• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The disturbing possible future of the China/U.S. Relationship

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe China is a growing threat to the U.S.? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe China is a growing threat to the U.S.?

1. Yes (14 votes [60.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

2. No (9 votes [39.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Is our greatest challenge China or ourselves?

1. China (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. Ourselves! (21 votes [91.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.30%

Do you have plans to learn Chinese?

1. Yes, for business (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. No, forget it... (12 votes [52.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

3. I want to know their language before the big takeover! (4 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Where do you predict the first Singularity spawning seedAI will come from?

1. United States (17 votes [73.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

2. China (6 votes [26.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

Assuming China maintains its average of nearly 10 percent of annual growth, it would take about 30 years for it to surpass us in aggregate output, and that assumes everything goes according to plan, which it probably won't. As for the prospect of war, the only realistic scenario would be a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. But this, and any other serious military conflict is not foreseeable, because China is unlikely to accept the inevitable costs that would come with a pariah status---mostly economic. It might become more bellicose, or become involved in very limited military engagements, but nothing sustained. Invading Taiwan would be a logistical nightmare that would face fierce resistance, even if the United States decides to remain neutral. Presently, its armed forces lack the professionalism, experience, and capacity to launch such an invasion. Their best hope is aerial bombardment, but as the literature suggests, the cost of concession would have to be low for a target state to yield to coercion through air strikes, and for Taiwan, sacrificing sovereignty on China's terms would be a very high cost. Of course, if the global economy suffered a global depression that was especially cruel to China, its preferences may be altered, but the military obstacles would remain the same. If we so desired, we could neuter its Navy while only suffering minimal losses, and eliminate its strategic nuclear forces in less than 30 minutes---while only inflicting less than a million casualties, and because they have to fuel their ICBMs, long before they could launch a retaliatory response. We would only run into trouble if we attempted a ground invasion, but such has almost no chance of happening. So in sum, don't be overly fearful of China, because beneath its frightening superficial appearance, it's much weaker than it wants anyone to know.

Thanks for the most interesting and thought out reply. I don't dispute most of what you say, however I would challenge a few things. My estimates for Chinas GDP to be larger than the US's is 15 to 23 years. This is assuming a growth rate in the US of between 2.6% and 5.0% and a consistent growth rate in China of 10%. The simple fact is, China has pretty much been able to maintain uninterrupted growth of 10% for the last 30 years. It doesn't take much to boost the Chinese economy, so I doubt we will see growth of much less than 10% over the next few decades. I haven't even accounted for China's seriously undervalued currency which distorts it's real GDP figure.

The US is facing some very serious financial challenges both now and into the future. There is no real guarantee of any significant growth in the next couple of decades. I suspect that growing a developing economy is going to prove much easier than growing a fully developed one.

My expectations of war are more in line with resource wars. China might deiced that it doesn't like paying the prices Australia charges for it's iron ore, coal, gas and agricultural products, especially if it can just invade a country of 21 million and help itself. A more likely scenario is China fighting the US in proxy wars over oil and also possibly rare earth minerals. Another option you don't address is a surprise first strike (nuclear) against the US. It may not be a high probability but I don't think it can be completely discounted.

One other thing I would like to address is China's military capabilities. Given that it is still a developing nation and it's GDP just a decade ago would have been but a fraction of it's current size, it isn't doing too badly. It's military spend is going up faster than it's GDP and it is gradually improving the quality of it's forces rather than increasing their number. China is a great duplicator and you can be sure that they have taken away a lot from their stripping down of your aircraft a few years ago. There are a lot of shortcuts they can take and you can be sure that they are aware of this and making the most of it. It is amazing how much can fit on a usb drive or 2Tb plug in hard disk. The internet just makes things even easier. This is not to say that China is a high risk militarily right now, but they are fast getting there.

Warfare is also changing and the US us especially vulnerable. The US's dependence on the Internet is getting more and more ingrained and it's reliance on imported oil would also not be missed. Reliance on satellite technology also could be a weakness.

Overall, I think the biggest risk is the US being complacent, all too easy to do without even realising it. Certainly, the US likes to think that it is really on the ball with constantly updated responses, however I think it may be missing a trick or two and that may be all that is needed in the not too distant future with an assertive China.

I certainly hope that things pan out for the best, but my reading of history is that change is often a catalyst for war and we really cannot afford war with the weaponry we have these days.

#62 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

One other thing I would like to address is China's military capabilities. Given that it is still a developing nation and it's GDP just a decade ago would have been but a fraction of it's current size, it isn't doing too badly. It's military spend is going up faster than it's GDP and it is gradually improving the quality of it's forces rather than increasing their number. China is a great duplicator and you can be sure that they have taken away a lot from their stripping down of your aircraft a few years ago. There are a lot of shortcuts they can take and you can be sure that they are aware of this and making the most of it. It is amazing how much can fit on a usb drive or 2Tb plug in hard disk. The internet just makes things even easier. This is not to say that China is a high risk militarily right now, but they are fast getting there.

In case anyone missed the incidents such as this:
Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise, leaving military chiefs red-faced

#63 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

In case anyone missed the incidents such as this:
Chinese sub pops up in middle of U.S. Navy exercise, leaving military chiefs red-faced

Yeah, this sort of behavior is becoming a regular part of their strategic posture---like the Impeccable and Hainan Island incidents, and meant to send a strong signal to the United States and its regional allies. But they're aren't communicating from a position of considerable strength, because even if the Chinese Navy manages to achieve numerical parity in the number of attack submarines for example, they're not anywhere close to narrowing the qualitative gap. And sure, they're introducing an impressive line of guided missile ships and batteries that might render our carriers more vulnerable, but such a tactic will only work if we choose to engage the Chinese on their preferred terms---or in close quarters where they can swarm us. Air superiority is what counts, and I just haven't seen any convincing evidence that the Chinese would be able to protect their vessels from the impressive number of state of the art aircraft that we have at our disposal in this theater---whose commanders and pilots won't make the mistake of delivering munitions at lower altitudes.

