Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Uncommon Ways to Become Healthier that Cost Nothing

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

Most people know about the basic stuff regarding sleep, exercise, and so on. Instead, I wanted to make a thread about more obscure but proven ways to prevent disease and improve health that cost (virtually) nothing. Perfect for the broke obsessive immortalist. Some of these will be old news to imminst members, but others might not.

Jumping Jacks - On days you don't work out, or whenever you find you've been sitting for too long, just get up and do some jumping jacks. This will get your circulatory system moving, which provides many benefits. Other calisthenics are also good obviously, but jumping jacks are the easiest.

Balance - During exercises, when doing curls and other such exercises, try standing on one foot. This will improve balance and build the muscles in your ankles, which can prevent injury among other benefits.

Add lemon to your tea - Adding lemon can boost the availability of the antioxidants in tea by quite a bit, and thus ultimately saves you money by giving you more bang for your buck.

Avoid antioxidants around exercise - For an hour or two before and after exercise it is best to refrain from antioxidant sources. See here.

Breathing Exercises - Meditation and/or controlled breathing exercises have many proven benefits on blood pressure, mood, stress, mental health, and so on. Even just two minutes is beneficial.

Careful What you Touch - Try to avoid using your bare palms to open doors, flush toilets, or turn faucets. Use your wrist, back of your hand, or your sleeve. Should be obvious, but few seem to do this.

Close the Lid Before Flushing - Flushing the toilet causes the contents to spray up into the bathroom, and leave a nice little coating on everything. Closing the lid before flushing prevents this.

Put Away Your Toothbrush - Place your oral hygiene products in the medicine cabinet to protect them from the aforementioned fecal aerosol.

Put on Socks First - This prevents bacteria and fungus from attaching itself to the inside of your underwear.

Lite Salt - Replace your normal salt with Morton Lite Salt or equivalent product. This is a bit more expensive than normal salt, but only a few dollars per year max. This can slightly reduce one's sodium intake, and increase one's potassium intake. So it is doubly good.

Keep Your Oils in the Dark - Many oils, such as olive oil, can become rancid more quickly when exposed to light. Rancid oil is obviously not very healthy.

Sun Avoidance - Stay out of the sun. Hide in the shade. Wear long sleeves and sunglasses. Whatever works for you. This can reduce or eliminate your need for sunscreen. You should already be getting your Vitamin D3 in pill form anyways. If not, go get some right now, the cost is trivial especially compared to the profound benefits.

Floss - Again, not free but close enough. Flossing doesn't just improve dental health, but it can reduce systemic inflammation for your whole body.

Feel free to add to this list, or dispute anything on it.

Also, I am interested in what people think about soap. I only use antibacterial soap if I have been out or have some good reason, since I recognize that bacteria is necessary for your skin. Additionally, I read in YOU: The Owner's Manual that fat-based soap can cause your body to reduce its production of oil and thus raise cholesterol. Yet, I remember reading Jeanne Calment rubbed olive oil on her skin all the time. So I made a compromise and strategically use a soap made from olive oil and aloe when showering. Good idea?

Edited by EmbraceUnity, 31 October 2010 - 06:21 PM.

• like x 3

#2 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Cool topic idea. Off the top of my head, all I can think of is two more things you should avoid touching: escalator rails and the counter at the bank (people sit their kids down on bank counters all the time, so unless you want to touch that kid's diapers, better to sign your checks before you come in!). Off the wall, but what the hey--it's Halloween. :laugh:

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

laugh yoga is one that I try and spread

The germophobia is a bit much, IMO. Sure, if you handle animals, prepare or are eating food, work in a hospital, play with feces, are in a developing country with weak sanitation, pick your nose or rub eyes, or are a child, there are great reasons to frequently sanitize. Mostly I think it is overblown.
  • like x 5

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:48 PM

The germophobia is a bit much, IMO. Sure, if you handle animals, prepare or are eating food, work in a hospital, play with feces, are in a developing country with weak sanitation, pick your nose or rub eyes, or are a child, there are great reasons to frequently sanitize. Mostly I think it is overblown.

Okay, but it matters how sick you get. Some people have over-active immune systems, or are on CRON, in which case it's better to try to avoid getting sick. If you're healthy, young, and strong, getting a few bugs will probably make you stronger, but if you're old like me, and a flu can knock you down for weeks, better to practice your balance skills on the escalator. :dry:

#5 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

I love the idea of laughing yoga. That one video is hysterical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXgdSOxaCGI

I do aspire towards some habits that are reminiscent of a germophobe in order to reduce my need for antibacterials. As a vegetarian and non-pet owner, my odds of infection are lower, but I am a city dweller and occasional nail biter, and in all likelihood reductions in infection risk have as much expected utility for life extension as supplementation and so on.

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:42 AM

I love the idea of laughing yoga. That one video is hysterical.

