Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

ImmInst Multi is out

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

#61 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hmm..I'm sorry, but I am far from impressed with the labeling, low-doses of vitamins, and a bunch of minerals that you can get for cheap individually at a grocery store..not everyone should be taking 550mg of Choline daily along with Lithium, it's not designed for everyone..this could potentially cause harmful effects in some people, or at least I would think so.

There is one milligram of lithium. A therapeutic dose is 300 to 1000 times larger. An argument can be made that everyone should be taking a milligram of lithium. A lot of us take 5 mg or more. I don't know about the choline. You might have a point there.

despite freaking out a little bit at first myself upon seeing this a while back in the discussions, I think including a small amount (entirely sub-clinical) level of what is obviously a good and important micronutrient (even if not well understood) is a perfectly good idea.

Edited by RighteousReason, 14 October 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#62 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

Chromium is listed as: Niacinate.

It would be good to break down how much retinol and how of each of the cartenoids there are. Ditto for the tocopherols and tocotrienols. This is an important selling point that the cartenoids and tocopherols are balanced (with ortho core / multibasics it is clear from the labeling).

#63 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

$55 Retail Price - PASS
Nicinamide instead of Inositol Hexanicotinate - PASS
Pyridoxine (really???) instead of Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate - PASS
B12 is very low - PASS
No Vitamin C coenzymes such as Rose Hips, Citrus Bioflavonoids, etc - PASS
No calcium - PASS
Choline taking up .5 to 1 pill a day - PASS

I simply don't understand the exclusion of Calcium. Drop the choline and replace it with Calcium. If they are going to us micro amounts of B vitamins at the very least make sure they are the most absorbable forms and do not use niacinamide and pyridoxine!

I don't mind the 6 pills a day. You HAVE to at least have that many to make sure the multi is balanced.

For ME AOR is still tops currently. Not perfect but more bang for the buck and complete.

I'll pass for now which sucks because I WANTED to buy this!

-Brian

Edited by Bghead8che, 14 October 2010 - 05:39 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#64 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, no, I do not understand the issue with choline. It is a semi-essential micronutrient w/ well-documented benefits included at an RDAish* dose; healthy diets high in vegetables but low in eggs and meat will be deficient. Some raised concerns but they are unwarranted.

*AI not RDA to be exact

CDP-chol. is used over and above a dietary baseline of choline intake, not comparable.

Replacement with calcium is a complete no-go. Any reasonable calcium dose would put at least some ca-replete individuals into dangerous territory; as suggested by recent evidence. Supplemental ca is risky even at highish sub-RDA doses for replete individuals, analogous to folate. Would also be rather bulky.

---
We should keep in mind that the price tag for a months supply is in reality much lower. No one should take a whole dose. ;) And apparently if you join imminst and buy a several-month-supply you save a lot.

Also, remember this is a basics multi replicating dietary intakes and evidence based epidemiology. The B vitamins, incl. b12 seem just about right in that regard. No secondary plant metabolites like citrus bioflavanoids; they are neither basic nor evidence based (semi-)essential micro-nutrients.

What are the benefits of P5P over pyridoxine at dietary doses? AFAIK, w/o looking it up, none.

Please reconsider your verdict.
---

I would concur w/ too many pills, but someone suggested an all-in-one version. However, this would defeat the purpose. 2-4 perhaps.

---

references are available as soon as I can write more than a paragraph w/o pain...

Edited by kismet, 14 October 2010 - 06:58 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#65 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Kismet: I fail to see why well-documented benefits render my concerns (#37) "unwarranted." There are several other items that could be included based on any of those criteria, or all of them. As observed, this isn't a food replacement, and achieving choline requirements for any one diet should not be placed above general tolerability. Choline bitartrate is astonishingly cheap and is one of the most commonly-available supplements in markets and pharmacies; I will be literally unable to use this multivitamin because of the inclusion of choline, and it's been the most prevalent objection in this thread so far. Do the math.

I took 550mg choline bitartrate this morning, to evaluate how well I would tolerate this multi. It's now two hours later, and I'm having a pretty huge problem concentrating, am very spaced-out, and feel emotionally blunted. I wouldn't really say "depressed," but I certainly feel unlike myself in a way I would find unacceptable in any medication or supplement. It produces an odd sensation near the front of my head, in the same place I would experience a headache...I would describe it impressionistically as something like pressure, with a feeling of 'coldness' to it. I just gave up on editing a friend's master's thesis, because my concentration is so bad that I'm unable to do anything but catch glaring punctuation errors.

To expand on the problem with sleep: in addition to insomnia, it's potentially undesirable to take choline in the evening because increased acetylcholine levels have been shown to interfere with declarative memory formation during slow-wave sleep. This generates a problem with the inclusion of lithium and magnesium glycinate; the choice (for the non-trivial number of people affected in these ways) will be between taking these sedating agents in the morning/day, or risking sleep disturbance from choline at night.

