• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What is your favorite excuse for forgoing indefinite life extension?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

My main "objection" to indefinite lifespans, or should I say concern, is the existential threat from the technologies we are developing.

Hi Mind. The objection shouldn't be applied only to life extension. The technologies we are developing are related with the cure of cancer and other diseases. For instance, we are already working on virus to attack tumors or applying gene therapy for several natural imperfections or organ damage. The menace is implied in the developing of technology and knowledge in general, not only related with life extension. What can I say, nature sucks and the only way to bring justice to this world is changing it (something we have been doing for a few centuries already).

JD
  • like x 1

#32 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yesterday somebody told me that death was alright because, quote, "that is what makes us all so colorful & diverse".

Because nothing says diversity more than ending up as a pile of dust JUST like everyone and everything else. Also, doesn't something have to stay in existence to make it colourful and diverse? I don't think death has bugger all to do with one's individuality or diversity.

What can I say, nature sucks and the only way to bring justice to this world is changing it (something we have been doing for a few centuries already).

Amen to that. :) It would be interesting to do a survey and find out how many people who are so against "unnatural" have someone in their family or whether themselves are suffering from a debilitating condition that oh so caring Mother Nature forced upon them. Mind you, as I know from my own family, sometimes people with degenerative issues can be the most deathist people of the lot possibly in part because that's the only way they can come to terms with it. Mother Nature can be beautiful and deserves some respect but she can also be one cruel bitch and as we have the intelligence to try to do something about her mean streak then we should.

#33 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

'You wouldnt want to try out cryonics because if you were revived then you wouldnt have any friends around.'

I've heard that many times, many of you have probably heard that one many times. At 1 minute and 57 seconds into this video you can see a direct, real time, nationally televised example of Larry King saying that his wife said it, and a grown woman confirming that she thinks that is an obstacle to cryonics too.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Today I was told, quote, "I don't think I'd want to come back honestly. I like living & like who I am but I wouldn't want to come back to the negativity."

#35 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

No fears what-so-ever of living a really long time, I am looking forward to it. I would be concerned if a new treatment caused a chronic or deadly condition that resulted in lots of pain. That said, I am my own guinea pig, :|o

#36 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

'Don't try to get indefinite life extension on this earth because it is a supernatural life extension that you should be after.' http://www.longecity...__fromsearch__1

#37 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

'Don't try to get indefinite life extension on this earth because it is a supernatural life extension that you should be after.'

Supernatural life extension? Let me know where the ghost/spirit/entity is that can grant me life extension is and what offering to make and I'll be there. :-D Seriously though, this way of coping with mortality has been so hard wired into us that I'm not suprised that there are still many who favour God's methods of life elsewhere that may or may not exist over scientific methods.
  • like x 1

#38 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Here's an interesting article. Apparently older people are happier because they give up on their dreams. Imagine a future where you didn't have to stress about fulfilling your dreams within a time frame and where you could hold onto as many ambitions as you like without your body breaking down? I would argue that these people only give up on them because there is no hope of achieving them within the time frame and face it, how many older people do you hear saying "if only I was young again?"

I reckon this article will become another wonderfully flawed excuse to curl up and die: http://www.telegraph...our-dreams.html
  • like x 1

#39 Arcanyn

• 54 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

'You wouldnt want to try out cryonics because if you were revived then you wouldnt have any friends around.'

Unless some of your friends did cryonics too.

'Don't try to get indefinite life extension on this earth because it is a supernatural life extension that you should be after.'

Tried that, doesn't appear to be a very successful approach. Those vampires seem to be really good at hiding. And my attempt to cast a rejuvenation spell on an 80 year old only resulted in Animal Welfare getting very cross with me for sacrificing ten chickens and five goats as part of the ritual.
  • like x 1

#40 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Tried that, doesn't appear to be a very successful approach. Those vampires seem to be really good at hiding. And my attempt to cast a rejuvenation spell on an 80 year old only resulted in Animal Welfare getting very cross with me for sacrificing ten chickens and five goats as part of the ritual.

Classic! :laugh:

#41 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Here are a slew of gems I came across all in one discussion with a variety of people:

"I'm counting on it through John 3:16." (to get to indefinite life extension, instead of biology)

"after 200 hundred years of practice, someone could play an instrument really well" (said sarcastically, as if there were only a handful of things we could think of to do in all that time)

"As far as I can understand it, this indefinite life extension lies somewhere in that murky realm between pseudo-science and science fiction." Says a guy who then says this a few sentences later: "On the metaphysical side, as a Catholic Christian [....]"

More excuses:

"Our resources for providing nourishment for our growing population are already strained to near the breaking point. This factors in both our food production capabilities as well as distribution difficulties. If even a percentage of our population suddenly achieved virtual immortality, those same resources would be almost instantly overwhelmed! The tens of millions who would have died through age or other factors would add their dietary and housing needs to that list! Social structures themselves would rapidly collapse under the pressure, as systems such as social security (just to name one example) would be virtually instantly overwhelmed!"

"Just wanted to say that the bible is very clear about the end of the world, the rapture, the tribulation, and judgment day...yes this world is coming to an end very soon but the bible says there is a way, the only way is thru Jesus christ...there is an eternity we will live after this life ends..."

Combating these excuses is important in the success of this cause. Practice arguing them, and think about them from time to time. The more people that are informed about this and come to support this cause, the greater the percent of resources and people power to complete all the research necessary to bring about indefinite life extension there will be.

Edited by brokenportal, 11 July 2012 - 06:49 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users