• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 10 votes

God Is Theoretically Possible

• Please log in to reply
774 replies to this topic

#61 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:44 AM

Maybe there is not a god in the sense that most religious people think there is, but there could be some kind of god out there. I don't know how anyone could deny the possibility of a higher power's existence given that we have only scratched to surface of what there is to know about physics and the universe.

#62 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Maybe there is not a god in the sense that most religious people think there is, but there could be some kind of god out there. I don't know how anyone could deny the possibility of a higher power's existence given that we have only scratched to surface of what there is to know about physics and the universe.

God of the Gaps?

:)

#63 Mishael

• 139 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

SH, unbelief is sin. Read your bible. Moreover I feel that talking about the existence of God is but a horrendous distraction unless talking to an honest soul and even then atheist will always be creating more and more arguments and distracting you from the actual realities of the time and destroying your faith. Jesus our example did not operate in this manner. The bible plainly states the unbeliever as a fool. The bible is about moral reformation and revival. The dishonest atheist will have none of it. It is a waste of time to argue with such peole. People need to understand the times we are living in soon our liberties will be taken from us, read Revelation 13. Prophetic utterances more practical to our welfare are passing before our eyes unheeded. Take a look at our world we are headed for disaster, beware of those who cry peace and safety.

Edited by Mishael, 26 July 2011 - 09:33 AM.

• like x 2

#64 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

SH, unbelief is sin. Read your bible. Moreover I feel that talking about the existence of God is but a horrendous distraction unless talking to an honest soul and even then atheist will always be creating more and more arguments and distracting you from the actual realities of the time and destroying your faith. Jesus our example did not operate in this manner. The bible plainly states the unbeliever as a fool. The bible is about moral reformation and revival. The dishonest atheist will have none of it. It is a waste of time to argue with such peole. People need to understand the times we are living in soon our liberties will be taken from us, read Revelation 13. Prophetic utterances more practical to our welfare are passing before our eyes unheeded. Take a look at our world we are headed for disaster, beware of those who cry peace and safety.

Christians can't even decide among themselves how to interpret the bible and there is a vast difference between the various religious sects ....so vast in many cases, that if one brand of christianity is correct, the other 90% of the christians are going to go to hell (if you follow the bible literally).

Rationality should be your religion and the sanctity of life should be your God. Too many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion (any) and people's minds have been chained for far too long by the false hopes and delusions offered up by religion.

Open your eyes... Jesus was a man, not a god. The bible was written by man, not a god. Look to your fellow man for salvation rather than finding it in burnt pieces of toast, stained credit card receipts, and water stains on the walls.
  • dislike x 1

#65 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:30 AM

I'm embarrassed that it took me 28 years to realize the futility of this debate, because both sides are far too entrenched, and more importantly, its doubtful that either position will have universal appeal. So let me make a proposal, why don't we cease our fixation on the divisive notion of there being a higher power, and focus more on the shared values that are more likely to resonate universally? An agreement on the parameters, protections, and criteria for belief should serve as the foundation of harmony, even though I expect only a small number to embrace this cause initially.

Edited by Rol82, 27 July 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#66 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:26 AM

Christians can't even decide among themselves how to interpret the bible and there is a vast difference between the various religious sects ....so vast in many cases, that if one brand of christianity is correct, the other 90% of the christians are going to go to hell (if you follow the bible literally).

Rationality should be your religion and the sanctity of life should be your God. Too many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion (any) and people's minds have been chained for far too long by the false hopes and delusions offered up by religion.

Open your eyes... Jesus was a man, not a god. The bible was written by man, not a god. Look to your fellow man for salvation rather than finding it in burnt pieces of toast, stained credit card receipts, and water stains on the walls.

Christianity is vast, far larger than any country in the world. Shouldn’t be surprised there are differences. Most of the differences are a result of the culture and country Christians live in. The ethnic roots of churches in countries of immigrants such as the US is glaringly obvious. Historical events like the civil war doubled the number of churches everywhere in the world. I can suggest a number of excellent histories of Christianity if anyone is interested. Christians can and do agree on most things. Most Christians do not think other Christians are going to hell. This is nonsense.

