Photo
* * * - - 8 votes

Why humans aren't designed to eat meat

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

It's hard to believe that we have to discuss the deleterious effects of consuming meat on this forum.

2. Someone once said that politically the major distinction was not liberal vs conservative but between those who are "live and let live" and those who wish to control other people. I haven't run across many meat eaters trying to convert vegetarians (there probably are some) but there are many many vegetarians determined to convince me that I should not be eating meat. Why is that?

Actually that is fairly understandable IMHO ( I'm not a vegetarian myself but I can somewhat sympathize with the philosophy of it ) - ideological vegetarians perceive themselves exactly as the ones fighting for "live and let live" principle against what they see as moral indiference of the meat eaters and the narowness of their ethical horizons not including living beings other than humans.

This is like asking - why will certain people be trying to stop something they see as an evil by trying to convince the supposed evil doers to change their ways ?

Edited by chris w, 29 July 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#62 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

Someone once said that politically the major distinction was not liberal vs conservative but between those who are "live and let live" and those who wish to control other people. I haven't run across many meat eaters trying to convert vegetarians (there probably are some) but there are many many vegetarians determined to convince me that I should not be eating meat. Why is that?

There is also the environmental debate when discussing the consumption of meat. Do some research on the environmental impact of commercial meat production. It is quite mind boggling to learn of the rather dire ecological implications of the mass production of meat products.

I think that as a life extensionist, your duty is to promote the life extension of all people, not just yourself.

The health of the human race is completely dependent upon the health of the planet. A weak and sickened planet equals a weak and sickened humanity.

Thus, the true life extensionist is always mindful of the environment and his/her impact on the environment, and the bottom line is the commercial meat production (factory farming) has an immensely negative impact upon the environment.

If you choose to eat meat, it would be wise to obtain it from a local small farm that utilizes sustainable, organic, and/or biodynamic farming practices.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

For my first post after several years of lurking, I thought I would compile some of my thoughts on why the human body is not designed to consume meat. We should only look at how the human body is designed and not any other folklore. Anyone referring to "what our ancestors did" should be completely ignored for several reasons. First, our human ancestors were around for 200,000 years before us. Our evolutionary ancestors were around for 1,000,000+ years before that. In that amount of time, they did A LOT of things. Second, even if we gain real knowledge into what they did, it doesn't mean they were right. I'd love to hear your feedback on this. Bear in mind that I'm comparing the human body to pure carnivores and this is not to be confused with life or death situations.

I'll leave it at that as I'm a man of few words. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback on this!

When I initially posted I didn't even realize how off the wall these arguments you make are.

1. Humans have no natural desire to consume meat.

We have no "taste" for it. When people think of eating meat, they immediately think of barbequed ribs or a filet mignon from Outback. Carnivores are primarily after the nutrient-rich organs. If someone were to put a bowl of cherries and a pig's pancreas side by side, which one are you going for?

This argument is just terrible. Let me put this another way, "If someone were to put a bowl of green algae grown in the waste treatment facility runoff or some salmon sashimi side by side, which one are you going for?

2. Humans have no natural capability to consume meat.

Leave your ripped up caveman theories at the door. In the wild, humans are epic fail in the carnivore arena. Comparatively speaking, we aren't strong, we aren't fast, we can't smell, we can't see at night, we can't jump high, we can't swim naturally, we can't stay quiet enough to hunt, we have no claws and our teeth and jaws are useless. And, most importantly, unlike all carnivores, we have no hunting or killing instinct. It's a different story when some cute waitress brings your kill to the table with a bottle of K.C. Masterpiece.
All carnivores are capable of killing at birth or shortly thereafter. For the first 13 years of life it is highly unlikely that a human male (much less, a female) could have a prayer of getting hold of a wild animal and killing it. And this is when you are growing the most!

Really?! Where's your scientific proof? Show me some studies that prove humans can't stay quiet enough to hunt and I'll point you to the wild game mounted on my wall at home. And if you're going to make the argument we have no claws or things other animals have to kill prey I'll re-butt with we have brains and opposable thumbs which have proven to be the deadliest natural weapons on the planet.

3. Our digestive tracts aren't designed for it.
I won't go too much into this one as there is tons of information on this. Just try swallowing fresh, raw meat whole. Better yet, give it to an infant.

Well if there is tons of information on it would it have been so hard for you to cite something proving that we can't eat raw meat whole? I eat sushi and sashimi about 3 times a week and my bowel movements following are some of the most carefree and pleasant ones I have. :cool:

4. Meat is not nutritionally imperative to humans.
All ten essential amino acids as well as every other nutrient for optimum health are found in plants. You get your protein the same place the animals get it - from foods that grow out of the ground. There is a huge misconception about this as the vast majority of people have no understanding of how amino acids work. They believe that not eating meat cannot be "healthy" because of the flabby vegetarian with no energy they see at the office. It should be noted that most vegetarians eat like crap.

