• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In    
  • Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Conference Decision Today


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Conference Decision Today (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you want to do?

  1. Cancel (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Don't cancel, use calibans scheme below, I'll join the effort (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  3. Don't cancel, use calibans scheme below, I cannot join the effort (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  4. Don't cancel, other plan below: (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. Abstain (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 caliban

  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:57 PM


Alright, people had time to produce more data and reflect.

The basic options are A) to cancel or B) to go ahead.

We don't need to consider arguments about how bad it would be to cancel.
We can agree that it would be bad.
If you don't want to cancel, we need to agree on how a deficit will be paid for, by whom up to what amount.

Edited by caliban, 24 September 2010 - 09:36 PM.
added poll


#2 caliban

  • Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

Since no new figures are know, I recap the data we were discussing:
All conversions used todays rate and rounded off.

Venue: -$6340
Travel, expected: -$8000
Hotels: -$2300
= 18.640

ImmInst: $4000
Delegates (30x50E):$2020
= $6020

Deficit: $10.620
-----

If we get another 20 delegates a 70E pp. = $1890 - would leave a deficit of $8730
If we get another 50 delegates a 70E pp. = $4720 - would leave a deficit of $5900

In the case that we go for the smaller room AND fill it to capacity the deficit would be: $6700

---
I will not approve ImmInst covering any extra amount, or to make any coverage guarantees.

With the treasurers approval, I would consider a matching fundraiser using up to $3000 of further ImmInst funding, but only if we have a plan to cover the shortfall if the fundraiser doesn't succeed, AND only if there is a team ready to fight for this conference from today until then -- I won't have time to join that team.

Otherwise, I suggest we need to cancel.

Edited by caliban, 24 September 2010 - 10:03 PM.
smaller room


#3 s123

  • Director
  • 1,344 posts
  • 1,047
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

See my suggestion to change rooms and save €650 a day.

sponsored ad

  • Advert

#4 caliban

  • Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Its a very interesting suggestion imo, although I understand that bp would be unhappy about it.
But it doesn't change the economics enough - we still need to make this decision.

#5 s123

  • Director
  • 1,344 posts
  • 1,047
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

20 seats sold --> €1040 ($1401)

€650 x 2 = €1300 ($1751) (saved if we choose the smaller room)

Total: €2340 ($3152) from the deficit.

#6 caliban

  • Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

See above for a slightly different number.

Also, I assumed, maybe wrongly, that Directors had seen this:
http://www.imminst.o...rence-finances/

#7 DukeNukem

  • Guest
  • 2,008 posts
  • 141
  • Location:Dallas, Texas

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

How many people have already signed up?

#8 Shepard

  • Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts
  • 932
  • Location:Auburn, AL

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

With the treasurers approval, I would consider a matching fundraiser using up to $3000 of further ImmInst funding, but only if we have a plan to cover the shortfall if the fundraiser doesn't succeed, AND only if there is a team ready to fight for this conference from today until then -- I won't have time to join that team.


I am prepared to grant approval for the fundraiser if these requirements are met.

I've been away from the computer all day and only following the other thread, but hopefully the venue will grant us a bit of a cushion on paying the bill.

Edited by Shepard, 25 September 2010 - 12:07 AM.


#9 s123

  • Director
  • 1,344 posts
  • 1,047
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

How many people have already signed up?


31, we will try to aim for 20 more (than the room will be complexly full)

#10 Shannon Vyff

  • Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,894 posts
  • 697
  • Location:Boston, MA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:03 AM

I think there is benefit to the movement long term for the speakers to have the opportunity to socialize. Also Adam will be able to add the speakers' presentations to our Ustream channel. The attendees will be able to interact with the speakers more than the usual conference :-). Conferences in general are not great money makers and are lucky to cover costs, many organizations see them as a networking tool and even a way to give back to their organization. Thefirstimmortal paid five thousand out of his pocket to cover extra costs for an ImmInst conference. At this point if David is ok paying half of the extra costs after the sponsor covers the other half, then I think we should cover $2500, half or nearly half depending on how the
costs work out- of what will be coming out of David's
pocket. So I'm fine with Caliban's proposal to cover up to $3000 out of David's extra expense.

#11 caliban

  • Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Ok, no cancellation based on

1) potential shortfall covered by David privately (based on linked statement)
2) at least three people will join the effort of trying to bring this financially back on track (based on votes)

Finance issues can be discussed in the other thread.

#12 caliban

  • Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,137 posts
  • 571
  • Location:UK

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

Automatic generated messageThis topic has been closed by a moderator.Reason: decision madeIf you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users