There are groups in my area, but I am most commonly seen laughing alone in my car at red lights or in traffic jams whenever I commute. It feels about the same as sharing a laugh with friends and brightens the day quite a bit. Stress levels go way down with regular practice.

#7 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:45 AM

Meditation

Fasting (if not for the health benefits for the effortless low body weight/fat maintenance)

Passion: Figure out your passion(s) and look for a social group dedicated to it (meetup.com, craigslist, etc). If there isn't one, create one yourself and become a leader!

Nature: Roll around in the dirt (I play sports), go for a bush walk or just spend time in "nature". 1, 2, 3

Sun: Get some sun! It's free! Just make sure your exposure is away from peak UV times like the early morning to kick-start your circadian rhythm (I don't want to get off-topic with this, if you disagree then whatever, this it is my opinion--however it's probably defensible to say the evidence-based position on this one is moderate sun for health, not vitamin d3 supplementation).

Take a cold shower

Sleep on your side or your back

Run Barefoot! We were born to run (barefoot). And it's free...

edit: some links

Edited by e Volution, 01 November 2010 - 11:44 AM.

• like x 1

#8 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

Excellent thread. *thumbs up*

Edited by kenj, 01 November 2010 - 08:09 PM.

#9 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

Thought of another one. If you have been looking at the computer screen or reading for too long, be sure to give your eyes a break every so often. Even just for a minute or something. A good way is to look off into the distance somewhere. Your eyes were made for a world with more than two dimensions.

#10 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I wear a Hazmat Suit for my days in the town.
Posted Image

Edited by Rol82, 01 November 2010 - 09:59 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#11 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:53 AM

^^ Better safe than sorry right!

f.lux: makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.
  • like x 2

#12 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

^^ Better safe than sorry right!

f.lux: makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

Great addition! I use Redshift, which is basically the same thing but for Ubuntu. These things probably add up quite a bit if you do all of them. Just as important as supps.

#13 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:04 AM

Maybe not totally free, but dirt cheap: Gardening. I grow collards, parsley, kale, and onions in the winter, and add to that tomatoes, squash, herbs, sweet potatoes, and a bunch of other stuff in the spring/summer. It's a multi-benefit, because it benefits you to do the work, be one with the plants and bugs, be in the sun in the morning, and of course, eat the harvest. Plus, it actually saves money in the long run.

I also run--right out the front door and around the neighborhood. And I get up from the machine every so often and do arm stuff with a resistance band.

And then there is Love. Totally free, and so good for you... :wub:
  • like x 1

#14 Pour_la_Science

• 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:42 AM

Great thread! I will try F.lux, it seems funny! One improvement suggested : it shoud reflect the weather out there now. Even if it's sunlight, You've got the feeling it's 8pm for the moment Posted Image

I would advise not to invest too much into that. "Attachment is the mother of all pains". People die, leave you... Try at least falling in love with something/someone with a longer longevity than you (or the same longevity: try falling in love with yourself!)...

Edited by Pour_la_Science, 02 November 2010 - 07:48 AM.

#15 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

I would advise not to invest too much into that. "Attachment is the mother of all pains". People die, leave you... Try at least falling in love with something/someone with a longer longevity than you (or the same longevity: try falling in love with yourself!)...

It is entirely possible to for healthy loving interpersonal relationships that are not based on co-dependence. This requires self-love to be sure. I like Erich Fromm's approach in the Art of Loving.

Mental health and physical health are linked. It is easier to practice the art of loving if you are getting lots of sleep, physical activity, meditation, laughing yoga, tea, dark chocolate, and so on and so forth.

If you have someone to give you massages and head rubs, that is also very helpful :)

If you don't have a significant other, you can't get them for free, but you can buy one of these for less than five bucks.

Edited by EmbraceUnity, 02 November 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#16 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

It is entirely possible to for healthy loving interpersonal relationships that are not based on co-dependence. This requires self-love to be sure. I like Erich Fromm's approach in the Art of Loving.

Mental health and physical health are linked. It is easier to practice the art of loving if you are getting lots of sleep, physical activity, meditation, laughing yoga, tea, dark chocolate, and so on and so forth.

If you have someone to give you massages and head rubs, that is also very helpful :)

If you don't have a significant other, you can't get them for free, but you can buy one of these for less than five bucks.

Affordable scalp massages can also be found at Indian operated spas, which I really enjoy frequenting.

#17 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

I would like to second the use of meditation and cold showers (great for neurogenesis), but I would also like to be emphatic about the liberal use of spices (cloves, oregano, garlic, curcumin, etc.), a diversely stimulating life, regular massage, moderate alcohol consumption (Cabernet Sauvignon in particular), plentiful (but not necessarily strenuous) exercise, and of course, an individually determined amount of sufficient fornication (because appetites may vary after all). I'm a bit dubious about the overall importance of pets, but I have found that the companionship is certainly beneficial for mental health, and that they provide a tremendous incentive to go outdoors in spite of the elements. I had horses, llamas, and dogs throughout my generally happy childhood, and I expect there will be a continued presence of such animals for much of my adult life.