The Chinese ground forces are much, much worse, though. In exercises, they manage to even make the Russians appear comparatively better, which is very telling, and is why no one within the Chinese military is eager to launch a cross strait invasion of Taiwan. One must distinguish public bluster from private positions, which is why we need to treat Chinese conduct with a skeptical eye.

Edited by Rol82, 14 November 2010 - 09:49 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

There is plenty of blame to go around. Both in the government and on wall street. You have to admit people in the government like Alan Greenspan and Barney Frank were a part of the problem. It takes two to tango.

I've been trying to keep partisanship out of it, but tell me, what was Barney Frank's role in the crisis? Are you equating it to Greenspan's?

Barney Frank is the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee which oversees the entire financial services industry, including the securities, insurance, banking, and housing industries.

From wikipedia:

" In 2003, while the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, Frank opposed a Bush administration proposal, in response to accounting scandals, for transferring oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from Congress and the Department of Housing and Urban Development to a new agency that would be created within the Treasury Department. The proposal, supported by the head of Fannie Mae, reflected the administration's belief that Congress "neither has the tools, nor the stature" for adequate oversight. Frank stated, "These two entities...are not facing any kind of financial crisis.... The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing."[59] In 2003, Frank also stated what has been called his "famous dice roll":[60] "I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness [in the regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] that we have in the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidised housing."[61] "

Here's a video that compares how Barney Frank was taking credit for the housing situation in the good times and denying responsibility for it in the bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVIeCYAJFk

Here's some interesting ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgJq8OYEl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZ9l_AxKjA

A friend of mine interned for Frank in college, and she tells me he's one of the funniest, smartest, and most dedicated members of Congress. If it wasn't for his sexual orientation, he might be Speaker---which I would be quite fine with. This description has been confirmed by other friends as well.

Anyway, based on accounts of reputation that have been either personally conveyed or learned from other sources, I think it might be fun to do a "most" and "least" list of legislators.

Most Intelligent Republicans: Richard Lugar, Judd Gregg, Lamar Alexander, Eric Cantor, and the former representatives Heather Wilson and Jim Leach.
Most Intelligent Democrats: Barney Frank, Russ Feingold, John Spratt, Pete Stark, Adam Schiff, Jack Reed, Jeff Bingaman, and Arlen Specter.
Least Intelligent Democrats: Jon Tester, Mark Pryor, Mark Begich, Maxine Waters, and James Clyburn (I hate myself for admitting this, though, because he's still a great man).
Least Intelligent Republicans: Jim Bunning, Kay Hagen, Joe Barton, Jim Inhofe, and Tom Coburn.
Most Popular Republican (among colleagues): Orrin Hatch, Lindsay Graham, John McCain, Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor, and John Thune.
Most Popular Democrat (among colleagues): Barbara Boxer, Al Franken, Richard Durbin, Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, James Clyburn, Edward Markey, Henry Waxman, Barney Frank, John Kerry, and the Udalls.
Least Popular Democrats: Ben Nelson, Roland Burris, Charles Rangel (at least now), and Barbara Mikulski.
Least Popular Republicans: Tom Coburn, Jim Inhofe, Don Young, and Jim Bunning.
Most Corrupt and Unethical Republicans: David Vitter, Roy Blunt, and Don Young.
Most Corrupt and Unethical Democrats: Roland Burris, Charlie Rangel, and Maxine Waters (she's also the most insufferable).
Best Republican Consensus Builders: Mitch McConnell, Eric Cantor, John McCain, and Paul Ryan.
Best Democratic Consensus Builders: Harry Reid, Charles Schumer, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, and Barney Frank.
Overall Worst Democrat: Maxine Waters.
Overall Worst Republican: Jim Bunning.

Caveat: I'm probably leaving out a number of candidates, but the aforementioned are those that come immediately to mind.

Edited by Rol82, 14 November 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#65 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

Assuming China maintains its average of nearly 10 percent of annual growth, it would take about 30 years for it to surpass us in aggregate output, and that assumes everything goes according to plan, which it probably won't. As for the prospect of war, the only realistic scenario would be a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. But this, and any other serious military conflict is not foreseeable, because China is unlikely to accept the inevitable costs that would come with a pariah status---mostly economic. It might become more bellicose, or become involved in very limited military engagements, but nothing sustained. Invading Taiwan would be a logistical nightmare that would face fierce resistance, even if the United States decides to remain neutral. Presently, its armed forces lack the professionalism, experience, and capacity to launch such an invasion. Their best hope is aerial bombardment, but as the literature suggests, the cost of concession would have to be low for a target state to yield to coercion through air strikes, and for Taiwan, sacrificing sovereignty on China's terms would be a very high cost. Of course, if the global economy suffered a global depression that was especially cruel to China, its preferences may be altered, but the military obstacles would remain the same. If we so desired, we could neuter its Navy while only suffering minimal losses, and eliminate its strategic nuclear forces in less than 30 minutes---while only inflicting less than a million casualties, and because they have to fuel their ICBMs, long before they could launch a retaliatory response. We would only run into trouble if we attempted a ground invasion, but such has almost no chance of happening. So in sum, don't be overly fearful of China, because beneath its frightening superficial appearance, it's much weaker than it wants anyone to know.