As for the rest of this post, it’s not worth answering. It is a perfect example of what it accuses others of.

#67 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

Mishael, I have a good friend that says using the word Jesus is misguided and wrong. Evidently this name was developed by Greek/Romans and the "sus" part may have meant sun. Which means that Jesue is a pagan name, and not the name that Christians should be using. He says the right name is "Yahushua", the original hebrew name for God who came to us in human form. The name for god is "Ayahua". He also said that most Christians today are reading the wrong bible. He, and evidently many others, believe the typical Christian faith is lost, and I believe your group is included. What do you think about this? I did a little research and it appears he might be on to something.

Ya know, isn't it odd that saying Jesus Christ as a curse word rolls off the tongue and feels right, sort of like how the word "fuck" does? Actually, "Jesus Fucking Christ" seems to go together all too well. But when you say "Ayaushua" or "Ayahua", it feels more peaceful, more celebratory-there are no "c" or "k" sounds, which to me feel more appropriate for expressing anger and disgust.

Edited by MorganM, 27 July 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#68 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:42 AM

I'm embarrassed that it took me 28 years to realize the futility of this debate, because both sides are far too entrenched, and more importantly, its doubtful that either position will have universal appeal. So let me make a proposal, why don't we cease our fixation on the divisive notion of there being a higher power, and focus more on the shared values that are more likely to resonate universally? An agreement on the parameters, protections, and criteria for belief should serve as the foundation of harmony, even though I expect only a small number to embrace this cause initially.

I agree Rol, it is a pretty futile debate.

#69 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:52 AM

There is much in your post I disagree with. That’s aright, I wish you the best. May I suggest a couple of good Christian sources where these issues can be explored further.

http://apologetics315.blogspot.com/

http://www.reasonabl...site/PageServer

#70 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

Mishael, I have a good friend that says using the word Jesus is misguided and wrong. Evidently this name was developed by Greek/Romans and the "sus" part may have meant sun. Which means that Jesue is a pagan name, and not the name that Christians should be using. He says the right name is "Yahushua", the original hebrew name for God who came to us in human form. The name for god is "Ayahua". He also said that most Christians today are reading the wrong bible. He, and evidently many others, believe the typical Christian faith is lost, and I believe your group is included. What do you think about this? I did a little research and it appears he might be on to something.

Ya know, isn't it odd that saying Jesus Christ as a curse word rolls off the tongue and feels right, sort of like how the word "fuck" does? Actually, "Jesus Fucking Christ" seems to go together all too well. But when you say "Ayaushua" or "Ayahua", it feels more peaceful, more celebratory-there are no "c" or "k" sounds, which to me feel more appropriate for expressing anger and disgust.

Sounds like Jehovah Witness??? Kind of bigoted also.

#71 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Not bigoted at all. Why would you say this? Also, not jehovah witness, they've got it wrong too, as far as he and others are concerned. Maybe if you do some research you will better understand where they are coming from. I did, and it makes perfect sense to me. You guys are using the name given by roman pagans to worship your savior, a name that stands for "god of the sun" not the son of god. I can put you in touch with the guy if you want. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to whomever.

Edited by MorganM, 27 July 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#72 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm embarrassed that it took me 28 years to realize the futility of this debate, because both sides are far too entrenched, and more importantly, its doubtful that either position will have universal appeal.

You are absolutely right. I tend to stay away from debating religion at all because it is as futile as a political debate between the far right and left.

When I do tend to get involved is when faith/religion gets thrown in your face in topics such as this one.

#73 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Most Christians do not think other Christians are going to hell. This is nonsense.

As for the rest of this post, it’s not worth answering. It is a perfect example of what it accuses others of.

First, I never claimed that 'most' christians think other christians are going to hell. What I said is that by the very tenants of thier faith, others would go to hell for being wrong. If the Catholic's are right ...all of you protestants are pretty much screwed.