Oh there are 10 essential amino acids? Wikipedia says there are 8. See what I just did there? I cited a source. It's a good practice when you try to sway others to accept your argument.

Now this was my favorite argument of all the ones you made. Vegetarians need to really work to be able to get all their required nutrients. What nutrients am I talking about? Here's a list:

B-12, riboflavin, zinc, calcium, iron, and essential amino acids such as lysine and methionine. Search "Nutrients vegetarians lack", and you'll get several sources that tell you this.

Firstly, let's look at B-12, it's only found in meat products. What happens when you don't get any B-12? Macrocytic Anemia

Next up, calcium, Vegetarian guides suggest vegetarians supplement their diet with soy yogurt, tofu, beans, almonds, and calcium- fortified foods to make sure they don't develop osteoporosis. Great right, wrong, explain to me how humans 100 thousand years ago obtained their calcium requirements while living a nomadic lifestyle? This is the question I'll present to you throughout this section.

Iron, Plant sources contain a significant amount of iron, but in nonheme form, which is more sensitive to inhibitors than iron that comes from animal products. You should do two things to increase your blood-iron levels: 1) consume more plant iron; and 2) avoid absorption inhibitors, such as tea, coffee, and fiber. So in this case our ancestors would have had to find and eat more plants that contained iron and avoided iron absorption inhibitors like fiber which is found in what, plants. So this argument really seems to just be a viscous cycle of eating more plants just to inhibit iron absorption which is why you're eating more plants in the first place?

Zinc, a vegetarian diet inhibits absorption of zinc whereas a carnivorous diet increases the absorption. It is recommended vegetarians consume more zinc rich plants like soybeans, cashews, and sunflower seeds. Again we find ourselves in the situation where 100k years ago, while our ancestors were roving the earth, more time would have been consumed looking for specific plants and eating them in massive quantities.

And lastly we have protein, Is there anymore obvious argument as to why being a vegetarian is so much work? I think not. I saw you tried to make an argument that the protein amino acids can be gotten from plants and while that is true I ask you, At what cost?

Different types of protein are made up of different permutations of amino acid chains. In order to create a "complete protein" or a protein that can be assimilated into the human body as tissue, you must consume foods that contain complementary chains of amino acids. There are several foods that can be consumed by vegans to accomplish this such as nuts and beans and wheat. We'll discount wheat here because it has a low absorption rate in the human body and also wasn't viewed as a food source until recently in human history. Ohh, soy protein isolate is recommended as the best way for vegetarians to get their protein but I don't think our ancient ancestors were able to successfully isolate soy protein as a food source.

So looking at nuts and beans. Almonds have the highest protein source of any nut at 21g/100g. Aduki Beans have the highest protein source found in the bean family at 9g/100g.

An adult human requires about 56g of protein/day to not be malnourished. So an adult male would have to consume 266.67g(.58lbs) of almonds per day to not become malnourished or 622.2g of Aduki beans/day. Looking at our primitive ancestors, that's a lot of gathering!

Now let's take venison which has 34g of protein/100g. That means an adult male would only have to consume 164g of venison per day to not become malnourished. Now let's say a fully dressed deer (that means the meat has been removed) weighs about 60 lbs (I've gotten 100 lbs. of meat off a deer before but I'll make things interesting). 60lbs*453g/lb=27180g and 34g(protein)/100(g)*27180g = 9241.2 grams of protein per deer. 9241g(protein)/56g(protein required) means 1 deer could have given 165 men their minimum requirement of protein for the day. Going through similar calculations to feed 165 men with almonds brings us to 44000g (97 freakin' pounds) of almonds to feed a similar "tribe". You know how hard almonds are to grow?

Anyway point is, meat is a far more energy dense food than any plant you will find out there. That's why humans subsided so long in a nomadic lifestyle. They were walking all over the place and didn't have time to find each almond grove in the world to load up on protein rich foods at. Instead they'd see a deer and so "ohh look let's freakin' kill that and eat it", then they would. Ok maybe that's exaggerating a bit because it is believed our ancient ancestors ate constantly as they moved but it is also known that they hunted.

Edit: grammar

Edited by babcock, 29 July 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#64 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I always find it funny that threads like this explode on every forum I've been too.

Yeah, me too.. I'm kinda put off it by it and have cut back my posting dramatically.

#65 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Diet often is as charged a topic as religion. Which is funny. Because it doesn't seem like it should be. Maybe some day not too far from now when there's greater scientific consensus and greater understanding of how individual genetic variation affects what is an optimal diet, it won't be this way. Then again, people being people, maybe it will. In any case, for now it's a frequently frustrating morass. But I agree, the ethics of a particular diet should have no bearing on what is optimal for the individual with respect to longevity.

