* * * * * 2 votes

Which Curcumin supplement

ultracur

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

There seems to be quite a bit of formulations of Curcumin and it got a bit confusing for me after a while. I am trying to figure out which way to take this herb/spice for benefits of the skin, muscle recovery, and overall health. That can mean anything I guess and I didn't recall any ideal amount that one should supplement under. I basically came up with 2 options and would had just went with the regular more basic route (reg turmeric), but wanted to get some input on this before I try and add it to my plan ;o)

I read on here that taking it too much(turmeric) could prevent healing due to the inflammatory phase/s that somethings might go through.

Open to any alternatives or just not taking it in general. I did read of some people dropping it due to certain studies, but at the same time it's listed multiple times in most peoples "top 5 supplements" thread that was posted. Guess that's got to count for something. :wacko:

Was my first choice to take @ around 3g along with a portion of whole black pepper.
Starwest Botanicals Organic Turmeric Powder

Maybe this one is too potent for what I would be taking it for? Maybe once every other day?
Life Extension Super BIO-Curcumin

#2 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:18 AM

We shear the particle size of the super (7x absorption) biocurcumin and and emulsify it in a liquid nitrogen gas capsule... we have it under our own brand name, and it's 250mg not 400mg. Of course I can't link to it, or tell you what company I represent. But google something like biocurcumin 250, you might find ours or others similar that use medium chain triglycerides for increased absorption.

If anyone wants to chime in on our next formulation feel free, we will be doing a cheaper version soon using plain veggie caps with our BioCurcumin formulation (not the liquid sheared particle with MCT) but with an added ingredient for absorption. Specifically to reduce pricing and beat LEF's pants off for this particular product.

Much like one our customers wanted.
Of course it's only one of the many nice things we will be doing this year.

Cheers
A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:59 AM

Love your work. :-D

#4 Deckah

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:46 AM

Thanks. I managed to match the avatar to the brand name.

Ive read about curcumin and MCT's, but didn't dig deep into it. Would the MCTs from that formulation obtain any benefits from taking it along side coconut oil?

#5 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I take Meriva - phytosome curcumin

http://www.iherb.com...Caps/23084?at=0

#6 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

Now Foods is entering the ring with their brand new spankin' Bio-Curcumin Phytosome Meriva product:

http://www.nowfoods.com/4642

Looks like it will be available in November.

Edited by pycnogenol, 29 October 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#7 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

I got recently a great stack of tumeric tr-force of ttva herbs taking a good offer they had

http://www.tattvashe...urcumin,/Detail

however I can´t comment yet on its quality and absorption. I doubt the absorption is like LEF product, something suggested in their site but not proved.

#8 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

I got recently a great stack of tumeric tr-force of ttva herbs taking a good offer they had
however I can´t comment yet on its quality and absorption. I doubt the absorption is like LEF product, something suggested in their site but not proved.

I also get a few goodies from Tattvas. I use their Gymnema Sylvestre CO2 and Mucuna CO2 products. Have not used their Tumeric product.

I'll be ordering the new Now Foods Mervia as soon as its available on iHerb.

Edited by pycnogenol, 30 October 2010 - 11:08 PM.

#9 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

I also get a few goodies from Tattvas. I use their Gymnema Sylvestre CO2 and Mucuna CO2 products. Have not used their Tumeric product.

I'll be ordering the new Now Foods Mervia as soon as its available on iHerb.

unfortunately under normal conditions there is no way to know whether the absorption has been good or no. I opened yesterday a pill of Revgenetics curcumin  and compared with Tattvas. Revgenetics pills are isolated and contains 'wet' curcumin, I don't know what product gives them the humidity. Tattvas are  like if you put the curcumin of your cook in a pill, they even smell.  Revgenetics pilll are very expensive, Tattvas no. No idea what  amount goes to the blood per dollar spent in each brand.

I must add that we have at home a 'cocktail' that trow away all the dinners that contains a mixture of organic curcumin (I get it in a nearby organic supermarket) black pepper, ginger, turmeric, rosemary, and other species depending on what we have the day we prepare it.  Of course, as is usual in Spain, it get mixed with a good amount of extra olive virgin oil. So I guess either from the pills or from the dinner some curcumin must pass at the end of the day to the blood stream. 

#10 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

I read on here that taking it too much(turmeric) could prevent healing due to the inflammatory phase/s that somethings might go through.

The true is oxygen is pretty bad for the amount of free radicals hosting your body. Water gives a lot of stress to your urinary tract, and is very usual it contains traces of plastics, arsenic, and other good stuff for your health. Not even mention it can produce hippus if bad administered.  And so on.... Well,  there is nothing completely good or bad, and curcumin (or better, turmeric), as red wine, is probably on the safest things we know of. It has been used for centuries in traditional dishes for million of people in India. It has hundredths of scientific studies backing its safety and help in inflamation and probably for prevention of Alzheimer. We don't get any better than this in the health industry. Hey, neither  animal models nor complex gene pathways are even necessary to understand is good stuff.