Secondly, I find the last part of what you posted slightly odd. My hypocrisy was on point and done with intent. If there is a point, is it not ok to have a counter point? Or is it not ok to have a counter point if it is one that challenges your faith or lack thereof?

#74 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Not bigoted at all. Why would you say this? Also, not jehovah witness, they've got it wrong too, as far as he and others are concerned. Maybe if you do some research you will better understand where they are coming from. I did, and it makes perfect sense to me. You guys are using the name given by roman pagans to worship your savior, a name that stands for "god of the sun" not the son of god. I can put you in touch with the guy if you want. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to whomever.

There are many names of god in the Bible. Which one are you talking about? Show me lexical support for what you are talking about.

ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.
ADONAI......Malachi 1:6
meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.
JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4
a reference to God's divine salvation.
JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13
meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"
JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1
meaning "The Lord my shepherd"
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35
meaning "The Lord who is present"
JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
meaning "The Lord our healer"
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6
meaning "The Lord our righteousness"
JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
meaning "The Lord will provide"
JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15
meaning "The Lord our banner"
JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
meaning "The Lord is peace"
JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3
meaning "The Lord of Hosts"
JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6
meaning "The God of Recompense"
EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning "The most high God
EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13
meaning "The strong one who sees"
EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"
EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31
meaning "The everlasting God"

MORE NAMES OF GOD

ABBA.............................Romans 8:15
ADVOCATE.........................I John 2:1 (kjv)
ALMIGHTY.........................Genesis 17:1
ALPHA............................Revelation 22:13
AMEN.............................Revelation 3:14
ANCIENT OF DAYS..................Daniel 7:9
ANOINTED ONE.....................Psalm 2:2
APOSTLE..........................Hebrews 3:1
ARM OF THE LORD..................Isaiah 53:1
AUTHOR OF LIFE...................Acts 3:15
AUTHOR OF OUR FAITH..............Hebrews 12:2

BEGINNING.........................Revelation 21:6
BLESSED & HOLY RULER..............1 Timothy 6:15
BRANCH............................Jeremiah 33:15
BREAD OF GOD......................John 6:33
BREAD OF LIFE.....................John 6:35
BRIDEGROOM........................Isaiah 62:56
BRIGHT MORNING STAR...............Revelation 22:16

CHIEF SHEPHERD.....................1 Peter 5:4
CHOSEN ONE.........................Isaiah 42:1
CHRIST.............................Matthew 22:42
CHRIST OF GOD......................Luke 9:20
CHRIST THE LORD....................Luke 2:11
CHRIST, SON OF LIVING GOD..........Matthew 16:16
COMFORTER..........................John 14:26(kjv)
COMMANDER..........................Isaiah 55:4
CONSOLATION OF ISRAEL...............Luke 2:25
CONSUMING FIRE......................Deut. 4:24, Heb. 12:29
CORNERSTONE.........................Isaiah 28:16
COUNSELOR...........................Isaiah 9:6
CREATOR.............................1 Peter 4:19

DELIVERER..............................Romans 11:26
DESIRED OF ALL NATIONS.................Haggai 2:7
DOOR...................................John 10:7(kjv)

END....................................Revelation 21:6
ETERNAL GOD............................Deut. 33:27
EVERLASTING FATHER.....................Isaiah 9:6

FAITHFUL & TRUE........................Revelation 19:11
FAITHFUL WITNESS.......................Revelation 1:5
FATHER.................................Matthew 6:9
FIRSTBORN (3)........................................Rom.8:29,Rev.1:5,Col.1:15
FIRSTFRUITS............................1 Cor.15:20-23
FOUNDATION.............................1 Cor. 3:11
FRIEND OF TAX COLLECTORS & SINNERS.....Matthew 11:19

GENTLE WHISPER.........................1 Kings 19:12
GIFT OF GOD............................John 4:10
GLORY OF THE LORD......................Isaiah 40:5
GOD....................................Genesis 1:1
GOD ALMIGHTY...........................Genesis 17:1
GOD OVER ALL...........................Romans 9:5
GOD WHO SEES ME........................Genesis 16:13
GOOD SHEPHERD..........................John 10:11
GREAT HIGH PRIEST......................Hebrews 4:14
GREAT SHEPHERD.........................Hebrews 13:20
GUIDE..................................Psalm 48:14

