Conference poster editing

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Hi members of the art team.

Can you make a poster for the International Imminst Conference?

http://www.imminst2010.com/

Many thanks

Edit by AgeVivo-
The official poster, made thanks to the diligent work of David and Agent with input from a few others is here:
Attached File  ImminstConference2010.pdf   505.37KB   42 downloads

Edited by AgeVivo, 12 September 2010 - 11:19 AM.

#2 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

I made this, by the way, until someone appears with something better (as is likely, given my general lack of artistic skills)

Click to enlarge:

Attached File  imminst2010ad.jpg   669.21KB   76 downloads

As it is just a hodge-podge of images planted on a Keynote page with a little text, I too would be glad of a more professional creation, so thanks for asking here, Sven.

Edited by David Styles, 14 July 2010 - 05:02 AM.

#3 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

david, i cant see that pic :(

#4 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

How odd. I just used the upload feature, and it worked when I tested it.

Do you get an error message if you click on the link to the attached file directly?

http://www.imminst.o...&attach_id=8371

#5 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

How odd. I just used the upload feature, and it worked when I tested it.

Do you get an error message if you click on the link to the attached file directly?

http://www.imminst.o...&attach_id=8371

Yes :|?
And yes, it works on the preview.

#6 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

should work now, this sub-forum had insufficient permissions

#7 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

Looks reasonable good but more info is needed for example website (so that people can register). I also think that we should either mention all lectures are else only a few 'keynote' speakers. I asked for this poster in order to hang some at my university.

#8 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

It does, thanks!

Looks reasonable good but more info is needed for example website (so that people can register). I also think that we should either mention all lectures are else only a few 'keynote' speakers.

Good points, plus: high resolution, to be printed at least on A4 (if not A3 or even A0).

I asked for this poster in order to hang some at my university.

Hey, I could do that as well!
Although every poster/add has to be given permission to be hanged at Uni, so an official letter from ImmInst to the proper section of the Uni would be necessary.

#9 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, i can see the pic now, and i like it ( the layout) :)

Like Sven said, there should be more info on it :)

#10 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Is anyone making the poster or is it forgotten?

#11 GiovanniR

• 80 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Maybe all the members interested and that have enough "artistic" skills could post something so that ideas could be gathered.
There could even be a poll, about the best poster.

#12 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

OK, you wanted it.

So here it is.

Criticize please !!!

Quick!!! (means: hours)

(My funny English in particular, OK? Thanks.)

Attached Files

#13 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:43 AM

Background from David's website http://imminst2010.com, pictures from the venue website - enjoy.

Attached Files

#14 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:10 AM

Different logo, expanded name and date (+edit: some minor changes):

Attached Files

Edited by Agent, 03 August 2010 - 11:11 PM.

#15 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

One more try, although worse (I think).
Similar to the first one + blue background.

Attached Files

#16 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

I agree; I like your penultimate one best.

(poster_blue2.pdf)

Edited by David Styles, 05 August 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#17 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thank you!

Can we decide that it is done and use this one?

Or are we waiting for more submissions?

For how long can we wait?

My idea is: to kindly ask users/members to print a few copies of the Conference poster on their home printers and put them in relevant institutions in their places of residence. Before that, a letter asking the university/library/etc. management for permission to do so would be sent by email.

I have composed a letter _in_Polish_ to Polish institutions, so if you trust me you can copy/paste it into your letterhead (which you use for the VIP Outreach) and send it; or you are welcome to create your own in English, which would be necessary anyway for every other country, and even in Poland may be better received.

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

If David and Sven agree then its good to go. I cant read the fine print but what I can see looks great. Looks like its about the right amount of info with some key things emphasized. A major place to put these up that Im seeing is at the venue itself around 2 weeks before it starts. I doubt that sending them to universities will work but I could be wrong. I dont think they would hang up more than 1 or 2. Another place I think they might have the most effect is to send them to other related kinds of conferences and summits that take place before this one. There is a singularity summit in Australia this September, theres one, there must be a few more. Then of course, the further and wider that people in the Brussels area can put them out the better.

We are still waiting on the status of the pictures. David is probably going to contact the venue about it. Other wise we'll have to consider using your version with out the pics.

#19 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

I cant read the fine print but what I can see looks great. Looks like its about the right amount of info with some key things emphasized.

Can you download the .pdf version and read it?
(The small previews were... well, only previews. To give you an idea what is in the .pdf.)

A major place to put these up that Im seeing is at the venue itself around 2 weeks before it starts.

At the venue, yes, this timetable may work.

In other places, from which people have to arrange flights and hotels in order to go to the Conference, obviously the sooner the better.

I doubt that sending them to universities will work but I could be wrong. I dont think they would hang up more than 1 or 2.

If they don't make people buy tickets and come to the Conference, they will fulfill another goal, which is making ImmInst known in the world.

You can think of it as if the Conference were an excuse to publicize ImmInst. And the cause. Which is more important than the short-term objective of selling tickets for one meeting.

Another place I think they might have the most effect is to send them to other related kinds of conferences and summits that take place before this one. There is a singularity summit in Australia this September, theres one, there must be a few more. Then of course, the further and wider that people in the Brussels area can put them out the better.

