• Create Account
L onge C ity       Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why do I seem to benefit from Choline Supplementation ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 christianbber

• 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

I eat a very healthy, well balanced diet which supplements adeqate amounts of choline. Yet when I consume 1g-2g in a day I can notice my speach is better, my thinking is clearer, memory, etc..

Yes from what I read, choline only " supports" healthy cognitive function, it doesn't increase it.

Does this mean my well balanced diet ( which had a lot of eggs in it) didn't have an adequate amount of choline?

I do exercise strenuously 5x a week. Perhaps this behavior severely depleted choline storages ?

Finally, the most important question. Is choline supplementation one of those supplements that you grow tolerant to ?

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:20 AM

Yes from what I read, choline only " supports" healthy cognitive function, it doesn't increase it.

I think I know what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's necessarily true. Supplementing with choline will probably increase acetylcholine. Depending on your diet and brain chemistry, this could make up for a deficit or increase to supraphysiological levels.

Does this mean my well balanced diet ( which had a lot of eggs in it) didn't have an adequate amount of choline?

Not necessarily. Use CRON-O-METER to see how much choline you're actually getting. 1-2g a day is WAY more than an adequate intake (on top of your diet), so you're probably increasing ACh beyond normal levels.

Finally, the most important question. Is choline supplementation one of those supplements that you grow tolerant to ?

Probably. ACh receptors downregulate, so it's unlikely you could sustain higher levels indefinitely without tolerance.

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

How many/day is "a lot of eggs" ?

#4 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:04 AM

Great thank you.

So I should probably just stop supplementing with it.

Don't see a big point in using it if I'm just going to grow a tolerance to it down the road.

#5 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:16 AM

I think you should take a different approach in your thinking here...Choline is a nutrient, much like any other vitamin/mineral. If you like the effects, keep taking it. It's more likely that you have an adaptogenic effect rather than a "tolerance" where you keep needing to take more and more. Your body will simply thrive easier in an environment where it has more of a nutrient that it desires.

#6 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:19 AM

I think you should take a different approach in your thinking here...Choline is a nutrient, much like any other vitamin/mineral. If you like the effects, keep taking it. It's more likely that you have an adaptogenic effect rather than a "tolerance" where you keep needing to take more and more. Your body will simply thrive easier in an environment where it has more of a nutrient that it desires.

adaptogenic effect as in even though choline is working well.....that because I've consumed it over a lenghty duration that the boost cholin gave me is becoming a "norm" ?

That in reality, in a month from now I'll think that I'll tolerant of choline becuase Ive been feeling the same everyday but in reality Im alot better than baseline ?

Sorry if that didnt make sense haha just trying to distinguish what you said.

#7 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

What I mean is that you may be bringing yourself up to baseline levels, allowing your body to achieve a more agreeable homeostasis. If you stop taking choline, your performance will likely go back down, but this is far different from tolerance. My two cents...

#8 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:41 AM

Looking at choline as a nutrient is all well and good, but the effects being describe are more likely ascribable to neurotransmission. In other words, the cognitive effects are likely due to an increased amount of released acetylcholine, relative to the number of receptors adjusted to previous levels. Once he's at a new level of neurotransmitter for X amount of time, receptors and release mechanisms will probably adjust so that the feeling described is no longer as strong. In this sense, it's probably much the same as any other drug, whether it's also a nutrient or not. But even if tolerance develops to some of the effects in some areas of the brain, some of the benefits may not be subject to tolerance, and might still result in a net benefit. This is the case even with substances like amphetamine.

#9 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

Looking at choline as a nutrient is all well and good, but the effects being describe are more likely ascribable to neurotransmission. In other words, the cognitive effects are likely due to an increased amount of released acetylcholine, relative to the number of receptors adjusted to previous levels. Once he's at a new level of neurotransmitter for X amount of time, receptors and release mechanisms will probably adjust so that the feeling described is no longer as strong. In this sense, it's probably much the same as any other drug, whether it's also a nutrient or not. But even if tolerance develops to some of the effects in some areas of the brain, some of the benefits may not be subject to tolerance, and might still result in a net benefit. This is the case even with substances like amphetamine.

great thanks.

I'm curious. I know there is no definitive answer but whats the duration it takes to hit the tolerance level of choline ?

I heard story's about those takin piracetam working at first but after a month or saw negative side effects started becoming more pronounced. Will this happen with Choline ?

My finals are schedule for the week of Dec 21rst. I'm afriad if I start supplementing now, that by the time finals roll around the cognitive benefit ( although a greater "net of" benefit) wouldn't be as good as starting it now.

Thanks.

#10 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

Wait a minute,

Choline content in eggs is close to 300mg.... I just had 6 this morning so now I'm consuming 1.8g of choline just in the morning ?

And if I do this everyday the cognitive benefits will decline ?

I'm going insane over here ! haha Its like everything always has a benefit but down the road it goes away.....

Egss are a natural foundation to a healthy diet correct ? Consumed since the beginning of time ?

#11 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

Choline content in eggs is close to 300mg.... I just had 6 this morning so now I'm consuming 1.8g of choline just in the morning ?

You messed up, 1 large egg has approx 100-125mg of choline, depending on which website you follow.
Eggs are good, unless you have autoimmune issues.

Edited by rwac, 21 November 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#12 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

You messed up, 1 large egg has approx 100-125mg of choline, depending on which website you follow.
Eggs are good, unless you have autoimmune issues.

I got the choline content value from here,

http://www.nal.usda....ine/Choline.pdf

#13 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Look again, It's giving you numbers for 100g of egg.

#14 christianbber

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

Look again, It's giving you numbers for 100g of egg.

crap, missed it Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users