#18 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

But love? I like the idea of having a companion, but I can't say that I'm in love with my current partner. Nor can I say that I require love for sustenance like the legions of romantic saps. I previously used to long for fleeting moments of passionate intensity, but now, I only desire a tolerable, stable, physically charming, and cerebral partner that helps to create domestic bliss. A modern outlook on partnership would also be helpful, but we certainly can't always get what we want, since most women are unfailingly jealous.

#19 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Alcohol does more harm than good.

Love does more good than harm. (But admittedly, it helps if you are able to broaden your definition of love to something bigger than the concept of falling. :wacko: )

#20 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

I would also like to be emphatic about the liberal use of spices (cloves, oregano, garlic, curcumin, etc.)

I was thinking about this one but I wanted to err on the side of truly free suggestions.

moderate alcohol consumption (Cabernet Sauvignon in particular)

I have only seen shoddy population studies that merely show a correlation with health and moderate alcohol consumption, but come nowhere close to proving causation. Furthermore, this is a very expensive suggestion, and for alcoholics it is more than just expensive. Remember, this thread is for free ideas.

and of course, an individually determined amount of sufficient fornication (because appetites may vary after all).

Decent suggestion, though condoms can be rather expensive. A lot of the benefits from sex only occur when unprotected, but obviously the risks there are high, and disease screenings aren't free.

I'm a bit dubious about the overall importance of pets, but I have found that the companionship is certainly beneficial for mental health, and that they provide a tremendous incentive to go outdoors in spite of the elements. I had horses, llamas, and dogs throughout my generally happy childhood, and I expect there will be a continued presence of such animals for much of my adult life.

Pets are definitely not free.

A modern outlook on partnership would also be helpful, but we certainly can't always get what we want, since most women are unfailingly jealous.

In another thread, you asked me why I thought Dewey and pragmatism are so important. This is a perfect example. Your "modern" view on relationships is not necessarily any better than monogamy, simply because non-monogamy often results in a gender imbalance where some males have access to lots of women and other males have no access, simply because of the imbalanced tendency between the sexes for preferring multiple mates. This results in substantial social tension, and likely violence. I suspect China's One Chile Policy will have a similar effect.

If you want to pursue that discussion further, we can take it over to Society & Economics.

Edited by EmbraceUnity, 02 November 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#21 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

I would also like to be emphatic about the liberal use of spices (cloves, oregano, garlic, curcumin, etc.)

I was thinking about this one but I wanted to err on the side of truly free suggestions.

moderate alcohol consumption (Cabernet Sauvignon in particular)

I have only seen shoddy population studies that merely show a correlation with health and moderate alcohol consumption, but come nowhere close to proving causation. Furthermore, this is a very expensive suggestion, and for alcoholics it is more than just expensive. Remember, this thread is for free ideas.

and of course, an individually determined amount of sufficient fornication (because appetites may vary after all).

Decent suggestion, though condoms can be rather expensive. A lot of the benefits from sex only occur when unprotected, but obviously the risks there are high, and disease screenings aren't free.

I'm a bit dubious about the overall importance of pets, but I have found that the companionship is certainly beneficial for mental health, and that they provide a tremendous incentive to go outdoors in spite of the elements. I had horses, llamas, and dogs throughout my generally happy childhood, and I expect there will be a continued presence of such animals for much of my adult life.

Pets are definitely not free.

A modern outlook on partnership would also be helpful, but we certainly can't always get what we want, since most women are unfailingly jealous.

In another thread, you asked me why I thought Dewey and pragmatism are so important. This is a perfect example. Your "modern" view on relationships is not necessarily any better than monogamy, simply because non-monogamy often results in a gender imbalance where some males have access to lots of women and other males have no access, simply because of the imbalanced tendency between the sexes for preferring multiple mates. This results in substantial social tension, and likely violence. I suspect China's One Chile Policy will have a similar effect.

If you want to pursue that discussion further, we can take it over to Society & Economics.

You're right, I wasn't paying much heed to the topic definition of cost, and pursuing more of a direction of unconventional, which I judged to be one of the most appealing virtues of your proposals. So perhaps I'll start a separate topic, or whatever.

I don't want to detract from the subject, but certain types of alcohol have a favorable impact on markers for inflammation, upregulate nAChRs, and increase protein kinase activation. It just depends largely on the quantity and category.

