Photo

Youtube movie on the mitochondria research

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Maybe this movie can be remade without the errors concerning the mechanism.

#2 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

Sven: you could post a video response.

#3 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Nope, it's better to make a new one and delete the old one. Otherwise it seems like the Institute is getting the science wrong.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

Nope, it's better to make a new one and delete the old one. Otherwise it seems like the Institute is getting the science wrong.

I agree. We have plenty of scientific expertise here, and we should present it properly. I think a video's a great idea; maybe a script would be a good approach.

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:46 AM

If possible you should put some animation and lab footage in to better demonstrate.

#6 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzihoRsVH-k&feature=channel

Maybe this movie can be remade without the errors concerning the mechanism.

Urg, I'm going to slap myself. 

I told BP that the video was okay to post but I didn't really take the time to closely examine the science part of it. I apologize for this. 

It would have been better to say that the electrons from the electron transport chain in the mitochondria sometimes go astray and lead to the formation of free radicals (Reactive Oxygen Species - ROS). What the mitochondrial uncoupling project aims to do is reduce the formation of ROS at the site of mitochondria. If chemical uncoupling works in this regard, we can examine mtDNA damage to see if that is reduced as well. Most interestingly, we can look for an increase in lifespan in C. Elegans, and ask whether or not that increase is a result of the reduction of mtDNA damage. 

Again, apologies to BP and the rest; I really should have looked more closely. 

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Is it a good time for me to say that I think you would get a much better outcome by reducing pathogenic bacteria in the cytoplasm?

#8 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

I would rather keep the science in there. If we do that then Ill need somebody to film such a piece and send it to me, or send me a script. We've redone it with out the science.

#9 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

The free radicals are a defense mechanism that the mitochondria uses to kill anaerobic bacteria. The mitochondria are not malfunctioning mutants; the conditions within the cell are becoming more hostile and thus
the mitchondria are forced to fight to survive. If mitchondria were damaged they would create good mitochondria again by having sex with each other (fusion) and creating offspring (fission)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users