• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

When you die where do you expect to be?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: When you die where do you expect to be? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

When you die where do you expect to be?

1. Afterlife realm created by God (7 votes [10.94%])

Percentage of vote: 10.94%

2. Afterlife realm created by future scientists (4 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Afterlife realm created by aliens (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Another area of the computer simulation (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

5. Reincarnated (5 votes [7.81%])

Percentage of vote: 7.81%

6. Only to decay in coffin/cremated etc (16 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

7. Technology will keep me alive indefinitely (13 votes [20.31%])

Percentage of vote: 20.31%

8. Advances in medicine will keep me alive (7 votes [10.94%])

Percentage of vote: 10.94%

9. Other reason (please explain below) (11 votes [17.19%])

Percentage of vote: 17.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Solve

• 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

This is a poll.

When you die, where do you expect to be?

If you voted for 'Other reason' I am particularly interested in your view so please explain!

Solve :)

Edited by Solve, 25 June 2010 - 06:40 PM.

• dislike x 1

#2 Solve

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Mind uploading is the same as ending up in an afterlife realm created by future scientists (or aliens)!

But ending up in an afterlife realm created by future scientists/aliens could possibly mean other things too.

:tongue: Solve

Edited by Solve, 25 June 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#3 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

If there was something after death it would be a surprise for me, perhaps even a pleasant one.
But I rather not check it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Lots of people choosing other ;) --"I'll" be the same place I was before I was born--non existent. "I" may or may not be revived from cryonic suspension some day, won't matter to me either way. If I'm surprised by something else, or even getting to live again--then I'll deal with that then.

#5 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

With my Christian background i say in heaven with God.
But i hope not to die for a very very very long time. There is much to see and to do in this world.
  • like x 2

#6 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst."
- Mel Brooks

I expect to be dead and sleeping my way through oblivion. However, I do hope to be conscious somewhere pleasant.

Edited by Reno, 25 June 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#7 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

As far as location, I expect to be in about the same vicinity as where my body is moments after my death. How and where I go after that is open for debate.

I don't expect it to be a particularly religious experience, just like getting up every day isn't a religious experience. I definitely don't believe in the religion of dust and dirt either.

#8 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:07 AM

Well, I'm expecting to not die.

As well, I'm not expecting to 'upload'. More of a expansion into new substrates.

#9 chrwe

• Guest,
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I expect to die (accidents or disease hopefully absent) at an advanced age through medicine, maybe around 100 or 110, and that then I will sleep through oblivion

I hope that technology will be there to prevent death entirely before my expiry date, maybe through longlivety velocity, or that at least cryonics will work

I hope very vaguely and more out of desperation that there is an afterlife despite all rational evidence, but it would really be a surprise, albeit a pleasant one

Edited by chrwe, 26 June 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#10 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

I think maybe I'd expect to be in an afterlife realm that just is. Just like everything else simply is. Why things gotta necessarily be created by someone?

The way you pose questions shows that you believe the world to be created by someone. I think so too, but this is not the "right answer". The more I study biology the more i'm convinced that evolution is evolution of lifeforms. Not in the usual sense, but in the sense that one life form creates a brand new life form. It implies a brand new world for that life form to inhabit. And then one day that life form will create a new world and a new life still...

We've been created. Come on guys, DNA is just a programming code. In turn, our technology is our baby and the Internet is the new world that already exists and will exist for as long as there are humans and... way way way way way beyond.

#11 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

We've been created.

Doubt it, a sentient creator would have made better beings.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

IF I die I don't expect to be.

#13 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

I do not expect to die. Technology is where my hope lies.

If I die, and I happen to not get frozen, I will cease to exist. Permanently. Forever. I will never get to experience, learn, or discover anything new. That will be it. Quiet, raging, finality.

A whisper into oblivion.

Edited by Elus, 31 August 2010 - 06:18 PM.

• Agree x 1

#14 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

I expect to be in Florida.
  • like x 1

#15 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

On horse to Valhalla.

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

Olam Haba

#17 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

My mother woke up one morning and said "I had a dream that Debbie ______ got married"
And later that day, we received a call out of nowhere that a family member had died.
There is no way she knew or heard anything leading up to it.
It wasn't on news, in public view, on any other family member's mind.
It is extremely rare that family members die and it is also nearly unique that my mother had a dream of a wedding and mentioned it.
There were no other bunches of times where she mentioned it and nothing happened. This was the only mention, ever.
This was ages ago.
(BTW: dreams of weddings are associated with people dying according to early family lore and wider dream interpretation. Also, my mother rarely mentioned dreams.)

