Photo
- - - - -

Quick question about Piracetam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dupez

• 115 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

If it really helps you, does it mean there may be something wrong with natural neurochemistry? Some of my best work and research has been while using it. I read that it is used to treat ADD in Europe, under the brand name nootropil.

#2 rvdvaart

• 72 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

I had a question too. What exactly does Piracetam help to improve? Short-term memory, Long-Term memory, Attention Span, Memory recall? All three maybe?

I've been taking it for a couple weeks now with Choline and I've noticed a slight improvement in memory when studying for an exam...very slight though. But could this memory improvement be from the Choline?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

If it really helps you, does it mean there may be something wrong with natural neurochemistry? Some of my best work and research has been while using it. I read that it is used to treat ADD in Europe, under the brand name nootropil.

I definitely wouldn't say that. Probably the fundamental philosophical question of nootropics is whether it's right/valid/possible to increase normal human intelligence, or simply correct underlying deficiencies. Most studies are done on disorders, because a) that's where the money is, and b) current mainstream medicine doesn't see cognitive enhancement beyond a "normal" level (if such a thing exsits) as a valid goal ("if it's not broke, don't fix it").

Piracetam improves the functioning of several neural systems. A benefit doesn't mean you have ADD, any more than a benefit from ALCAR means you have dementia, or deprenyl indicates you have Parkinson's.

@rvdvaart: See this section of the Wiki for a brief summary of what piracetam does. I would say it mainly increases focus/attention and some executive functioning, like verbal ability and reasoning. Maybe working memory, as well; a lot of these systems are linked in ways we don't really understand yet, and there have been woefully few studies on piracetam's effect on normal cognition, so it's difficult to say with certainty.

Edited by chrono, 08 July 2010 - 03:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users