#11 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

Recortes,

To help you...the MCT Biocurcumin is BCM-95 that has shown to absorb up to 7x better than standardized curcumin (yes I believe these are in vivo human studies). Does the new product have studies to compare it to BCM-95? I see that they don't use it in the ingredients... so I would ask about a study to see how it compares.

In addition, the BCM-95 is mixed in medium chain triglycerides for absorption, and ... the particle size has been sheared down (again for absorption).

Something no one does at this time.

Since the BCM-95 comparison claims are interesting, can you provide the studies regarding them? I can't seem to find them on the website.

Oh, and don't fret about price, I think there will be a cheap version in a few months if $10.99 is just too much for the sheared particle product in the patented nitrogen gas protected Licaps that are used with the product.

A

#12 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Recortes,

Since the BCM-95 comparison claims are interesting, can you provide the studies regarding them? I can't seem to find them on the website.

A

yes, that's the worrisome part. I don't find anything either.

As for the price... I buy constant suminister  for 3 people. So that's a concern.

#13 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

I am taking the same one, as I was shooting for ~100mg curcumin. It is a good price for something that, as it looks to me, mimics the effect of the average intake of curry by Indians. I am assuming, without evidence that I know of, that high fat stewing of curry would have similar absorption. If anyone knows this as false, please update me.

Edited by Athanasios, 24 November 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#14 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

I am taking the same one, as I was shooting for ~100mg curcumin. It is a good price for something that, as it looks to me, mimics the effect of the average intake of curry by Indians. I am assuming, without evidence that I know of, that high fat stewing of curry would have similar absorption. If anyone knows this as false, please update me.

I like your intentions but what about when you then eat it with a high fat meal and how do we know the "curcuminoid molecule is individually complexed with molecules of the vital cell membrane nutrient phosphatidylcholine (PC)" is exerting the same effects as natural intake anyway? I'm so split on this issue, thinking about just dumping some good Turmeric in my daily shake and be done with it.

#15 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

how do we know the "curcuminoid molecule is individually complexed with molecules of the vital cell membrane nutrient phosphatidylcholine (PC)" is exerting the same effects as natural intake anyway?

I don't, yet. It is a complete assumption of mine that a lot of these enhanced absorption formulas are more mundane than they seem. Time will tell, or someone more knowledgeable, but the risks taken if this is not the case is rather low.

#16 Deckah

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

Well, can't go wrong with just the natural turmeric or maybe the extract. Since the base studies were originated from it, it has to count for something :laugh:

Edited by Kdvwest, 26 November 2010 - 03:10 AM.

#17 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Actually I thought that most of the relevant research was done on curcumin extract rather than turmeric. The epidemiological evidence for turmeric is quite strong though. I've started taking like 6*5ml of turmeric for the last few days now but I'm thinking about ordering some of Jarrow's curcumin 95 and take 500 mg daily of that instead since I guess that would give me a more standardized dose and perhaps put less of a strain on my kidneys. Seems like good value on paper, any opinions about Jarrow's product?

Edited by aLurker, 26 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.

#18 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

I like Sabinsa’s Curcumin C3 Complex® if you go to their site you will see all the institutions doing research with their product, including Rutgers, Brown, UCLA, Penn State, among others. It also has GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status which is "a comprehensive review of safety and toxicology data by an independent panel of scientists with international repute assembled by Soni & Associates, Inc.." They have tons of studies for you to look at at curcuminoids.

The following companies use Sabinsa's Curcumin C3 Complex® in their products:

* Ageless Cures LLC

* America’s Finest

* Designs For Health

* Doctor’s Best

* Futurebiotics

* Progressive Laboratories, Inc.

* Pure Prescriptions

As we identify more customers who are users of Curcumin C3 Complex®, we will report that here.

Life Extension Foundation, Florida does not use Sabinsa’s Curcumin C3 Complex® in their products.

Edited by valory5, 26 November 2010 - 01:55 PM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#19 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:51 PM

I like Sabinsa’s Curcumin C3 Complex® if you go to their site you will see all the institutions doing research with their product, including Rutgers, Brown, UCLA, Penn State, among others. It also has GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status which is "a comprehensive review of safety and toxicology data by an independent panel of scientists with international repute assembled by Soni & Associates, Inc.." They have tons of studies for you to look at at curcuminoids.

* Ageless Cures LLC

* America’s Finest

* Designs For Health

* Doctor’s Best

* Futurebiotics

* Pure Prescriptions

As we identify more customers who are users of Curcumin C3 Complex®, we will report that here.

Life Extension Foundation, Florida does not use Sabinsa’s Curcumin C3 Complex® in their products.