HEAD OF THE BODY.......................Colossians 1:18
HEAD OF THE CHURCH.....................Ephesians 5:23
HEIR OF ALL THINGS.....................Hebrews 1:2
HIGH PRIEST............................Hebrews 3:1
HIGH PRIEST FOREVER....................Hebrews 6:20
HOLY ONE...............................Acts 2:27
HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL.....................Isaiah 49:7
HOLY SPIRIT............................John 15:26
HOPE...................................Titus 2:13
HORN OF SALVATION......................Luke 1:69

I AM....................................Exodus 3:14, John 8:58
IMAGE OF GOD............................2 Cor. 4:4
IMAGE OF HIS PERSON.....................Hebrews 1:3 (kjv)
IMMANUEL................................Isaiah 7:14

JEALOUS..............................Exodus 34:14 (kjv)
JEHOVAH..............................Psalm 83:18 (kjv)
JESUS................................Matthew 1:21
JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD................Romans 6:23
JUDGE................................Isaiah 33:22, Acts 10:42

KING.................................Zechariah 9:9
KING ETERNAL.........................1 Timothy 1:17
KING OF KINGS........................1 Timothy 6:15
KING OF THE AGES.....................Revelation 15:3

LAMB OF GOD...........................John 1:29
LAST ADAM.............................1 Cor. 15:45
LAWGIVER..............................Isaiah 33:22
LEADER................................Isaiah 55:4
LIFE..................................John 14:6
LIGHT OF THE WORLD....................John 8:12
LIKE AN EAGLE.........................Deut. 32:11
LILY OF THE VALLEYS...................Song 2:1
LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH............Revelation 5:5
LIVING STONE..........................1 Peter 2:4
LIVING WATER..........................John 4:10
LORD..................................John 13:13
LORD GOD ALMIGHTY.....................Revelation 15:3
LORD JESUS CHRIST.....................1 Cor. 15:57
LORD OF ALL...........................Acts 10:36
LORD OF GLORY ........................1 Cor. 2:8
LORD OF HOSTS.........................Haggai 1:5
LORD OF LORDS.........................1 Tim. 6:15
LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS..............Jeremiah 23:6
LOVE.................................1 John 4:8

MAN OF SORROWS.........................Isaiah 53:3
MASTER..................................Luke 5:5
MEDIATOR................................1 Timothy 2:5
MERCIFUL GOD............................Jeremiah 3:12
MESSENGER OF THE COVENANT................Malachi 3:1
MESSIAH................................. John 4:25
MIGHTY GOD...............................Isaiah 9:6
MIGHTY ONE...............................Isaiah 60:16

NAZARENE.................................Matthew 2:23

OFFSPRING OF DAVID.......................Revelation 22:16
OMEGA....................................Revelation 22:13
ONLY BEGOTTEN SON........................John 1:18(kjv)
OUR PASSOVER LAMB........................1 Cor. 5:7
OUR PEACE................................Ephesians 2:14

POTTER...................................Isaiah 64:8
POWER OF GOD.............................1 Cor. 1:24
PRINCE OF PEACE..........................Isaiah 9:6
PROPHET..................................Acts 3:22
PURIFIER.................................Malachi 3:3

RABBONI (TEACHER)........................John 20:16
RADIANCE OF GOD'S GLORY..................Heb.1:3
REDEEMER.................................Job 19:25
REFINER'S FIRE...........................Malachi 3:2
RESURRECTION.............................John 11:25
RIGHTEOUS ONE............................1 John 2:1
ROCK.....................................1 Cor.10:4
ROOT OF DAVID............................Rev. 22:16
ROSE OF SHARON...........................Song 2:1
RULER OF GOD'S CREATION..................Rev. 3:14
RULER OVER KINGS OF EARTH................Rev 1:5
RULER OVER ISRAEL........................Micah 5:2