Thanks for the most interesting and thought out reply. I don't dispute most of what you say, however I would challenge a few things. My estimates for Chinas GDP to be larger than the US's is 15 to 23 years. This is assuming a growth rate in the US of between 2.6% and 5.0% and a consistent growth rate in China of 10%. The simple fact is, China has pretty much been able to maintain uninterrupted growth of 10% for the last 30 years. It doesn't take much to boost the Chinese economy, so I doubt we will see growth of much less than 10% over the next few decades. I haven't even accounted for China's seriously undervalued currency which distorts it's real GDP figure.

The US is facing some very serious financial challenges both now and into the future. There is no real guarantee of any significant growth in the next couple of decades. I suspect that growing a developing economy is going to prove much easier than growing a fully developed one.

My expectations of war are more in line with resource wars. China might deiced that it doesn't like paying the prices Australia charges for it's iron ore, coal, gas and agricultural products, especially if it can just invade a country of 21 million and help itself. A more likely scenario is China fighting the US in proxy wars over oil and also possibly rare earth minerals. Another option you don't address is a surprise first strike (nuclear) against the US. It may not be a high probability but I don't think it can be completely discounted.

Warfare is also changing and the US us especially vulnerable. The US's dependence on the Internet is getting more and more ingrained and it's reliance on imported oil would also not be missed. Reliance on satellite technology also could be a weakness.

Overall, I think the biggest risk is the US being complacent, all too easy to do without even realising it. Certainly, the US likes to think that it is really on the ball with constantly updated responses, however I think it may be missing a trick or two and that may be all that is needed in the not too distant future with an assertive China.

I certainly hope that things pan out for the best, but my reading of history is that change is often a catalyst for war and we really cannot afford war with the weaponry we have these days.

China has a GDP of 4.33 trillion, and assuming that their 30 year average is sustained, which doesn't seem likely, it would require at least 25 years to surpass us if our economy was frozen. But of course, this won't happen, and within this period, we'll probably add between $10 to 15 trillion in output. So I'm not really convinced that we'll actually be surpassed in aggregate output anywhere in the near future. And even if you account for currency revaluation, there are other internal costs that need to be accounted for in future calculations, and would likely cancel the effects of revaluation: like environmental conditions, and corruption for instance.

As for the future prospects of the United States, we have considerable comparative advantages that gives our economy staying power: human capital (measured by degree holders), household wealth, financial capital creation capacity, nearly 7 trillion in private sector investments (which doesn't consider the notional values of instruments), labor market flexibility, possessing the world's premier reserve currency, having a government that's guaranteed first place and highest confidence in capital markets, an undaunted Federal Reserve, being a global leader in research and development spending, the level of productivity per capita, etc. The dire forecasts strike me as not being objective (because our relative position isn't being properly measured), ignorant of historical precedents, and overall, alarmist (how many times have external and internal critics predicted the downfall of the United States?). China, by contrast, faces far more serious and obvious problems, and heralding its ascent to hegemony seems both premature and misguided.

China will flex its muscles on matters related natural resources, but it can't afford a trade war. Just in the last recession, the special economic zones of Shenzen and Guangzhou alone suffered over 600,000 business closings. When you factor in Hong Kong and other cities, the problem is much worse, and I don't think there has been a serious assay of the extent of the actual damage. In the months following the onset of the global contraction, for example, federal spending was responsible for 87% of the growth in output, and it still remains disturbingly high in spite of a return to previous levels of growth. As the economies of export destinations tighten their belts, China still faces a very painful future of losses and adjustments. In the meantime, though, they have to deal with pervasive poverty, and if the state's very optimistic and incorrect estimate is to be trusted (and it most definitely shouldn't), they face a population of 150 million people living on less than $2/day---but as I stated earlier, it's likely far, far, worse. When combined with social unrest, inflationary pressures, a weak social safety net, high household savings rates, micro environmental costs, and a weakening civil government, you have the basic ingredients for a fairly serious disaster. If China dares to attempt to manipulate states with its debt and currency holdings, and share of the rare Earth mineral market, it's likely to face a stunning response. Like for example, what would happen with new tariffs, sanctions against its private sector, a restriction of their access to financial markets, and general restrictions on the market entry for China's private sector? Foreign trade is very important for our economy, but we wouldn't die a qucik death if our trade position with China radically changed. China, by contrast, has built an economy that either sinks or swims based on the volume of trade. So we have the upper hand, and they're quite aware of this reality, so whatever intransigence we encounter is without foundation, but just simply posturing to maintain a facade.

Returning to the matter of resources, China doesn't have the luxury of being choosy, or throwing a fit over prices, because current levels of demand greatly exceed supply. Although they might harass Australian nationals over failed investments like Rio Tinto, they have no choice but to accept the current situation, because where are there reliable alternatives for supply? As for energy resources, there might be some light military exchanges, but nothing amounting to actual war. For them, convincing other states that they face a prospect of war is the desired outcome, not war itself, which would be tantamount to national suicide. China, as you suggest, could seriously try to invade Australia, but it would be a very short and pathetic war---and everyone in the military knows this. War with the United States would also be quickly resolved, even if they had the audacity to launch a nuclear first strike. Because here's the deal, we know the exact locations of their strategic nuclear forces, which much to our advantage, they keep isolated and away from densely populated centers. Additionally, these sites are under constant surveillance, and for them to launch a strike, they would have to mobilize the missiles, fuel them, and hope that we don't strike first---but we probably would. They only have 30 ICBMs capable of hopefully reaching the states, and all of them are liquid fueled---a process that takes hours. They are at such a disadvantage, that an analysis by Scott Sagan---from MIT---concluded that we would be able destroy all of their strategic nuclear forces in less than an hour---but closer to 30 minutes---while only inflicting less than a million civilian casualties. So the decision for United States to strike first would certainly be contemplatable.