Thanks a lot for the info. I like their sales pitch so I might go with Doctor's Best Curcumin instead since it doesn't cost that much more than Jarrow's. Doctor's best also seem to contain some kind of BioPerine pepper extract. I'm still not sure that's entirely a good thing. The upside is bioavailabilty but the downside could be side effects or that pepper extract increases the bioavilability of other unwanted stuff. Decisions decisions... argh. I have no idea what the products of the other companies listed are though.

#20 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:52 AM

* Ageless Cures LLC

* America’s Finest

* Designs For Health

* Doctor’s Best

* Futurebiotics

* Pure Prescriptions

Thanks a lot for the info. I like their sales pitch so I might go with Doctor's Best Curcumin instead since it doesn't cost that much more than Jarrow's. Doctor's best also seem to contain some kind of BioPerine pepper extract. I'm still not sure that's entirely a good thing. The upside is bioavailabilty but the downside could be side effects or that pepper extract increases the bioavilability of other unwanted stuff. Decisions decisions... argh. I have no idea what the products of the other companies listed are though.

If you go to Ageless Cures web site they have really good reviews there from real people who have taken up to 8000mgs a day for months and years and the only side effect has been to cure them of cancer and help them with pain due to arthritis, shoulder pain, etc. It has even helped some there with Alzheimers and skin problems. I read something about side effects somewhere but I can't recall what it was about. I am not saying that is not a concern but the human testimony is quite positive.
Ageless Cures I like best out of all. This is the one the doctors use at MD Anderson and I think the best priced one. Pure Prescriptions and Doctors Best come second.

Edited by valory5, 27 November 2010 - 03:05 AM.

#21 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Anyone takes this one? http://www.iherb.com...apsules/13?at=0

#22 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

IMHO:
The Bioperine should have at least 5mg to 10mg per capsule, not 3mg in the product you linked to. (I think it also mentions 5mg on the Bioperine website...)

I would consider BioCurcumin we use a better product, because of the test results in humans.

I hope this helps
A

#23 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Anyone takes this one? http://www.iherb.com...apsules/13?at=0

I take their Meriva product instead but will be switching over to the new Now Foods Meriva when iHerb stocks it in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.nowfoods.com/4642

Bio-Curcumin Phytosome (Turmeric Root Extract (Curcuma longaI)/Phosphatidyl Choline
Complex) (Meriva® Turmeric Phytosome) (Standardized to min. 18% Curcuminoids - 90 mg)

I can't take Bioperine as it affects a prescription medication I take. C'est la vie!

Edited by pycnogenol, 27 November 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#24 Mortuorum

• 91 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

Anyone noticed these products yet? The hype makes them sound as though they may blow everything previously mentioned here out of the proverbial water, including Anthony's........

http://www.vrp.com/b...health/longvida

http://aor.ca/html/products.php?id=230

http://aor.ca/html/products.php?id=229

Edited by Mortuorum, 01 December 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#25 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

Anyone noticed these products yet? The hype makes them sound as though they may blow everything previously mentioned here out of the proverbial water, including Anthony's........

I'm not yet impressed by the Longvida product they use. The extract technology is cool, but there is nothing to suggest that the curcumin they get is any more absorbable or bioavailable than any other curcumin. The other formulations discussed above use MCT oils, or bioperine in an attempt to improve absorption. Multiple myeloma support groups recommend mixing curcumin in heated coconut oil, and adding a little natural turmeric to improve absorption, and cooking with it, or adding it to food, like rice.

One product I would like to see (Anthony?) is tetrahydro-curcumin. This is a colorless hydrogenated curcumin derivative. There were a couple of studies four years ago showing it extending the life span of mice, and it is highly bioavailable, getting into the blood stream quickly in quantity. More pertinent, tetrahydro-curcumin is one of the metabolic products of curcumin. Much of the curcumin you do absorb, gets turned into tetrahydro-curcumin by the liver, and circulates in your blood stream until flushed out by the kidneys. Anthony, are you listening?

It is conceivable that tetrahydro-curcumin does not have the anti-cancer effects that curcumin has. But it did extend survival in mice, who mostly die of cancers, so I'm optimistic. Maybe someone is testing it now. I have located a source, but required order quantity is a bit larger than needed for simple tests. If anyone is interested in testing this stuff, PM me.

Edited by maxwatt, 15 December 2010 - 05:31 AM.

#26 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'm not yet impressed by the Longvida product they use. The extract technology is cool, but there is nothing to suggest that the curcumin they get is any more absorbable or bioavailable than any other curcumin.

Actually solid lipid curcumin particles(Longvida) have quite decent evidence for increased bioavailability at the moment.

In mice.
http://www.imminst.o...post__p__354964

And in humans.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20092313

Safety and pharmacokinetics of a solid lipid curcumin particle formulation in osteosarcoma patients and healthy volunteers.
Gota VS, Maru GB, Soni TG, Gandhi TR, Kochar N, Agarwal MG.