Very good idea!
We'll search the Internet for this kind of events.
(I remember another Singularity Summit in the US, August 14-15, 2010, San Francisco, CA, Hyatt Regency)

Or is there a website that lists them all?
Or could ImmInst keep such a page on its website?
Maybe this could be the "Events" section? Which is now... http://www.imminst.org/archive/events , so perhaps we remove the "archive" part and update it?...
Or do we need some special arrangements with every event organizers in order to put their event on the website?... An email will suffice?

We are still waiting on the status of the pictures. David is probably going to contact the venue about it. Other wise we'll have to consider using your version with out the pics.

OK, we're waiting.

#20 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

10 days have passed, does anyone know anything?

edit:
Updated poster below (website URL changed, it is now http://imminst.org/Conference2010).

If you/we decide to use it, could someone first _read_ it?
  • Have the photos been used with permission?
  • Are there all the speakers listed?

Attached Files

Edited by Agent, 16 August 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#21 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I havent heard back on the picture use. The poster looks great. If David or Sven approve it then thats the one. Be sure this is posted in the conference forum for them to find.

#22 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

nice layout

without the "PhD" and "Dr" it is probably better

any particular reason for those persons and this order?
what about other persons (eg Spindler)

Edited by AgeVivo, 16 August 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#23 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Have asked the venue about copyright.

Awaiting reply.

Will advise ASAP.

Thanks for your work on this.

I look forward to proceeding.

#24 David Styles

• Life Member
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

Venue replied.

It's ok to use the images.

Edited by David Styles, 23 August 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#25 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Nice poster. I've printed some and will disperse them at my unif.

#26 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

Small changes to the poster - I added Natalia Gavrilova and removed "Dr." next to Natalie Coles.

(Any particular reason for the order? No. Besides that the first line I wanted to be shorter than the second line.)

(Without the PhD/Dr - I prefer with the titles as they indicate that some serious people are behind the cause. "Immortality" still sounds rather religious and not scientific to many.)

(Where is the Conference forum? Is there any special one?)

So please download and print and hang - this version below (or check if there are no newer posts changing it again):

Attached Files

Edited by Agent, 08 September 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#27 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

(Any particular reason for the order? No. Besides that the first line I wanted to be shorter than the second line.)
(Without the PhD/Dr - I prefer with the titles as they indicate that some serious people are behind the cause

hmm... it is too late for minor changes? I should have detailed in my previous post: on the poster if we can put the most serious perception first (eg Spindler, Coles, Rose, Gavrilov) it would suddenly improve the perception of the conference and the community, to many important persons/institutions.

(please, don't take me wrong: this is not at all a jugement on content, but a jugement on perception)

Edited by AgeVivo, 08 September 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#28 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:54 AM

The poster looks great. Ive also converted it to a tri fold. Will this tri fold work? I would start printing out these posters too but my printer has been out of order for over a year now. I would print them up and send them out to various places, like Brussels universities, health investors and philanthropists in the area, health activists in the area, and the media.

The official tri fold will be in pdf form, so dont print this one until we've gone over it.

Attached Files

Edited by brokenportal, 09 September 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#29 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Trifold looks good, but i would change the logo with text to a newer one i made. There is a a typo in it :(

#30 Agent

• Life Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

The poster looks great. Ive also converted it to a tri fold. Will this tri fold work? I would start printing out these posters too but my printer has been out of order for over a year now. I would print them up and send them out to various places, like Brussels universities, health investors and philanthropists in the area, health activists in the area, and the media.

The official tri fold will be in pdf form, so dont print this one until we've gone over it.

But what the trifold is for? Will you hand it - to whom?

1. Are there color laser printers available... in places when you simply walk in, pay and print copies?
This is what I would do.

2. Please someone (a mod) kindly remove from the forum the file you used for the trifold - there is "Umlimited" instead of "Unlimited". I understand that the original poster cannot edit their own post (which in itself is hopeless) but let someone do it. The "Umlimited" picture file is somewhere in the Art forum, used many times. The file is posted corrected on a later date, so when deleting you have to be careful to not to remove the correct one.

...so probably after a year it will be removed, after being erroneously used by some other people to make their projects and then being corrected by others; wasting much precious time which could be spent on something really productive. Add to it: the time to make a to-do list including removing the files, and reporting having it partially done, being pointed to one or two more uses of this file, planning removing it again, doing it, reporting... ah and winning a prize. And then having problems receiving the code for Amazon - I never got it.

Can you see how much time is wasted?

If you had this time back, how would you use it?

My point is: allow users edit their posts - every time.

I would remove it, but I am not a mod any longer, because I don't want to read trolls' posts, and have my name posted on the website. A mod is just a cleaner; why mods are considered key people for the organization? Directors, advisors, perhaps team leaders - but forum mods?

OK, OK, the Constitution says so.

(I would also clean this topic and put the poster in the first post, to have the correct updated version ready to download without having to read all the topic.)

3. AgeVivo - it is not too late; so who to put in the BIG FONT and who small font? Remove Danila with his famous family name or who? There is de Grey, Medvedev, Gavrilov and Rose. The rest - small font.

4. Thank you JML :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users