#22 magnesium

• 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

Sinusitis:
Humming Greatly Increases Nasal Nitric Oxide
The data presented here indicate that humming is an extremely effective means of increasing sinus ventilation. In fact, in our model system, almost the entire volume (96%) of a normal maxillary sinus (20 ml) was exchanged in a single exhalation during phonation, as compared with less than 4% during quiet exhalation. It will therefore be of great interest to study whether daily periods of humming can reduce the risk for sinusitis in patients susceptible to upper airway infections.

Sleep apnea:
Didgeridoo playing as alternative treatment for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: randomised controlled trial
Regular didgeridoo playing is an effective treatment alternative well accepted by patients with moderate obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.

(Didgeridoos can be made of pvc pipe and wax--very cheap compared to standard treatments)

Athletes foot:
Pee on your feet. No sources for this other than Madonna and the fact that the US Army recommended it.

Edited by magnesium, 03 November 2010 - 02:33 AM.

#23 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Really? Evidence, please. How do you even quantize something like that? Because if you take longevity as the measure, alcohol does more good than harm.

#24 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Really? Evidence, please. How do you even quantize something like that? Because if you take longevity as the measure, alcohol does more good than harm.

She's probably making this statement from the limited reservoir of personal experience, which can lead to unsatisfactory conclusions.

Edited by Rol82, 04 November 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#25 adamh

• 1,043 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Lets see evidence that alcohol promotes long life? I've seen studies on cardiovascular benefits but somehow it never translates into longer life. Excess imbibing has consistently shown to be harmful. It has been shown to increase cancer risk.

I disagree with the "cost nothing" premise. Nothing costs nothing so all the suggestions would be disqualified. Time is valuable so how is spending an hour a day doing something without cost? Obviously there is a cost. Many people would consider something that costs 50 cents and takes 5 minutes to be a lot cheaper than something that takes 30 minutes and costs "nothing". Nothing if your time has no value. Lets concentrate on low cost solutions rather than mythical free ones.

My suggestion is to smile more. Try to smile at people when you greet them and from time to time. It only takes a few seconds to remember so the cost is very low. Smiling makes you feel happier and makes the other person feel better too. It gets your conversation off to a good start and might make more friends. Having friends has been shown to improve health and lead to longer life.
  • like x 3

#26 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi, JLL: When considering the benefits and risks of any action, including alcohol consumption, I take in not just the effect it has on me (though certainly that matters), but also on the rest of the world (as an act of love). Here's some evidence:

Alcohol More Harmful than Crack or Heroin

#27 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

Lets see evidence that alcohol promotes long life? I've seen studies on cardiovascular benefits but somehow it never translates into longer life. Excess imbibing has consistently shown to be harmful. It has been shown to increase cancer risk.

I disagree with the "cost nothing" premise. Nothing costs nothing so all the suggestions would be disqualified. Time is valuable so how is spending an hour a day doing something without cost? Obviously there is a cost. Many people would consider something that costs 50 cents and takes 5 minutes to be a lot cheaper than something that takes 30 minutes and costs "nothing". Nothing if your time has no value. Lets concentrate on low cost solutions rather than mythical free ones.

My suggestion is to smile more. Try to smile at people when you greet them and from time to time. It only takes a few seconds to remember so the cost is very low. Smiling makes you feel happier and makes the other person feel better too. It gets your conversation off to a good start and might make more friends. Having friends has been shown to improve health and lead to longer life.

I'm smiling right now. Thanks for a voice of reason, Adam.

#28 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

Alcohol More Harmful than Crack or Heroin

ABUSE! The distinction is key here. Anti-alcohol propaganda is saddening, even if it is well-intended.

Do you not drink water because some people may drown? Should we recommend that people cook raw meat or would this just promote carcinogenic BBQs, burning books and people at the stake. ;)

Please, tell me how your recommendation for evidence-based moderate wine consumption would harm people when it actually prevents premature death? It is a little arrogant and cynical to suggest that there are scores of addicts browsing health forums, just waiting to use our sound advice as a justification for their addiction (or that the natural predisposition to alcoholism is higher than that to CVD)..

A few random ideas for teh topic: regular meal patterns, no gorging at night, do not in swim chlorinated pools and do not drink manganese-rich water.

Edited by kismet, 04 November 2010 - 09:45 PM.

• like x 2

#29 EmbraceUnity

• Topic Starter
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I understand the "no such thing as a free lunch" notion but my point was to talk about things with little to no exchange value... alcohol is not among these, so let's stick to the topic.

Edited by EmbraceUnity, 04 November 2010 - 10:15 PM.

#30 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

A few random ideas for teh topic: regular meal patterns, no gorging at night, do not in swim chlorinated pools and do not drink manganese-rich water.

What do you base your first two ideas off, do you have any evidence these increase health?

I certainly agree with your points on alcohol kismet, leha we cannot afford societal arguments entering a discussion on what is primarily free health tips & tricks for the individual. This is not because they don't matter, or we don't care, but because we end up getting into fruitless arguments like this one now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users