Curcumin is the lipid-soluble antioxidant compound obtained from the rhizome of Curcuma longa Linn, also known as turmeric. Curcumin targets multiple chemotherapeutic and inflammatory pathways and has demonstrated safety and tolerability in humans, supporting its potential as a therapeutic agent; however, the clinical literature lacks conclusive evidence supporting its use as a therapeutic agent due to its low bioavailability in humans. The purpose of this study was to quantify plasma levels of free curcumin after dosing of a solid lipid curcumin particle (SLCP) formulation versus unformulated curcumin in healthy volunteers and to determine its tolerability and dose-plasma concentration relationship in late-stage osteosarcoma patients. Doses of 2, 3, and 4 g of SLCP were evaluated in 11 patients with osteosarcoma. Plasma curcumin levels were measured using a validated high-performance liquid chromatography method. The limit of detection of the assay was 1 ng/mL of curcumin. In healthy subjects, the mean peak concentration of curcumin achieved from dosing 650 mg of SLCP was 22.43 ng/mL, whereas plasma curcumin from dosing an equal quantity of unformulated 95% curcuminoids extract was not detected. In both healthy individuals and osteosarcoma patients, high interindividual variability in pharmacokinetics and nonlinear dose dependency was observed, suggesting potentially complex absorption kinetics. Overall, good tolerability was noted in both healthy and osteosarcoma groups.

#27 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

I'm not yet impressed by the Longvida product they use. The extract technology is cool, but there is nothing to suggest that the curcumin they get is any more absorbable or bioavailable than any other curcumin. The other formulations discussed above use MCT oils, or bioperine in an attempt to improve absorption. Multiple myeloma support groups recommend mixing curcumin in heated coconut oil, and adding a little natural turmeric to improve absorption, and cooking with it, or adding it to food, like rice.

One product I would like to see (Anthony?) is tetrahydro-curcumin. This is a water soluble and colorless hydrogenated curcumin derivative. There were a couple of studies four years ago showing it extending the life span of mice, and it is highly bioavailable, getting into the blood stream quickly in quantity. More pertinent, tetrahydro-curcumin is one of the metabolic products of curcumin. Much of the curcumin you do absorb, gets turned into tetrahydro-curcumin by the liver, and circulates in your blood stream until flushed out by the kidneys. Anthony, are you listening?

It is conceivable that tetrahydro-curcumin does not have the anti-cancer effects that curcumin has. But it did extend survival in mice, who mostly die of cancers, so I'm optimistic. Maybe someone is testing it now. I have located a source, but required order quantity is a bit larger than needed for simple tests. If anyone is interested in testing this stuff, PM me.

Hi Maxwatt,

I am listening. I will see if I can get this in the works as this has become important.
That is why we only use the super biocurcumin in our products with 7x the absorption of regular curcumin and is believed to be one of the best available.

Thanks Max for your insight.

A

#28 JKDC

• 52 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:16 AM

I take the Meriva also but get it at Swanson since it's the cheapest source. It's absorbed 4x more than straight curcumin. Each cap is around 250mg actual Curcumin so it should be 1 gram per capsule. I doubt it is as good as Bio Curcumin but it is less than half the price.

http://www.swansonvi.../ItemDetail?n=0

#29 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hi Maximum... I was asked a question about a new form of curcumin, and I responded because In the past, we have created products based on the findings and the knowledge of folks on this board. We do listen... then we try to bring something helpful to folks here.

We did it with micro-resveratrol, we did it with cycloastragenol, we did it with a multi-vitamin... and we keep on listening to see what may help members here. I am surprised that you registered in April of this year, love this forum, but have not become a member yet.

I am open and honest about things...would you rather I was not? Would you rather instead, hear the story of a person who;s family member is on a particular product, and then pushes the product without telling you she represents the company who sells the product? I think you may like that approach, as it appears you fell for it previously... but I digress and will state that I will decline to push such types of marketing.

You have a good day my friend.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 14 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi Maximum... I was asked a question about a new form of curcumin, and I responded because In the past, we have created products based on the findings and the knowledge of folks on this board. We do listen... then we try to bring something helpful to folks here.

We did it with micro-resveratrol, we did it with cycloastragenol, we did it with a multi-vitamin... and we keep on listening to see what may help members here. I am surprised that you registered in April of this year, love this forum, but have not become a member yet.

I am open and honest about things...would you rather I was not? Would you rather instead, hear the story of a person who;s family member is on a particular product, and then pushes the product without telling you she represents the company who sells the product? I think you may like that approach, as it appears you fell for it previously... but I digress and will state that I will decline to push such types of marketing.

You have a good day my friend.

A

whats ur company called?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ultracur

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users