As a life extensionist, I recognize the earth's distant fate is as a charred cinder and, absent planet-scale war, I expect we'll be moving along from this one well before it becomes uninhabitable through our actions. As it is said, I do believe necessity is the mother of invention. The perceived imminent destruction of this planet will motivate us to find others that are habitable and find the means to go there, a prospect I find very exciting.

Edited by CobaltThoriumG, 29 July 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#66 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

The people i've found most strongly interested in what other people eat have been the meat eaters, not the vegans.

#67 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Now this was my favorite argument of all the ones you made. Vegetarians need to really work to be able to get all their required nutrients. What nutrients am I talking about? Here's a list:

B-12, riboflavin, zinc, calcium, iron, and essential amino acids such as lysine and methionine. Search "Nutrients vegetarians lack", and you'll get several sources that tell you this.

again i will refer you to the difference between vegetarianism, which includes dairy and eggs, and veganism which includes no animal products at all. anyone source who says a healthy vegetarian diet lacks any essential nutrients is incorrect...

Firstly, let's look at B-12, it's only found in meat products.

b12 is found abundantly in eggs & dairy... so this is false

basically everything you said is false according to credible dietetic sources. divorcekit.com isnt exactly what i would consider a credible source for nutrition information, so i will refer you to the American Dietetics Associations position on vegetarian diets and also to the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group which is an offshoot of the ADA.

The ADA points out that a vegetarian diet can meet the recommendations for protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12, as well as other essential nutrients

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes."

#68 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

again i will refer you to the difference between vegetarianism, which includes dairy and eggs, and veganism which includes no animal products at all. anyone source who says a healthy vegetarian diet lacks any essential nutrients is incorrect...

Firstly, let's look at B-12, it's only found in meat products.

b12 is found abundantly in eggs & dairy... so this is false

basically everything you said is false according to credible dietetic sources. divorcekit.com isnt exactly what i would consider a credible source for nutrition information, so i will refer you to the American Dietetics Associations position on vegetarian diets and also to the Vegetarian Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group which is an offshoot of the ADA.

The ADA points out that a vegetarian diet can meet the recommendations for protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12, as well as other essential nutrients

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes."

I guess the point I was trying to make was that our ancient ancestors wouldn't have had access to dairy, and would have only had access to eggs at certain times of the year.

I was merely trying to state how hard it would be to be sufficiently nourished as a caveman only eating plants.

K here you go with some more sources that say the exact same thing:

http://www.vegetaria...rians_Lack.html
http://caloriecount....ians-lack-q2911
http://en.wikipedia....arian_nutrition
http://www.healthgui...r-My-Child.html

Iron Deficiency:
http://www.adajourna...rd/MDLN.9399258

Zinc: May have overstated this one but this
http://www.adajourna...002943/fulltext
says diets high in phytates interfere with zinc absorption

B-12:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html
http://www.adajourna...002943/fulltext
http://www.ajcn.org/.../full/70/3/576S

I was merely taking the stance that our bodies were meant to consume both meat and veggies not that being a vegetarian is wrong. I'm sure a vegetarian in today's society can get all the required nutrients to survive, but long and short our bodies were designed to eat meat as well as plants.

Edited by babcock, 29 July 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#69 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

http://www.vegetarianvegan.com/Nutrients_Vegetarians_Lack.html

not credible sources... that last article was written by "Kirsten Hawkins is a freelance writer specializing in skin conditions such as acne and rosacea."

Iron Deficiency:

completely irrelevant to adult diets

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/576S

telling study but you should read the entire thing...

I was merely taking the stance that our bodies were meant to consume both meat and veggies not that being a vegetarian is wrong.

i dont have issue with your position, just that you were trying to say that the vegetarian diet is inherently lacking and vegetarians need to 'work harder' than the omnivores to get their nutrition which is incorrect

Edited by ajnast4r, 29 July 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#70 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

As a life extensionist, I recognize the earth's distant fate is as a charred cinder and, absent planet-scale war, I expect we'll be moving along from this one well before it becomes uninhabitable through our actions. As it is said, I do believe necessity is the mother of invention. The perceived imminent destruction of this planet will motivate us to find others that are habitable and find the means to go there, a prospect I find very exciting.

That sounds like a good idea. When we've sufficiently destroyed this planet, let's just move onto other planets and destroy them as well. This is the spoiled, immature version of humanity which selfishly consumes, destroys and then moves on when it gets bored. This version of humanity has no responsibility or accountability. Frankly, this humanity is too stupid to live and, short of a very rapid and profound learning experience, will be extinct long before it has the capacity to colonize space.

To disregard the importance of an effort to help bring the earth into a more balanced state because of the prospect of boarding space ships and colonizing other planets, is rather ridiculous, IMO.

Instead of running from the problems we've created here, I think it would benefit humanity to analyze why we created the problems in the first place. Short of bringing this to light, we would just have to hop from planet to planet leaving a trail of destruction in our wake.

