Photo
- - - - -

Still using Resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

I thought I would mention I am still using the micronized, High purity product on a regular basis, although not daily as there is some loosening of the teeth (pre-existing periodontis, vitamin C does the same) with prolonged use. It is a perfect pre-workout supplement. It does enhance stamina, muscle tone and strength, IME anyway. It is a useful PCT as well as an adjuvant during cycle. It is not a contributer to mass building per se, but it is a great fat reducer, particularly when combined with L-Carnitine and RLA., Tocotrienols. Comments, questions?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

I thought I would mention I am still using the micronized, High purity product on a regular basis, although not daily as there is some loosening of the teeth (pre-existing periodontis, vitamin C does the same) with prolonged use. It is a perfect pre-workout supplement. It does enhance stamina, muscle tone and strength, IME anyway. It is a useful PCT as well as an adjuvant during cycle. It is not a contributer to mass building per se, but it is a great fat reducer, particularly when combined with L-Carnitine and RLA., Tocotrienols. Comments, questions?

Re: tooth loosening
Are you holding the powder in your mouth to get some buccal or sublingual absorption? If so, perhaps rinsing with water would prevent the tooth loosening sensation.

I believe for me such oral dosing greatly reduces plaque build-up. My dentist noticed, no other explanation I can think of.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

No, not using powder, just the pre-emulsified capsule. The loosening is indicative of unbalanced calcium, this occurs when Ive taken too much of any number of supplements. My Dentist noticed a marked improvement in gum tissue after starting Resveratrol. This is really a worthwhile supplement IMO, I still notice a differance in overall feeling, particularly in stamina and recovery.

#4 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I wanted to mention that, I think the majority of Resveratrol users that experience positive results from its use, continue to use it regularly. Whats it like when you continue to use Resveratrol regularly? Comments?

#5 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

I previously reported my results from regular use here, in the 5mg/day Club topic, end of 2008 and in the pages that follow it. The link there to "earlier stats" used to point to my first entry in 2007 but has unfortunately been broken by forum software changes, so you'll have to search for it, but basically over a couple of years I saw a big improvement already excellent numbers and I'm inclined to attribute it to resveratrol.

At the start of 2009 I began alternating between astragaloside IV (later, cycloastragenol) for about ten days in a row and then resveratrol about 20 days in a row, because they're supposed to activate and inhibit telomerase, respectively. Subjectively, I feel like I have a lot of energy after taking resveratrol for several days, and am beginning run out of it after several days of replacing it with Astral Fruit. (After an hour's bike ride, it's the difference between being glad I've arrived at my destination and feeling like I could have kept going a lot longer if I'd wanted to.)

I haven't been measuring my VO2max this year, so I don't have an objective measure of this effect. I had the impression that it takes more than ten days for resveratrol to cause new mitochondria to be generated in any noticeable amount, or for them to start dying back to normal levels if you stop it. During the 11 months when I was cycling between astragaloside IV and resveratrol and still measuring VO2max almost daily, I didn't notice an obvious correlation. If anything, I got my highest results a few days after stopping resveratrol. Even if I could believe the highly variable numbers I was getting from that machine (see long discussion from 2008-09 link above), that doesn't prove anything one way or another. It could mean that my body does better for awhile when resveratrol is taken away, but it's also inconsistent with a theory that the longer I take resveratrol, the more of its effects accumulates in my cells, and the more that happens, the more they more they start producing newer more efficient mitochondria, and the last ones in the pipeline come online just days after I stop that production. I have no idea how long the life cycle of mitochondria is -- does anyone know?

#6 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Mitochondria are not so simple:

Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics
Volume 1777, Issue 9, September 2008, Pages 1092-1097

Mitochondrial fusion, fission and autophagy as a quality control axis: The bioenergetic view

Gilad Twiga, b, Brigham Hydea, b and Orian S. Shirihai, a, b,
aDepartment of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
bDepartment of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Received 9 February 2008; revised 5 May 2008; accepted 7 May 2008. Available online 14 May 2008.

