

I honestly have no problem admitting that I'm looking for a magic pill or two; it doesn't bother me in the least that so much of my subjective experience can be modulated via neurochemical mechanisms. In fact, I think it's pretty awesome. Our cultural ideology is really biased against this view; I think we want to believe that we're either the way we are (period), or changeable via frameworks of willpower and effort which are within our conscious control. However, if I thought nootropics/pharmaceuticals were somehow a substitute for trying to make myself a better person through all the other means at my disposal, then I would start to worry ;)

Here's a few paper summaries in my notes on motivation. I think this was for a post at M&M focusing on D1/D2. Mostly rats, but some of these are interesting nonetheless.

19331447 (comment in 19331471): D1/D2 antagonism caused rats to choose lesser rewards requiring less effort. Amphetamine administration blunted this effect, and biased them toward greater effort/reward ("bidirectional modulation of choice behavior"). D3 agonists/antagonists had no effect.

17142306: Evidence that D1 receptors in the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) encode whether or not an action is worth performing due to expected benefit/cost. Intra-ACC D1 antagonism reduced the tendency to expend effort for greater reward, while ACC D2 antagonism had no effect on this.[rat study]

17805307: "Cost/benefit decisions regarding the relative effort or delay costs associated with a particular response are mediated by distributed dopaminergic and glutamatergic neural circuits." Most relevantly, high doses of amphetamine caused rats to discount greater effort when seeking reward, while low doses allowed them to discount delay. NMDA agonism allowed discounting of both, but did not have as direct an impact on choices made.

15864561: D2 antagonism reduced tolerance for greater effort and delay to attain rewards, while inhibition of serotonin biosynthesis reduced acceptance of only delay.

18668030: Activation of D1/D2 biased rats toward risking painful response for greater reward; antagonism blocked this, and producd risk aversion. D3 operated inversely.

• like x 1

#20 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

I notice the best effects with Piracetam when taking 800mg, and then maybe, MAYBE, another 800mg later in the day, most of the time the one dose is good enough. Headaches always came with 3600mg+ doses after the first 2-3 days.

#21 aLurker

• Topic Starter
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

I just ordered half a kilo of ALCAR and a couple of hundred caps of 2000 IU D3.
I'm going to try 2g ALCAR and 6000 IU of D3 daily when I get the stuff. The more I read about vitamin D the more convinced I become that I probably have a deficiency. My thyroid values were quite low when I checked them this winter. Vitamin D seems to be needed for healthy thyroid functions and also for dopamine production. This combined with the fact that I get practically no sunlight might lead me to the conclusion that vitamin D is sorely needed in my case. I really haven't been outside for any longer periods of time since before my teens. I love books and computers more than sunlight :/
Thanks to babcock for enlightening me about vitamin D, my ignorance was in all likelihood hurting me.

Third day on Piracetam now, I took a cup of green tea too when I woke up. I actually feel great today. Continuing with 2g per day, absolutely no headache today and I have more energy than yesterday. I feel great, Piracetam hasn't improved my motivation at all though but I feel that my powers of concentration are better.

Chrono, I hope we find that magic motivation pill. I need motivation in general but also the motivation to actually finish tasks since I have a tendency to start tasks but never finish them. I'm a chronic procrastinator and I've gone through all of school basically just cramming for some hours before each exam. It became harder at the university but I'm still passing classes despite the nagging self-loathing telling me I'm far from living up to my potential and wasting my life watching TV or lurking forums instead of doing something productive. Well it's not that bad, I'm pretty damn awesome, but I know deep down inside that I would be even more awesome if I actually tried for once :p

About the dopamine, thanks for the info Chrono. I'll try to see if ALCAR and vitamin D takes care of it first. Then perhaps cycling some herbs, Tyrosine and phenylalanine. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll try the big guns like methylphenidate even though the side effects scare me. Memantine intrigues me too.

I'll go outside and enjoy the sunlight for a while now :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

I just ordered half a kilo of ALCAR and a couple of hundred caps of 2000 IU D3.
I'm going to try 2g ALCAR and 6000 IU of D3 daily when I get the stuff. The more I read about vitamin D the more convinced I become that I probably have a deficiency. My thyroid values were quite low when I checked them this winter. Vitamin D seems to be needed for healthy thyroid functions and also for dopamine production. This combined with the fact that I get practically no sunlight might lead me to the conclusion that vitamin D is sorely needed in my case. I really haven't been outside for any longer periods of time since before my teens. I love books and computers more than sunlight :/
Thanks to babcock for enlightening me about vitamin D, my ignorance was in all likelihood hurting me.

Third day on Piracetam now, I took a cup of green tea too when I woke up. I actually feel great today. Continuing with 2g per day, absolutely no headache today and I have more energy than yesterday. I feel great, Piracetam hasn't improved my motivation at all though but I feel that my powers of concentration are better.

Chrono, I hope we find that magic motivation pill. I need motivation in general but also the motivation to actually finish tasks since I have a tendency to start tasks but never finish them. I'm a chronic procrastinator and I've gone through all of school basically just cramming for some hours before each exam. It became harder at the university but I'm still passing classes despite the nagging self-loathing telling me I'm far from living up to my potential and wasting my life watching TV or lurking forums instead of doing something productive. Well it's not that bad, I'm pretty damn awesome, but I know deep down inside that I would be even more awesome if I actually tried for once :p

About the dopamine, thanks for the info Chrono. I'll try to see if ALCAR and vitamin D takes care of it first. Then perhaps cycling some herbs, Tyrosine and phenylalanine. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll try the big guns like methylphenidate even though the side effects scare me. Memantine intrigues me too.

I'll go outside and enjoy the sunlight for a while now :)

Great to hear! When I saw your location I thought vitamin D might be an issue. I know I read a study a while back that was done on the Scandinavian countries and found some ridiculous number, like 45% or something, of the population was deficient in vitamin D. Don't worry on being ignorant of it, before 2009 most other people were as well. Definitely the most talked about supp of '09. Plus vitamin D is super cheap. I got 120 caps for $4.80 which will last me a whole year on my dosing schedule, 1 every other day winter, 1-2 per week summer depending on outdoor exposure. Believe me, I knew nothing before I started following these boards. They are a wealth of information.

If you plan on dosing like that I would recommend 1g of ALCAR in the morning and 1g in the afternoon or dinner time to give a more continuous effect throughout the day. Also, I agree with hitting the Vitamin D hard at the beginning but 6000IU (IMO) is a lot. You will see people on these forums recommending mega doses even higher than that but I personally see it as a waste of money/potentially dangerous (I know Vitamin D shows no toxicity at high doses and stuff but it always seems moderation with everything is best). The only way you can track how your body is handling the Vit D is by getting your serum levels checked through blood work. For me, I don't feel like getting my serum levels checked every few months so I go with what a consider a "moderate" dosage. But I can see how a 6k IU/day might be a good attack for the first week or two, but after that I would cut it back to the recommended dosage once again IMO.

Green tea provides a great feeling and I think it's due to the Caffeine/theanine combo. I think they work together to both stimulate and calm, the caffeine stimulates and theanine keeps you from getting jittery. Great staple in my diet.

Keep us posted on your results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users