The sci-fi b-movie scenario of escaping to other habitable planets is not a solution, it is an escape. And ultimately same problems will crop up again and again.

Maybe we should think about this before we hop on our flying ships to the planet zeltron to live in biodomes:

Nature is a vast web of inter-relationships and interdependencies, where nothing is fundamentally separate from anything else.
As consciousness evolved in the human being, he began to think of himself as separate from the rest of nature. Unfortunately, this illusory thinking still persists today.

The natural world is cyclical.
Man's thought process is linear.

The natural world creates no net waste due to its inherent cyclicity.
Man, with his linear thought processes, has disregarded the cyclicity of nature and created mountains of purposeless, destructive, and/or toxic waste.

The natural world is constantly seeking balance and homeostasis.
Man sees no need to seek or maintain balance in his actions, as he sets himself above the natural world.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

Edited by Soma, 29 July 2010 - 08:35 PM.

• like x 1

#71 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

http://www.vegetarianvegan.com/Nutrients_Vegetarians_Lack.html

not credible sources... that last article was written by "Kirsten Hawkins is a freelance writer specializing in skin conditions such as acne and rosacea."

Iron Deficiency:

completely irrelevant to adult diets

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/576S

telling study but you should read the entire thing...

I was merely taking the stance that our bodies were meant to consume both meat and veggies not that being a vegetarian is wrong.

i dont have issue with your position, just that you were trying to say that the vegetarian diet is inherently lacking and vegetarians need to 'work harder' than the omnivores to get their nutrition which is incorrect

Ok so let's throw all those nutrients out the window since none of those are credible sources. Do you refute the point I made about protein?

#72 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

ideological vegetarians perceive themselves exactly as the ones fighting for "live and let live" principle against what they see as moral indiference of the meat eaters and the narowness of their ethical horizons not including living beings other than humans.

This is like asking - why will certain people be trying to stop something they see as an evil by trying to convince the supposed evil doers to change their ways ?

I refused to participate in experiments that were cruel to animals in medical school, but I have food allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs, and I do better i.e. my lipid panel is better, and I feel better on a diet lower in carbs, without most grains, and containing meat. I refuse to give myself heart disease to appease vegetarians.

NB: words have meaning. Live and let live means you do your thing and let other people do theirs. If you are trying to get other people to do things your way, than you are not living and let living, you are trying to impose your views on others, the exact oppositve of live and let live.

#73 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

That sounds like a good idea. When we've sufficiently destroyed this planet, let's just move onto other planets and destroy them as well. This is the spoiled, immature version of humanity which selfishly consumes, destroys and then moves on when it gets bored. This version of humanity has no responsibility or accountability. Frankly, this humanity is too stupid to live and, short of a very rapid and profound learning experience, will be extinct long before it has the capacity to colonize space.

To disregard the importance of an effort to help bring the earth into a more balanced state because of the prospect of boarding space ships and colonizing other planets, is rather ridiculous, IMO.

Instead of running from the problems we've created here, I think it would benefit humanity to analyze why we created the problems in the first place. Short of bringing this to light, we would just have to hop from planet to planet leaving a trail of destruction in our wake.

The sci-fi b-movie scenario of escaping to other habitable planets is not a solution, it is an escape. And ultimately same problems will crop up again and again.

Maybe we should think about this before we hop on our flying ships to the planet zeltron to live in biodomes:

Nature is a vast web of inter-relationships and interdependencies, where nothing is fundamentally separate from anything else.
As consciousness evolved in the human being, he began to think of himself as separate from the rest of nature. Unfortunately, this illusory thinking still persists today.

The natural world is cyclical.
Man's thought process is linear.

The natural world creates no net waste due to its inherent cyclicity.
Man, with his linear thought processes, has disregarded the cyclicity of nature and created mountains of purposeless, destructive, and/or toxic waste.

The natural world is constantly seeking balance and homeostasis.
Man sees no need to seek or maintain balance in his actions, as he sets himself above the natural world.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein

I don't see how our consuming a planet's resources is any more immature than a sun consuming (along the way, destroying itself as you put it) its own fuel. In theory, we can move on. It can't.

#74 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Post edited-deleted.

Discussing diet is not like religion, it is religion, at least to the vegetarians.

#75 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

Ok so let's throw all those nutrients out the window since none of those are credible sources.

its not throwing them out the window... the issue is that the whole idea that those nutrients are an issue for a good vegetarian diet is false,

Do you refute the point I made about protein?

protein is only an issue for vegans, not vegetarians. good sized glass of milk, 2 eggs, cup of lentils... bam RDA for protein... as well as (everything from your list of so called problem nutrients): 145% b12, 111% b2, 50% calcium, 50% zinc, 45g protein, 1g MET, ~3g LYS.

really the point im trying to make is that a loosely planned diet will hit all the rdas, an unplanned vegetarian or omnivorous diet will fall short in certain areas, albeit different areas.