Abstract
The mitochondrial life cycle consists of frequent fusion and fission events. Ample experimental and clinical data demonstrate that inhibition of either fusion or fission results in deterioration of mitochondrial bioenergetics. While fusion may benefit mitochondrial function by allowing the spreading of metabolites, protein and DNA throughout the network, the functional benefit of fission is not as intuitive. Remarkably, studies that track individual mitochondria through fusion and fission found that the two events are paired and that fusion triggers fission. On average each mitochondrion would go though ~ 5 fusion:fission cycles every hour. Measurement of Δψm during single fusion and fission events demonstrates that fission may yield uneven daughter mitochondria where the depolarized daughter is less likely to become involved in a subsequent fusion and is more likely to be targeted by autophagy. Based on these observations we propose a mechanism by which the integration of mitochondrial fusion, fission and autophagy forms a quality maintenance mechanism. According to this hypothesis pairs of fusion and fission allow for the reorganization and sequestration of damaged mitochondrial components into daughter mitochondria that are segregated from the networking pool and then becoming eliminated by autophagy.

Resveratrol interacts with this cycle as has been demonstrated in mice. Two weeks sounds like a reasonable length of time to notice its effect. Exactly how resveratrol interacts at this level wuuld be interesting to research.

#7 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

Loosening of the Teeth ????????? WOW....SCARY. I would rather die of old age then LOSE all my teeth................. are you sure ?? this medicine is supposed to cure Alzeimer's disease. but unfortunately they will lose all their teeth......Oh well.....

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Loosening of the Teeth ????????? WOW....SCARY. I would rather die of old age then LOSE all my teeth................. are you sure ?? this medicine is supposed to cure Alzeimer's disease. but unfortunately they will lose all their teeth......Oh well.....

Now imagine if you had a resveratrol chew... wouldn't you be likely to loose all your teeth taking a resveratrol chew?

(assuming this tooth issue was real)

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 01 August 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#9 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Now imagine if you had a resveratrol chew... wouldn't you be likely to loose all your teeth taking a resveratrol chew?

(assuming this tooth issue was real)

A

Why with Chewable only ?? Does the drug have Local effect on teeth if you chew it ??? but Not if you take the capsule and swallow it ??? and what about this Joint Pain ?? Is that a Real side effect ??

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Why FedAce do you take chewable resveratrol and experience joint pain? Maybe you have too much adenosine in your system, and need to stop your chewing.

By the way, why are you spamming the threads here with the same joint question instead of reading up on it from past posts? here is one, however there is a lot of info on these boards that has been gathered over the past 3-4 years (Don't get lazy, just search my friend):
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=34786

Ok, so to sum up, just use the search function at the top of this website!

My personal opinion on adenosine:
I personally believe folks with high uric acid (yes some are genetically disposed to this)... should not be taking res all the time. The heart preconditioning effect of resveratrol is produced by the natural release of adenosine, which is naturally employed by your body to restore natural heart rhythm. HOWEVER... excess adenosine degrades ultimately to uric acid.

Here is a study that simply shows a correlation of Adenosine to Uric Acid:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11306903

Of course the Wiki tells us gout can be caused by high levels of Uric Acid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid

So... if you are planning to take resveratrol at all times of the day and night, and maybe even have an intravenous drip... I ask you to beware the excess adenosine you maybe releasing.

Heck I took two grams a day for a long time... but only once a day (not all throughout the day like some folks are advocating) and never had an issue. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Cheers FedEx.. err sorry, FedAce guy

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 01 August 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#11 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Why FedAce do you take chewable resveratrol and experience joint pain? Maybe you have too much adenosine in your system, and need to stop your chewing.

By the way, why are you spamming the threads here with the same joint question instead of reading up on it from past posts? here is one, however there is a lot of info on these boards that has been gathered over the past 3-4 years (Don't get lazy, just search my friend):
http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=34786

Ok, so to sum up, just use the search function at the top of this website!

My personal opinion on adenosine:
I personally believe folks with high uric acid (yes some are genetically disposed to this)... should not be taking res all the time. The heart preconditioning effect of resveratrol is produced by the natural release of adenosine, which is naturally employed by your body to restore natural heart rhythm. HOWEVER... excess adenosine degrades ultimately to uric acid.

Here is a study that simply shows a correlation of Adenosine to Uric Acid:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11306903

Of course the Wiki tells us gout can be caused by high levels of Uric Acid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uric_acid

So... if you are planning to take resveratrol at all times of the day and night, and maybe even have an intravenous drip... I ask you to beware the excess adenosine you maybe releasing.

