Photo
- - - - -

Please comment on my regimen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CosmicString

• 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hello Everyone, I've been browsing these great forums for a while and finally decided to post my first topic. Here is my current regimen, I hope to get some comments and suggestions regarding it.

General Information:
Male, 25 years old, vegan, 3rd year mathematics & physics university student.

Known issues:
* Crohn’s Disease (an inflammatory bowel disease) - discovered about 5 years ago.
* ADHD - discovered very recently. Apparently I also had it as a child but still managed to succeed in school, so no one thought to check me for it. With the huge workload of university it began to be a real problem and eventually I was diagnosed.
* Insomnia.
* Mild OCD & Tourette syndrome.
* Mild depression.

Medications:
* Imuran (Azathioprine), 50mg a day - an immunosuppressant drug, worked wonders for my Crohn's.
* Pentasa (Mesalazine), 2g a day - an anti-inflammatory drug, also for Crohn's. I'm going to stop taking it in a month because I don't think it really has any effect and the Imuran is enough (my doctor concurs).
* Ritalin (Methylphenidate), 40mg Ritalin LA in the morning and another 10mg of Ritalin in the afternoon - really helps with my ADHD and allows me to study well. I'm thinking of switching to Concerta, though.
* Paroxetine, 20mg a day - for depression, I think it helps a little. Will start increasing the dose in a few weeks.
* Risperidone, 0.5mg a day - my previous psychiatrist suggested that I take it for dealing with stress, my current psychiatrist says it's inefficient for that purpose. I'm supposed to stop taking it soon.

Supplements:
* Multi-Vitamin (Country Life Vegetarian Support) - 4 capsules/day. For complete list of ingredients see here. I chose this brand because of my vegan diet.
* Omega-3 (Opti3) - 4 capsules/day. If you're not familiar with the product see here. Once again I chose this brand because I'm vegan.
* Resveratrol (RevGenetics) - 500mg/day. I feel that it has helped me a lot, for example a mild but constant back pain that I've had for more than a year almost disappeared a few days after I started taking it. Is there any benefit in increasing the dose to 1000mg?
* Melatonin (Country Life) - 3-6mg/day, every day. Without it I find it very difficult (and sometimes impossible) to fall asleep.
* Enzymes (Rainbow Light Advanced Enzyme System) - 1 capsule/day. See the product here. I recently started taking it and I think it help me with digestion, which has always been problematic due to Crohn's.
* Probiotics (Country Life Power-Dophilus) - 3 capsules/day. See here.
* Vitamin C (Country Life) - 1g/day. I don't know whether I really need to take it, as the multi-vitamin already supplies me with 300mg/day of Vitamin C. Is there any benefit in taking 1300mg/day of Vitamin C?
* Pycnogenol (Country Life) - 100mg/day. I've been taking it for about 3 years now, and I'm thinking of stopping because I'm actually not sure it has really helped me, and it's the most expensive supplement of them all.

Goals:
My eventual regimen (after implementing your suggestions) should help me achieve the following goals:
1. Dealing with the issues mentioned above.
2. Improving my cognitive abilities - concentration, memory, clear thinking, etc. so that I can succeed as much as possible in my studies (as mentioned above, mathematics & physics).
3. A more long-range goal - to lead a long and healthy life, which I guess is the goal of everyone here.

All comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by CosmicString, 26 October 2010 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users