• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Helpful Firefox Plugin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

Sachio Search Toolbar
Link: https://addons.mozil...ox/addon/13105/

Normally were all weary of anything that says "toolbar" in it, but you have the option to disable the toolbar by right clicking in your browser options bracket.
Posted Image

This plugin gives you the option to right click any text item and open up a new tab for researching/browsing.

Say someone posted something about Bacopa, you're like what the heck is Bacopa? So you highlight Bacopa, like you would if you were going to copy and paste it.
Having this plugin gives you some options in your context menu.
Posted Image

You can do a google/yahoo/bing/amazon/dictionary/etc search. The picture above is from my settings, it has more options in the user/edit panel (ie: below picture).
Posted Image

Say none of these options are interest to you. Well you can add your own pretty easy. First you just go into your addons/extensions menu(tools/addons) then find the plugin (Sachio) and click options, which opens the user/edit panel. From here you just click add, then do a keyword search on the website you want to add to the list, then find where the keyword is placed in the url. For instance I will do iherb, since it's used a lot here.

Posted Image

What I did here was just do a search @ iherb.com for a product, any product. It will display a url above like: http://www.iherb.com...Bacopa#p=1&sr=0 . You subtract the word "Bacopa" in the url and replace it with [KEYWORD] . Then check the box so it displays, then click close, then restart your browser so the changes display in your context menu. The worst part of this plugin is the fact you have to reload your browser each time in order for settings to display, it can get tedious.

You might ask what if my search @ iherb is to contain two keywords (ie: Bacopa capsule). The search will display "kw=Bacopa-Capsule" in the url, but the url will correct it, so [KEYWORD] will work for ANY search. The same should go for ANY website you wish to add. A lot of PHP based websites might add "-" or "+" between words, but the search will still go through.

Finished product:
Posted Image

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

My two new websites that I added are listed at the bottom of my context menu. I have another plugin that let's me edit my context menu, so I figured that was the problem, but in case anyone has the same issue, below is how to resolve it.

Menu Editor
Link: https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/710/

This lets you move/edit/delete anything in your context menu. Sometimes I right click pictures to "save picture as" and instead I sometimes click "send picture" on accident. So with this plugin I delete the option to "send picture" in my context menu, problems/headaches solved.

If your website you added is in a terrible place when you right click your context menu, then the "Menu Editor" plugin will give you the option to move it. The Sachio plugin which you added the website through in the first place, also gives you that option, but it is limited based upon where it can be listed in your context menu.

For me, iherb was listed @ the bottom of my context menu, terrible place.
Posted Image

Once inside the plugin, you can click and drag anywhere you want the website to be placed, same goes for any other option in your context menu.
Posted Image

Once done, just click apply.

Not affiliated with any of the plugins, but if you have a problem, just post it here.
  • like x 1

#2 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

The SearchWith Plugin works better.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Deckah

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

Seems to be the same thing, but with an extra step in the context menu. Both should solve the problems though. :~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users