#76 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

also synthetic meat is right around the corner so the whole thread is moot

#77 Application

• 153 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:02 AM

Ok so let's throw all those nutrients out the window since none of those are credible sources.

its not throwing them out the window... the issue is that the whole idea that those nutrients are an issue for a good vegetarian diet is false,

Do you refute the point I made about protein?

protein is only an issue for vegans, not vegetarians. good sized glass of milk, 2 eggs, cup of lentils... bam RDA for protein... as well as (everything from your list of so called problem nutrients): 145% b12, 111% b2, 50% calcium, 50% zinc, 45g protein, 1g MET, ~3g LYS.

really the point im trying to make is that a loosely planned diet will hit all the rdas, an unplanned vegetarian or omnivorous diet will fall short in certain areas, albeit different areas.

Protein is not an issue for vegans either unless they are eating all refined foods.

from: http://www.drmcdouga...l/apr/dairy.pdf (sorry about all the bolding- I couldn't get rid of it).

...People Require Very Little Protein

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that men and women obtain 5% of their calories as protein. This would mean 38 grams of protein for a man burning 3000 calories a day and 29 grams for a woman using 2300 calories a day. This quantity of protein is impossible to avoid when daily calorie needs are met by unrefined starches and vegetables. For example, rice alone would provide 71 grams of highly useable protein and white potatoes would provide 64 grams of protein.8

Our greatest time of growth—thus, the time of our greatest need for protein—is during our first 2 years of life—we double in size. At this vigorous developmental stage our ideal food is human milk, which is 5% protein. Compare this need to food choices that should be made as adults—when we are not growing. Rice is 8% protein, corn 11%, oatmeal 15%, and beans 27%.8 Thus protein deficiency is impossible when calorie needs are met by eating unprocessed starches and vegetables.

The healthy active lives of hundreds of millions of people laboring in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America on diets with less than half the amount of protein eaten by Americans and Europeans prove that the popular understanding of our protein needs is seriously flawed....

Faulty Observations Lead to High Protein Recommendations

People commonly believe: the more protein consumed the better. This faulty thinking dates back to the late 1800s, and was established without any real scientific research. An assumption was made that people who could afford to do so would instinctively select a diet containing the right amount of protein. After observing the diets of laborers, soldiers, and workers in Western Europe and the USA, recommendations of 100 and 189 grams of protein a day were established.9 People's innate ability to select a proper diet is disproved by the present day popularity of burger joints, donut shops, and pizza parlors.

Further confusion about our protein needs came from studies of the nutritional needs of animals. For example, Mendel and Osborne in 1913 reported rats grew better on animal, than on vegetable, sources of protein. A direct consequence of their studies resulted in meat, eggs, and dairy foods being classified as superior, or "Class A" protein sources and vegetable proteins designated as inferior, or "Class B" proteins.9 Seems no one considered that rats are not people. One obvious difference in their nutritional needs is rat milk is 11 times more concentrated in protein than is human breast milk. The extra protein supports this animal's rapid growth to adult size in 5 months; while humans take 17 years to fully mature.

The recent popularity of high protein diets has further popularized the fallacy that "more protein is good for you." True, high protein diets, like Atkins, will make you sick enough to lose your appetite and temporarily lose weight, but this fact should not be extrapolated to mean high protein is healthy—in fact, the opposite is true.

The Truth Has Been Known for More than a Century

In 1903, the head of Yale's department of biochemistry, Professor Russell Henry Chittenden, reported profound health benefits gained by cutting popular recommendations for protein held at his time by half to two-thirds (from 150 grams to 50 grams daily). His research included detailed dietary histories and laboratory studies of his subjects.9

In the 1940s, William Rose performed experiments on people which found daily minimum protein needs to be about 20 grams a day. Further research on men found single plant foods consumed in an amount sufficient to meet daily needs easily met these human requirements for all 8 essential amino acids.9 (A more detailed discussion of the history of protein recommendations is found in my December 2003 newsletter article: A Brief History of Protein: Passion, Social Bigotry, and Enlightenment.)

The results of Dr. Rose's studies are summarized in the following chart, under "minimum requirements". From the chart, it is clear that vegetable foods contain more than enough of all the amino acids essential for humans.....

You Don't Need Beans or to "Combine" Your Foods

Many investigators have measured the capacity of plant foods to satisfy protein needs. Their findings show that children and adults thrive on diets based on single or combined starches, and grow healthy and strong.10Furthermore, no improvement has been found from mixing plant foods or supplementing them with amino acid mixtures to make the combined amino acid pattern look more like that of flesh, milk, or eggs. In fact, supplementing a food with an amino acid in order to conform to a contrived reference standard can create amino acid imbalances. For example, young children fed diets based on wheat or corn and supplemented with the amino acids tryptophan and methionine in order to conform to the standard requirements set by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) developed negative responses in terms of nitrogen balance (the body's utilization of protein).10

People who are worried about getting sufficient protein will sometimes ask me if they can still follow the McDougall Diet if they do not like beans. From the chart above, you will notice that any single starch or vegetable will provide in excess of our needs for total protein and essential amino acids—thus there is no reason to rely on beans or make any efforts to food combine different plant foods to improve on Nature's own marvelous creations.

