• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Something to help motivation and concentration?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 trismatic

• 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

Could you suggest good nootropics for motivation and concentration. I can't read even a half of a page without forgetting it already. Frustrating? Anyone with similar problems & help from nootropics? I know about Piracetamin etc, but the reason I'm not getting them is because many of them are prescription drugs over here in Finland. I think I could buy those from inside EU though... but it's risky.

I'm now taking 300mg DMAE, some lecithin, 1g of fish oil, magnesium sitrate and zinc. DMAE doesn't really work and I can't get sleep early when I'm using it. How much does a good sleep effect on concentration btw? I sleep only 5-6 hrs (typical 4-5am -> 8-10am) a night... And I guess some aerobic exercise would be good. But I think I can't get "the flow on" even if I correct these things.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad language. Very nice forum with a lot of info:-)

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

I know for a fact that "IN MY EXPERIENCE", a good diet, supplementation and exercise regimen is crucial to achieving what you want to achieve. HOWEVER, I've since realized that there may be more to the equation. I am now starting to embark on NLP motivation and success programs by Tony Robbins. Will it work? I will let you know after a few weeks :)

I will tell you right now though that Anti-Depressant drugs, Opiates and other illegal drugs may TEMPORARILY give you motivation, but it DOESN'T LAST!!! I'm finally got myself cleaned up from using Tramadol, an opioid/SNRI, prescription drug which made me very motivated at first but left me "content" with having my life fall into shambles and "content" with failing at everything. From my readings, this just isn't for Tramadol with with just about any FAKE, FEEL-GOOD pill.

Good luck to you!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

I have some similar concentration problems. There are a lot of supplements that you can take that do not require a prescription at least not in the United States. I have listed below the supplements I take and which I think have been very helpful.

In addition to supplements you need to look at our diet. Following what we call in the US an anti-inflammatory diet is very important for your brain (and also your heart). There are a number of books out there that detail a typical anti-inflammatory diet. Andrew Weil, who is an American medical doctor and well known for advocating this type of diet, has written several books about it. You might try searching for his books on Amazon.

If I had to pick the most important non prescription supplements for you to take I would say Omega 3 with extra DHA and Lion's Mane. I would take 3 g of a good omega 3 fish oil and add to this 400 mgs of DHA. Lion's mane is very helpful with retention (at least in my experience). I have also recently added Bacopa Monniera to the supps I take. It seems promising but takes a couple of months for the full effects to kick in. It is supposed to be good for memory.

Is there some reason you can't get a prescription for Adderall or some other ADD drug?. I have found Adderall to be effective. It is not the only thing I take but it is an important one. I can't take it every day because it can cause sleep problems but even taking it a couple of times a week is helpful.

Everything listed below should not require a prescription and I think would be helpful in your case. I do want to emphasize the importance of changing your diet if you are not already eating the right way. Look into adopting an anti-inflammatory diet. I think you will see great benefits from doing so.

Omega 3 – 3000mg
DHA - 400mg
Turmeric – 2 - 400mg
Vitamin D3 – 2000 IUs
Lion’s Mane – 2 capsules 500mgs each
Piracetam 800mgs – new just started this
CDP Choline – 250mg – new just started this
B-6 Pyridoxine HCL 50mg – new just started this
Ginger – 3 capsules
Bacopa Monniera 500 Mg
Theanine Serene with Relora

#4 trismatic

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:09 AM

Thanks. I will try that diet and change my sleeping habits/add some aerobic exercises.

Can you suggest a good fish oil without remaining toxic metals for me? I'm currently using L-theanine powder ordered from myprotein.co.uk. It has no or only a slight effect for me. Loose green tea is much better and actually gives me a good relaxed state for a short while. But I can't keep the state up for any longer than about one hour.

They don't sell Adderall here. I could fake the ADD tests and get prescription for Ritalin(?), but I'm pretty damn sure I don't have ADD. And I don't want ADD for my social papers :-) Same goes for Piracetam. It's listed as a medicine and here it is intended just for Cortical myoclonus. I could order it from EU, but its pretty risky. Customs sometimes check the packages and I'll probably get charges if I get caught. It's also pretty damn expensive, ~20-25 dollars for 30 pills of 800mg's I think.

But I will definitely try everything that is prescription-free. Do you think CDP-choline is better than DMAE? What about lecithin? Have you had any noticeable improvements with those nootropics?

#5 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Provigil
AMT
Semax
American Gingsing

#6 trismatic

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

Thanks! Provigil is impossible to get. Prescription only for narcolepsy. This is the most interesting nootropic imho. Price when ordered without prescription is close to 200dollars for 30 pills at 100mg each. Nice price. ;-) I think the same goes for AMT&Semax. American Ginseng I could try.

#7 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

Thanks! Provigil is impossible to get. