Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Assumption that Life can be Restarted

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Yea it does sound a bit like s-f but I wasn't thinking about society as a whole but some religious groups that refuse to change their attitude (there are always some conservative people like that) think about Jehovah's witnesses and their attitude towards blood transfushions or radical pro-life groups that kill doctors because they believe that featus does have a soul.

Okay, but there's only so much value you can put on such loose speculation. The Jehovah's witnesses have only been around for eighty years. Religions are constantly going extinct, are new ones are constantly cropping up. Why are you so sure Jehovah's witnesses will even exist in, say, 250 years?

#32 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

No such falsification is possible. The success or failure of any medical therapy does not prove or disprove the existence of God.

Then why are you worried about Cryonics and world religions falling apart? I mean, I agree if Cryonics worked or not wouldn't falsify God, but you implied, at least, as such.

#33 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

No such falsification is possible. The success or failure of any medical therapy does not prove or disprove the existence of God.

Then why are you worried about Cryonics and world religions falling apart? I mean, I agree if Cryonics worked or not wouldn't falsify God, but you implied, at least, as such.

Not me. I've been arguing the opposite. Religions that have exhibited staying-power over centuries and millennia do so because doctrine evolves to maintain some consistency with what is discovered about physical reality. The Catholic church no longer supports geocentrism, for example.

As medicine develops the ability to recover people from more advanced states of cardiac arrest, this won't be seen as disproving the existence of Heaven, Hell, or God. It will simply change the perception of when people really die, moving the boundary between life and death farther out.

No matter how advanced technology becomes, I believe there will always be people who believe there is more to existence than just physical reality. It's human nature. If the prevalence of such beliefs becomes lower than today, it will be because of many factors, not any single technology.

Edited by bgwowk, 04 October 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#34 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Not me. I've been arguing the opposite. Religions that have exhibited staying-power over centuries and millennia do so because doctrine evolves to maintain some consistency with what is discovered about physical reality. The Catholic church no longer supports geocentrism, for example.

As medicine develops the ability to recover people from more advanced states of cardiac arrest, this won't be seen as disproving the existence of Heaven, Hell, or God. It will simply change the perception of when people really die, moving the boundary between life and death farther out.

No matter how advanced technology becomes, I believe there will always be people who believe there is more to existence than just physical reality. It's human nature. If the prevalence of such beliefs becomes lower than today, it will be because of many factors, not any single technology.

I am going to disagree with this and say that Religion will decline, it is only really in the last century, that many of the places that God inhabited and was needed for have replaced. You don't need to pray to the Gods for it to rain, to save your son from death, to protect you from death(we are still working on this one clearly:)), or as an explanation for 100 other things that just seemed out of our control. In most developed countries religion is in decline (USA is pretty much the outlier on this one), especially when you take out the factor of immigrants bringing their religions over to the host country.

As for the assumption that life can be restarted, no one believes this is possible for 100%. But lets faces it what is the alternative. 100% dead vs 91% dead and 9% thawed out, it is pretty obvious which is better.

#35 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Okay, but there's only so much value you can put on such loose speculation. The Jehovah's witnesses have only been around for eighty years. Religions are constantly going extinct, are new ones are constantly cropping up. Why are you so sure Jehovah's witnesses will even exist in, say, 250 years?

I don't care that much about Jehovah witnesses it's just a example. You can expect that many people would have problems with accepting cryonics and other new things because of their religion or ideology, we don't know if this groups exist today but it's quite safe to say that when the time comes almost all existing religions and cults will be interested just because it's a popular subject.

#36 enoonsti

• 81 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Glad to see that the implications of Gregory S. Paul's research have started to sink in, BTW.

Yes, I bookmarked that page a while ago; I can't remember if it was you or David Stodolsky who provided the link on Cryonet (I'll just say it was both of you :) )

Given that religion in the West has already declined substantially, why do cryonicists even bother with these "no conflict" arguments to appease an increasingly irrelevant social force?

As somebody said elsewhere, evangelicals can make for an expensive enemy, and it's best to stress that we're not an enemy. Otherwise (and this concern may be ludicrous), Alcor and CI may get a visit one day from a "Let's bomb abortion clinics" type of evangelical.

You can expect that many people would have problems with accepting cryonics and other new things because of their religion or ideology, we don't know if this groups exist today but it's quite safe to say that when the time comes almost all existing religions and cults will be interested just because it's a popular subject.

Perhaps all cryonics logos should now come with pictures of defibrillators.

Edited by enoonsti, 04 October 2010 - 06:08 PM.

#37 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

You can expect that many people would have problems with accepting cryonics and other new things because of their religion or ideology, we don't know if this groups exist today but it's quite safe to say that when the time comes almost all existing religions and cults will be interested just because it's a popular subject.

What makes you so sure? To me, it's not even clear that religions will exist in a recognizable form in 100 years, let alone 250. Take, for example, these predictions (skip to 1:35):

Edited by Trent, 05 October 2010 - 12:27 AM.

#38 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

What makes you so sure? To me, it's not even clear that religions will exist in a recognizable form in 100 years, let alone 250. Take, for example, these predictions (skip to 1:35):

Interesting but I don't... believe that religion will go extinct, at least not all around the world. It depends from many factors politics, economy perhaps also technology but I think it's quite safe to assume that there are too many believers on this world to extinct in 250-300 years, religious people might become minority in developed countries (that seem to be the trend today) but as we see islam and christianity is making gains in Africa so Vatican might become a museum there might be a new papal state somwhere in Africa, well they already have St.Peter Basilica in Yamoussoukro.
Anyway the only thing that might be incompatible with core values of many religious people would be the singularity or at least some aspects of it like transhumanism, uploading etc. but while 300 years should be enough even in pessimistic predictions we should remember that with big changes there are always people against them.

#39 Trent

• 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

I think it's quite safe to assume that there are too many believers on this world to extinct in 250-300 years...

I don't think that's a safe assumption at all. I think that is an enormously speculative assumption.

#40 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I think it's quite safe to assume that there are too many believers on this world to extinct in 250-300 years...

I don't think that's a safe assumption at all. I think that is an enormously speculative assumption.

I agree, one generation is all it takes given the right circumstances. Though I would use the world irrelevant rather than extint, as all it takes is for one person to believe for a religion to be alive.

#41 Fundie

• 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

I'm a Christian fundamentalist, and I can't figure out this argument at all. I can't see what problem Christian theology has with medical procedures that save someone's life and involve any combination of unconsciousness, stopped hearts, stopped brain activity, deep hypothermia, solid state hypothermia, and/or molecular nanotechnological repair. If it works, I simply say glory be to God. I think it'd be great for unproven medical procedures to work out and for lifespans to be vastly extended, health to be improved, and for people to live virtually indefinitely.

People are revived from having their hearts stopped all the time. I don't worry about where their soul went. Embryoes are defrosted and develop into babies all the time, and I don't worry about where their soul went. Every so often someone goes into surgery with his heart and brain disconnected and comes out alive, after damage is repaired and heart and brain are restarted, and nobody at church I know worries about where their soul went. If I woke up from one of these treatments, I can't imagine why you think I would see it as disproof of God, disproof of the afterlife, or disproof of a soul. In fact, cloning happens in nature all the time (identical twins), and I never worry about how they got two souls, nor would I worry if artificially induced cloning were developed.

Well they wouldn't ask that question. You know what the response to that is. Great, you went from a whopping 6 minutes to a whopping 10 minutes. People who believe in a spirit / soul would say "So what?"

Why would there be any response? Nobody offers these medical treatments as disproof of the existence of a soul, and I can't figure out why you or anyone else would want to offer cryonic suspension as such.

Even with today's technology you have no idea if they're really "dead" yet.

That is exactly the point. As Thomas Donaldson said, with potentially workable suspension, we move from a presumption of death to a presumption of life. We will practically never know when a person is not going to be revived; some people may wait centuries before we work out how to cure what ails them and get them breathing and conscious again.

http://www.alcor.org...Archeology.html

I hope Dr. Donaldson recovers some day, and think it would be great to have a conversation with him.

But it is a valid discussion to wonder if its even possible. Likewise I dont see how the anesthesia, or "being asleep" or "coma" argument mentioned above is even valid to this thread. In none of those cases is the person recognized as dead so obviously - on a theological level - their spirit / soul wouldn't be expected to depart from their body. Im just looking at this how those with faith would look at it.

I'm not really sure you have a clear bearing on how a person with faith would look at it. Two persons of faith have already talked to you about it and explained why it isn't an issue to them, and now I am a third. You've got a Protestant fundamentalist, a Catholic, and I think Mr. Wowk is Seventh Day Adventist? That's three different Christian perspectives, none of which seem to meet your predictions of how a person of faith would look at it.

The questions you are posing in this thread don't seem troubling to the religious people responding, and they don't seem troubling to the atheists responding. The only person who seems to be troubled by them is you, as far as I can tell.

I think the strongest argument anyone could ever have at this point is the issue of the frozen embryo. There's a girl who was frozen for 13 years and born a fully healthy baby. I've already posed the question to my friends in the Christian faith - exactly what was her spirit / soul doing for 13 years? Just hangin out? That question NEEDS to be answered by those of faith and they ignore it just like those without faith tend to ignore this particular topic.

I'm confused ... why do they NEED to answer this question? Isn't a simple "I don't know" sufficient? I can't even tell you where my soul *is* now. I'm not sure if it's located in my body or not. I'm not sure if it's made of my brain or not. What difference does it make to those making preparations for an experimental medical procedure?
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#42 Luke Parrish

• 140 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for sharing your viewpoint on this, Fundie. I think some people have trouble picturing cryonics working in a world where souls are real, but there doesn't seem to be a direct conflict between the two concepts. The soul could exist in suspended form, just as it presumably does when you are asleep or under hypothermia.

You might be losing time that could be spent in heaven, but a) no matter how long you wait there's still eternity ahead, and b) being born later in history has already cost you a couple thousand years, so it can't be all that bad. Some Christians believe the soul sleeps until the last judgment anyway. (It wouldn't make sense for Cain to suffer more total years in hell than Hitler, would it?)
  • dislike x 1

#43 CryoBurger

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

I'm a Christian fundamentalist, and I can't figure out this argument at all.

You appear out of nowhere ... with 1 post ... and a username "Fundie" ... perfectly crafted to respond to this particular topic in this particular thread. And you dont look, or think, or smell like a Fundie at all. I sense something fishy going on here. :) You're speaking to a guy who has a degree in Biblical studies, from one of the most conservative Bible Colleges ever known to the human race, who graduated with Honors and a degree in Philosophy and Religion. So as far as useless book knowledge on Christianity, its theology, and how Christians think and perceive things - I am choc full of that stuff. And quite honestly, in all my years I have never heard a single "fundie" call themselves a "fundie". Its a derogatory term created by those who can't stand Fundamentalist Christians. Its not a term even I called myself when I used to be one. You dont speak or think like a "fundie" and your viewpoints don't match those of a fundie. So either you are pretending to be a Fundie or you're one of those people who thinks you're a Fundie because of some loose association with the Christian faith, at best. So let me just get that out there right at the beginning. Lets just call it a hunch that you may not be what you say you are.... call it a vibe.

I can't see what problem Christian theology has with medical procedures that save someone's life and involve any combination of unconsciousness, stopped hearts, stopped brain activity, deep hypothermia, solid state hypothermia, and/or molecular nanotechnological repair. If it works, I simply say glory be to God. I think it'd be great for unproven medical procedures to work out and for lifespans to be vastly extended, health to be improved, and for people to live virtually indefinitely.

We're not really discussing logic here. If people thought logically, the entire planet would be in a horrific uproar right now that we're all going to die. If perspective and reality played into the equation with religion, there would be no stigma associated with this. But anyone with any basic knowledge of Christianity knows exactly why Cryonics is viewed as many possible negative things. Im not saying it should be that way. And I agree with you that it shouldnt be that way. For all the exact same reasons. If you arent aware of their reasons for having a problem with it, then I am skeptical of the level of knowledge you have on the social opinions of those in the Church.

If I woke up from one of these treatments, I can't imagine why you think I would see it as disproof of God, disproof of the afterlife, or disproof of a soul.

You're assuming that nothing happens spiritually when someone dies. You have absolutely zilch to draw upon, to make that assumption, therefore your conclusion that none of this matters is ... quite simply ... faulty logic. My assumption that something spiritual may occur after the moment of death at least has nearly 15,000 years of world religions backing it, and the agreed upon belief system of literally hundreds of billions of people who have ever lived. So at least that's something. But wouldn't it be funny if it were all wrong? :) That's what we're discussing here. Exactly what we're discussing. So poo-pooing this topic is terrible logic. Someone being dead for 600 years who reports no afterlife - this is significant. Extremely. You cant compare someone dead for 30 seconds to someone dead for 600 years, spiritually. (im assuming, based on the theologies of the worlds religions). You also cant compare a non thinking embryo to a person who has lived for 70 years and then died. Theoretically / Religiously speaking of course. This is an annoying argument because neither of us knows the "rules" after death when it comes to God, Spirits, Timing, Heaven, Hell or simply - "Nothingness". However I do firmly believe that the first person revived from Cryonics will be carrying news regarding the "afterlife" that many scientists, sociologists, theologians, and the general public will want to hear about. "Man dead for 600 years says - No Heaven" would be the headlines. And if you truly believe that isnt going to carry some weight (at least with todays audience), we can agree to disagree.

Luke is correct that there *is* a subset of Christianity that believes the state of the spirit / soul is "sleep" until the final judgment day when all the dead will rise. In such a situation, there is no heaven after the lights go dark.

Who knows ... maybe the resurrection of the dead mentioned in the bible is .... Cryonics. God works through Science in every other way doesn't He?

In fact, cloning happens in nature all the time (identical twins), and I never worry about how they got two souls, nor would I worry if artificially induced cloning were developed.

Once again I completely agree with you, but I dont agree that the question on the table is a non-issue.

Well they wouldn't ask that question. You know what the response to that is. Great, you went from a whopping 6 minutes to a whopping 10 minutes. People who believe in a spirit / soul would say "So what?"

Why would there be any response? Nobody offers these medical treatments as disproof of the existence of a soul, and I can't figure out why you or anyone else would want to offer cryonic suspension as such.

Youre negating a thousand theological problems in your statements. You are the most peculiar fundamentalist christian ive spoken to in years. Then again Ive met hundreds of people who claim to be something Christian-related, and they dont have the first clue about their own theology, so maybe thats the group you fit within. No disrespect intended. Association by familial ties, Living in Texas, watching Fox News a lot, or even going to a Christian Church doesn't make you a Christian. What makes you a fundamentalist christian is your belief system. If you believe that there is "no response" to the question of death / spirit / heaven / and what happens after you die, then your form of Christianity is not one I am familiar with. Even though I completely agree with you :) But I dont claim to be a "Fundie" anymore....

with potentially workable suspension, we move from a presumption of death to a presumption of life. We will practically never know when a person is not going to be revived; some people may wait centuries before we work out how to cure what ails them and get them breathing and conscious again.

Creative semantics at best. You can no more claim the person is still alive than I can claim they are permenantly dead. But what i can do is confidently claim theyre CURRENTLY dead. You cant confidently claim anything. Therein lies the difference. For you to claim theyre still alive is a nonsensical statement that is being adopted into these circles for the sake of necessity. I saw it in the "Long Life" book Ive been reading as well, where it was the fundamental point of the legal battle. The assumption that the person was just suspended versus dead. Therefore it wasnt a murder. Reminds me of a tricky attorney, which it was, in the book. No. Theyre dead.

Just like if you turn off my computer, its for all intents and purposes dead. The only difference is there's a button I can press to revive it. So we wouldnt really call the computer dead. But thats based on one criteria: that we know it can CURRENTLY be restarted. When the computer no longer starts despite all our efforts, its called "Dead". Likewise, with current technology, you cant restart any of these people. Therefore they are dead. For now. The proper semantics is whether this state of being is permenant, or just current. Are they revivable? Or will they remain dead.

Maybe this answers my above question. Maybe youre just in denial about their current state, so you can pretend the whole "god / spirit" thing doesnt kick into gear when they die. Maybe you believe the theological doctrine that the dead "sleep" until judgment day. Then again Jesus also told the theif on the cross "You will be with me this day, in Paradise". However id place bets you weren't aware of two schools of thought on this issue as none of your post indicates even the slightest bit of Biblical knowledge. By the way, when exactly does it kick into gear if 600 years of being dead doesnt initiate that process? You'd think if there WAS a god and a human spirit, dying might be the transition point for all of that?

But it is a valid discussion to wonder if its even possible. Likewise I dont see how the anesthesia, or "being asleep" or "coma" argument mentioned above is even valid to this thread. In none of those cases is the person recognized as dead so obviously - on a theological level - their spirit / soul wouldn't be expected to depart from their body. Im just looking at this how those with faith would look at it.

I'm not really sure you have a clear bearing on how a person with faith would look at it.

This was the most humorous part of your post. I doubt you've met anyone with as much understanding of Christian theology in your life, to be quite honest. Especially one who no longer holds to some of that theology and has seen things from both sides of the coin rather than the one-sided blind viewpoint that can't entertain thought experiments like these. Rest assured I know more about how a person of faith would view things than I could ever want to know. I dont say that arrogantly. Im not too incredibly proud of it, because it has made my thought-life nearly impossible to live with. We are having a three part discussion here:

(1) Those of "Faith" who actually hold to established Theologies *would* state that its *not possible* to raise the dead.
(2) Despite our optimism on resucitation techniques, nobody has ever raised the "long dead".
(3) So the question of whether its even possible to revive a "long dead" individual is a valid one, and one which those of faith would say "no" to.

Moving on...

That's three different Christian perspectives, none of which seem to meet your predictions of how a person of faith would look at it.

And three Christians who hang out on a Cryonics forum - out of 70 million Christians in this world, is a very good cross section. You're right ... you just failed Science 101. Statistically insignificant is a term that even 3 out of 70 million doesn't even come close to meeting. Tell you what. I can have 700 of my classmates from my graduating class shoot you an email and let you know why cryonics is "of the devil", is "against gods will" and any number of other upsetting, ridiculous things if you really want to engage me in how Christians think. Without you even telling me, I can painfully see you dont hold to the same belief systems as most Christians. No matter what you may think. No matter what you have tricked yourself into believing. Christianity isnt a smorgasbord of differing ideas. Thats the beauty, and the downfall of Religion. There is only one definition. One rulebook. One set of beliefs. Otherwise it becomes another religion, and you're given a different Title. There are denominations for the discrepencies, but major issues like this one are different. Christianity has a guidebook and a rule book. And those who dont hold to the viewpoint simply need to change their title from Christian, to something else. Im not saying theyre right. And I dont agree with them. But you are not, by a longshot, one of them. At least not on this topic.

Consider that a compliment. :)

-CB-

Edited by CryoBurger, 12 October 2010 - 07:29 AM.

• like x 1

#44 Fundie

• 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hi, CryoBurger, I don't have time to write the full response your post deserves (I'm in awe; I don't know many people who are wordier than myself, but you are one of them!), so I'll just throw out a couple of thoughts and hopefully have time to come back with a full response later:

* Apologies for accusing you of not understanding Christian theology; I hope you'll extend me the same courtesy
* You're using unusual phrases like "'currently' dead" but you think I'm the one using creative semantics?
* I am indeed a Christian fundamentalist; literal 6000-year creationist, even. I attend church nearly every week, try to read my Bible regularly, believe in verbal-plenary inspiration, the virgin birth and deity and supremacy of Christ, and I believe in heaven and hell. I'm not sure what you need for my fundamentalist credentials. In using the name "Fundie" I am being intentionally self-deprecating, hoping to set people at ease because I know there are a lot of people who hate fundamentalists, but I want to emphasize that aspect of myself in this context. I'm sure I am peculiar in some respects even to some fundamentalists, but I assure you that the vast majority of non-Christians and mainline church members , if they saw me attend church and heard what we believe and teach, would lump me right in with fundamentalism, probably with a few expletives to send me on my way. As a scholar you might be able to classify me into a particular type of fundamentalism, but I doubt you'd place me outside of it.

Finally, most important:
* Your logical fallacy is you are begging the question. You are assuming and insisting (very forcefully, for some reason) that suspended persons are currently dead. I won't assume that; to me they just have unknown status. For them death is a process that has been arrested at some unknown point. Certainly theological problems might be raised for some Christians if they are indeed dead. (But even my wife just says "Why shouldn't Christians support medical treatments that can reverse death?") But you can't prove they are dead by repeated assertion. I don't see any rationale presented for regarding them as having a different status from "heart patient, on the operating table, no brain and heart activity, very cold, body extremely damaged." It's a difference of degree, not of kind, unless you want to offer some proof of a difference in kind rather than just saying it very insistently.
  • like x 1

#45 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

I agree with Brian on this. Cryonics is a medical technology, nothing less and nothing more. It does not conflict with religion any more than any other medical technology. I also do not believe the development of anti-aging and reanimation of cryonics members will bring about an end to organized religion. Organized religion like Christianity has proven remarkably adaptable to increased knowledge and changed social conditions. I see no reason to believe that this cannot continue into the future.

#46 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

I agree with Brian on this. Cryonics is a medical technology, nothing less and nothing more. It does not conflict with religion any more than any other medical technology. I also do not believe the development of anti-aging and reanimation of cryonics members will bring about an end to organized religion. Organized religion like Christianity has proven remarkably adaptable to increased knowledge and changed social conditions. I see no reason to believe that this cannot continue into the future.

What I fear is Christianity perceiving it as a threat. The power that religion holds over governments and thier policy can have severe ramifications for us. The religious right in the US has already set back medicine 20 years thanks to thier misguided beliefs. I can't pick on Christianity specifically though, many of the most evil acts man has ever inflicted upon one another has been done in the name of a 'god'.

#47 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

I'm not convinced that religion is the threat to us. Having been around the cryonics scene long enough, I would go as far as to say that blaming "religion" for our problems is not only misplaced and counterproductive. It is unacceptable.

As Brian has pointed out, we have religious members including a recent president. There are elements of the religious right that oppose us. But I think most religious people are indifferent to our objectives. Mike Darwin always considered the demonization of religious people as the "enemy" of cryonics to be totally misplaced and unreasonable. I agree with him on this. Also, the opposition to the use of stem cells derived from embryos does not constitute opposition to medical progress in general. Their position is not unreasonable if you accept their claim that embryos constitute human life. I do not agree with this position, but recognize it as a legitimate argument. The religious right has always claimed they would never oppose any stem cell regeneration medicine that did not involve the use of embryos. In fact, the religious organizations (at least the ones on the internet) were the biggest promoters of the iPS technology when it was first announced in fall of '07.

Believe me. I'm a hard-core atheist and do not much care for the religious right. However, this is one issue they cannot be blamed for.

I see the excessive regulation and uncontrolled growth of government, resulting mostly (but not entirely) from the liberal-left, as the real enemy of cryonics and radical life extension in general (I consider this to be the real enemy of any kind of productivity and accomplishment). It is the refusal of the FDA to even consider aging a treatable condition (and consequent refusal to approve any therapy or compound for this purpose, even if it does work) along with the excessively politicized approval process for new medical therapies, in general, that is our biggest enemy. This is mostly the work of politicians and government bureaucrats, most of who subscribe to a "liberal-left" worldview.

The biggest problem in getting decent cryo-suspension is the requirement that you be legally "dead" prior to be cryo-preserved. This requires the cooperation of medical personal that quite often are hostile towards cryo-preservation in general. If this ever were to change, cryo-preserving "live" people would require a huge amount of FDA regulation such that the procedure might become prohibitively expensive, even for insurance. This is the "catch-22" of cryo-preservation with regards to the government and medical bureaucracy.

The problem is politicians and government bureaucracy, not religious people.

#48 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

There is one issue where cryonics does "cross swords" with some of the religious right. This is the issue of assisted suicide. The government bureaucracy requirement that you be legally "dead" in order to be cryo-preserved makes it difficult for people with certain degenerative conditions to be cryo-preserved with any chance of their neuro-structure being effectively preserved. Alzheimer's is the condition that most often comes to mind. Inoperable brain cancer is another. In fact, it was an inoperable brain cancer that lead Thomas Donaldson to sue for the right to be cryo-preserved either while legally alive or to have assisted suicide such that he could be immediately cryo-preserved. He fought and lost this case in 1990.

http://www.alcor.org...mpAbstract.html

The religious position in "right to die" issue had very influence on the Donaldson case.

#49 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

I would go as far as to say that blaming "religion" for our problems is not only misplaced and counterproductive. It is unacceptable.

You misunderstand me. I am not saying religion is a problem for cryonics 'now'.

The problem is politicians and government bureaucracy, not religious people.

...and when religion goes hand in hand with politicians, as it does in many countries and at times, the US as well? Sorry, but I have to disagree 100% with you on this, especially from a historical perspective.

#50 CryoBurger

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

I'm going to take this topic another direction.

The logic behind Cryonics is that whatever killed someone can just be repaired, and then the person can be "brought back to life".

The assumption is that we are nothing more than machines that can be turned back on, once the dysfunction which killed us is repaired.

There is something inherently wrong with this logic, and this is what it is:

Lets say someone died from a blood clot which caused their heart to stop.

Lets say they haven't been dead long enough for their brain to have deteriorated to the point of being a vegetable, but they've been dead significantly long enough that theyve been "declared" and the sheet is over their head.

Do we really believe that you could go in there, remove the clot, and then just "Start them up again" ?

Of course not. Why don't we do that every day? There would be entire areas of hospitals for the "recently dead" to undergo "repairs" and then "reactivation". But you can't. Once you're dead - You're dead.

We make so many assumptions - "WEll the person will need *NANOTECHNOLOGY* robots to go in and rebuild cellular structure, clear out the disease, and repair the damage". Why do we assume everyone is going to die of a complex cause? A lot of people die because they cut themself and bled out. Nobody is around to help them but someone shows up 15 minutes too late. It happens to be an ambulance, lets say. Person's brain is still fully intact, but they are dead as a doornail. Why don't they regularly pull such people into the ambulance, stitch up the cut, pump some new blood into them, and then "turn on the switch" ? After all, the thing which killed them is now "fixed". So lets switch the machine back on. Why arent we pulling them into hospitals and "turning them back on again" ?

Because "life" doesnt work like that.

Once they're dead, theyre dead. At some point you're past the point of no return. And its not necessarily brain deterioration based.

What im shooting at is this difficult-to-describe concept that is assumed to be true.

The assumption that "life" is nothing more than reactivating respiration.

If that person died, and you removed the clot, and put them on a breathing machine to force respiration .... they would remain dead, even though something is encouraging bloodflow and breathing.

I guess another way of putting this is as follows: Maybe once the brain turns off, it simply can't be turned back on again.

You can't just "fix the cancer" and then "turn the person back on again".

I have a feeling that once we try to do this, we're going to realize there's more to "life" than just a beating heart.

Thoughts?

Edited by CryoBurger, 31 October 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#51 Pour_la_Science

• 128 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Lets say someone died from a blood clot which caused their heart to stop.

Lets say they haven't been dead long enough for their brain to have deteriorated to the point of being a vegetable, but they've been dead significantly long enough that theyve been "declared" and the sheet is over their head.

Do we really believe that you could go in there, remove the clot, and then just "Start them up again" ?

Of course not. Why don't we do that every day? There would be entire areas of hospitals for the "recently dead" to undergo "repairs" and then "reactivation". But you can't. Once you're dead - You're dead.

I think it's interesting you've chosen the example of the clot inside your organism to illustrate your thoughts because it's precisely a medical domain where we've got some information about what's going on.
Where there's the clot, in the brain blood flood for example, blood stops circulating, but the cells not irrigated are still there! They don't disappear, but enter in a phase of ischemia. Their functions are reduced, annihilated.
In this state, a patient is under shock, a "vegetable" state,as you mentionned. In our actual modern medicine, we can remove the clot, and sometimes, the cells themselves come back to life.
But we don't know why these cells come back, which functions are essential for them to come back etc... We can't predict when, or which patient will recover his cerebral function. It's only a guess based on probability. So there are a lot of advances needed in this domain!
We don't know how to "switch them on again" again, to quote you, but nevertheless some of them come back naturally. Since we, for the moment, don't do much to make them "on" again, I think it's premature to say that we'll "never" know how to do that.

All this to say that death is not a on/off function, as long as the cells are still in place probably. But a transitory state. If we think about it, the limit, where you are pronunced dead, is mainly arbritary, and depends on the present efficiency of your technoloy, no more than that

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 31 October 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#52 Luke Parrish

• 140 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

The assumption that "life" is nothing more than reactivating respiration.

I don't assume it is that simple at all. Rather I think every part of the body other than the brain will be replaced, and the brain itself will undergo massive repairs to its circulatory system, the cellular membranes of the neurons, the severed dendrite connections, etc.

When it is gradually warmed after all this, there's no reason whatsoever to expect it not to resume normal function. Hypothermia patients are routinely reanimated after losing electrical activity in the brain.

I do think there's a high chance of memory deletion. Effective brain repair will probably involve replacing certain sections, which implies any memories stored in that section are irretrievably gone. There will need to be a lot of experimentation done on computer models and animal models before revival of humans will be ethically feasible, both because the memory deletion needs to be kept to a minimum and because gross structural damage needs to be repaired very well to prevent the brain trauma from causing severe mental disability. I am fairly certain that this second goal will be successful, as it does not have the kind of theoretical barriers that restoring memories does.

#53 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

Once they're dead, theyre dead. At some point you're past the point of no return. And its not necessarily brain deterioration based.

What im shooting at is this difficult-to-describe concept that is assumed to be true.

You seem to be arguing that biological matter cannot be mechanistically healed under certain conditions because there is an essential ingredient to life that is non-mechanistic, and appeal to popular intuition to support this belief. However this belief is merely 19th-century vitalism. Vitalism persists in popular culture, but it has no basis in modern science. Vitalism is to biology as the luminiferous aether is to physics. It's disproven long ago, but culture has yet not caught up.

#54 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

Vitalism as described here was scientifically falsified over a century ago. Much of common culture has yet to catch up to this fact.

#55 Fundie

• 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

At some point you're past the point of no return. And its not necessarily brain deterioration based.

That may very well be so but we do not know where that point is. At one point in time we thought that when a person stopped breathing they were dead. Turns out breathing can be restarted. At one point we thought that when the heart stopped beating the person was dead. Turns out the heart can be restarted. Now we know people can recover from a short period of brain ischemia.

We do not know where the point of no return is or even if there is a point of no return. We do not know how future technologies will be able to extend the period of time that damage can go on and still be repaired, or how those technologies will be able to repair new kinds of damage.

We simply do not know if certain people are alive or dead.

And since we do not know, many people would like to not be buried or cremated in such a situation, but would prefer to be cryopreserved in case the future can bring them back.

Better to hold on to a few dead people for too long than to bury those who are still barely alive.

#56 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

Fundie, please check your private messages on this board.

#57 CryoBurger

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

I think it's interesting you've chosen the example of the clot inside your organism to illustrate your thoughts

Dont focus on my specific example. I'm not medically educated enough to come up with a really good example of a *Reversible Cause of Death* that isnt reversed in time because the person couldn't get help in time. But they do exist. And we can't just fix the cause and turn the person back on again.

In my original post I stated that "reviving" people is the elephant in the room with cryonics. A huge issue that is pretty much ignored as a "non-issue". Nobody even thinks to wonder if a dead body can be *restarted*. They just assume it can. I know this is primarily because most people in the Cryonics world don't believe in a spirit. But its not only religion based. You dont necessarily *need* a "spirit" to explain why we haven't brought back a single dead person by simply fixing the cause of their death. Yes we bring back dead people, but not by simply fixing the cause of the death. More is involved.

Restarting a dead body becomes the whole "Frankenstein" ... lightening thing. My assumption is that at some point - just like with a frozen embryo - someone is going to have to develop a technology that "electrifies" the organism. But it wont be that simple. They require both a jolt of electricity, and a very specific cocktail of enzymes and amino acids. An adult human body - complex organism - will be more difficult.

When it is gradually warmed after all this, there's no reason whatsoever to expect it not to resume normal function.

Exactly what starts the heart beating again, and why isnt a fully warm person, who is dead, with no physical deterioration simply "restarted" today? You seem to be implying that as they reach a certain temperature, suddenly their extremely complex system will just start ticking like a clock. Even a clock needs a source of *power* to begin operating again. It doesnt just start on its own.

Vitalism is to biology as the luminiferous aether is to physics. It's disproven long ago, but culture has yet not caught up.

Can you point me to where Vitalism has been disproven by the Scientific World? Published, peer reviewed Journal and Article references will be necessary.

-CB-

Edited by CryoBurger, 08 November 2010 - 01:35 AM.

#58 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

In my original post I stated that "reviving" people is the elephant in the room with cryonics. A huge issue that is pretty much ignored as a "non-issue".

It's an issue for popular culture, but not science. It's popular culture that views death as a discrete event. There is no such event in science. In science there are only changes in the chemical state of organism. Resuscitation only depends on whether the chemistry can be put right again. There is no "electricity" required. This is established fact.

There is a reason that biochemistry is a core course requirement for medical students. The nature of a living thing, whether it is sick or healthy, functional or non-functional, is determined by the structure of atoms and molecules inside it. This is the central paradigm upon which biomedical science in 2010 is based. Every new drug, new therapy, or intervention performed in a mainstream hospital today is based on it.

The idea that life and death reduce to only changes in arrangements of atoms and molecules is so contrary to popular intuition that you feel it cannot be the whole story. However your intuition is wrong. People believe a great many things based on popular culture or intuition that are wrong. The "life force" idea is one them.

Nobody even thinks to wonder if a dead body can be *restarted*. They just assume it can.

This is because of the well-established fact of medical science that living things are made of atoms and molecules, and if you put atoms and molecules together in the pattern that they are supposed to be in inside tissue, then that tissue will "live." People formerly thought dead are recovered all the time now because we are getting better at doing that.

Yes we bring back dead people, but not by simply fixing the cause of the death. More is involved.