China's military spending is indeed growing at a rate faster than the United States and its neighbors----120% since 2000. But a distinction must be made between quantity and quality. They still depend on Russia for much of their military hardware, their projection capacity is extremely limited, most of their equipment is very outdated (in spite of upgrades), and the professionalism of military personnel is very much lacking. So interstate war is completely out of the question---even with Taiwan, which I imagine would be an exceedingly humbling experience. To be clear, professionalism has improved, but it improved from a very dreadful position, and will never come close to achieving parity with the United States---which isn't a goal anyway. To compensate, they'll attempt to upgrade their cyber warfare capabilities, but don't listen to glorified idiots like Richard Clarke----instead, look at Hersh's recent New Yorker piece, which places their capabilities and intentions in perspective: http://www.newyorker...01fa_fact_hersh----at the end of the day, our Cyber Command would still kick the shit out of theirs. So in sum, don't worry about China burgeoning military, because it will never constitute a real challenge----beyond fueling hysteria---and is driven by very modest ambitions---domestic order, protecting overseas investments, reputation building, and creating fear.

As for the level of imported oil, that's an interesting subject. But domestic sources still provide about 40% of our needs, and our foreign sources are becoming increasingly diversified. When you combine this reality with public and private sector investments in alternative energy, the problem becomes much less frightening. Peak oil would only be a problem if technological improvements flat-lined---which will never happen. And because the market share OPEC dropped alarmingly (for them) by the early 90s, and due to a decade of low prices leading to a near death experience---expect them to be much more pliant, and not hawkish on prices. Saudi Arabia should be showered with praise for its role in ensuring a stability in oil prices, which affects price levels across the spectrum, which hurts the poor the most when there is a spike. Rather than worrying about our dependence, we should instead be concerned by the the failure of most oil producing economies to diversify their economies, spend their proceeds wisely, and with the amount of federal revenues that are derived from the production of oil---mostly between 80% and 90%. Considering the brand of politics and the amount of religious fervor in some of the major producer countries, I'm much more concerned about the costs of de-linking.

Finally, a distinction needs to be made between complacency----which no policymaker in the United States is guilty of---and mass hysteria, which places our country in greater peril. I'm confident about the future of the United States, but not blindly confident like some of the jingoists. Rather, my confidence has a basis in quantitative and qualitative data, not patriotic sentiment---which because of my cosmopolitanism, I usually consider noxious anyway.

Edited by Rol82, 15 November 2010 - 02:37 AM.

#66 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

http://www.theepocht...ent/view/45709/

Cooking oil, liquor, and instant noodles have increased 10 to 20
percent. "We can't change the price tags fast enough!" said a
purchasing staffer in a Beijing supermarket.

"Take cooking oil for example, we get three or four notices a day to
increase the price," the staffer said to Hong Kong's Apple Daily.

For consumers facing worsening inflation, an average family has to
increase its budget by at least an equivalent of about a hundred U.S.
dollars each month. A housewife who cooks three meals a day quickly
feels the pressure.

One such victim of inflation is Liang from Guangzhou who has to cook
for a family of six. Just last year, her family could eat heartily for
1,200 yuan (US$180) a month. This year she needs to spend 2,200 yuan
(US$330) per month to maintain the same quality of meals.

Although inflationary pressures are concentrated in certain sectors, it's starting to become a real drag on the economy, and demands policy engineering that revalues the renminbi, and promotes domestic consumption.

#67 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:11 AM

Pete Stark is a dumbass.

#68 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

Pete Stark is a dumbass.

Yes, because a low intelligence quotient is requisite for admission to MIT as an undergraduate, and the University of California, Berkeley as a graduate student. But please expound on your line of thinking, and where did you go to school?

Edited by Rol82, 15 November 2010 - 06:36 AM.

#69 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

<br />

<br />Pete Stark is a dumbass.<br />

<br />Yes, because a low intelligence quotient is requisite for admission to MIT as an undergraduate, and the University of California, Berkeley as a graduate student.  But please expound on your line of thinking, and where did you go to school?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

So the only smart thing he's ever done was over 50 years ago then?

#70 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

The guy is a stupid crybaby.

#71 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

I can always depend on you to elevate the level of discourse.

#72 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

He cries frequently, what else can I say. I suspect the people that vote for him don't even know who he is.

Edited by cathological, 15 November 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#73 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

He cries frequently, what else can I say. I suspect the people that vote for him don't even know who he is.

Yes, you're right, voters must be voting for him blindly.

#74 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:16 AM

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />The guy is a stupid crybaby.<br />

<br /><br />I can always depend on you to elevate the level of discourse.<br />

<br /><br />He cries frequently, what else can I say. I suspect the people that vote for him don't even know who he is.<br />

<br /><br />Yes, you're right, voters must be voting for him blindly.<br />

They see his name on the ballot and that he's a democrat, that's about it.

#75 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />The guy is a stupid crybaby.<br />

<br /><br />I can always depend on you to elevate the level of discourse.<br />

<br /><br />He cries frequently, what else can I say. I suspect the people that vote for him don't even know who he is.<br />

<br /><br />Yes, you're right, voters must be voting for him blindly.<br />

They see his name on the ballot and that he's a democrat, that's about it.

