Photo
- - - - -

Recommend a good facial moisturizer

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 jackdaniels

• 73 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

My current favourite is Origins - A Perfect World Antioxidant Moisturiser with White Tea [SPF 25]

#32 Stefanovic

• 300 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm currently using the biotherm aquapower, feels refreshing, don't know if there are better options?

Edited by Stefanovic, 08 March 2011 - 12:51 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

Amlactin (/XL) seems to be the best I have tried so far. It contains (XL-version) potassium lactate that alleviates skin dryness via increasing levels of natural moisturising factors. Unlike other moisturizers Amlactin also cured my girlfriend's cracked lips.

Relationship Between NMF (Lactate and Potassium) Content and the Physical Properties of the Stratum Corneum in Healthy Subjects

Abstract

Natural moisturizing factor (NMF) of the stratum corneum (SC) has been established to play important roles in the physical properties of the SC. Few studies, however, have investigated the specific influences of NMF components other than the amino acids. In this study, therefore, we focus on the relationship between the ion content and physical properties of the SC in 40 healthy subjects. Changes in the physical properties of the SC induced by the extraction of NMF were equivalent to the changes that took place from summer to winter, demonstrating the important role of NMF in the physical properties of the SC in healthy subjects. The seasonal changes in the physical properties of the SC from summer to winter were accompanied by significant decreases in the levels of lactate, potassium, sodium, and chloride in the SC. Lactate and potassium were the only components found to correlate significantly with the state of hydration, stiffness, and pH in the SC. Interestingly, the levels of lactate and potassium in the SC were also significantly correlated. Moreover, potassium lactate restored the SC hydration state decreased by extraction of NMF. These results suggest that lactate and potassium may play roles in maintaining the physical properties of the SC in healthy subjects.

http://www.nature.co...l/5602243a.html

Edited by GhostBuster, 21 April 2011 - 04:25 PM.

• like x 1

#34 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

My current favourite is Origins - A Perfect World Antioxidant Moisturiser with White Tea [SPF 25]

Gonna have to second this, although I haven't used this particular one personally I have used Origins - A Perfect World Antioxidant Moisturizer with White Tea Nightcare. Their products are great and White Tea has been proved to be an incredibly effective skin antioxidant, however they are a bit expensive. What is your experience with their daycare cream? How is the texture and how is at a sunscreen?

#35 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Amlactin (/XL) seems to be the best I have tried so far. It contains (XL-version) potassium lactate that alleviates skin dryness via increasing levels of natural moisturising factors. Unlike other moisturizers Amlactin also cured my girlfriend's cracked lips.

By cured do you mean once she used it she didn't have to use it again or does she still have to apply it to her lips everyday?

#36 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

By cured do you mean once she used it she didn't have to use it again or does she still have to apply it to her lips everyday?

The lips cracked again if she discontinued the use. She doesnt have to use it anymore, though the lips are still a bit dry. I guess the dryness and the cracking were at least partly caused by a cold winter weather.

#37 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

The lips cracked again if she discontinued the use. She doesnt have to use it anymore, though the lips are still a bit dry. I guess the dryness and the cracking were at least partly caused by a cold winter weather.

On their website it say's to avoid contact with lips - http://www.amlactin....abels-body.html

#38 Elenai

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:07 AM

It says in drugs.com that you need to check with your doctor before using this

http://www.drugs.com...mlactin-xl.html

#39 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

It says in drugs.com that you need to check with your doctor before using this

http://www.drugs.com...mlactin-xl.html

= it´s very effective. But good that you mentioned it, it is probably a good idea to use Amlactin in summertime, since it makes the skin more sensitive to sun light. I suppose that it has similar effects on skin than lactid acid products, because it contains ph neutralized lactic acid. Some reviewers report that it reduces wrinkles for example.

#40 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

As previously mentioned, Juvess (who sponsor this forum) is excellent and although it has not been available for some time, I received an email from them today saying that it will be shipping again by the end of this month/beginning of July.

#41 Elenai

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

But good that you mentioned it, it is probably a good idea to use Amlactin in summertime, since it makes the skin more sensitive to sun light. I suppose that it has similar effects on skin than lactid acid products, because it contains ph neutralized lactic acid. Some reviewers report that it reduces wrinkles for example.

Sorry I lost you there. Do you mean it is NOT a good idea to use it in the summer time because it makes the skin more sensitive to sun light?

Thanks

#42 GhostBuster

• 107 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

But good that you mentioned it, it is probably a good idea to use Amlactin in summertime, since it makes the skin more sensitive to sun light. I suppose that it has similar effects on skin than lactid acid products, because it contains ph neutralized lactic acid. Some reviewers report that it reduces wrinkles for example.

Sorry I lost you there. Do you mean it is NOT a good idea to use it in the summer time because it makes the skin more sensitive to sun light?

Thanks

Yep..."not" was missing.