I had a dream that a huge waterbug was running around an empty hallway and I was chasing it. It wasn't a nightmare, but it wasn't particularly amusing either.
I woke up and thought it might be a dream about infestation, an unrealized goal, something elusive, something like that, but then I heard days later that a relative had to be resuscitated on the same night as I had my dream, since I mentioned dream in a scratch Notepad file, since I found it interesting, and could thus correlate the two by date.
I made no connection initially, but, later visited another relative who mentioned how my sick relative wanted to trick the nurses by putting a fake mouse nearby to jokingly scare her. They were apparently friends, so it wasn't a big deal, etc. It was funny, but I still didn't make the connection.
It was only later that I recalled that the sick relative had fake waterbugs years ago and would trick other family members at reunions etc by placing them in unexpected places and realized he was still up to the game due to the mouse tale.
Then I finally made the connection: that my sick relative's consciousness may have somehow affected my dream when he had to be resucitated; I am not sure if this is what happened, but the correlation is interesting.
This was just a few months ago.
(ALSO: it is very rare that I have dreams of insects and similar. In fact, I can only remember maybe one other time)

I just saw the Bodies exhibit and was most captivated by the nervous system installation. The closer one looks at the nervous system and actually sees it, that it's just a soppy net of tissue from differentiated stem cells in early development. The closer I looked, the more I realized I may never see consciousness in it.
(NOTE: saw Bodies exhibit just a few days ago. well after the dream and realization)

I am more convinced than ever that life, the universe and consciousness are nearly inscrutable mysteries.
Anyone who pretends to understand consciousness or states with certainty that it's correlation with brain function translates into brain causing mind is ready for a Socratic talking to, to realize he knows nothing and does not know it yet.

Edited by Brafarality, 01 September 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#18 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

roaming the earth, feasting on the few remaining survivors as patient 0 of a level 4 zombie outbreak

Edited by eternaltraveler, 03 September 2010 - 03:09 AM.

• like x 5

#19 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

My final assemblage of atoms will be slowly scattered and absorbed by the surrounding ecosystems. My essence will become one again with the eternal cycle of matter and energy from which it was subverted. I will become the talons of an eagle, the retina of a monkey, the crashing of wave on rock, or dissipate into the stillness of the void.
Consciousness casts a fleeting shadow, embrace it while it is still yours.

#20 hotamali

• 49 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:30 AM

Return to oblivion; i.e. become once again one with the ultimate reality. I expect what master yogi's achieve through meditation is similar to what it is to be dead.

#21 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

I hope to die like Nelson Rockefeller.
  • dislike x 1

#22 Loot Perish

• 95 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

Where do I expect to be when I die? Buried up to the hilt in some 18 year puerto rican chick, why?
  • dislike x 1

#23 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

My atoms will be and have already been many things,
A green drop in the surge, a gleam of light
Upon a sword, a fir tree on a hill,
An old slave grinding at a heavy quern,
A king sitting upon a chair of gold...

But my psyche will be elsewhere.
(Yeats quote above, btw)
  • like x 1

#24 TelepathicMerg

• 67 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:36 AM

My current feeling tells me one of three things may happen:
1 - people will discover the answer to your question and therefore "death" will no longer be an unknown
2 - I will wake up as some other "form" not known to us today, with a possible memory of being a human before (I would consider such ability to remember an advancement, a step forward). Soon thereafter I will be networking with other advanced "beings"... and perhaps projecting to see relatives here...
3 - technology will allow a body transfer (changing a body as we change clothing today)
  • like x 2

#25 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I expect to die (accidents or disease hopefully absent) at an advanced age through medicine, maybe around 100 or 110, and that then I will sleep through oblivion

I hope that technology will be there to prevent death entirely before my expiry date, maybe through longlivety velocity, or that at least cryonics will work

I hope very vaguely and more out of desperation that there is an afterlife despite all rational evidence, but it would really be a surprise, albeit a pleasant one

Living people get about 8 hours of sleep each night. How long would expect to sleep through oblivion?

#26 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Maybe one dies through some freaky accident and turns into a zombie, that may be some form of immortality, maybe a relaxed one since your only task is to get brains :-)

#27 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I haven't found any SCIENTIFIC argument against quantum archaeology yet. ie that future science will resurrect the dead.

https://sites.google...tumarchaeology/
  • dislike x 2

#28 Amichai Řezník

• 29 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

You should change the question to "After you die where do you expect to be? because "when you die where do you expect to be" sounds like you're asking exactly where we will be (work, sleep, going out with friends etc..).

I voted "Only to decay in coffin/cremated etc" though i do have some belief in the penrose-hamerrof theory called ORCH-OR.
Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia....ctive_reduction

I saw Mr. Hamerrof talking about it in the episode of the magnificent science show "Trough the Wormhole", the episode was "Life after Death".

If i don't do cronics i would get cremated, i should have like 60 years ahead of me though since i'm 18.

Edited by Amichai Řezník, 28 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#29 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Ami,

I refute that the world we live in is not lawful. As it is lawful is MUST be retrodictable.

http://www.longecity...hurch-dec-2012/
  • dislike x 1

#30 Amichai Řezník

• 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Olam Haba

Are you a J00 too? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users