As should be clear, I was objectively discussing the relative intelligence of representatives (and other qualities), and not making political endorsements---because Cantor and Schiff would be pretty big contrasts indeed. So if you want to enter into a polemical debate about Stark, try elsewhere. But others and I still find him to be quite intelligent either publicly and privately, which was the point I was attempting to make.

#76 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

Alright fair enough. he's no Hank Johnson I'll grant you that.

#77 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

China has a GDP of 4.33 trillion, and assuming that their 30 year average is sustained, which doesn't seem likely, it would require at least 25 years to surpass us if our economy was frozen.

Or 2 years

http://blogs.telegra...thin-two-years/

#78 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

China has a GDP of 4.33 trillion, and assuming that their 30 year average is sustained, which doesn't seem likely, it would require at least 25 years to surpass us if our economy was frozen.

Or 2 years

http://blogs.telegra...thin-two-years/

Measuring China's actual GDP is a tricky subject, but I definitely want to cultivate it here. However, before doing so, I want to see what the literature says about the subject, and determine if my present position warrants revision.

#79 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Now I can agree with your criticism of a system that incentivizes home ownership at the expense of other options, and without regard to commercial and residential asset prices, the level of household debt, and future macroeconomic conditions would be highly ill-advised. But I would hardly go as far as saying that in conditions of a 30% drop in residential prices, that residential assets are overvalued. What we're seeing is a panicked market, that's made worse by the rate of foreclosure, the number of underwater mortgages, the rate of delinquency, low private sector confidence, the level of household debt, unfavorable macroeconomic conditions, and an unnaturally low level of demand. With these conditions, the behavior of households is being driven by the rational belief that market conditions are unnatural, and that to prematurely foreclose would risk the incurring of a greater economic cost. A federal intervention in markets is requisite for incentivizing a renegotiation of the terms of outstanding and delinquent mortgages, so innocents that happen to be in the same municipality or neighborhood are spared, and to facilitate a market stabilization. The alternative of self-correction would risk a great societal cost, see the economic history of Japan for instance, and the 80% decline in Tokyo real estate prices. Public resistance to these requisite measures, and the consequentially weak fiscal response, are some of the leading explanations of why the market has yet to recover. And like it or not, in the absence of private sector equivalents (where's Mozilo when you need him?), government sponsored enterprises have prevented a drop in asset prices that might have been similar to what was experienced in Japan during the late 80s, and much of the 90s. So the picture is much more complicated than being driven by a basis of an ostensible federal creation of market distortions.

http://dallasfed.org...010/el1014.html

The fact that many mortgage holders have negative equity in their homes stymies modification efforts. In the case of HAMP, the cost of carrying a house must be reduced to 31 percent of the owner's pretax income. Even if permanent modification is achieved, adding other debt payments to arrive at a total debt-to-income ratio boosts the average participant's debt burden to 63.4 percent of income. In many cases, the financial innovations of the credit boom era, enabling owners to monetize home equity, encouraged high aggregate debt.
With nearly half of total bank assets backed by real estate, both homeowners on the cusp of negative equity and the banking system as a whole remain concerned amid the resumption of home price declines. This unease highlights the housing market's fragility and suggests there may be no pain-free path to the eventual righting of the market. No perfect solution to the housing crisis exists. The latest price declines will undoubtedly cause more economic dislocation. As the crisis enters its fifth year, uncertainty is as prevalent as ever and continues to hinder a more robust economic recovery. Given that time has not proven beneficial in rendering pricing clarity, allowing the market to clear may be the path of least distress.

Attached Files

Edited by rwac, 24 December 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#80 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Now I can agree with your criticism of a system that incentivizes home ownership at the expense of other options, and without regard to commercial and residential asset prices, the level of household debt, and future macroeconomic conditions would be highly ill-advised. But I would hardly go as far as saying that in conditions of a 30% drop in residential prices, that residential assets are overvalued. What we're seeing is a panicked market, that's made worse by the rate of foreclosure, the number of underwater mortgages, the rate of delinquency, low private sector confidence, the level of household debt, unfavorable macroeconomic conditions, and an unnaturally low level of demand. With these conditions, the behavior of households is being driven by the rational belief that market conditions are unnatural, and that to prematurely foreclose would risk the incurring of a greater economic cost. A federal intervention in markets is requisite for incentivizing a renegotiation of the terms of outstanding and delinquent mortgages, so innocents that happen to be in the same municipality or neighborhood are spared, and to facilitate a market stabilization. The alternative of self-correction would risk a great societal cost, see the economic history of Japan for instance, and the 80% decline in Tokyo real estate prices. Public resistance to these requisite measures, and the consequentially weak fiscal response, are some of the leading explanations of why the market has yet to recover. And like it or not, in the absence of private sector equivalents (where's Mozilo when you need him?), government sponsored enterprises have prevented a drop in asset prices that might have been similar to what was experienced in Japan during the late 80s, and much of the 90s. So the picture is much more complicated than being driven by a basis of an ostensible federal creation of market distortions.

http://dallasfed.org...010/el1014.html

The fact that many mortgage holders have negative equity in their homes stymies modification efforts. In the case of HAMP, the cost of carrying a house must be reduced to 31 percent of the owner's pretax income. Even if permanent modification is achieved, adding other debt payments to arrive at a total debt-to-income ratio boosts the average participant's debt burden to 63.4 percent of income. In many cases, the financial innovations of the credit boom era, enabling owners to monetize home equity, encouraged high aggregate debt.
With nearly half of total bank assets backed by real estate, both homeowners on the cusp of negative equity and the banking system as a whole remain concerned amid the resumption of home price declines. This unease highlights the housing market's fragility and suggests there may be no pain-free path to the eventual righting of the market. No perfect solution to the housing crisis exists. The latest price declines will undoubtedly cause more economic dislocation. As the crisis enters its fifth year, uncertainty is as prevalent as ever and continues to hinder a more robust economic recovery. Given that time has not proven beneficial in rendering pricing clarity, allowing the market to clear may be the path of least distress.