Agreed. Resuscitation is all about restoring chemistry. That's what the cocktail of drugs administered during cardiac resuscitation do. They normalize pH, ion balances, and other aspects of cell chemistry.

Imagine that a person bleeds to death. Their heart stops pumping. They are clinically dead. You are right that merely replacing the lost blood will not resuscitate them. Drugs also need to be administered to treat the damage caused by the interval of insufficient blood supply. An electrical shock may be necessary to reset the heart to a correct pumping rhythm. If the adverse changes in heart muscle tissue caused by lack of oxygen can be reversed, then the person can be resuscitated.

A new approach to the treatment of exsanguinating trauma is being developed that would actually involve cooling clinical dead people to buy more time to fix their underlying problems before attempting to resuscitate them. This is because medicine recognizes that if you "put a person back together" properly at gross and biochemical levels, even in a state of clinical death, they will wake up again.

Restarting a dead body becomes the whole "Frankenstein" ... lightening thing. My assumption is that at some point - just like with a frozen embryo - someone is going to have to develop a technology that "electrifies" the organism. But it wont be that simple. They require both a jolt of electricity, and a very specific cocktail of enzymes and amino acids.

Life doesn't work that way. Frozen embryos aren't "electrified" to revive them. They are just warmed up, cryoprotectants removed, placed in growth media at warm temperature, and off they go doing what living things do.

The idea that dead things need to be "electrified" to revive them is pop culture, not science. The electrical shocks administered to people during cardiac resuscitation are to reset bad electrical rhythms in the heart (the electrical equivalent of slapping a hysterical person across the face). They don't supply any energy or life force.

When it is gradually warmed after all this, there's no reason whatsoever to expect it not to resume normal function.

Exactly what starts the heart beating again, and why isnt a fully warm person, who is dead, with no physical deterioration simply "restarted" today? You seem to be implying that as they reach a certain temperature, suddenly their extremely complex system will just start ticking like a clock. Even a clock needs a source of *power* to begin operating again. It doesnt just start on its own.

Clocks don't, but life does. In my lab we've taken human hearts removed from deceased donors and stored on ice for 18 hours, connected the hearts to a machine that supplies warm oxygenated human blood, and the hearts start beating again spontaneously when they become warm enough. That's how life works.

Life doesn't use electricity for energy. It is uses a chemical called adenosine triphosphate (ATP). If there is enough of it, and glucose and oxygen to keep recharging it, cells will have all the energy they need. It's just one aspect of the chemistry that needs to be restored for "dead" cells to live again.

Death is a process, not an event. As the process progresses, the chemical and structural changes that must be reversed to restore normal function get more and more complex. I don't mean to trivialize the technological difficulty of reviving people whose heart has been stopped at warm temperatures for more than a few minutes. It's a very, very complex problem. However there is nothing QUALITATIVELY different between resuscitating someone who has been clinically dead for five minutes or five hours. It's a matter of the technological difficulty of putting things right again on a molecular scale.

Vitalism is to biology as the luminiferous aether is to physics. It's disproven long ago, but culture has yet not caught up.

Can you point me to where Vitalism has been disproven by the Scientific World? Published, peer reviewed Journal and Article references will be necessary.

It's a paradigm shift, and like many paradigm shifts in science, I don't believe there is any single paper that disproves Vitalism. However, given your prior conceptions, don't you find recovery of frozen "stone cold dead" human embryos after simple rewarming and cryoprotectant removal persuasive that chemistry alone determines biological function? There are certainly plenty of papers about that.

There is a discussion of the present philosophical status of Vitalism here

http://en.wikipedia....itical_opinions

Note the observation that to some people Vitalism might be unfalsifiable, meaning that no matter how obsolete the theory has become for understanding anything in biology, there are still some people who believe in it, and no experiment will persuade them otherwise. This goes to a core principle of science, which is that for a theory to be valid, it must explain something. Vitalism fails that test.
  • like x 1

#59 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:41 PM

Vitalism is the modern-day version of what the flat-Earth concept was in Columbus's time. When Columbus made his first voyage, he had to hide his true charts from the crew and used a fake chart that showed them much closer to Spain than they really were. Many of his crew were afraid they would "sail off the edge" of the Earth. Educated people at the time understood full-well that the Earth was a sphere. However, it was still common folklore among peasants that the Earth was flat and that it was possible to "sail off the edge" of the Earth. Since Columbus's crew were mostly peasants, he had to hide their true progress until they actually reached landfall in the Caribbean.

In a similar vein, the idea that biology and humans, in particular, require some sort of "life force" to function is a modern-day folklore. This concept, called Vitalism, was scientifically discredited over a century ago. But the concept persists as a folklore among the less scientifically literate in today's society.

Edited by kurt9, 08 November 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#60 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

In my lab we've taken human hearts removed from deceased donors and stored on ice for 18 hours, connected the hearts to a machine that supplies warm oxygenated human blood, and the hearts start beating again spontaneously when they become warm enough. That's how life works.

This experiment alone clearly discredits any concept of vitalism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users