Potatoes Alone Suffice

Many populations, for example people in rural Poland and Russia at the turn of the 19th century, have lived in very good health doing extremely hard work with the white potato serving as their primary source of nutrition. One landmark experiment carried out in 1925 on two healthy adults, a man 25 years old and a woman 28 years old had them live on a diet primarily of white potatoes for 6 months. (A few additional items of little nutritional value except for empty calories—pure fats, a few fruits, coffee, and tea—were added to their diet.)11 The report stated, "They did not tire of the uniform potato diet and there was no craving for change." Even though they were both physically active (especially the man) they were described as, "…in good health on a diet in which the nitrogen (protein) was practically solely derived from the potato."

The potato is such a great source of nutrition that it can supply all of the essential protein and amino acids for young children in times of food shortage. Eleven Peruvian children, ages 8 months to 35 months, recovering from malnutrition, were fed diets where all of the protein and 75% of the calories came from potatoes. (Soybean-cottonseed oils and pure simple sugars, neither of which contains protein, vitamins, or minerals, provided some of the extra calories.)12 Researchers found that this simple potato diet provided all the protein and essential amino acids to meet the needs of growing and small children......

Protein Deficiency Is Really Food Deficiency

How many cases of the so-called "protein deficiency state," kwashiorkor, have you seen? I have never seen a case, even though I have known thousands of people on a plant-food based diet. How about those starving children in Africa? The picture one often sees of stick-thin children with swollen bellies in famine areas of Asia or Africa is actually one of starvation and is more accurately described as "calorie deficiency."10 When these children come under medical supervision, they are nourished back to health with their local diets of corn, wheat, rice, and/or beans. Children recovering from starvation grow up to l8 times faster than usual and require a higher protein content to provide for their catch-up in development—and plant foods easily provide this extra amount of protein.10 Even very-low protein starchy root crops, such as cassava root, are sufficient enough in nutrients, including protein, to keep people healthy.15

Starving People Die of Fat, Not Protein, Deficiency

In 1981, 10 Irish prisoners from the Republican Army (IRA) went on a hunger strike. Nine out of 10 of these men died between 57 and 73 days (mean of 61.6 days) of starvation after losing about 40% of their body weights (the remaining striker died of complications of a gunshot wound).16,17 This experience gave doctors a chance to observe first hand the metabolic changes that occur during starvation. Protein stores were generally protected during starvation, with most of the energy to stay alive being derived from the men's fat stores. It was estimated that the hunger strikers had lost up to 94% of their body-fat levels, but only 19% of their body-protein levels at the time of death.16 They died when they ran out of fat. Since fat is more critical than protein, people should be asking, "Where do you get your fat (on any diet)?

Since Nature designed her plant foods complete, with abundant amounts of fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, "Where you get a specific nutrient?" is almost never a relevant question, as long as there is enough to eat. So, why have scientists, dietitians, medical doctors, diet-book authors, and the lay public become fixated on a non-existent problem? Protein is synonymous with eating meat, poultry, fish, dairy, and eggs—the foods traditionally consumed by the wealthier people in a society—thus, protein-eating means higher social status. High-protein foods are also high-profit foods. Therefore, propagating the protein myth is motivated by egos and money—and the usual consequences of pain and suffering follow closely behind these two human frailties.

References:

1) St Jeor S, Howard B, Prewitt E. Dietary protein and weight reduction: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Nutrition Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2001; 104: 1869–1874.

2) Tufts University: http://www.thedoctor...tion/protein_2/
http://www.quackwatc...vegetarian.html

3) Harvard School of Public Health: http://www.hsph.harv...ce/protein.html

4) Northwestern University: http://www.feinberg....ts/protein.html

5) McDougall J. Plant foods have a complete amino acid composition. Circulation. 2002 Jun 25;105(25):e197; author reply e197.

6) McDougall J. Misinformation on plant proteins. Circulation. 2002 Nov 12;106(20):e148; author reply e148.

7) Personal Communication with John McDougall, MD on July 10, 2003.

8) J Pennington. Bowes & Church’s Food Values of Portions Commonly Used. 17th Ed. Lippincott. Philadelphia- New York. 1998.

9) The December 2003 McDougall Newsletter: A Brief History of Protein: Passion, Social Bigotry, and Enlightenment.

10) McDougall J. The McDougall Plan. New Win Publ. 1983; pages 95-109.