SAVIOR...................................Luke 2:11
SCEPTER OUT OF ISRAEL....................Numbers 24:17
SEED.....................................Genesis 3:15
SERVANT..................................Isaiah 42:1
SHEPHERD OF OUR SOULS....................1Peter 2:25
SHIELD...................................Genesis 15:1
SON OF DAVID.............................Matthew 1:1
SON OF GOD...............................Matthew 27:54
SON OF MAN...............................Matthew 8:20
SON OF THE MOST HIGH.....................Luke 1:32
SOURCE...................................Hebrews 5:9
SPIRIT OF GOD............................Genesis 1:2
STAR OUT OF JACOB........................Numbers 24:17
STONE....................................1 Peter 2:8
SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.....................Malachi 4:2

TEACHER...................................John 13:13
TRUE LIGHT................................John 1:9
TRUE WITNESS..............................Revelation 3:14
TRUTH.....................................John 14:6

VINE......................................John 15:5

WAY........................................John 14:6
WISDOM OF GOD..............................1 Cor. 1:24
WITNESS....................................Isaiah 55:4
WONDERFUL..................................Isaiah 9:6
WORD.......................................John 1:1
WORD OF GOD................................Revelation 19:13
  • like x 1

#75 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Most Christians do not think other Christians are going to hell. This is nonsense.

As for the rest of this post, it's not worth answering. It is a perfect example of what it accuses others of.

First, I never claimed that 'most' christians think other christians are going to hell. What I said is that by the very tenants of thier faith, others would go to hell for being wrong. If the Catholic's are right ...all of you protestants are pretty much screwed.

Secondly, I find the last part of what you posted slightly odd. My hypocrisy was on point and done with intent. If there is a point, is it not ok to have a counter point? Or is it not ok to have a counter point if it is one that challenges your faith or lack thereof?

Everyone is wrong and has limited knowledge. you are drawing a wrong conclusion from your limited knowledge. Point twp is confusing so I wont comment on it..

#76 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Shadowhawk, it would be better if you got in touch with my friend, he could give you all the evidence for why Jesus Christ is a pagan name and should not be used. He can discuss with you why Ayahua should be used for God, and Ayahushua should be used for Jesus. He can also explain why it is believed that most Christian faiths are lost. I can ask him if he would be willing to communicate with you via email.

#77 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Shadowhawk, it would be better if you got in touch with my friend, he could give you all the evidence for why Jesus Christ is a pagan name and should not be used. He can discuss with you why Ayahua should be used for God, and Ayahushua should be used for Jesus. He can also explain why it is believed that most Christian faiths are lost. I can ask him if he would be willing to communicate with you via email.

I would be happy to do so. Thanks. My email is on my profile.

#78 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

I just sent him a few texts. I'll let you know what he says.

#79 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

For some reason, I can't send you a PM or get access to your email. Want to just tell me it here? Also, he's going to want to know your name. I spoke to him, he'd be happy to talk to you.

#80 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Was your buddy using DMT or Ayahuasca when he came to these conclusions?

#81 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Was your buddy using DMT or Ayahuasca when he came to these conclusions?

Ha ha, yeah I thought about Ayahuasca, only because it sounded similar to the name I was thinking of. Actually the spelling is Yahushua for JC, and Yahuwah for God. Still, these names are similar to Ayahuasca.

#82 NeuroGuy

• 121 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

This debate is not futile, and your arguments for why it is are weak.

"because both sides are far too entrenched"

To hold any belief at all is to be committed to it in some degree. Regardless of the degree, the level of commitment to a belief has no bearing on the validity of a belief. Some people believe we should still have slaves; others do not. Do we simply stop debating the issue, simply because both sites are entrenched in their beliefs?

"its doubtful that either position will have universal appeal"
Appeal has nothing to do with truth. This isn't a debate about what will be popular, or even what will make people happy. It is reasoning what likely is or what likely isn't.

