Photo
- - - - -

Weta - insect survives being frozen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coldangel

• 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

Large insects from New Zealand, called 'Weta', have evolved certain proteins in their haemolymph which prevent ice crystals forming in their cells. This prevents the cell destruction and means that the Weta can survive being frozen.

I'd say this warrants further investigation. If the gene responsible for producing this protein can be identified and transplanted into other animals in a lab environment, we might be able to replicate the effect in a mammal. After that point, if successful, a human trial might be carried out (legal issues notwithstanding).

It has applications not only for life-extension, but also for long-duration spaceflight.

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hibernation might also be a viable solution for long-duration space flights.

The Curious Case of Human Hibernation

I’m going to be talking [at TED] about unpublished work where we have demonstrated that if you make certain animals cold in an animated state, you kill them. But if you make those same animals cold, but they are now suspended, they all survive.

Edited by JLL, 17 September 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

Can we harvest it like we do with insulin? Inject the genome to some virus and collect the protein they make and use it as we need.

Sounds much more safer than injecting the DNA to humans as our current DNA manipulation techniques are far from optimal.

#4 Designer Evolution

• 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 AM

All i have to say is Human-Weta hybrid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users