Date Added: 20 July 2010 - 06:10 PM
Submitter: caliban
Short Description: None Provided

test

View Video

#2 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I can ignore how feeble he looks but the frailty in his voice is a different matter.

Interesting attire, it hides him well.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

I can ignore how feeble he looks but the frailty in his voice is a different matter.

I don't think that Michael's voice is from frailty. I bet he would sound like that even if he was 50 pounds heavier. I don't get what you mean by "feeble". He's thin, but he certainly didn't have any problem getting up on the stage or moving around.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

I believe CR has nothing to do with michael voice being like that. IF anything, michael sounds really young, and looks young for being almost 40 too.

#5 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

how old is he?

face / head looks young. like college level young.

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

40 years old in november, he reminds me of people i know in their 20's

#7 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

THAT is young.

I think you (Matt) and I have a little more advantage if we continue to do CR right. We have shorter stature. That helps in looking younger. Anything over 5'8 seems to look more "adult fully grown man".

#8 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I don't think that Michael's voice is from frailty. I bet he would sound like that even if he was 50 pounds heavier. I don't get what you mean by "feeble". He's thin, but he certainly didn't have any problem getting up on the stage or moving around.

If that's the best thing you can say about him niner then I see no need to continue.

I believe CR has nothing to do with michael voice being like that. IF anything, michael sounds really young, and looks young for being almost 40 too.

He looks 35ish. I'm 30 and people confuse me of being 18 still and I'm not feeble.

And yes, he sounds very frail and weak. It's perfecting understandable, the man is severely starving himself.

THAT is young.

I think you (Matt) and I have a little more advantage if we continue to do CR right. We have shorter stature. That helps in looking younger. Anything over 5'8 seems to look more "adult fully grown man".

Castration would solve your problem, friend. You would be able to maintain that underdeveloped, boyish look you seem to be after.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 1

#9 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Are people losing sight of what's at stake here? What is some frailty if it takes you to the singularity? The alternative is unending nothingness. Funny, though, I haven't picked it for myself. It comes down to priorities. I guess I'd concede mine are misplaced.

#10 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Did I understand the presenter to say Michael Rae is six feet tall and 115 pounds? Also, he didn't look frail and weak to me at all. Perhaps a little nervous, though.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

Wikipedia has this to say about frailty:

The frailty syndrome is a collection of symptoms or markers, primarily due to the aging-related loss and dysfunction of skeletal muscle and bone, that place (mostly) older adults at increased risk of adverse events such as death, disability, and institutionalization.

Specifically, these markers include Sarcopenia, Osteoporosis, and Muscle Weakness. I'm pretty sure that Michael or any random CRON practitioner does not suffer from these. In fact, CRONies are protected from sarcopenia, relative to the ad-lib population.

rollo's definition of frailty seems to be "Too thin to suit rollo."
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#12 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

If that's the best thing you can say about him niner then I see no need to continue.

He looks 35ish. I'm 30 and people confuse me of being 18 still and I'm not feeble.

And yes, he sounds very frail and weak. It's perfecting understandable, the man is severely starving himself.

THAT is young.

Castration would solve your problem, friend. You would be able to maintain that underdeveloped, boyish look you seem to be after.

I guess you didn't see my username.

Unfortunately, castration wouldn't solve the problem. Which is why I haven't done it.

#13 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:10 AM

His voice seemed fine to me. Physically, he reminds me of my old college roommate that was a prolific swimmer, 6 feet tall and 120 pounds. No deliberate calorie restriction, just lots of time in the water.

Moving on to what Michael was actually talking about, I look forward to seeing more videos on here of him and others discussing CR.

Edited by openeyes, 22 July 2010 - 05:44 AM.

• like x 1

#14 rollo

• 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Wikipedia has this to say about frailty:

The frailty syndrome is a collection of symptoms or markers, primarily due to the aging-related loss and dysfunction of skeletal muscle and bone, that place (mostly) older adults at increased risk of adverse events such as death, disability, and institutionalization.

Specifically, these markers include Sarcopenia, Osteoporosis, and Muscle Weakness. I'm pretty sure that Michael or any random CRON practitioner does not suffer from these. In fact, CRONies are protected from sarcopenia, relative to the ad-lib population.

rollo's definition of frailty seems to be "Too thin to suit rollo."

