• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why the discrepancy in studies of cognitive training?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

I completely missed this study:

Nature. 2010 Jun 10;465(7299):775-8.
Putting brain training to the test.
Owen AM, Hampshire A, Grahn JA, Stenton R, Dajani S, Burns AS, Howard RJ, Ballard CG.
"Here we report the results of a six-week online study in which 11,430 participants trained several times each week on cognitive tasks designed to improve reasoning, memory, planning, visuospatial skills and attention. Although improvements were observed in every one of the cognitive tasks that were trained, no evidence was found for transfer effects to untrained tasks, even when those tasks were cognitively closely related."

Can anyone point out why this study did not support the results of prior trials á la COGITO and the n-back studies?

I still have to read this one and (re-)read the COGITO study, though, so I will refrain from speculation.

#2 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Do you know if they used Dual-N-Back in their study? Or just other random games created specifically for this study? IIRC, the dual-N-back study showed an increase in fluid intelligence.. This study reminds me of the lumosity games that target specific points of cognition instead of something like dual-N-back that exercises WM, thereby improving fluid intelligence.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, that's my first though too. Single n-back probably wouldn't increase fluid intelligence.

#4 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

Great question kismet, and nice to see you in the nootropics section ;) Would be interested in hearing your speculation about this when you've had time to consider it. I still haven't looked that deeply into the working memory/Gf and psychometric testing literature, so I can only offer some vague impressions from my skimming.

The minimum training time for participants was 10 minutes a day, 3x a week, divided across 6 different types of training for each of the 2 study groups. This is obviously a very different approach from the DnB studies, which do something like 20min x5 days on a single prolonged task targeting a single domain (WM).

The problem of how cognition was measured is always central to this kind of investigation. It seems the tests were pretty short, and references are only given for a few of the 12. This bears looking into, as more accurate tests of Gf (like Raven's) take like 40 minutes for a reason.

The supplemental figures from this study show enhanced performance on the training tasks with more sessions, but no transfer to general cognitive measures. If DnB does indeed result in far transfer from working memory to Gf, it seems to be a fairly unique property.

The design of this study seems to have tested whether exercising your brain in general increases intelligence in general. They may have been casting their net a little too wide to come up with anything useful. Their failure to include DnB, the most well-studied brain training game (and AFAIK the only one shown to transfer), suggests to me that this was intended more as a 'Mythbuster' endeavor (indeed, the study was commissioned by the BBC show Bang Goes the Theory) than a rigorous test of what is possible. If anything, it may show that simply 'exerecising' the brain with things like Lumosity may not be as useful as DnB.

A full PDF of this study is available here, and the supplemental figures on the abstract page. The tests used for this study can be taken online at Cambridge Brain Sciences (requires free signup).

#5 gwern

• 77 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, that's my first though too. Single n-back probably wouldn't increase fluid intelligence.

Actually, SNB seems to work better than DNB: http://www.gwern.net...tml#jaeggi-2010

Counterintuitive, I know. No one on the mailing list (http://groups.google.../brain-training) has come up with, IMO, a convincing explanation for why SNB > DNB.
  • like x 1

#6 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Actually, SNB seems to work better than DNB: http://www.gwern.net...tml#jaeggi-2010

Counterintuitive, I know. No one on the mailing list (http://groups.google.../brain-training) has come up with, IMO, a convincing explanation for why SNB > DNB.

So which one r u using? I have also heard single n back could be better, really don't know which one to start practicing!

#7 gwern

• 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

I personally am doing D4B. Habit, and I think it's more interesting than S4B would be.

(As well, I'm still not sure whether I believe Jaeggi 2010 - it is so counterintuitive!)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Damn, I hadn't seen that page; pretty disappointing rsults. It looks to me like the first study just fucked up the experiments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users