• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Caught a piece all about indefinite life extension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:26 PM

I was listening to one of those talk radio channels today, I think it was National Public Radio, and the guy was interviewing a guy that wrote a book having to do with indefinite life extension. The interview was all about indefinite life extension. The guy said something like, "I followed one of the most prominent cutting edge gerontologists around." I was thinking, 'could he possibly say anybody but Aubrey? If he does that will be interesting.' but it was Aubrey, which is great too.

They had people calling in. Many people were saying things like, "Extra healthy life? Of course I want it." Others on the religious angle said things like, "Im a devout christian but I see no incompatability with indefinite life extension and religion."

One guy said that Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden of Eden for wanting to be Immortal, but another guy pointed out that they had their prize of Immortality taken away from them for eating of the tree of knowledge. I think religion is rediculous, Im just saying.

One critic was saying, "The guy that invented (or worked with) the hydrogen bomb was later saying that one of the things he regretted was making science look bad for creating this." and then he said something like, "Thats what deGrey is doing, hes making every body look bad."

Thing is, like Henry Ford said, "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." That guy likely is to a free-thinker what a hobo is to a steel worker. He also hasnt read or taken into account the rate of progress that science and technology have accellerated to these days. Things that are like the forms of damage that cause us to age to death have already been worked on with successes. I would bet that guy still thinks that aging is some kind of invisible, untouchable, other worldly type of phenomenon that we cant get near with the best microscopes.

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:16 AM

BTW it was nice to hear Aubrey again last week on the world service

listen again here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...net_24_06_2010/
or
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p0085ywx

There is nothing really new in these features, but when the presenter says 'share your views' many people don't imagine how important that is - for having similar items on again.
If there is a lot of mail, the producer takes very good note and is likely to commission a feature on this topic again. So even if there is nothing new in it for you, you can make a lot of difference by contacting the programme and saying how much you enjoyed the topic.

Edited by caliban, 29 June 2010 - 01:19 AM.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Good reminder, very important reminder. I dug up the one I heard and commented there. Im going to look into writing them via other routes too.

You can listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128168264#commentBlock

Its about the book "Long for this World" by Jonathan Weiner. Attached File  Long for this World Jonathan Weiner.jpg   81.5KB   16 downloads

Im not sure if I had heard of that one until that program. Not sure if Ive heard of Jonathan Weiner before either, have any of you? We should see about getting him on the Sunday Evening update, and into the forum in general. From what I gather, the book seems to be a good mix of pros and cons. Of course, I would say that most of the cons are ill founded, but it can serve as another great transitional piece for getting varieties of certain target crowds into the cause. Of course, critics of anything usually help that thing hone its edges too.

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users