Photo
- - - - -

Overwhelming Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 thevaughny

• 40 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Part of that was helped by reading about the Jungian concept of the "shadow" self, and by reading a little book about scapegoats (which I now can't find).

http://www.amazon.co...84994054&sr=8-2

#32 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Just a small update, I decided to open up to her about the anxiety. I'm not sure if it was really a good thing but at least we're still talking. I started doing cardiovascular activities and lifting weights in the morning but on separate days. I also started drinking a good 23 g protein mix which has a mixture of whey, egg-white, and micellar casein. I've been taking 5 mg lithium orotate for the last 5 days. I have been in a really good mood lately but I'm not sure if its the lithium or a combination of my newly listed activities. I'm also not sure if its helping with my anxiety because I haven't really been anywhere out of my comfort zone lately. Thanks for the help everyone and I'll continue to make improvements as time goes on.

Glad you're feeling better!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:20 PM

Part of that was helped by reading about the Jungian concept of the "shadow" self, and by reading a little book about scapegoats (which I now can't find).

http://www.amazon.co...84994054&sr=8-2

Okay, I went and looked again and finally found it. Not the one in your link. This is it:

The Scapegoat Complex

#34 Gern

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

I suffer from spontaneous anxiety and it can be pretty intense at times. The thing that convinced me that it was not normal was when I started having anxiety when nothing was going on in my world to be anxious about. I think that's the key. If you are anxious about a specific circumstance that you can point to and say "that's making me anxious" then you may be able to control it by behavior modification. For me the following are all methods I use to control anxiety:
  • avoiding circumstances that make ma anxious
  • getting lots of sleep (low sleep greatly multiplies anxiety)
  • avoiding stimulants like caffeine
  • using relaxation techniques such as meditation or guided imagery
  • exercise
  • certain supplements L-Theanine or high doses of Vitamin-D.
If you find you're getting anxious when there's nothing to be anxious about then perhaps you should seek professional help. Determining this can be tricky because you can always find things to be anxious about. The key is to recognize when something wouldn't normally make you anxious, but is making you anxious now.

#35 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

I suffer from spontaneous anxiety and it can be pretty intense at times. The thing that convinced me that it was not normal was when I started having anxiety when nothing was going on in my world to be anxious about. I think that's the key. If you are anxious about a specific circumstance that you can point to and say "that's making me anxious" then you may be able to control it by behavior modification. For me the following are all methods I use to control anxiety:

• exercise
If you find you're getting anxious when there's nothing to be anxious about then perhaps you should seek professional help. Determining this can be tricky because you can always find things to be anxious about. The key is to recognize when something wouldn't normally make you anxious, but is making you anxious now.

I suffer with similar anxiety. I think it's not a problem for me though. It's a side effect of my low self esteem. Any situation that is challenging or threatening makes me feel hyper-vigilant and anxious. I am currently reading books on how to improve self esteem and I am also going to see a therapist as of next week. I believe that the more you practice, the better you get and the more comfortable certain things become. I used to have a phobia about going to a certain supermarket (my local) and it would always end in near panic attacks. After forcing myself to go since moving closer to it I have very minimal anxiety now whenever I visit it. I want to incorporate this into my daily life. Everyday taking small risks. I can understand your philosophy of avoidance because I have been doing a lot of that in many areas of my life for a long time. But for me it's got to that point where I need to get control back. Being avoidant and comfortable is great but are you really getting all that you need out of life by being a slave to the anxious mind?

#36 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

• exercise

I suffer with similar anxiety. I think it's not a problem for me though. It's a side effect of my low self esteem. Any situation that is challenging or threatening makes me feel hyper-vigilant and anxious. I am currently reading books on how to improve self esteem and I am also going to see a therapist as of next week. I believe that the more you practice, the better you get and the more comfortable certain things become. I used to have a phobia about going to a certain supermarket (my local) and it would always end in near panic attacks. After forcing myself to go since moving closer to it I have very minimal anxiety now whenever I visit it. I want to incorporate this into my daily life. Everyday taking small risks. I can understand your philosophy of avoidance because I have been doing a lot of that in many areas of my life for a long time. But for me it's got to that point where I need to get control back. Being avoidant and comfortable is great but are you really getting all that you need out of life by being a slave to the anxious mind?

I have actually felt less anxious mind you with some 5000iu dos of vitamin D. What has also worked it Bach rescue remedy spray. 2-4 sprays on my tounge and i feel a bit calmer and melow:)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 Gern

• 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:14 AM

I've never had a self esteeme problem. From the time I was young I was extremely independent and I just never learned to care that much about what other people thought of me. I know who I am. Avoidance isn't really my primary means of handling the issue, sleep is. For me getting to much or too little sleep can turn anxiety on and off like a light switch. The first time I had severe anxiety was when I was around 30, and it was so severe that I knew it wasn't coming from anything around me. So I never used avoidance much as a means of control because I knew avoiding things doesn't make that much difference. When anxiety is spontaneous there's nothing to avoid. What I mean by avoiding things that make you nervious is more along the lines of if you're already feeling anxious, it might not be the best time to ask the boss for a raise. I certainly wouldn't avoid dealing with a problem because for me having a problem I'm not dealing with would make me far more anxious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users