#43 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

can anybody recommand some facial creme from iHerb ?

http://www.iherb.com/

#44 Elenai

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

I purchased the mychelle vit c serum (wow, not cheap). I pressume there is no problem if I apply na-pca or aloe vera on top of it? I know I have to apply the vit c serum first, but it's not like the na-pca or the aloe are going to un-do the effects of the vit c serum, is it? Is there any risk of this?

By the way mychelle serum working wonders for me right now. Except I kind of constantly have a funny "taste" in the back of my throat... anyone experiences this? I think it is worth it though.

I have so far held off in buying any of the other moisturizers, must give that a go soon and apply them on top of the vit c serum. Or just continue with the aloe v.

#45 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Squalane oil moisturizes and absorbs very quickly with only about 4-5 drops and leaves no heavy oily consistency. It's basically the stuff in olive oil that make it good for the skin, but without the irritation (if you're a sensitive skin type) and oiliness. Has anyone else tried it?

#46 AmericanEmpire

• 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Im sorry im not sure if anyone posted this but Im going to go ahead and put it in because this is something i thoroughly enjoy...you can make this at home and for me it works better than any product i ever bought, and it is probably cheaper...here is what i use...

lemon juice (real lemon, not lemon concentrate) just cut up a lemon and squeeze the juice in a bowl..
add a little olive oil
add a little honey
add a little apple cider vinegar
i like to add vanilla as well (real vanilla, not the fake vanilla extract)

then for good measure you can additionally add the emu, E, or aloe vera

mix it all in and coat your face, then i like to sit in the sun for a couple hours and let my face absorb all of this while the sun helps it dry...

this is something ill use on a saturday morning after I shave, and then go outside for a couple hours, by the afternoon my face is still greasy of course, but if i take a cold shower and come out my face is smooth for days it seems...and best of all??????

no crazy ingredients or expensive stuff....its all natural stuff and really i will get it in my mouth sometimes and its not disgusting...so i feel like if i would eat it and its good for my face, why the f not

#47 goten574

• 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I use pure Avocado Oil on my face at night time (wouldn't use it in sunlight). It gives my skin a healthy glow the next morning and makes my skin feel soft. I am 25, male so my skin is already fairly soft but I can notice the difference. Any reason not to use Avocado oil? anything better out there?

#48 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

I use pure Avocado Oil on my face at night time (wouldn't use it in sunlight). It gives my skin a healthy glow the next morning and makes my skin feel soft. I am 25, male so my skin is already fairly soft but I can notice the difference. Any reason not to use Avocado oil? anything better out there?

Why not use it in the sunlight? There are so many good oils one can use. There will never be a consensus on the best one. Good ones that come to mind are jojoba, macadamia, grapeseed, hemp, cranberry...just too many good ones.

#49 goten574

• 10 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Why not use it in the sunlight? There are so many good oils one can use. There will never be a consensus on the best one. Good ones that come to mind are jojoba, macadamia, grapeseed, hemp, cranberry...just too many good ones.

It is my understanding that avocado oil can be used in cooking, I don't want it heating up on my face if the sunlight is concentrated and constant.

#50 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

It is my understanding that avocado oil can be used in cooking, I don't want it heating up on my face if the sunlight is concentrated and constant.

I've never once read that theory. Many oils actually have a little SPF property in them. You should be concerned with an oil possibly going rancid though.
  • like x 1

#51 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yes its a good (albeit pricy) cooking oil because it is very heat resistant. Not sure what that has to do with it being heated up by sun exposure (EVERYTHING heats up under sun exposure)
  • like x 1

#52 Cephalon

• 497 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

The best product I tried is the new Tolerian Ultra by La Roche Posay. http://www.laroche-p...efault_int.aspx

I have quite sensitive skin, which is exaggerated by eod retin a use and this is the only range I can use without redness etc.
It actually fits very well to retin a, since it has just a very few ingredients (afaik) and is very gentle.

Another great product are Creme Legere by La Roche Posay and Creme Riche.

I use the Tolerian creme together with their Physiologic Creme Wash and their lipbalm. Great stuff!

oh and of course their Anthelios series, which is prety popular here I think.

Edited by Cephalon, 15 November 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#53 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

The best product I tried is the new Tolerian Ultra by La Roche Posay. http://www.laroche-p...efault_int.aspx

I have quite sensitive skin, which is exaggerated by eod retin a use and this is the only range I can use without redness etc.
It actually fits very well to retin a, since it has just a very few ingredients (afaik) and is very gentle.

Another great product are Creme Legere by La Roche Posay and Creme Riche.

I use the Tolerian creme together with their Physiologic Creme Wash and their lipbalm. Great stuff!

oh and of course their Anthelios series, which is prety popular here I think.

Have to agree with you here, I love my larocheposay stuff - really moisturizes.
However, I'm no longer using the anthelios line since they have chemical sunscreen components which I decided to stay away from in favor of physical ones.
One good moisturizing cream I've been using recently is Vichy aqualia thermal riche - finally sth that reduces my crepiness and dryness.
About ALOE 100% - which brand is best to buy ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users