Since it's Christmas Eve, you'll have to wait a few days before I meaningfully respond, but in general, I'm a bit wary of the Dallas, Richmond, Atlanta, and Kansas City Federal Reserve banks. However, the amount of willpower among policymakers at this point does make a larger federal intervention seem somewhat dubious. Anyway, happy holidays in Colorado---I'd certainly much rather be in Aspen today!

Edited by Rol82, 24 December 2010 - 05:54 PM.

• dislike x 1

#81 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Since it's Christmas Eve, you'll have to wait a few days before I meaningfully respond, but in general, I'm a bit wary of the Dallas, Richmond, Atlanta, and Kansas City Federal Reserve banks. However, the amount of willpower among policymakers at this point does make a larger federal intervention seem somewhat dubious. Anyway, happy holidays in Colorado---I'd certainly much rather be in Aspen today!

I didn't know there was a difference between the various federal reserve banks.

Merry Christmas!

I would be in Aspen too if I could!

Edited by rwac, 24 December 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#82 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

I didn't know there was a difference between the various federal reserve banks.

Merry Christmas!

I would be in Aspen too if I could!

Yeah, they each have opinionated presidents with a role in monetary decisions, and the Dallas Fed has the reputation for being the most hawkish. But they're all still very accomplished, and in spite of policy differences, I hold them all in high esteem.

Edited by Rol82, 24 December 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#83 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Actually the biggest single reason we are a debtor nation to China goes directly back to Bush Tax Cuts combined with the Iraq War and predates the economic crash but is severely exacerbated by it. The housing market bubble burst was as inevitable as night and definitely contributed to making a bad situation worse but was not the primary cause of events, nor what is making it hardest to get out of the mess we are in.

Bush goes into history for one decidedly unprecedented and possibly the most disastrous economic decision in history. There is no example of a nation both going to war and cutting taxes ever. We began two wars and Bush both cut taxes and prevented the draft to help keep the decision to go to war politically viable. Not even the Romans were this dumb.

This unprecedented move forced this country into numerous and repeated special funding allocations for the war to the tune of sometimes tens of billions of dollars a month which went directly to both deficit spending AND the national debt in the form of the biggest unfunded mandates in history. We didn't budget them and we didn't charge taxpayers for the war. To meet our expenses we began selling our T-Bills and long term bonds to China at an incredible rate and China essentially encouraged us to become a debtor nation to it and bankrupt ourselves with a disastrous war policy.

Whether you agree with Stieglitz and his 3 trillion dollar estimate or stand blindly behind the most conservative estimates of no less than a trillion dollars for just the Iraq war to date, it must be recognized that these expenses were incurred 'OFF the BOOKS,' in an unbudgeted fashion; essentially a theft from the treasury sanctioned by both the Republican and Democratic Congresses. This was both the largest deficit spending spree in the nation's history and the fastest increase in both real and per capita national debt to date.

There is no single economic factor that comes even close to this including and especially the issue of the FHA and Fanny Mae. Add in Sally Mae and combined their numbers are still small change in comparison. We are still paying those bills and will be for decades to come, even as the debt burden and expanse of these wars grow. Those debt sources (Fanny, Freddie, Sally etc) were generally accounted for (budgeted) and spread out over decades.

Derivatives however contributed far more to the excessive short term debt to cash situation that actually triggered the market collapse and the government didn't invent derivatives, the private sector did after being deregulated under Clinton.

Now we are paying to repair the disastrous strategic and tactical errors of the Bush Administration to abandon Afghanistan and go into Iraq in the first place and all of this is being essentially funded by the Chinese who treat us like a drunk, gambling addicted, wealthy scion, who is blindly convinced his luck is about to turn. The same kind of addicted fool who will steal from his children to keep getting his fix and pursue his blind belief that to simply keep doing what he has been doing will somehow create a different outcome.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 24 December 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#84 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

Actually the biggest single reason we are a debtor nation to China goes directly back to Bush Tax Cuts combined with the Iraq War and predates the economic crash but is severely exacerbated by it. The housing market bubble burst was as inevitable as night and definitely contributed to making a bad situation worse but was not the primary cause of events, nor what is making it hardest to get out of the mess we are in.

Bush goes into history for one decidedly unprecedented and possibly the most disastrous economic decision in history. There is no example of a nation both going to war and cutting taxes ever. We began two wars and Bush both cut taxes and prevented the draft to help keep the decision to go to war politically viable. Not even the Romans were this dumb.

This unprecedented move forced this country into numerous and repeated special funding allocations for the war to the tune of sometimes tens of billions of dollars a month which went directly to both deficit spending AND the national debt in the form of the biggest unfunded mandates in history. We didn't budget them and we didn't charge taxpayers for the war. To meet our expenses we began selling our T-Bills and long term bonds to China at an incredible rate and China essentially encouraged us to become a debtor nation to it and bankrupt ourselves with a disastrous war policy.