11) Kon S. XXXV. The value of whole potato in human nutrition. Biochemical J. 1928; 22:258-260

12) Lopez de Romana G. Fasting and postprandial plasma free amino acids of infants and children consuming exclusively potato protein. J Nutr. 1981 Oct;111(10):1766-71.

13) The January 2004 McDougall Newsletter: Protein Overload.

14) The December 2006 McDougall Newsletter: An Inconvenient Truth: We Are Eating Our Planet To Death.

15) Millward DJ. The nutritional value of plant-based diets in relation to human amino acid and protein requirements. Proc Nutr Soc. 1999 May;58(2):249-60.

16) Leiter LA, Marliss EB. Survival during fasting may depend on fat as well as protein stores. JAMA 1982;248:2306

17) Zimmerman MD, Appadurai K, Scott JG, Jellett LB, Garlick FH. Survival. Ann Intern Med. 1997 Sep 1;127(5):405-9.

Edited by Application, 30 July 2010 - 03:23 AM.

#78 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:27 AM

haha 4 pages I can't believe you guys are getting into this stupid argument. When I saw the OP I lol'ed and then went to the next thread :~

1. Humans ARE adapted to eat meat (no such thing as design in evolution so whole thread starting premise is null and void!)
2. A non-meat diet may still be best longevity (or it may not!)
3. Not enough evidence in yet to say either way (so do what resonates with you and stop the false dichotomy!)

END THREAD :-D

Edited by e Volution, 30 July 2010 - 03:28 AM.

#79 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

Protein is not an issue for vegans either unless they are eating all refined foods.

depends more on how much & what. lower bioavailability of vegetable proteins & trypsin inhibitors in beans/grains probably increases the protein needs of vegans a good amount.

#80 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

ideological vegetarians perceive themselves exactly as the ones fighting for "live and let live" principle against what they see as moral indiference of the meat eaters and the narowness of their ethical horizons not including living beings other than humans.

I refused to participate in experiments that were cruel to animals in medical school, but I have food allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs, and I do better i.e. my lipid panel is better, and I feel better on a diet lower in carbs, without most grains, and containing meat. I refuse to give myself heart disease to appease vegetarians.

NB: words have meaning. Live and let live means you do your thing and let other people do theirs. If you are trying to get other people to do things your way, than you are not living and let living, you are trying to impose your views on others, the exact oppositve of live and let live.

You're assuming the meat is responsible for your lipid results. That is rather ignorant. Low carb diets have been shown to be heart healthy. I am sure low carb in the absence of meat is just as if not more heart healthy. Check the biomarkers of raw food vegetarians any day to see this result as well.

#81 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

There is also the environmental debate when discussing the consumption of meat. Do some research on the environmental impact of commercial meat production. It is quite mind boggling to learn of the rather dire ecological implications of the mass production of meat products.

I think that as a life extensionist, your duty is to promote the life extension of all people, not just yourself.

The health of the human race is completely dependent upon the health of the planet. A weak and sickened planet equals a weak and sickened humanity.

Thus, the true life extensionist is always mindful of the environment and his/her impact on the environment, and the bottom line is the commercial meat production (factory farming) has an immensely negative impact upon the environment.

Depends on what you mean by "environment". Do you mean nature in general or man's environment (general living conditions e.g. wealth, industry, housing etc...) If the latter then I agree. If the former then thats nonsense and I have no duty to promote it.

#82 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread into morality.

Good for you, I do as well, but purely because my health is the most precious thing to me, and we all here agree I guess that it definitely matters if you last another 40 or another 60 years for example, as that might be a diiference between effective immortality and oblivion.

That said, I'm not going to pretend that me eating meat is morally neutral, and that I'm not participating in a chain that is a very cruel process, and I am ready to admit on my behalf that vegetarians or vegans are in this particular case morally superior, as my reasons are absolutely egoist when there is so much at stake here, it's a matter of cold calculation.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail this into the space of ethics.

Edited by chris w, 30 July 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#83 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

That said, I'm not going to pretend that me eating meat is morally neutral, and that I'm not participating in a chain that is a very cruel process, and I am ready to admit on my behalf that vegetarians or vegans are in this particular case morally superior, as my reasons are absolutely egoist when there is so much at stake here, it's a matter of cold calculation.

Anyway, I didn't want to derail this into the space of ethics.

Then all of existence is cruel. This universe is an endless cycle of creation and destruction. We play a small part in that cycle. I think its morality is far more defensible. But, yes, entirely irrelevant to what optimal nutrition is for our purposes.

#84 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

So are humans designed to eat meat? Yes or no?

#85 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

I think its obvious based on the length and design of our GI tract we are meant to eat meat.

#86 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Abso - fuckin - lutely :) . Meat among other things.
  • dislike x 1

#87 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

Yes and no. No in that we are not "designed" at all. Certainly yes if by "design" the OP meant to ask is meat consumption consistent with our biology/genes/taxonomy. I very much doubt our brains would have evolved as they have absent consumption of meat or fish or shellfish.

