• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ever tried measuring the effects of nootropics?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frank0

• 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

I have experimented with nootropics before: piracetam, pramiracetam, alphaGPC, phenibut, creatine, l-tyrosine and modafinil (holy crap).

Before I tried them, I had the idea that I would take an IQ test and then do it again after I took the drugs. But for whatever reason, I didn't. I couldn't find a decent Internet IQ test, or maybe I did the control, but was too embarrassed and never continued with the experiment.

I did notice results with the drugs. Piracetam has a nice, mild effect. In my case, I didn't notice it, until after the fact; like, whoa, that's strange that I remembered that; I wasn't even paying attention.

Other drugs, perhaps most notably, phenibut and l-tyrosine, improve mood and make me feel good.

But it's kind of crappy way to know the efficacy of the drugs. I'm not necessarily talking about IQ tests, but have you guys ever tried some kind of objective way to test the efficacy of the drugs? Perhaps some kind of memory test or whatever?

#2 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Great question and more people should do this.
I've heard of dual-n-back from others here and that might be an option. Here is an open source version, although I haven't tried it yet.

There are lots of tests with potential like Stroop tests and Raven's Progressive Matrices.

What I want are computerized tests that can be repeated on a daily basis and still be somewhat valid, any suggestions?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 frank0

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Great question and more people should do this.
I've heard of dual-n-back from others here and that might be an option. Here is an open source version, although I haven't tried it yet.

There are lots of tests with potential like Stroop tests and Raven's Progressive Matrices.

What I want are computerized tests that can be repeated on a daily basis and still be somewhat valid, any suggestions?

Thank you very much, Al.

I downloaded the software and am going to try it out. From what I've learned from the Wiki link, researchers have found that the dual n-back test, if exercised regularly, increases the density of cortical dopamine recepters. So maybe I'll start doing this even though I'm not doing any nootropics at the moment. I'll measure my stats and when I start doing the drugs, I'll report back.

Thanks again

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 frank0

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the information, Al.

I downloaded the software and am going to try it out. From the wiki link you gave me, I read that the dual n-back test can increase the density of the cortical dopamine neuralrecepters (whatever that means :)). The upshot, I guess, is that it increases your working memory. I'd heard about stuff like this before. I don't do any drugs at the moment, but I'm going to try it for a few weeks and then measure my results. Then I'll do the drugs and see what changes.

I'll post information here.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users