Shadowhawk, I sympathize with you. You put your points forward and attempted to reason the validity of your claims. You were objective and even friendly. Almost (not all) everyone else simply left nasty remarks. This forum is all about putting in serious thought and research...People, please don't be intellectually lazy here. It benefits no one, and critically thinking might. Even if you don't come to an answer, to be cordial with one another is a step in the right direction. It is POSSIBLE that no answer may be found by reason alone; that does not mean we should stop reasoning on the existence of God.
  • like x 1

#83 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Too lazy to exposit Aristotilian logic on here, but this book is great on that and supernatural nonsense: http://www.amazon.co...f/dp/087975124X

That's an excellent read. If I may recommend a good book myself, The Nonexistence of God by Nicholas Everitt deals with all the logical inconsistencies inherent in the Judeo-Chriso-Islamic theologians' concept of God in detail.

Of interest to this discussion is the upcomeing debates in England October 2011, by William Lane Craig. We will see who is afraid of logic. Dont miss them.

#84 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

Here is a trailer to the upcoming debates.

#85 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

To hold any belief at all is to be committed to it in some degree. Regardless of the degree, the level of commitment to a belief has no bearing on the validity of a belief. Some people believe we should still have slaves; others do not. Do we simply stop debating the issue, simply because both sites are entrenched in their beliefs?

Appeal has nothing to do with truth. This isn't a debate about what will be popular, or even what will make people happy. It is reasoning what likely is or what likely isn't.

Shadowhawk, I sympathize with you. You put your points forward and attempted to reason the validity of your claims. You were objective and even friendly. Almost (not all) everyone else simply left nasty remarks. This forum is all about putting in serious thought and research...People, please don't be intellectually lazy here. It benefits no one, and critically thinking might. Even if you don't come to an answer, to be cordial with one another is a step in the right direction. It is POSSIBLE that no answer may be found by reason alone; that does not mean we should stop reasoning on the existence of God.

Good post Neuroguy. God is most definitely (at the very least) theoretically possible. God's existence is highly probable and in my view (and i believe the majesty and awe of the universe [superverse] point to God's likely existence as well), God is more likely to exist than to not exist. Nothing good can from militantly-atheistic philosophy (then again nothing good is likely to come from militantly-religious ideology either). I don't think science, regardless of how advanced, will ever be able to prove the existence of God entirely. There is an element to the God equation that must be experienced personally, that is existential and transcendent at the same time. It is my opinion that science will never be able to fully capture and qualify this truth. Some call it faith, i call it transcendent reason because it is not entirely 'blind' faith, but faith arrived at through reason, wisdom, and personalized interpretation of transcendent-existential experience. I suspect that those who take the hardcore-atheist route may actually be doing themselves a disservice by closing their own mind off to the possibility of such an experience, and/or if they do have it they may negatively internalize or over-intellectualize the experience. In the end, i think it is better to believe in God than not to believe, and there is certainly far more reason to believe God exists than to not believe.
  • like x 1

#86 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

For those interested in the upcoming debates here is the schedule for Craig.

OCTOBER UK TOUR ITINERARY
[Updated: 28th September 2011]
Sunday 16th Possible early morning radio interview for BBC's Sunday
Programme.
Possible TV interview later that morning. Day in London.
Monday 17th Possible radio interview for BBC’s Today Programme early am.
Probable Press Conference in Westminster late morning.
Westminster Central Hall, 7.30 pm: Debate with Stephen Law on “Does God Exist?”
Tuesday 18th Imperial College, 12.30 pm: web-streamed one hour lecture on “The Evidence for God.”
School of Oriental and African Studies, 6pm: one hour lecture on “A Moral Argument for the Existence of God.”
Wednes. 19th Travel by train to Cambridge. St. Andrew the Great Church,
7.30pm: Lecture: “The Origin of the Universe - Has Hawking eliminated God?”
Thursday 20th Free morning in Cambridge.
Cambridge Union Debate, 7.30pm. Motion is: “This House believes that God is not a Delusion.” With Peter S. Williams against Arif Ahmed and Andrew Copson.
Friday 21st Travel by car to Birmingham.
Great Hall of Birmingham University, 7.30pm: Debate on “Does God Exist?” with Prof. Peter Millican.
Saturday 22nd Early start around 6am, stopping for breakfast en route. Travel by car to London, arriving at Westminster Chapel for the first Bethinking National Day Conference. First lecture at 10am on “Deconstructing New Atheist Objections to the Arguments for God.” Second lecture at 4.00pm entitled “The Apologetic Task.”
About 8.30pm leave by car for Southampton. Arrive 10pm.
Sunday 23rd Possible early morning radio interviews at local BBC studio.
Day free.
Monday 24th Southampton Guildhall, 7.30pm: Lecture on “The Historicity of Jesus' Resurrection.” Tuesday 25th Travel by car to Oxford for early lunch.
OCCA, 12noon Graduate seminar on apologetics.
Sheldonian Theatre, 7.30pm: Lecture - or debate! - on “Is God a Delusion?”
Wednes. 26th Fly from Southampton Airport to Manchester in morning.
University of Manchester, 7.30pm: Debate with Peter Atkins on “Does God Exist?”

