- - - - -

Why Die? - Herb Bowie

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 06:08 PM

I had to do a little digging, but I found the first six issues of Forever Alive (Lite) in the e-text.org

Thank You Sophianic [thumb]
I appreciate you giving me your time. I will get to that as soon as I can.

archives.  Forever Alive, edited by Herb Bowie, was published by People Forever International from 1989 to 1995 and is of definite historical interest to immortalists.  A note to Bruce: with the appropriate permission, these might merit an archive at ImmInst.

How timely and Ironic, I've been asked by Warren at CR Society to do some legal work on Copywriting, and that's why I can't get to the link you have provided me right now (but I am looking forward to it). Maybe I can try to merge the two, and kill two birds with one...., oops, total inappropriate saying for an immortalist, but you get what I mean.

And I do thank you again for taking the time to dig that info out for me. Time is a precious commodity, I am always honored when someone gives some of it to me. :)

#32 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:38 PM

thefirstimmortal: It's those outrageous memes that are in the book that qualify as crap, and just because a book has some crap in it, doesn't mean that it should be dismissed but those rebirthing claims are hard for a fence sitter to overcome imo.

There's always a risk of associating yourself with a movement that contains crackpots making outrageous claims, and Herb Bowie was willing to take that risk for the sake of an idea that (I think) has potential for preparing us (emotionally, socially and spiritually) for living long stretches of time, and I think his occasional references to rebirthing in his book should be taken in this light. In other words, dismissals based on guilt by association can sometimes be logically fallacious.

On the other hand the below quote could push one person in the right direction.

Many people make the unconscious decision that they have to die. They assume that their fate is ordained by the laws of nature, or the laws of God. This choice is made so early in life, and at such an unconscious level, that few people ever even challenge it. So I wanted to ask a question that would shake people up. Because even to ask this question is to imply something unthinkable for many people-that death is a choice, and not a foregone conclusion.

This is a great quote. As you suggested earlier, there are many such passages in this book. Any one of them could nudge someone in the 'right' direction.

I do have genuine enthusiasm for the book, and I do want to exploit the value, if you mean by exploit, to utilize or to get the value or usefulness out of as to exploit a mine. I'm not saying the memes are of little value, just that there's a lot of rocks in the mine. The gold is still there, just needs more work to get to it.

Perhaps I have a greater tolerance of ideas that seem suspect on the face of it? If an idea seems strange or unacceptable, I've learned not to judge it and dismiss it too quickly. Having said that, I'm also aware that it's not always easy to balance a critical mind with an open one.

#33 Sophianic

• Guest Immortality
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:43 PM

thefirstimmortal: I appreciate you giving me your time. I will get to that as soon as I can. And I do thank you again for taking the time to dig that info out for me. Time is a precious commodity, I am always honored when someone gives some of it to me.

My pleasure. I was quite happy to spend time on it. I, too, look forward to reading it. So far, so good ...

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

It is possible to edit a post to include multiple comments if they are new... you know... instead of 7 in a row or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users