Photo
- - - - -

Removing or depleting the need for sex?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 sebr.porte

• 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate section/forums for this kind of discussion however I taught it would be appropriate seeing as many members of IMMINST know their way around medical science and health.

My request is simple, I need to compile a list of ways (be it through the intake of medication or surgical procedures) to remove or deplete a person's need for sex. Libido, or "hornyness" if you will. And what consequences/side-effects would an effective treatment carry?

I've heard there is medication (pills) that is known to reduce libido, but that's according to what I read alone. I've also recall something known as "chemical castration", but that's mainly used as a punishment for pedophiles in a few countries.

#2 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:48 AM

EDIT: Never mind. OP wasn't looking for that type of thread, I guess. Deleted.

Edited by Elus, 15 November 2010 - 07:36 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:04 AM

Most people use antidepressants, which chemically induce a reduction in unwanted impulsive behaviors. The problem can also be exacerbated by social isolation, which is frequently a source, so I have to ask, are you getting out enough? Being social and taking chances is possibly a more reliable, and less costly choice.

Edited by Rol82, 15 November 2010 - 02:10 AM.

#4 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate section/forums for this kind of discussion however I taught it would be appropriate seeing as many members of IMMINST know their way around medical science and health.

My request is simple, I need to compile a list of ways (be it through the intake of medication or surgical procedures) to remove or deplete a person's need for sex. Libido, or "hornyness" if you will. And what consequences/side-effects would an effective treatment carry?

I've heard there is medication (pills) that is known to reduce libido, but that's according to what I read alone. I've also recall something known as "chemical castration", but that's mainly used as a punishment for pedophiles in a few countries.

This is exactly what I wanted. I really couldn't care less for this pointless urge to procreate - it's just distracting and irritating. I made a thread about it: http://www.imminst.o...ress-sex-drive/

What about being in love and using sex to express that? What about just enjoying a great sexual experience with someone you are compatible with? Sex does not have to just be about creating life. I have to believe there is some kind of social dysfunction or a certain type of an emotional/developmental issue that is keeping people from wanting to engage in sex.

Edited by morganator, 15 November 2010 - 05:42 AM.

#5 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

Most people use antidepressants, which chemically induce a reduction in unwanted impulsive behaviors. The problem can also be exacerbated by social isolation, which is frequently a source, so I have to ask, are you getting out enough? Being social and taking chances is possibly a more reliable, and less costly choice.

I agree with Rol. Something else is usually going on when someone has a problem with their sexual urges.

#6 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

Try this, go to a park, and approach as many appealing women that you can find. Strike up a conversation, and see if you can solicit a phone number. The point of the exercise is not success, because you'll fail more much more than you succeed. But rather, finding an outlet for your sexual energy, and getting over your inhibitions. The late great Albert Ellis personally used this method to get over his shyness, and to find an outlet for his sexual neurosis. At the very least, go to the library, and check out some of his books, because he has some great insights.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

This is exactly what I wanted. I really couldn't care less for this pointless urge to procreate - it's just distracting and irritating. I made a thread about it: http://www.imminst.o...ress-sex-drive/

What about being in love and using sex to express that? What about just enjoying a great sexual experience with someone you are compatible with? Sex does not have to just be about creating life. I have to believe there is some kind of social dysfunction or a certain type of an emotional/developmental issue that is keeping people from wanting to engage in sex.

Yes, seize the day, and have sex just because it feels good. Subjectively, I find that a healthy sex life is correlated with less obsessive thinking.

#8 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

Removing or depleting the need for sex?

I wouldn't normally recommend it but I'll make an exception here: marriage.

#9 sebr.porte

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Edited by sebr.porte, 15 November 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#10 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

Try this, go to a park, and approach as many appealing women that you can find. Strike up a conversation, and see if you can solicit a phone number. The point of the exercise is not success, because you'll fail more much more than you succeed. But rather, finding an outlet for your sexual energy, and getting over your inhibitions. The late great Albert Ellis personally used this method to get over his shyness, and to find an outlet for his sexual neurosis. At the very least, go to the library, and check out some of his books, because he has some great insights.