When describing nootropics to friends unlikely to do a lot of research, I always say that cholinergics have a chance of these kinds of problems. It seems to me that, far more than the problem with the number of pills, these possibilities are unacceptable in a top-shelf multivitamin. And for those who really want choline, PS/PC/CDP/GPC are all preferable forms for neurological health, and providing what is essentially 100% of the daily dose may preclude the possibility of using these.

#66 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

It's all about money in the end. Being that most people are on a budget due to the recession/ depression whatever that we are in or officially are out of but no one thinks we are out of yet except the government, people want to save money. It looks like this was made to sell to imminst paying members. The public will have little interest except for those who figure high price = high quality. I'm not knocking the quality, btw.

I would just as soon buy the ingredients and take only what I want to take and not what someone else thinks is optimal for me. For example, lithium. Not everyone thinks that is an essential nutrient. If you can buy the ingredients at retail and it's cheaper than this plus you get more of many things, why buy this? Convenience, I suppose. Convenience is worth something and only taking 5 pills a day instead of a handful is nice. Saving money is nice too as is custom tailoring your own stack.

Just for example, I take lots of magnesium, a lot more than in this. I get mine on super sale and buy a years supply. It cost me about 2 cents for a tab with 225 mg of elemental mg in it. I cap up a lot of my stuff to save more. I take ashwaganda, bacopa and other herbs which I don't believe are found in this. As alurker said, you can buy a basic multi for next to nothing and add what you feel you need.

But good luck with the venture, it looks like a good quality product and I hope you sell a carload.

#67 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Bioscience, Health & Nutrition -> Supplements" to "Action -> Projects & Teams -> Community Supplement Design".

#68 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

<strong>Automatic message</strong>

This topic has been moved from "<a href='http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/291-bioscience-health-nutrition/'>Bioscience, Health & Nutrition</a> -> <a href='http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/6-supplements/'>Supplements</a>" to "<a href='http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/346-action/'>Action</a> -> <a href='http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/295-projects-teams/'>Projects & Teams</a> -> <a href='http://www.imminst.org/forum/forum/365-community-supplement-design/'>Community Supplement Design</a>".

Well now nobody will see it...

#69 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hi guys,

I am seeing the discussion and need to let folks know that the product capsules were intended to be taken throughout the day, and not in at one time. This product was not aimed for the 'one-a-day' crowd, but for folks that take their vitamins at different times of the day and recognize that certain forms of vitamins are better than others.

Yes nameless: whenever possible we used albion from glycinate minerals. My formulator actually asked me that in May as the initial Albion ingredient she sourced did not specifically state it, and she asked me if it really mattered, and I responded that it was a requirement, and to search for one that specifically states from glycinate.

I am currently reviewing things with the formulator, and have found a discrepancy in the label (thanks for the heads up niner that prompted the internal review). By end of day Friday we will likely stop Vimmortal sales to re-order labels and correct the discrepancy. I do find this an issue, and will correct it, however just to let folks know... the correction will make the nicotinic acid folks happy.

Folks that would like to send their Vimmortal product back, can do so for a full refund as the discrepancy was our mistake. Vimmortal will be available next month after correcting the labels. Yes it is a big headache, but I prefer to make mistakes early on, and apologize for any inconvenience to the organization and members here. I appreciate the opportunity to help create one of the best supplements out there, and after this first attempt I am completely open to fine tuning it to meet members expectations.

Attached is the COA for the ingredient we found at issue. So we will voluntarily stop sales to correct it by placing it's presence on the label appropriately.

Cheers
A

Attached Files

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 14 October 2010 - 09:17 PM.

• like x 1

#70 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Well that is certainly good news about the nicotinic acid. for 25 I will certainly give the multi a shot. It concerns me that I am taking a gamble with how I will react to the choline though.

#71 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

Since you are fixing the label anyway, you may want to consider putting the Albion info on there. I think most companies consider it a good selling point.... couldn't hurt.

#72 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Since you are fixing the label anyway, you may want to consider putting the Albion info on there. I think most companies consider it a good selling point.... couldn't hurt.

Thanks, will do.

A

#73 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hey anthony, so how long will the label changes take? i would like to geta bottle to try as soon as possible. Can I still order one today before you decide to suspend selling? The only difference will be the label right?

#74 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

We sill stop selling it Friday evening, and I have placed a notice that the corrected Vimmortal bottles will be available again around mid November. Yes, the only thing we will change is the label to correct the issue. I remind folks who have already ordered the bottle, that they can send their bottle back for a full refund and wait for the corrected one, at any time.

A

#75 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

oh yeah and the name of the multi sucks. haha, just saiyan.

