- - - - -

No. of Posts & join date

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

I know this is tradition in most other forums (and at ImmInst so far), but I have removed the info regarding join date and total number of posts from the lefthand window next to a post.

IMO, this information is not important enough to justify taking up space.
Sometimes, that information can even be distracting from the quality of the post.

Again, this is a trial, if members really miss it we can reconsider.

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Join date is somewhat interesting, but not that important. Post count is, in my opinion. And another line of text in the user info is only going to take up extra space if a post is very short.

It may be beneficial in some discussions not to feel like certain members' post count lends their words extra weight. But when the discussion is primarily factual, or involving opinions based on intricate research, post count can be a useful tool in gauging how much experience a person has. In the supplement and nootropic forums especially, there's a high incidence of users who make a couple posts, and are never heard from again.

Post count is particularly helpful for new members. Lots of new users ask questions, or search through the archives for previous discussions. Being able to distinguish between members who have contributed years of effort, and someone who ventured an answer during the one week they were interested, can be incredibly important.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

I agree with chrono. Post count tells the reader something important about the poster. It's particularly helpful in evaluating if something is spam. It's also useful to distinguish between a long-time user who changed their screen name and a new user. I would prefer that we keep it. Join date is less interesting to me.

#4 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

The join date is unimportant to me, but I would like to continue to see post counts for the reasons already stated above.

#5 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

as someone with one of the highest post counts here it's pretty irrelevant to me either way. My opinion of someone can be quite high (or low) after only 1 post.

Having thousands of bad posts certainly doesn't lend any credence to anything someone has to say.

A system that uses reputation would make up for some of those shortfalls but has too much potential for abuse in my opinion. Maybe a trial of allowing only positive reputation votes? (if the software allows it).

Edited by eternaltraveler, 26 June 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#6 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

I certainly think number of posts and join date should be included... They are additional useful pieces of information I often refer to. Like mentioned above they help identify spam and ulterior motives, and just generally aid in context to the discussion. When I see a passionate post from brokenportal who (*goes looks up profile*) has been a member since 2003 and has amassed 4,659 posts, it adds the additional layer of information that wow here is a guy really dedicated to the cause, on the front-line of the fight for immortality. It shows his experience with this topic and that I can checkout his profile to access the extensive content he has contributed to this site. There are numerous other examples I can think of when it was useful, so yeh basically I think it doesn't take up much room and is better with than without.

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

I prefer it as it was before too.. with post count and join date.

#8 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

I also like the idea of having post count. It's practically the only measure of who has continually contributed and been around these forums for a long time. Although I agree with Eternaltraveler that a high post count does not ensure that the person had high quality posts. Nevertheless, I would like to see this feature come back.

Thank you,
E.

#9 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

Any update on when/if this can be changed?

Edited by Elus Efelier, 11 July 2010 - 02:14 AM.

#10 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:40 AM

Any update on when/if this can be changed?

Yes, I would really like both of these re-implemented. I was just reading a thread yesterday which had a contribution from a member I had not come across before yet the post had a senior or very knowledgeable feel to it. A quick check to this persons profile showed they have been with ImmInst for years and have contributed much. This is in contrast to my initial reaction of a new random user.

I think both of these pieces of information are useful and add beneficial context. I think it is also relevant that every forum I can think of includes one or usually both of these in each post.
  • like x 1

#11 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

I strongly support returning this feature. Its absence is very noticeable and a bit frustrating.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:36 AM

Again, this is a trial, if members really miss it we can reconsider.

Members (and Navigators) really miss it...

#13 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

I certainly think number of posts and join date should be included... They are additional useful pieces of information I often refer to. Like mentioned above they help identify spam and ulterior motives, and just generally aid in context to the discussion. When I see a passionate post from brokenportal who (*goes looks up profile*) has been a member since 2003 and has amassed 4,659 posts, it adds the additional layer of information that wow here is a guy really dedicated to the cause, on the front-line of the fight for immortality. It shows his experience with this topic and that I can checkout his profile to access the extensive content he has contributed to this site. There are numerous other examples I can think of when it was useful, so yeh basically I think it doesn't take up much room and is better with than without.

Well said, e Volution!

I would appreciate it that both post count and join date were returned.

Edited by bobdrake12, 24 July 2010 - 07:46 AM.

#14 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

I said I would consider the arguments, but if this amounts only to regurgitating the same message, let me deal with that.

When I see a passionate post from brokenportal who (*goes looks up profile*) has been a member since 2003 and has amassed 4,659 posts, it adds the additional layer of information that wow here is a guy really dedicated to the cause, on the front-line of the fight for immortality. It shows his experience with this topic and that I can checkout his profile to access the extensive content he has contributed to this site.

to paraphrase?
“If that user has many posts she must know what she is talking about, if there are a few posts, or the poster has only recently joined then this person is likely a ‘newbie’ and her contributions should be taken with a pinch of salt.”