Heck I took two grams a day for a long time... but only once a day (not all throughout the day like some folks are advocating) and never had an issue. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Cheers FedEx.. err sorry, FedAce guy

A

Its the new GNC chew and swallow. same as regular swallow pills. nothing different. Chewing and Swallowing is Exactly same as just Swallowing. as for Adenosine, we use for emergency Heart rhythm abnormality in emergency rooms. and It stays in your body for about 2 minutes. so don't EVER take it unless you want to stop your heart.

#12 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

Let me clarify, regarding the tooth issue. It is NOT the Resveratrol, per se, that is causing the loosening, it is abundance of any variety of supplements that throws off my endogenous calcium ratio. Its one of the bodys feedback loops that lets me know I need to cut back on supplementation of everything. Resveratrol will not cause your teeth to fall out. I took it daily at near gram dosage, for a year with no major problems. Its good folks, keep using it, if you have been. The energy and stamina boost alone make it worthwhile, not to mention the fat loss.

#13 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:05 AM

Let me clarify, regarding the tooth issue. It is NOT the Resveratrol, per se, that is causing the loosening, it is abundance of any variety of supplements that throws off my endogenous calcium ratio. Its one of the bodys feedback loops that lets me know I need to cut back on supplementation of everything. Resveratrol will not cause your teeth to fall out. I took it daily at near gram dosage, for a year with no major problems. Its good folks, keep using it, if you have been. The energy and stamina boost alone make it worthwhile, not to mention the fat loss.

I agree, the Energy boost is very nice indeed. Do you think it is good to take this right before i play tennis ?? I am pretty high level tennis player and i was wondering if it would help my game ????

#14 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

I take mine with other supps just before WO. I know I'll get maximum absorption that way and it fuels my WO. Resveratrol affects different people different ways, hopefully it will work for you, although I think you're taking a small dose arent you?.

#15 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

I take mine with other supps just before WO. I know I'll get maximum absorption that way and it fuels my WO. Resveratrol affects different people different ways, hopefully it will work for you, although I think you're taking a small dose arent you?.

Yes i take that Chewable from GNC. It is a BRAND new product that just came out 2 weeks ago. 1 year ago, i was taking a Capsule that was supposedly 95 % pure, and that was the one that i had JOINT problems or pain with.

#16 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

You did say 95% and you said it was micronized in another post, which leads me to believe you are now making stuff up.

A year ago, I did not see anyone selling 95% pure micronized resveratrol. Heck I don't see anyone selling it today. So far your posts are sounding more and more spammy, specially when you make stuff up.

A

#17 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Looks like resveratrol boost memory and learning ability. http://www.scienceda...00711155908.htm

I might give it a shot, looks like some good stuff. Are they iherb brands any good? Has anybody bought theirs from there?

#18 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

You should look at this list, instead. Some of these are not found on iHerb and are priced better:
http://www.imminst.o...trol-suppliers/

iHerb does not carry a complete list of products.

#19 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

Nito, I would go with the leading Resveratrol supplier, every product is tested for purity and comes from an FDA approved facility. You really should'nt, buy the best, should you not?

#20 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:02 AM

Nito, I would go with the leading Resveratrol supplier, every product is tested for purity and comes from an FDA approved facility. You really should'nt, buy the best, should you not?

Could you please post a link to the leading resveratrol supplier so i can buy it over to the uk? There are so many sources but I'm not an expert inn finding the best one. I always tend to end up buying a supplement jut to later find out it wasn't the real one.

#21 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

nito,

it's nice that you will trust anonymous opinions from the internet forums. But I suggest instead to look at the list I provided before here:
http://www.imminst.o...trol-suppliers/

1- Concentrate on those companies that have this column (Public Safety and Purity COA Results?) set to 'YES'
2- Filter it further by the purity column. The higher the purity, the better.
3- Now if you really have a few that you seem to like, the last step (if you decide to consider it) is to open and check the lab tests. It may look like gibberish at first, but you will be able to make out which company tests for heavy metals, microbial, emodin, resveratrol purity, (Heck, the more testing done, the better)... and choose one of those companies, rather than the ones that just test for resveratrol.

In the USA the FDA requires only identity testing to be performed.
Products for export only, may have less requirements than this.