#76 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, no, I do not understand the issue with choline. It is a semi-essential micronutrient w/ well-documented benefits included at an RDAish* dose; healthy diets high in vegetables but low in eggs and meat will be deficient. Some raised concerns but they are unwarranted. [...]

Also, remember this is a basics multi replicating dietary intakes and evidence based epidemiology. The B vitamins, incl. b12 seem just about right in that regard. No secondary plant metabolites like citrus bioflavanoids; they are neither basic nor evidence based (semi-)essential micro-nutrients.

What are the benefits of P5P over pyridoxine at dietary doses? AFAIK, w/o looking it up, none. [...]

yay for kismet up in here...

what do you think about helping us out by doing a quick comparison with ortho core? how big a deal are the differences between the two? is the imminst multi a total winner, making ortho core hopelessly obsolete?

the main differences I see from ortho core are is k1/k2/b6/b12. I'm not sure why niacinamide was chosen over inositol hexanicotinate like in ortho core ... there appears to be significantly less of all the vitamin E's. otherwise it seems pretty comparable to ortho core ... I wish someone could do at least a very brief write up on these differences and how they are superior...

Edited by Michael, 18 February 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#77 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

I am not sure about that.
The name is unique, memorable, fits with the advocacy for life extension... heck I think it's fine!
:-D

A

#78 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

Since the label's being changed, I'll just highlight the several requests to elucidate the vitamin A and E composition. If this isn't possible because of the source material, we'd all probably appreciate knowing that, too.

#79 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Since the label's being changed, I'll just highlight the several requests to elucidate the vitamin A and E composition. If this isn't possible because of the source material, we'd all probably appreciate knowing that, too.

Let me see if we can expand the section on vitamin a and e for this purpose.

A

#80 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

Instead of returning the bottles, why not send out a corrected label to those of us who've ordered? Or posting it, I can print it myself. Works for me, and probably for most who've ordered.
  • like x 4

#81 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

Instead of returning the bottles, why not send out a corrected label to those of us who've ordered? Or posting it, I can print it myself. Works for me, and probably for most who've ordered.

Wow...Maxwatt

Way to think outside of the box! I think we may only need to replace the supplement section, so I will have a pdf drawn up with just that section in mind to post it online and correct the one item that is at issue for folks that don't want to send the bottles back.

The other items (albion, vitamins a and e composition) won't cause an issue this time, but will be added to the more permanent re-labeling effort that needs to be done.

A

#82 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

Replacement with calcium is a complete no-go. Any reasonable calcium dose would put at least some ca-replete individuals into dangerous territory; as suggested by recent evidence. Supplemental ca is risky even at highish sub-RDA doses for replete individuals, analogous to folate. Would also be rather bulky.

I don't understand. Everything I've read says Calcium and Mag should be taken in a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio. Is this incorrect? Would not supplementing with CA alone lead to an imbalance?

If somone could help clarify why CA was left out that would be great.

Thanks,

-Brian

Edited by Michael, 18 February 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#83 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:02 AM

Wow...Maxwatt

Way to think outside of the box! I think we may only need to replace the supplement section, so I will have a pdf drawn up with just that section in mind to post it online and correct the one item that is at issue for folks that don't want to send the bottles back.

The other items (albion, vitamins a and e composition) won't cause an issue this time, but will be added to the more permanent re-labeling effort that needs to be done.

A

Why not just print out temporary labels using envelope labels that you stick over? That way you can still keep on selling in the interim - just mention it on the web site so no one can say they didn't know. I doubt if anyone here is that fussed about having a pretty label.

#84 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

Ordered 4 bottles and some piracetam (first time trying) capsules! Very excited to try my new toys. Do you think the multi choline will be sufficient for my piracetam needs?

#85 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

I took 550mg choline bitartrate this morning, to evaluate how well I would tolerate this multi. It's now two hours later, and I'm having a pretty huge problem concentrating, am very spaced-out, and feel emotionally blunted. I wouldn't really say "depressed," but I certainly feel unlike myself in a way I would find unacceptable in any medication or supplement. It produces an odd sensation near the front of my head, in the same place I would experience a headache...I would describe it impressionistically as something like pressure, with a feeling of 'coldness' to it. I just gave up on editing a friend's master's thesis, because my concentration is so bad that I'm unable to do anything but catch glaring punctuation errors.

I don't believe this was a fair or accurate trial. What you would do if you really wanted to replicate Vimmortal is take 183mg with each of the major meals of the day. Small doses, spaced out, with food.

Do you take ALCAR or any other cholinergic nootropic stuff?

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 15 October 2010 - 03:24 AM.

#86 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

I don't believe this was a fair or accurate trial. What you would do if you really wanted to replicate Vimmortal is take 183mg with each of the major meals of the day. Small doses, spaced out, with food.

