• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

crptography basics

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shalini

• 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

I am new to this field. I have a few questions on cryptography:
1) where all is cryptography used in today's world?
2) In the case of email and e-banking for example, what kind of cryptography is used? How exactly does it work?

#2 leviathans

• 41 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

I am new to this field. I have a few questions on cryptography:
1) where all is cryptography used in today's world?
2) In the case of email and e-banking for example, what kind of cryptography is used? How exactly does it work?

I don't know much about cryptography but I saw the RSA algorithm. It's the most basic and popular cryptography algorithm used primarily in Internet shopping websites.

You can find it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA
Btw, you also need to understand modulo to understand the algorithm : http://en.wikipedia....ular_arithmetic

The idea is that there is a public key and a private key. The idea is that that you can easily encrypt anything with the public key but to be able to decrypt you would need the private key, but to find the private key you need to factorize a number "n"(given in the public key) into its 2 primes numbers. Because they use extremely large prime numbers, finding the 2 primes is extremely lengthy to calculate (in many cases, it could takes multiples years if using brute-force).

Sorry if you knew it already, it's really just the basic algorithm. There must be some more sophisticated algorithms which use random variables now.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users