- - - - -

Marijuana as a Nootropic

neurogenesis marijuana cannabinoids

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:48 AM

At first when I was looking at my weed usage in the past I was only focused on the negatives. Recently I realized that weed really helped/made me become interested in several different things over the years I used it regularly. I thought maybe something else changed that made me lose interest, but when I started smoking again I noticed my motivation slowly came back. These things(hobbies I guess) included programming(web, games, visualizations), music production, animation, and photography. Also general wikipedia reading, especially related to the brain and pharmacology. These things still interest me when I haven't been smoking, but it is pretty obvious that the driving force behind getting proficient and constantly fiddling around with them was from weed.

Of course there are tons of people that smoke regularly and all they do is watch tv shows and such.. so I guess your mileage may vary. I would think the important part is to find constructive things that you would enjoy doing high and that way you won't start sitting around doing nothing.
For me strains&sativaVSindica don't seem to make that big of a difference, I prefer sativa, but pretty much all of the weed I've had has a similar benefit. Don't get "stupid" high. Trial and error might be the best way to see how much you really need to smoke to get the positives.

To me it looks like very small amounts of cannabis can be helpful and sometimes even motivate to do things as you have experienced yourself. So it would be not about getting high, it would be about 'teasing' brain a little and thus making it more active.

#122 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

Probably hugely varies with people's brain chemistry, their diet and lifestyle. Smoking pot makes me paranoid and gives me unbearable panic attacks. I tried it only a handful of times in my early migraine days. Tried one more time a few years later in chocolate obtained from a dispensary. Same thing.

My husband of ten years has been using weed since his teens (we're in early 30s now), almost daily usually at night. He is quite possibly the dopiest, forgetful, slowest person I have ever met and sometimes it is the most exasperating thing in my life. His manner doesn't change much when he's not high. In fact I've recently urged him to STOP because it is making him more depressed, contributing to bad habits, and he IS addicted to it, even if it's just psychological. I used to think it was totally harmless mentally and wasn't the least bit bothered by his pot use (and now vaping). Not anymore.

It could just be how I see it in my life and what I associate it with now (all his moron pothead friends, my potheads friends in high school and my mom's pothead fiance). There's a lot of weed going around in these circles, and statistically speaking, even at random, at least one of these people I know should be as smart as I am or better for ingesting THC for years, but no. Even when I was at my lowest point with cognitive function due to untreated major depression and sleep-onset insomnia, avoidance of many healthful foods because of migraine triggers, thereby contributing to several nutritional deficiencies over a period of nearly ten years, and a dire need for change in lifestyle, barely able to read even so much as a scifi novel, I could still do comparatively insane mental gymnastics around all of them. Which often annoyed the shit out of me because it's very boring and very isolating when you have no one around you can really talk to. I think that's pretty sad for all parties involved.

But like I said, it could just be my skewed perspective. Don't anybody take it personally.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Probably hugely varies with people's brain chemistry, their diet and lifestyle. Smoking pot makes me paranoid and gives me unbearable panic attacks. I tried it only a handful of times in my early migraine days. Tried one more time a few years later in chocolate obtained from a dispensary. Same thing.

My husband of ten years has been using weed since his teens (we're in early 30s now), almost daily usually at night. He is quite possibly the dopiest, forgetful, slowest person I have ever met and sometimes it is the most exasperating thing in my life. His manner doesn't change much when he's not high. In fact I've recently urged him to STOP because it is making him more depressed, contributing to bad habits, and he IS addicted to it, even if it's just psychological. I used to think it was totally harmless mentally and wasn't the least bit bothered by his pot use (and now vaping). Not anymore.

It could just be how I see it in my life and what I associate it with now (all his moron pothead friends, my potheads friends in high school and my mom's pothead fiance). There's a lot of weed going around in these circles, and statistically speaking, even at random, at least one of these people I know should be as smart as I am or better for ingesting THC for years, but no. Even when I was at my lowest point with cognitive function due to untreated major depression and sleep-onset insomnia, avoidance of many healthful foods because of migraine triggers, thereby contributing to several nutritional deficiencies over a period of nearly ten years, and a dire need for change in lifestyle, barely able to read even so much as a scifi novel, I could still do comparatively insane mental gymnastics around all of them. Which often annoyed the shit out of me because it's very boring and very isolating when you have no one around you can really talk to. I think that's pretty sad for all parties involved.

But like I said, it could just be my skewed perspective. Don't anybody take it personally.

All this sounds reasonable.

I myself think about it sometimes. I mean about real long-term effect of smoking cannabis. Probably there are many factors that can influence the effect. Among others a goal/motivation for smoking and the amounts smoked.

I don't think marijuana can make anybody permanently smarter or more creative. These effect can be however observed temporarily while under the influence. And it is also not guaranteed - because it needs effort and NOT smoking too much. I think different things can be used in a positive or negative way.
  • like x 1

#124 nells

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

I believe if i continued to smoke marijuana in my 20's i wouldn't be the sucessful entrepreneur i am

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#125 mission780

• 71 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

I believe if i continued to smoke marijuana in my 20's i wouldn't be the sucessful entrepreneur i am

Why do you think so?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neurogenesis, marijuana, cannabinoids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users