Or how about this. I go to the park, I sit on the bench and I read a book as I am approached by many appealing women attempting to strike up a conversation and seeing if they can solicit MY phone number.NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.Posted ImageI will not reduce myself to a lowly beggar and please many an attention-glutton who other wise wouldn't even so much as look at me just to ease my sexual energy. I've already payed hundreds of euros to my psychologist so medical intervention remains the only solution to me.

Okay, if you won't try behavioral therapy, then take an antidepressant. It's that simple.

#11 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Or how about this. I go to the park, I sit on the bench and I read a book as I am approached by many appealing women attempting to strike up a conversation and seeing if they can solicit MY phone number.NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.Posted ImageI will not reduce myself to a lowly beggar and please many an attention-glutton who other wise wouldn't even so much as look at me just to ease my sexual energy. I've already payed hundreds of euros to my psychologist so medical intervention remains the only solution to me.

Your perspective is distorted. It's not about begging for phone numbers. It is about overcoming your irrational fears and finding out if the physically attractive woman in front of you seems interesting enough to YOU to want to continue the conversation.

#12 sebr.porte

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Edited by sebr.porte, 15 November 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#13 sebr.porte

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

All my previous posts are removed due to being horribly off-topic. This subject exposes emotions, mostly related to depression and anger, that on other occasions remain oppressed.
Note to self; Keep it between you and the doctor.

I apologize, let's keep on topic.

Okay, if you won't try behavioral therapy, then take an antidepressant. It's that simple.

What kind should I be looking for?

Edited by sebr.porte, 15 November 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#14 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

All my previous posts are removed due to being horribly off-topic. This subject exposes emotions, mostly related to depression and anger, that on other occasions remain oppressed.

I apologize, let's keep on topic.

What kind should I be looking for?

Most start with SSRIs, and then move onto other drug classes in the event of failure or sub-optimal results. It may take time to find the right drug or combination, so you have to be patient.

#15 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

I'm going to be the asshole here: Note to self should be; If I have suppressed anger and depression, I should take more time to examine the causes of this as they may be the reasons for my issue with normal functioning young male libido.

Dude, your covering up symptoms and trying to eliminate things that bother you instead of dealing with and resolving the reasons why you don't like certain parts of yourself. If you want a good life, start dealing with reality, get some good outgoing friends, and learn to enjoy everything that life has given you.

#16 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

Don't erase your posts, they reveal why it is that you want to do what you want to do-self loathing, internalized anger, and low self esteem/self image. The way you react to here is not off topic.

#17 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

You need to find a way to have a one night stand with some drunk skank. Or some other situation where they wont be trying to socialize too much and all that garbage which is what you're really trying to avoid. Given the right situation believe it or not girls will be hitting on you.

#18 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:52 AM

For kicks, I tried Ellis's park method myself once, and I managed to get four numbers (but about 30 rejections). Interestingly, a lot of the married women seemed privately to be on the fence, and I wonder what would've happened if I was more persistent? Anyway, it doesn't need to be a painful process as long as you're not trite, dull, and if you conceal your agenda well. But also, you just can't allow yourself to be daunted by rejection, because even the best barely manage a .200 batting average, and who hasn't experienced the equivalent of having a drink being thrown in their face?

I have my eccentricities, will often create polarized feelings (very love-hate), could be in better shape, tend to be deeply opinionated, am unabashedly arrogant, can be disdainful of views that I find intellectually troubling, may be more cynical than most people are used to, and can be quite undiplomatic. But I'm also perceptive, confident, empathetic, passionate, exciting to be around, provocative, cerebral, daring, a generally stark contrast, and pay little heed to failure---which is my most important virtue in this regard. So you have to learn to capitalize on your best qualities, and accept that our romantic narratives are dominated more by failure than success. Although you may struggle at first---because everyone contends with apprehension and self-doubt---you will likely become more desensitized to these thoughts over time.

Edited by Rol82, 16 November 2010 - 10:53 PM.

#19 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

For kicks, I tried Ellis's park method myself once, and I managed to get four numbers (but about 30 rejections).