#88 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

halle-freakin'-lujah the OP question has finally been answered.
  • dislike x 1

#89 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

Yes and no. No in that we are not "designed" at all. Certainly yes if by "design" the OP meant to ask is meat consumption consistent with our biology/genes/taxonomy. I very much doubt our brains would have evolved as they have absent consumption of meat or fish or shellfish.

I agree, without the omega 3's, especially DHA, our brains may have never developed to what they are today. Unless we were eating tons of the right kind of algae with DHA in it. I highly doubt this was the case. This thread really shouldn't have to continue. I think it has been made obvious that humans are made to eat meat. The OP was wrong, flat out wrong.

After some arguments have been made, I do believe that vegetarians can get all the nutrients in the necessary amounts that meat eaters can get. Though I still wonder if vegetarians can get optimal amounts of carnosine(which may be beneficial for increasing at least health span, if not life span) without supplementation. I do not believe that vegans can get everything they need through their diet. Vegans will need to supplement some things in order to have optimal nutrition.

Edited by morganator, 30 July 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#90 Trevor

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

Wow. This thread has really hit a hot button with people. I was originally going to make a thread about the evolutionary short-comings of humans (the list is LONG), but I decided to stick with the dietary factor instead. Instead of engaging in straw man arguments and red herrings, I'll provide some evidence as to why humans aren't designed for meat consumption and let you all chime in.

A few points first:
1. Most vegetarians/vegans eat like shit. The term "vegetarian" is literally infinite in scope. We must debate the consumption of meat on the human body by itself.
2. Do not divert the topic of the effects of meat on the human body into an ethical debate. That's not what we are here for and, frankly, I could care less about the animals you eat.

Let's take a look at our biological relatives. Humans, along with gorillas, bonobos, orangutans and chimpanzees, are considered "great apes." We are 98-99% genetically identical. People like to believe that we are the perfect end result of nature's design when the fact is that we are lucky to be here. You hear people say, "I'm not an ape!". Yes, you are. Self-importance doesn't change your DNA.

The digestive tracts of the great apes are proportionally similar in length. The ratio of a carnivore's digestive tract is less than half of a human's. A carnivore's intestines are short and smooth in order to prevent putrefaction. Our intestines are designed to keep food in long enough to extract the nutrients. Any raw meat would quickly rot and move too slowly through all the pockets and pouches. I wonder if meat consumption has been linked to colon cancer?

Most of the carnivore's and omnivore's digestion takes place in the stomach and is assisted by the enzymes in the raw meat itself. Carnivore's and omnivore's saliva does not contain enzymes. This is a critical distinction. The stomach of a carnivore contains approximately ten times the level of hydrochloric acid to digest meat that has been swallowed raw and whole. The pH of the omnivore's and carnivore's empty stomach is 1. A human's is 4-5. Hence, the need for "aging" meat (another word for decomposition) and cooking. Humans simply wouldn't survive parasites and bacteria of raw meat that wasn't eaten immediately.

The teeth of the great apes are nearly identical. However, the canines are less pronounced in humans than in gorillas and chimps. There is no debate on this.

Let's look a the western lowland gorilla's diet. From seaworld.org: "This subspecies consumes parts of at least 97 plant species. About 67% of their diet is fruit, 17% is leaves, seeds and stems and 3% is termites and caterpillars." The other subspecies of gorillas' diet's are similar. A gorilla has never been seen consuming meat in the wild. I brought up the idea of early humans eating insects earlier in the thread and it is probable that they did.

A chimp's diet is similar except they have been known to kill and eat baby monkeys. However, this is only done by the aggressive male and they "use the meat from these kills as a "social tool" within their community." This is the only instance of natural meat consumption of the great apes and would be an unnecessary, tiny fraction of their diet. Orangutans and bonobos are entirely vegetarian except for the occasional bug.

Pound for pound, chimps, orangutans, bonobos and gorillas are many times stronger than a human. Their animal diet, consisting mostly of insects, is nutritionally inconsequential, particularly when you compare it to the amount of meat that Americans eat. The idea that humans need meat for any nutrient or are evolved to thrive on it is completely false.

The image of the muscle-bound caveman wearing a loincloth and carrying a club is an invention of Hollywood. Tools and fire would have been developed many millenia after our appearance and would not have been considered in nature's design. It is only conjecture that all humans would have had these resources or known how to use them.

Prehistoric humans would have been 5 feet and change and skinny as a rail. The female would have been almost entirely useless. Let me pose a very important question: IF humans had evolved to consume meat, why are we FAR less capable of doing so than our genetic cousins?

I'm looking forward to intelligent discussion on this. I won't be responding to the "my grandma ate meat and lived to 85" nonsense. I'll compile abstracts of the effects of meat on the body for a later post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users