See, isn't Fishing easy?! I hope this helps.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 06 August 2010 - 02:33 PM.

#22 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Agreed, everything regarding health supplements should be evaluated and researched. Just because Resveratrol works for me, doesnt mean it will work for you. There really is something about Resveratrol.. In my case it increases stamina and energy, increases muscle tone, increase in quality of sleep, produces an overall feeling of well-being. Of course its not the only thing in my regimine, but I did notice a distinct difference once I added it. After taking it daily for a year I cycled off for a period, upon resumption I could feel it in approx. 3 days of daily use. Im taking it less days during the week now but still feel it working, perhaps its just placebo. The bottom line for those that choose to use it is; use the purest micronized form available. JMO:

#23 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

Purely anecdotal, and perhaps placebo, of course, but, after a 10 day "off" period of all supplements except Alcar and RLA/RDHLA Toctrienols. I dosed 1 Nitro 250 with a juice concoction, and applied some TD Resveratrol mid afternoon and found it impossible to sleep. I think this lends credence to Maxwatts earlier statements regarding a "circadian rythm" correlation with resveratrol use. I want to dose again this morning but, I absolutely need to sleep..

#24 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Purely anecdotal, and perhaps placebo, of course, but, after a 10 day "off" period of all supplements except Alcar and RLA/RDHLA Toctrienols. I dosed 1 Nitro 250 with a juice concoction, and applied some TD Resveratrol mid afternoon and found it impossible to sleep. I think this lends credence to Maxwatts earlier statements regarding a "circadian rythm" correlation with resveratrol use. I want to dose again this morning but, I absolutely need to sleep..

I've been taking resveratrol before breakfast, and have no trouble sleeping. I'd concluded the "reset" of the circadian rhythm was like sunlight, the start of the waking cycle. Melatonin resets the cycle also, but to the night or dark part.

If I am not doing it backward, try dosing as early AM as possible: it should not interfere with your sleep. If it did, 0.5 to 1.0mg of melatonin would, I think, clean your clock back to a night time setting so you could sleep. Higher doses result in a shortened sleep cycle, early morning waking, and general grogginess after waking.

The paper discussing the effect of resveratrol on circadian rhythms came from a study on mice, which are nocturnal. The question is: does the clock reset to morning or night? Based on my response, I concluded early morning was the best time to take resveratrol. Melatonin on the other hand, resets the clock to nighttime and one becomes sleepy. Resveratrol does not do this. If you were to find late evening dosing worked better for you, I'd be very curious to hear it, and would try another round of self-experimentation. However mid-afternoon would seem the wrong time to reset one's biological clock.

Edited by maxwatt, 17 August 2010 - 10:53 AM.
redundant commas

#25 2tender

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for comments, Maxwatt. I finally got to sleep around 6 am and was up at noon, with enhanced stamina. Today I will only use the TD as it takes longer to ingest and doesnt affect circadian. Even though I have used Resveratrol regularly, I was surprised that it stimulated to such a degree (and forgot) that I can only take it early in the day. That is if I want to sleep at night. I used it for the longest time while working a midnight shift and it did help. Im surprised that there are not very many people on this board (and others) posting about their positive experiences with Resveratrol. What would it be like, if we found Resveratrol only works for an elite few? Perhaps that isnt the case and people just use it unaware of its benefits.

#26 MarionLP

• 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hi, I'd love to know which brand resveratrol you're so satisfied with. I want to try it out, to get rid of the last and persistant body fat and to improve my health generally.
There's so much junk for sale, that it's hard for a rookie to find the good stuff :-)) By the way, I live in the Netherlands, so they shoul be able to ship it abroad.

Thanks in advance and good luck!
Marion

#27 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Curcumin has received alot of attention on other boards recently. Surprised there is o thread that is current (page 1) on any section regarding it!

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 MarionLP

• 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hello everyone,

As a newbie here, I'd like to ask you all for advice on this forum :-))

Which brand / type of resveratrol is most effective to stay trim and healthy? I live in Europe, so it'll have to be shipped in; does anyone know about restrictions at customs (with added tax etc)- or is anyone familiar with a good brand; that is based in Europe as well?

(there are suppliers in Europe; but it's hard to figure out which one sells an effective product )

Thanks kindly in advance!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users