Whether you agree with Stieglitz and his 3 trillion dollar estimate or stand blindly behind the most conservative estimates of no less than a trillion dollars for just the Iraq war to date, it must be recognized that these expense were incurred OFF the BOOKS in an unbudgeted fashion, essentially a theft from the treasury sanctioned by both the Republican and Democratic Congresses. This was both the largest deficit spending spree in the nation's history and the fastest increase in both real and per capita national debt to date.

There is no single economic factor that comes even close to this including and especially the issue of the FHA and Fanny Mae. Add in Sally Mae and combined their numbers are still small change in comparison. We are still paying those bills and will be for decades to come, even as the debt burden and expanse of these wars grow. Those debt sources (Fanny, Freddie, Sally etc) were generally accounted for (budgeted) and spread out over decades.

Derivatives however contributed far more to the excessive short term debt to cash situation that actually triggered the market collapse and the government didn't invent derivatives, the private sector did after being deregulated under Clinton.

Now we are paying to repair the disastrous strategic and tactical errors of the Bush Administration to abandon Afghanistan and go into Iraq in the first place and all of this is being essentially funded by the Chinese who treat us like a drunk, gambling addicted, wealthy scion, who is blindly convinced his luck is about to turn. The same kind of addicted fool who will steal from his children to keep getting his fix and pursue his blind belief that to simply keep doing what he has been doing will somehow create a different outcome.

Read a Congressional Budget Office report for a change, because the variables that you point to only accounts for approximately 4.5 trillion in lost revenue or appropriations for a period of ten years. And at present, China owns around 850 billion of the outstanding public debt. What really hurt was the recession provoked loss of federal revenue. Indeed, when an annual deficit of 1.2% of GDP in 2007 is transformed into a 9.9% deficit in 2009, clearly something else is to blame, and it's called a recession.

Edited by Rol82, 24 December 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#85 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:07 AM

Anyway, based on accounts of reputation that have been either personally conveyed or learned from other sources, I think it might be fun to do a "most" and "least" list of legislators.

Most Intelligent Republicans: Richard Lugar, Judd Gregg, Lamar Alexander, Eric Cantor, and the former representatives Heather Wilson and Jim Leach.
Most Intelligent Democrats: Barney Frank, Russ Feingold, John Spratt, Pete Stark, Adam Schiff, Jack Reed, Jeff Bingaman, and Arlen Specter.
Least Intelligent Democrats: Jon Tester, Mark Pryor, Mark Begich, Maxine Waters, and James Clyburn (I hate myself for admitting this, though, because he's still a great man).
Least Intelligent Republicans: Jim Bunning, Kay Hagen, Joe Barton, Jim Inhofe, and Tom Coburn.
Most Popular Republican (among colleagues): Orrin Hatch, Lindsay Graham, John McCain, Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor, and John Thune.
Most Popular Democrat (among colleagues): Barbara Boxer, Al Franken, Richard Durbin, Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, James Clyburn, Edward Markey, Henry Waxman, Barney Frank, John Kerry, and the Udalls.
Least Popular Democrats: Ben Nelson, Roland Burris, Charles Rangel (at least now), and Barbara Mikulski.
Most Corrupt and Unethical Democrats: Roland Burris, Charlie Rangel, and Maxine Waters (she's also the most insufferable).
Best Republican Consensus Builders: Mitch McConnell, Eric Cantor, John McCain, and Paul Ryan.
Best Democratic Consensus Builders: Harry Reid, Charles Schumer, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, and Barney Frank.

Caveat: I'm probably leaving out a number of candidates, but the aforementioned are those that come immediately to mind.

The Washingtonian does a yearly (I think) survey to congressional/senate aids on things like this. Here's one from 2008
http://www.washingto...mment/9097.html

Read a Congressional Budget Office report for a change, because the variables that you point to only accounts for approximately 4.5 trillion in lost revenue or appropriations for a period of ten years. And at present, China owns around 850 billion of the outstanding public debt. What really hurt was the recession provoked loss of federal revenue. Indeed, when an annual deficit of 1.2% of GDP in 2007 is transformed into a 9.9% deficit in 2009, clearly something else is to blame, and it's called a recession.

Thank you for pointing that out, as many people seem to either ignore that part of the deficit completely or its magnitude. Whether or not this should have warranted a much larger stimulus in 2008/09 to get the economy rolling again (and thus increase tax revenues) is a more interesting question than what the cause of the deficits are, which are pretty well known to people who have not let their partisan leanings turn into partisan blinders.

Edited by DairyProducts, 27 December 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#86 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

The Washingtonian does a yearly (I think) survey to congressional/senate aids on things like this. Here's one from 2008
http://www.washingto...mment/9097.html

Thank you for pointing that out, as many people seem to either ignore that part of the deficit completely or its magnitude. Whether or not this should have warranted a much larger stimulus in 2008/09 to get the economy rolling again (and thus increase tax revenues) is a more interesting question than what the cause of the deficits are, which are pretty well known to people who have not let their partisan leanings turn into partisan blinders.

Yeah, my list was inspired by the Washingtonian, but in this case, not consulted, since I was relying on the anecdotes and reflections from some friends and acquaintances, and my own personal observations----although I had the good fortune of not serving as a Congressional whore, which might have been more helpful in this instance. But come to think of it, a great number of us, during our dreadful stretches as interns and research assistants, were whores to some degree. Maybe whore is describing this former occupation too generously?

