Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Countering Over Stimulating Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have tried several medications/supplements to improve cognitive functioning - concentration, retention, focus etc. The ones that have had the most effect are Welbutrin, Adderall and Lions Mane. The problem with these meds/sups is that they tend to make it hard for me to sleep. I either have to take a Xanax to fall asleep or I need to take them less frequently. Obviously neither solution works very well. Are there any supplements I can take that would counter the stimulating effects of these drugs so that I can sleep at night - something I can take at night. I read that Clonidine is somethings prescribed with Adderall for that purpose. The only problem is that Clonidine can affect blood pressure and I am worried about the longterm effects. I don't have health problems and I don't want to create any. I really need to take meds/sups to help with my concentration problems I just wish they did not affect my sleep so much.

By the way, I am new to this board and was unaware of the other supplements mentioned that many of you use for improved brain functioning. I am very glad I found this board.

Thank you

#2 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

My first recommendation would be clonidine or guanfacine (alpha-2 agonists). They'll reduce heart rate, blood pressure and SNS activity. You can also try something like melatonin, Lyrica and Ambien.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Spectre

• 208 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Well I don't know about counteracting Adderall's effects, but Caffeine jitterness and overstimulation is easily countered by Theanine, which is in Green Tea (you can get Theanine in bulk powder form online). It should help with the restlessness you get from the stimulants, you could also try supplementing with GABA powder as well.

#4 Georgina

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Well I don't know about counteracting Adderall's effects, but Caffeine jitterness and overstimulation is easily countered by Theanine, which is in Green Tea (you can get Theanine in bulk powder form online). It should help with the restlessness you get from the stimulants, you could also try supplementing with GABA powder as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered a Theanine supplement which happens to contain GABA. I will see how it works. Adderall is very helpful but I guess I am very sensitive to amphetimines. No matter how early I take it I find it difficult to sleep at night. I really hope I can find something to counter its effect so I can keep taking it.

#5 Georgina

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

My first recommendation would be clonidine or guanfacine (alpha-2 agonists). They'll reduce heart rate, blood pressure and SNS activity. You can also try something like melatonin, Lyrica and Ambien.

Thank you for the recomendations. I tried melatonin in a long time but did not like it. Ambien might be an option but my problem is over stimulation. Not sure if a sleeping aid would help with this. Clonidine is an option espeically since it is being prescribed off lable for countering these ADD drugs. I am concerned though about using Clonidine for any extended period of time. Same with Lyrica. Have you taken any of these?

#6 SucubbusLT

• 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

You are taking Adderal and Wellbutrin, both of them act on dopamine. No wonder you can't sleep, you are overstimulated. I would recomend choosing only one of them or reducing their dosages. To add another drug to reduce stimulation, i don't think that will work in long term, overstimulation will bring you down in other ways than sleep.

#7 Georgina

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

You are taking Adderal and Wellbutrin, both of them act on dopamine. No wonder you can't sleep, you are overstimulated. I would recomend choosing only one of them or reducing their dosages. To add another drug to reduce stimulation, i don't think that will work in long term, overstimulation will bring you down in other ways than sleep.

I actually took Wellburtin first, stopped taking it and then started Adderall. I have never taken them together. My doctor told me I could take one or the other but not both (I think if you take them together they can cause seizures). I experienced sleep problems with both medicaitons taken separately.

#8 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

Bacopa is the most sedating thing I've tried so give that a shot. Give it a while and you'll be sleeping like you're comatose. The cognitive benefits are pretty awesome too even though you'll have to wait 12 weeks or so for them to manifest themselves. Plenty of threads here on Imminst about it so do a search.

#9 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Thank you for the recomendations. I tried melatonin in a long time but did not like it. Ambien might be an option but my problem is over stimulation. Not sure if a sleeping aid would help with this. Clonidine is an option espeically since it is being prescribed off lable for countering these ADD drugs. I am concerned though about using Clonidine for any extended period of time. Same with Lyrica. Have you taken any of these?

A 10 kg comforter gets me to sleep every night, it helps tremendously. Besides that, clonidine the alpha-2-agonist is definitely sedating, but take it like 2-3 hours before bedtime, YMMV. Lyrica definitely also helps, but more-so with sleep quality (best sleep I've ever experienced, as far as I can recall) than actual sedation, again, YMMV.

Best of luck.

#10 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Bacopa is the most sedating thing I've tried so give that a shot. Give it a while and you'll be sleeping like you're comatose. The cognitive benefits are pretty awesome too even though you'll have to wait 12 weeks or so for them to manifest themselves. Plenty of threads here on Imminst about it so do a search.

Interesting. I never found Bacopa distinctly sedating, but a distinct brain-fog and worsened sleep quality is what I experienced. Another testament to the fact that our individual brain chemistry is significantly different.

#11 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

I actually took Wellburtin first, stopped taking it and then started Adderall. I have never taken them together. My doctor told me I could take one or the other but not both (I think if you take them together they can cause seizures). I experienced sleep problems with both medicaitons taken separately.

You sound a bit like me, as it seems you tend to go to the hyperstimulated part of the spectrum, rather than the hypostimulated, but of course I could be wrong. That said, I definitely found clonidine helpful, it's amazingly sedating to me. It would also be helpful for Wellbutrin I can imagine. And in terms of long-term safety, I'm not sure there is any data out there, but reducing sympathetic output doesn't seem like a liable reason for concern, unless you have hypotension already. That said, reducing your Adderall dosage can help, and not smoking (if you do that) as well as not drinking coffee should help. The combo is just too stimulating, and gives me insane insomnia, and I can imagine the same thing goes in your case. If you drink coffee, be sure to dose in the morning, or don't dose at all. And limit smoking near the evening.

I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by kassem23, 25 November 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#12 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Things that work for to level me out when I'm over stimmed.
L-thenine 8000mg three times daily
Ashwangda 600 mg twice daily
Fluxtine 80 mg
Bacopa 200 mg
Seal lion oil DHA epa 300 mg
&
Coconut Oil 100mg

Try that cocktail see if it help? :excl:

Edited by Ark, 25 November 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#13 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

Taurine

#14 Georgina

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Things that work for to level me out when I'm over stimmed.
L-thenine 8000mg three times daily
Ashwangda 600 mg twice daily
Fluxtine 80 mg
Bacopa 200 mg
Seal lion oil DHA epa 300 mg
&
Coconut Oil 100mg

Try that cocktail see if it help? :excl:

Seal lion oil - do they actually sell this. I have never heard of it (the oil that is).

Looks like a good list. I just started taking Bacopa but have not tried the others. Is L-thenine the same as L-theanine? I just started taking the latter with GABA. Why Coconut oil? I will try it but have never heard of the benefits of consuming it (other than in cooking).

Thanks for the suggestions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

I'll vouch again for clonidine. Don't expect it to cause health problems unless your blood pressure is naturally very low. If your blood pressure is naturally low (as opposed to very low) then clonidine will be safe. If your blood pressure is naturally medium or high, clonidine will decrease your risk of heart disease over the long term.

L-thenine is a misspelling of l-theanine. (No offense Ark. Though for the record, you also got fluoxetine and Ashwagandha wrong. Sorry.)

GABA is not particularly helpful when taken orally. It gets broken down before it reaches the brain.

Have you been evaluated for sleep apnea? It can severely impact sleep quality, and some people have it for decades before they get diagnosed.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users