LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Hyaluronic Acid

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:56 AM

Does anyone know about Hyaluronic Acid? It seems like a joint supplement, what life-extension properties does it have?

#2 strongman

• 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:33 PM

It helps the cells retain fluid, and as people get older we tend to be more dehydrated.

Here is a link to some more info on HLA:

http://www.superior-...c-acid-news.htm

Cheers,

Strongman

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:56 AM

Cosmos,

I assume you saw the thread on...sci.life-extension about it a while back?

#4 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:45 AM

Sorry to revive such a long-dead topic, but I am curious if anyone is taking HA orally. What have you noticed if anything? Any comment on why Sardi is taking it? Thanks in advance, any info/stories would be much appreciated.

#5 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

I take 100mg of HA per day. My bad knees have improved since I started taking it last Fall, about the same time I started taking resveratrol, Omega-3 fish oil, the Alcar R-lipoic acid combo and numerous other supplements.

#6 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the input steelheader. Good to know.

#7 dillon

• 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

The debate about hyaluronic acid, seems to be whether or not it can absorbed by the body if taken orally.

Some people say its molecular weight is too heavy to be absorbed as an oral supplement.

Other people say that the low molecular weight forms of hyaluronic acid, can be absorbed, though it is questionable how helpful at building collagen and cartiledge these lower-weight forms would be.

A third group says even the higher-weight forms would be partially-absorbed through the stomach and intestines.

Bill Sardi seems to be taken a position between the second and third groups mentioned. He feels that hyaluronic acid is much more effective than the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements that many people take for their joint health.

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Sounds like placebo effect to me.

#9 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

I have taken it before. It did seem to help my knees, but not more than glucosamine. I liked it but it cost a lot.

#10 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I've taken the Purity Products HA for several years. I have no idea whether it helps, but my joints are all in perfect condition still, AFAIK. I hope to prevent damage in the first place rather than try to repair it.

#11 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:00 AM

The marketing by purity and sardi sounds enticing. And HA may do all they say that it does.

However, I have not seen enough studies that would support its use for me so far. Other supplements like resveratrol, fish oil, pomegranate, vitamin D as well as other substances seem to have numerous studies that indicate possible benefit. I look for numerous studies before adding supplements to my regimen.

If someone knows of multiple references to HA studies, I would be interested in seeing them.

#12 fearfrost

• 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:05 AM

what is so good about vitamin D?

#13 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:45 AM

Here are some vitamin d references. I just did a quick google cut and paste. Too much vitamin d(as with many things) can be detrimental and even life threatening.

Vitamin D lowers cancer risk: study (Reuters). 01/23/2006. Cancer researchers urged people on Wednesday to take more vitamin D to lower their risk of colon, ...
www.worldhealth.net/p/dietary-supplementation.html - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

Vitamin D in pregnancy may reduce childhood wheeze - Yahoo! News
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - High levels of vitamin D, obtained through the diet or ... In the first study, Dr. Carlos A. Camargo, from Massachusetts General ...
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070321/hl_nm/childhood_wheeze_dc - 21k - Apr 1, 2007 - Cached - Similar pages

Vitamin D may prevent alcohol-related bone loss | Health | Reuters.com
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Numerous cell, animal and human studies have shown that ... "We know that vitamin D builds bone and the bisphosphonates offset ...
feeds.reuters.com/~r/reuters/healthNe

CNN.com - Study: Vitamin D may help prevent MS - Jan. 13, 2004
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Vitamin D -- which the body makes when exposed to ... In a study in this week's issue of Neurology, the researchers found women who ...
www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/conditions/01/13/vitaminD.ms.reut/ - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

CCFA.org: Vitamin D Intake May Cut Risk of Colorectal Cancer
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) -- Intake of 1000 to 2000 IU of vitamin D each day may ... The current findings contradict what was seen in previous studies, ...
www.ccfa.org/reuters/vitamindcolorectalcancer - 46k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.ccfa.org ]
Vitamin D in pregnancy may reduce childhood whee

Can the sun prevent ovarian cancer? - - MSNBC.com

Modest sun exposure and vitamin D pills could lower risk, study says ... content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. ...
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15755385/ - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

'Sunshine vitamin' may ward off breast cancer - - MSNBC.com
April 4: New studies suggest women who get lots of vitamin D are less likely to develop breast cancer, ... AP and Reuters contributed to this report. ...
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12157671/ - 52k - Cached - Similar pages
Our Bodies Ourselves

LONDON (Reuters) - High levels of vitamin D may help slow the progression of breast cancer, researchers suggested on Tuesday. In a small study of women with ...
www.breastcancer.org/research_environmental_20061017.html - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
News

Sun, Vitamin D Help Lung Cancer Survival - Study. WASHINGTON APR 19, 2005 (Reuters) - Plenty of sunshine and vitamin D may help people with early stage lung ...
www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=8272 - 25k - Cached - Similar pages
News
The focus o

Vitamin D May Reduce Inflammation in Heart Failure Patients
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Apr 20 - Vitamin D supplementation appears to improve ... note that in vitro studies have suggested vitamin D supplementation may ...
managedcare.medscape.com/viewarticle/530421 - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

Adequate Vitamin D Linked to Reduced Risk of Pancreatic Cancer
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) S

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

Re: HA- unknown...

Re: Vit. D- don't forget about mood, cognition, immune system effects:

D Mood and Cognition in Older Adults

Mood Elevation via Vit. D Supplementation

Viral Illness and Vit. D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users