Although further changes of this itinerary are unlikely, you can check for updates at www.bethinking.org/craig.

#87 NeuroGuy

• 121 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Good post Neuroguy. God is most definitely (at the very least) theoretically possible. God's existence is highly probable and in my view (and i believe the majesty and awe of the universe [superverse] point to God's likely existence as well), God is more likely to exist than to not exist. Nothing good can from militantly-atheistic philosophy (then again nothing good is likely to come from militantly-religious ideology either). I don't think science, regardless of how advanced, will ever be able to prove the existence of God entirely. There is an element to the God equation that must be experienced personally, that is existential and transcendent at the same time. It is my opinion that science will never be able to fully capture and qualify this truth. Some call it faith, i call it transcendent reason because it is not entirely 'blind' faith, but faith arrived at through reason, wisdom, and personalized interpretation of transcendent-existential experience. I suspect that those who take the hardcore-atheist route may actually be doing themselves a disservice by closing their own mind off to the possibility of such an experience, and/or if they do have it they may negatively internalize or over-intellectualize the experience. In the end, i think it is better to believe in God than not to believe, and there is certainly far more reason to believe God exists than to not believe.

I agree about God being more likely to exist then to not exist. One of the arguments in the Christian apologetic I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist is that, contrary to the notion that Atheism is the default mode of thinking and Theism a radical offshoot, to hold an atheistic belief requires a level of faith that possibly exceeds that required for a theistic one.

Empirically speaking, it seems that to believe that there is no God is more radical then to believe in God. I think most secular scientists would agree that the universe seems to have an origin at some point in time. This is to say that the universe arose out of something. An issue arises then in explaining what created that something, since it too would have to been created by something, and so on and so forth, and this pattern would fall into infinite regress. The only way to not fall into this endless loop would be to claim that the something that manifested the universe had the characteristic of being everlasting, meaning it has no beginning (nor end, by definition). It would be self-existent. This would agree with the laws of physics, since something cannot be created out of nothing; this everlasting somethingwould not have been created. It would be totally dependent on itself for its own existence. That seems to be the only logical way that anything could seem to exist, at least to my humble mind...

Before I say that an everlasting something implies God, the Atheist could reasonably provide the counter-example that the everlasting something could just as well be inanimate and non-personal. I don't currently have an argument to oppose such a counter-example. However, I do find it interesting that the Biblical account of God provides for this logical loophole that allows for existence itself to exist: "The LORD is the everlasting God" (Isaiah 40:28, italics added).

The kind of philosophical thought necessary to come to that conclusion was just not that popular some 2700 years ago when that was written.1

1. http://www.friesian.com/greek.htm

Edited by NeuroGuy, 05 October 2011 - 12:58 PM.

• like x 1

#88 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

No God is theoretically and practically possible. Think about it.

#89 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

How do you know this? Check this out and think about it.

#90 NeuroGuy

• 121 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Would you mind supporting this? I've thought about it but it seems possible, even likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users