As for the notion of stimulus spending, I think the Keynesian approach is theoretically and empirically sound, but often poorly implemented and selectively adhered to due to the obstacles that arise in domestic policy making. And I'm somewhat incredulous about the multiplier effect that some attribute to fiscal austerity and tax cuts targeting certain income brackets, but I won't go as far as saying that the effects are regressive or unworthy of consideration. Because they certainly have some stimulatory effect, either through their influence on market confidence or consumer spending, but in severe cyclical downturns, are never sufficient to protect against the decline in aggregate demand. In such moments of market stress, all viable tools at the disposal of policymakers should be used, but the proper balance is still a matter of debate, and I have the intellectual honesty to say that I'm not absolutely certain of what the best approach is during these periods in the cycle. An example of what is quite disconcerting, though, is the suggestion that the remarkable economic success of the 90s was due in large part to the fiscal posture of the Clinton administration and Congress, and the conducting of the so-called "Maestro." But in truth, it's difficult to quantify the relative weight of policy measures, since we really haven't arrived at a level of sophistication in quantitative science to deliver estimates that would survive high levels of scrutiny, making the field somewhat abstract and uncertain. However, I'm inclined to believe that there is enough qualitative and quantitative evidence to validate the public investment school, and that the public investment that began in earnest, and continued at peace time levels is deserving of the greatest causative credit.

Ever since I was a young school boy, I was fascinated by statistics. I memorized them, regurgitated them with exception, and have had an abiding faith in their integrity, perhaps now more than ever. So as you can imagine, the non-partisan, and quantitative methodology of organizations like the Congressional Budget Office is held especially in high regard. Separately, my skepticism of the quality of information emanating from news organizations is growing with each year. I certainly admire their efforts, but the resulting analyses seem to be frequently distorted by confounding components of human behavior, and most importantly in this regard, the stress of rationalizing an increasingly overwhelming stream of information. To cope with this burden, theories that have a basis in logic and human experience, and salient memories of the history of individual and collective experience are used as devices, but their explanatory power varies by case, and in my opinion, are not nearly as reliable and dispassionate as data that's measured aggregately. So when given the choice between data tables in a CBO report and Paul Krugman, I have greater faith in the former---even though I hold journalists that produce pieces with a basis in quantitative data in very high esteem. But my attitude assumes, of course, that my own interpretations are without bias, and that the methodologies employed are unimpeachable. So my confidence, I suppose, is stemming from my faith in my own sense of objectivity---which is imperfect, but I wouldn't, like others, equate this to apathy---and the objectivity of the authors that I carefully select and trust.

Edited by Rol82, 15 January 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#87 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Ever since I was a young school boy, I was fascinated by statistics. I memorized them, regurgitated them with exception, and have had an abiding faith in their integrity, perhaps now more than ever. So as you can imagine, the non-partisan, and quantitative methodology of organizations like the Congressional Budget Office is held especially in high regard. Separately, my skepticism of the quality of information emanating from news organizations is growing with each year. I certainly admire their efforts, but the resulting analyses seem to be frequently distorted by confounding components of human behavior, and most importantly in this regard, the stress of rationalizing an increasingly overwhelming stream of information. To cope with this burden, theories that have a basis in logic and human experience, and salient memories of the history of individual and collective experience are used as devices, but their explanatory power varies by case, and in my opinion, are not nearly as reliable and dispassionate as data that's measured aggregately. So when given the choice between data tables in a CBO report and Paul Krugman, I have greater faith in the former---even though I hold journalists that produce pieces with a basis in quantitative data in very high esteem. But my attitude assumes, of course, that my own interpretations are without bias, and that the methodologies employed are unimpeachable. So my confidence, I suppose, is stemming from my faith in my own sense of objectivity---which is imperfect, but I wouldn't, like others, equate this to apathy---and the objectivity of the authors that I carefully select and trust.

Recently, I was alarmed by a friend of mine who works at a think tank in D.C.. He told me that out of all of the federal and non-profit organizations in the DC area, only four he could think of used anything near rigorous statistical calculations when whipping up a new policy or critiquing one. I the ones I could remember are the CBO, some place in the social security office, and some part of the Brookings Institute. I hope he is wrong about that, that does not appear to make much sense to me. Given how much money is at stake with some policies, I'm surprised that some lobbying groups are not putting out hard statistics to back up their proposals. Is it all really based on rhetoric out there? Are all the good statisticians working elsewhere?

#88 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

Recently, I was alarmed by a friend of mine who works at a think tank in D.C.. He told me that out of all of the federal and non-profit organizations in the DC area, only four he could think of used anything near rigorous statistical calculations when whipping up a new policy or critiquing one. I the ones I could remember are the CBO, some place in the social security office, and some part of the Brookings Institute. I hope he is wrong about that, that does not appear to make much sense to me. Given how much money is at stake with some policies, I'm surprised that some lobbying groups are not putting out hard statistics to back up their proposals. Is it all really based on rhetoric out there? Are all the good statisticians working elsewhere?

This may or may not be something to worry about. Rigorous statistics don't mean squat if the data is irrelevant. The best statistician may not have a clue about the data, and might produce a ridiculous result. I would rather put my trust in people who truly understand the data, since generally speaking, the statistics that are needed to analyze the data aren't usually beyond the ken of an intelligent PhD who has had more than a few math courses, even if he or she isn't a professional statistician. Frankly, a lot of times they aren't beyond the ken of a half way intelligent sophomore. Anyway, I think your friend might indeed be wrong on that, as I know of at least one other place in the government where advanced analysis is used; the USDA. That's just because I have a friend there. I'm pretty sure there are more; probably lots more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users