You got me niner, I did in fact, mean to imply that Michael Rae has frailty syndrome when I said that he sounds frail.

Lets all connect the dots as we please.
  • dislike x 3

#15 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

COuldn't notice anything "abnormal", honestly. Dude looks like a tall thin person, plenty of these in the streets. Though he looks young, that's for sure.

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Did I understand the presenter to say Michael Rae is six feet tall and 115 pounds? Also, he didn't look frail and weak to me at all. Perhaps a little nervous, though.

I agree with the nervy.

#17 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

In case it's not obvious, that's ~6 intermittent minutes snipped out of a 20 minute presentation.

Leaving aside your other comments, I should clarify that my voice is both soft and has the sound you seem to find disturbing because I have one immobile vocal cord, not because of anything related to CR.

#18 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

i thought the presentation was great... michael doesnt look bad, or sound/look nervy at all. i mean shit... try speaking in a front of a few hundred people and see if you do as well as him.

#19 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Great presentation.
It is obvious that you've done a lot of research regarding this and your personal regimen. You've obviously optimized your regimen for longevity and thus seem to aim to maintain a high percentage of CR.

What might be recommended for someone like me with more shallow concerns who wants to try to maintain both muscle mass and libido while on a milder CR-diet? Is 20-30% of CR a realistic goal? The rhesus monkeys, which inspired me to give CR a try, seem to do fine regarding testosterone and sperm quality on 30% of CR. Heavy exercise might increase testosterone but will also require more calories. It seems very tricky to me.

#20 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

I've seen Michael in person once or twice a year the past 7 years, he sounds fine is much, much younger looking than his biological age--along with clearly being a quick, highly educated and articulate speaker. Thanks for putting the video up Caliban :)

#21 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

i'm really surprised someone would call Michael "frail". he's clearly wiry, but not frail.

#22 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

I'm also curious, did I hear that right? 115 pounds?

#23 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

video is not working for me

#24 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

video is not working for me

Did you get it to work? Did you look elsewhere online and try it there, maybe youtube?

#25 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

What might be recommended for someone like me with more shallow concerns who wants to try to maintain both muscle mass and libido while on a milder CR-diet? Is 20-30% of CR a realistic goal?

As I've indicated before, determining the "%CR" of a free-living human is impossible. My guess is that even fairly extreme human CR practitioners are only consuming ~20-30% CR.

The rhesus monkeys, which inspired me to give CR a try, seem to do fine regarding testosterone and sperm quality on 30% of CR.

It's actually pretty clear that the monkeys are only ~10% CR, because the AL monkeys are voluntarily eating less than their AL portioins. This makes the results observed in the CR monkeys all the more remarkable.

Heavy exercise might increase testosterone but will also require more calories. It seems very tricky to me.

Correct ;) . What you do is the obvious, albeit the intellectually unsatisfactory: you GRADUALLY cut your Calories until you come across something you find intolerable (one or more of the various negative CR side effects on which the media are fixated, to a degree that actually doesn't seem acceptable to you), and then you titrate up your Calories a bit.

I'm also curious, did I hear that right? 115 pounds?

Yep. I was already pretty darned slim (140 -- never >145) to begin with -- so doing CR makes me quite exceptionally skinny, and that impression is magnified in folks' perception in a context where the BMI of the society at large has been climbing out of control for 3 decades.

#26 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Yep. I was already pretty darned slim (140 -- never >145) to begin with -- so doing CR makes me quite exceptionally skinny, and that impression is magnified in folks' perception in a context where the BMI of the society at large has been climbing out of control for 3 decades.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I know very fit little asian girls standing at 5'2 or 5'3 that weigh around 115. I realize muscle mass may be playing a role in weight here, though they are not body builders. In the area I live, most people are just fit, not overweight, and they seem to have pretty a healthy BMI.

I respect the devotion to CR, I just don't know if I could ever really discipline myself to do it. Besides, once I get my body healed, I will want to get back to my wonderful workouts at the gym and I don't think a real attempt at CR that might actually have an impact will be possible. I like intense workouts where I push my hear and lungs in order to keep them strong and relieve stress and anxiety. Sometimes I walk out of the gym looking 5 years younger than I did walking in, that's the impact my workouts were having. I'm not sure if I will get back to that though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users