That's awesome.

You gave a lot of good advice, hopefully the OP will take it to heart. It's much easier said than done though. One needs to have a good network of friends and a certain amount of confidence.

Edited by morganator, 16 November 2010 - 05:56 AM.

#20 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

For kicks, I tried Ellis's park method myself once, and I managed to get four numbers (but about 30 rejections).

That's awesome.

You gave a lot of good advice, hopefully the OP will take it to heart. It's much easier said than done though. One needs to have a good network of friends and a certain amount of confidence.

Yeah, everyone should definitely give it a try.

#21 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:03 AM

That's awesome dude.

Edited by morganator, 16 November 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#22 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

That's awesome.

Yeah, everyone should definitely give it a try.

I think they did that on the Apprentice. A friend of mine and I were going to go down to the metro stop in Ballston(Arlington) Va and video tape me dressed in really short running shorts and a wife beater asking girls for numbers. We never did it, but I wish we had.

#23 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:52 AM

#24 sebr.porte

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I don't have a problem with any part of me. I know the biological reasons for male libido. My problem is getting to use that libido for anything other than my right hand. The idea of girls hitting on ME is laughable.

I'm just here to compile ways how current medical intervention can remove libido. I am aware there will be side effects but it would help me out alot =/.

Edited by sebr.porte, 16 November 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#25 cathological

• 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

How old are you? Are you around women much? Try this, get a crappy minimum wage type job at a place where a lot of women will be working. That way you have just surrounded yourself with friendly girls that don't have an overachiever/business attitude. Also there will be nothing awkward about talking to these people on a regular basis as they're your coworkers. It may not work but it will increase your prospects.

#26 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:35 AM

I don't have a problem with any part of me. I know the biological reasons for male libido. My problem is getting to use that libido for anything other than my right hand. The idea of girls hitting on ME is laughable.

I'm just here to compile ways how current medical intervention can remove libido. I am aware there will be side effects but it would help me out alot =/.

Well like I said, most psychiatrists would start with SSRIs to treat obsessive compulsive disorders, which are efficacious, and have a favorable side effect profile. Have you been diagnosed with any disorder before? If you want to keep this private, feel free to send a message to my inbox. In addition to drug therapy, I would highly suggest that you continue behavioral therapy, because it's evident that you have some serious self-esteem issues.

I've been told that I'm rather perceptive, and from what I can tell, there are no grounds for the extent of your self-loathing. You seem to be a smart, witty, and reflective fellow that I wouldn't mind sharing a drink, and enjoying a few games of billiards with on a Friday. And there are plenty of women that will undoubtedly feel the same, but their sentiments will have a likely romantic quality. The epidemiological data on your symptoms suggest that the incidence is higher than popularly thought---incidentally, having OCD is not without its benefits, since it's correlated with a higher intelligence quotient. So accentuate the positive, because this sort of self-depreciating thinking is empirically, and functionally related to symptom severity. I know your symptoms must be taxing, but you can't allow your illness, and your irrationally dark thoughts to govern your life. Instead, summon all of your energy to be channeled towards positive thinking, outdoor activities, being social, taking chances, and tapping into your innate lust for life. But as a supplement to this thinking, seek medical treatment if possible, which will work if you maintain an open mind, and moderate your expectations for immediate relief---no such therapy has such an effect, and there is no panacea treatment. There are costs to any endeavor, and pharmacological therapy is no different, but the costs of continuing without such a treatment is a far more costly alternative.

As for the problem with masturbation, you could also try the following: place a rubber band around your wrist, and every time you feel the impulse to masturbate, snap yourself with the rubber band continuously, and try to force yourself to think about topics that you find captivating---topics that animate you, and give you a reason for being. Over time, this therapy may lead to an appreciable reduction of the urge to masturbate. But abstinence is certainly not a healthy option, because besides it being a deviation from our nature, the evidence suggests that the practice leads to deleterious effects. At the same time, though, set limits to your indulgence of lower forms of pleasure, and embrace the higher forms of pleasure. A friend's nice summary of John Stuart Mill's take on pleasure: http://skepticalphil...es-in-mill.html

A side question: which Qala are you from? Almost certainly Malta, right?