Indeed, I didn't realize that people thought it best to divide the dosage throughout the day. However, I'm still confident that it's representative. I've taken bitartrate a couple dozen times, both with piracetam and without, at doses from 100-500mg; because of my reactions, the majority of these trials were below 200mg. Both with and without piracetam, choline bitratrate or alpha GPC produce the feelings I describe with a somewhat dose-dependent intensity, but still unpleasant enough at ~100mg that it's an unacceptable tradeoff for the benefits.

My normal daily routine is 2x 800mg piracetam + 1.5g ALCAR. I settled on ALCAR because of synergy, but also because it's the only ACh-increasing supplement I could tolerate (besides AChEIs). Given my reaction to precursors but not acetyl donors or esterase inhibitors, I'd speculate that my problem lies somewhere in the choline transport/storage/release processes upstream of ACh synthesis, but from others' reactions to other cholinergics, I think this can be mediated downstream of synthesis as well.

A dose of 183mg would produce brain fog and emotional blunting at a much more "functional" level, but based on the long duration I've observed, would be reinforced at a second and third dose. Not to mention that I'd be taking choline with dinner, which could very well interfere with my sleep, as trials with similar doses earlier in the day have done so several times.

Though disappointed, my point isn't so much that my reaction should be a deciding factor in the formulation. Rather, I was attempting to illustrate that this ingredient affects a neurotransmitter, with unpleasant cognitive and emotional consequences for some people. Ajna appears to be another such case, at least a couple of years ago.

Aside from (but also relevant to) my problem, I'm curious about the logic behind including 100% of men's daily AI, which is 130% of women's. The dosage is 5.5x higher than either of AOR's products, and 3.6x higher than LEF mix.

Finding no discussion in the project forum, the only topic I could dig up about the essentiality of dietary choline was Review: Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health. A few papers [1] [2] suggest that up to 50% of the population have polymormphisms which increase this requirement an unquantified amount. So, I'm guessing someone decided that the full men's AI was desirable to cover all possible bases (which doesn't seem to be the thought process for many other ingredients), and that potentially increasing intake to 150-200% of AI in the "choline-replete" would have no downsides.

If this was the case, why was choline bitartrate used? All the epidemiological data I saw were dietary studies, which AFAIK is comprised primarily of lecithin. In fact, choline bitartrate doesn't seem to be very well-studied at all. Given the possible (indeed, likely) differences in physiological processing of different forms of choline and phospholipids, wouldn't it be more reasonable in this context to go with the dietary form? Based on anecdotal evidence, lecithin/PC also seems less likely to exert neurochemical effects, though I haven't confirmed my own reaction at these levels. Though if 550mg is the target dose, this would require several 00 caps in itself, so probably isn't warranted for something that the team doesn't feel is an issue.

Edited by chrono, 15 October 2010 - 07:04 AM.

#87 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

I don't mean to sound insensitive to your plight (which I believe is a little more unique than you have portrayed), but choline is an essential vitamin-like micronutrient, and so it does belong in the formula IMO.

In general, people who do not eat many whole eggs may have to pay close attention to get enough choline in their diets.[10] Studies on a number of different populations have found that the average intake of choline was below the Adequate Intake (AI).[2][11]

The choline researcher Dr. Steven Zeisel wrote: "A recent analysis of data from NHANES 2003–2004 revealed that for [American] older children, men, women and pregnant women, mean choline intakes are far below the AI. Ten percent or fewer had usual choline intakes at or above the AI."[2]
However, the Adequate Intake may not be enough for some people. In the same study, 6 out of 26 men developed choline deficiency symptoms while consuming the Adequate Intake (and no more) of choline.[22] The Adequate Intake was less than the optimal intake for the male subjects in another study.[23]

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 15 October 2010 - 12:58 PM.

• like x 2

#88 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

I don't mean to sound insensitive to your plight (which I believe is a little more unique than you have portrayed), but choline is an essential vitamin-like micronutrient, and so it does belong in the formula IMO.

However, the Adequate Intake may not be enough for some people. In the same study, 6 out of 26 men developed choline deficiency symptoms while consuming the Adequate Intake (and no more) of choline.[22] The Adequate Intake was less than the optimal intake for the male subjects in another study.[23]

This is pretty scary. I'm getting just about the AI of choline.
It would really help if Cronometer measured choline ...

#89 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

As I pointed out earlier, the Chromium form is listed as niacinate (which is Inositol Hexaniacinate) NOT any form of Chromium. You probably want to fix that too while you are fixing the label.

#90 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

This is pretty scary. I'm getting just about the AI of choline.
It would really help if Cronometer measured choline ...

My version of Cron-o-meter measures choline. It's how I found I needed to supplement it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users