Now, even the people who write this agree that this line of argument is untenable. On the contrary, it is much more reasonable to assume “If that user has many posts she clearly doesn’t have a professional background in this area, because she has time to chat away ceaselessly on the internet”. Quantity never comes before quantity. At least one person in this thread is a prime example of that.
ImmInst is not “other forums” – here, contributions are based on their own merit not on legacy. That’s why I took the reputation counter out from view.

It’s a different case if members of leadership claim that this helps them with their moderation abilities. I’m not a moderator, but to be quite honest I’m worried that moderators are basing their decision on erroneous data if that is their first and most important calling point, but I need to listen to people who do this job (some more actively than others). Hence, I have already said that I will look at making this viewable to Moderators only as there is a strong feeling that this would improve their work.

ALL users have the following options:
1) you can get the required information with a single click:
http://www.imminst.o...16270_thumb.jpg

2) you can look at a users ₮E count – this is still in trial stage but will replace ‘reputation’ as a very rough gauge of someones value to the cause.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#15 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

I like it so that it does not show the post count and the join date for these three reasons:

1. It promotes equality (there is no prejudice based on how long a member has been here or how many posts the person has made.

2. It promotes better discussion as everyone will focus more on what a person [i]actually said[i]

3. It makes Imminst more progressive, unique, and arguably better and more innovative than other forums. To make progress you sometimes have to make risks by doing something different weather it be a small change or a big change. (is this a big change?)

#16 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:22 AM

I think we should also change the reputation system of individual topics to having it so only people can vote a plus rating or even just remove it all together. I even say we should remove all forms of rating systems (the profile rating system with the stars and the topic rating system with the stars) Just to promote equality more and to not make other peoples personal opinions distract people from the actual content.

#17 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

I'd say the thread topic is relatively minor compared to other issues, but would like to comment that by denying the average imminst member/user the intelligence to gage the importance of these two data and how to use them goes too far, also in light that your first argument was space and that you put it up for discussion/reconsideration pending a sufficent "referendum".

Now where the last 2 points really clash is with the floating sidebar logo, also that there's no proper Active Topics functionality - the fulcrum here - I had no access to new posts with all marked as being read (sorry if i missed something).

It should be well within the budget to get some expert advice on forum modifications and issues, no cause of obloquy - Software Development is a mess basically.
We don't want to expose we stumble upon our own shoelaces and can't even run our own forum - i guess this would be grass-roots at its best.

#18 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I said I would consider the arguments, but if this amounts only to regurgitating the same message, let me deal with that.

When I see a passionate post from brokenportal who (*goes looks up profile*) has been a member since 2003 and has amassed 4,659 posts, it adds the additional layer of information that wow here is a guy really dedicated to the cause, on the front-line of the fight for immortality. It shows his experience with this topic and that I can checkout his profile to access the extensive content he has contributed to this site.

to paraphrase?
"If that user has many posts she must know what she is talking about, if there are a few posts, or the poster has only recently joined then this person is likely a 'newbie' and her contributions should be taken with a pinch of salt."

Now, even the people who write this agree that this line of argument is untenable. On the contrary, it is much more reasonable to assume "If that user has many posts she clearly doesn't have a professional background in this area, because she has time to chat away ceaselessly on the internet". Quantity never comes before quantity. At least one person in this thread is a prime example of that.
ImmInst is not "other forums" – here, contributions are based on their own merit not on legacy. That's why I took the reputation counter out from view.

It's a different case if members of leadership claim that this helps them with their moderation abilities. I'm not a moderator, but to be quite honest I'm worried that moderators are basing their decision on erroneous data if that is their first and most important calling point, but I need to listen to people who do this job (some more actively than others). Hence, I have already said that I will look at making this viewable to Moderators only as there is a strong feeling that this would improve their work.

ALL users have the following options:
1) you can get the required information with a single click:
http://www.imminst.o...16270_thumb.jpg

2) you can look at a users ₮E count – this is still in trial stage but will replace 'reputation' as a very rough gauge of someones value to the cause.

You're right, Caliban. Quantity never comes before quantity. Please at least return the rating/reputation system so we can see who contributes quality to these forums.

-Thanks,
E.

#19 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

2) you can look at a users ₮E count – this is still in trial stage but will replace ‘reputation’ as a very rough gauge of someones value to the cause.

What is the ₮E count exactly?

#20 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:56 AM

What is the ₮E count exactly?

Yeah, I'm wondering that too. Since many of us spend money on things (reducing our ₮). but I might be misunderstanding this (i actually just learned about the ₮ system)
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users