Edited by Rol82, 18 November 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#27 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

Rol gave you some very good advice. It may not all be easy to follow through with, but you will be grateful you did in the end.

Do you have a problem with masturbation? If you do, is it religious in nature? Or do you just feel that you do it too often and it gets in the way? If this is the case, try to do what Rol said. Also, from my experience, masturbation does not take up much time, so it should not interfere much or at all with living a productive life.

Sorry if you take offense to this, but I find it hard to believe that you don't have a problem with any part of you. You are still very young, usually denial is at it's strongest the younger we are. As you get older your eyes may open wider. Or, if you make a conscious effort to stop shielding yourself from the dark places in you, you may start seeing the reality of things now, and, if you do, you will be much better off in the long run.

Edited by morganator, 17 November 2010 - 04:53 AM.

#28 sebr.porte

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:56 AM

How old are you? Are you around women much? Try this, get a crappy minimum wage type job at a place where a lot of women will be working. That way you have just surrounded yourself with friendly girls that don't have an overachiever/business attitude. Also there will be nothing awkward about talking to these people on a regular basis as they're your coworkers. It may not work but it will increase your prospects.

Sorry for the late response. To answer your questions. 20 and not much. I am not going from a decent MW job to another MW job just to pick up chicks the same way I wouldn't move out of my nice house to a small apartment for anything equally obscure. It's not viable.

Well like I said, most psychiatrists would start with SSRIs to treat obsessive compulsive disorders, which are efficacious, and have a favorable side effect profile. Have you been diagnosed with any disorder before? If you want to keep this private, feel free to send a message to my inbox. In addition to drug therapy, I would highly suggest that you continue behavioral therapy, because it's evident that you have some serious self-esteem issues.

I have been diagnosed with OCD very recently. I can't deny having no self-esteem issues, quite the opposite in fact, but I am certain that they are contributing to but not the root of the problem.I can't believe I have to stress this out but I really have no problem with masturbation. I love it and so does my right hand ;). But I have grown so entirely and positively certain that it will be the closest thing to a sexual (and sensual) experience I will ever come to in my life that thinking about it really depresses me. Which is why I am seeking these anti-libido substances.

Please understand however that I cannot make sense of anything you tell me about women and relationships in general. I've never been in one nor have I ever had any contact with a girl. I don't know how the whole human "mating ritual" works nor do I understand this social cue shit, i'm really better off avoiding it. I'm very much in doubt that any girl would have an interest in me, seeing as I don't rush too meet their every whim like every other guy does.I don't think I can ever approach a girl. Why would I approach someone that never took an interest in me in the first place?

Yes, Qala in Malta.

Edited by sebr.porte, 20 November 2010 - 12:57 AM.

• like x 1

#29 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

You have to be the one to show interest in a girl first unfortunately. A girl will never know if you are charming or interesting unless you make the first move.

Are you in college? If so, is it really that hard to meet other girls?

Do you have a network of friends? Men and Women?

I think I'm beginning to understand your problem much better. I'm sorry man, it is not a good place to be in. I can't help but believe that self esteem is at the root of why you have problems with women. Since you do not think self esteem is at the root, what do you think is? Is it something that was lacking in your relationship with your mother and father? This would be a reason for your low self esteem. Do you think you are unattractive? Do you think you have an uninteresting personality?

Therapy is the only thing that can really help you, especially psychodynamic group therapy. Finding a good group of friends would help too, but you may need therapy to help you get to a place where you can better make the right friends. Even if you have been therapy for several years, you may still need more time there. You also may not have been with the right therapist or you may not have been focusing on and working on the right things. Stick with therapy bro. You seem like a very bright guy, you will make therapy work if you put your mind to it.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#30 bkaz

• 85 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

I've been in a similar state for many years, though no OCD or self-esteem issues, quite the opposite. I agree that women & social life in general is a pathetic waste of time. But, something has to take its place. One word: work. Once you get busy with important stuff (& that takes some conditioning), you won't have worry about libido.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users