Photo
- - - - -

B12 Injections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 arvcondor

• 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:42 AM

Has anyone tried this? I recently tried Cerebrolysin without much luck and wouldn't mind putting my enormous surplus of needles to good use.

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Injectable B Vitamins
Vitamin b12 injections

In a nutshell, I don't think there's really any advantage over sublingual methylcobalamin, unless you have some serious deficiency and malabsorption issues. As injection is never without risks, I don't feel there are enough (i.e. any) advantages to justify it for general usage.

Edited by chrono, 07 September 2010 - 05:22 PM.
wording

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

I'm using them myself atm, the injections are extremely easy and dont hurt at all, but yeah ive also heared sublingual works just as well, was too lazy to look at all the literature and dont mind using the injections so just went for them, as ive been having nerve pain again and in the past B12 injections quickly resolved that.

When ive used them all will probably just go for sublingual B12.

#4 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

unless you were receiving a high dose of hydroxycobalamin for the very specific purpose of combatting cyanide poisoning, i doubt that the high dose injections of b-12 can bring you anything some sublingual b12 can't.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

unless you were receiving a high dose of hydroxycobalamin for the very specific purpose of combatting cyanide poisoning, i doubt that the high dose injections of b-12 can bring you anything some sublingual b12 can't.

Unless you have an Intrinsic Factor deficiency, of course.
  • Good Point x 1

#6 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Unless you have an Intrinsic Factor deficiency, of course.

Is absorption of sublingual B12 affected by factors in the stomach?

#7 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

Here we go,

Oral vitamin B12 versus intramuscular vitamin B12 for vitamin B12 deficiency: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.
BACKGROUND: Vitamin B(12) deficiency is common, increasing with age. Most people are treated in primary care with intramuscular vitamin B(12). Several studies have reported equal efficacy of oral administration of vitamin B(12). OBJECTIVES: We set out to identify randomized controlled trial (RCT) evidence for the effectiveness of oral versus intramuscular vitamin B(12) to treat vitamin B(12) deficiency. METHODS: We conducted a systematic review searching databases for relevant RCTs. Outcomes included levels of serum vitamin B(12), total serum homocysteine and methylmalonic acid, haemoglobin and signs and symptoms of vitamin B(12) deficiency. RESULTS: Two RCTs comparing oral with intramuscular administration of vitamin B(12) met our inclusion criteria. The trials recruited a total of 108 participants and followed up 93 of these from 90 days to 4 months. In one of the studies, mean serum vitamin B(12) levels were significantly higher in the oral (643 +/- 328 pg/ml; n = 18) compared with the intramuscular group (306 +/- 118 pg/ml; n = 15) at 2 months (P < 0.001) and 4 months (1005 +/- 595 versus 325 +/- 165 pg/ml; P < 0.0005) and both groups had neurological responses. In the other study, serum vitamin B(12) levels increased significantly in those receiving oral vitamin B(12) and intramuscular vitamin B(12) (P < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The evidence derived from these limited studies suggests that 2000 microg doses of oral vitamin B(12) daily and 1000 microg doses initially daily and thereafter weekly and then monthly may be as effective as intramuscular administration in obtaining short-term haematological and neurological responses in vitamin B(12)-deficient patients.

Replacement therapy for vitamin B12 deficiency: comparison between the sublingual and oral route.
AIMS: To compare the efficacy of sublingual and oral administration of 500 micro g of cobalamin in subjects with cobalamin deficiency. MATERIALS AND RESULTS: Thirty subjects with low serum concentrations of cobalamin participated in the study. Subjects were randomly allocated to receive one tablet daily of 500 micro g cobalamin sublingually or orally, or two tablets daily of a vitamin B complex. Serum cobalamin concentrations before treatment were 94 +/- 30 pmol l-1, 108 +/- 17 pmol l-1 and 98 +/- 14 pmol l-1 in the sublingual B12, oral B12 and oral B-complex groups, respectively. After 4 weeks, concentrations rose to 288 +/- 74 pmol l-1, 286 +/- 87 pmol l-1 and 293 +/- 78 pmol l-1, respectively. The increase in each group across time was statistically significant (P = 0.0001, differences [95% confidence intervals] 194.2 (114.5, 273.9), 178.3 (104.2, 252.4), and 195.1 (135.0, 255.2) pmol l-1, respectively). There was no significant difference in concentrations between the treatment groups. CONCLUSION: A dose of 500 micro g of cobalamin given either sublingually or orally is effective in correcting cobalamin deficiency.

Efficacy of short-term oral cobalamin therapy for the treatment of cobalamin deficiencies related to food-cobalamin malabsorption: a study of 30 patients.
BACKGROUND: It has been suggested that oral cobalamin (vitamin (B12)) therapy may be an effective therapy for treating cobalamin deficiencies related to food-cobalamin malabsorption. However, the duration of this treatment was not determined. PATIENTS AND METHOD: In an open-label, nonplacebo study, we studied 30 patients with established cobalamin deficiency related to food-cobalamin malabsorption, who received between 250 and 1000 microg of oral crystalline cyanocobalamin per day for at least 1 month. ENDPOINTS: Blood counts, serum cobalamin and homocysteine levels were determined at baseline and during the first month of treatment. RESULTS: During the first month of treatment, 87% of the patients normalized their serum cobalamin levels; 100% increased their serum cobalamin levels (mean increase, +167 pg/dl; P < 0.001 compared with baseline); 100% had evidence of medullary regeneration; 100% corrected their initial macrocytosis; and 54% corrected their anemia. All patients had increased hemoglobin levels (mean increase, +0.6 g/dl) and reticulocyte counts (mean increase, +35 x 10(6)/l) and decreased erythrocyte cell volume (mean decrease, 3 fl; all P < 0.05). CONCLUSION: Our findings suggest that crystalline cyanocobalamin, 250-1000 microg/day, given orally for 1 month, may be an effective treatment for cobalamin deficiencies not related to pernicious anemia.

Oral vitamin B12 can change our practice.
Oral vitamin B12 can provide an effective alternative to intramuscular injections, so giving patients a choice and reducing costs in primary care. This study investigated the effectiveness, safety, and acceptability of oral vitamin B12 as replacement therapy in patients with vitamin B12 deficiency in a city general practice population. Forty patients previously maintained on vitamin B12 injections were given 1000 micro g of oral cyanocobalamin daily for up to 18 months. All the patients maintained satisfactory serum B12 levels and showed normal haematology and neurology. Compliance and acceptability was excellent. The time for a change in practice has indeed arrived.
FULL STUDY: http://pmj.bmjjourna...full/79/930/218

Perhaps those study's are also posted in the links chrono posted, no idea, didnt click them as i'm a lazy motherfucker :cool: .
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

^^ That's very interesting. For some reason I was under the impression that oral cyanocobalamin was almost worthless. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users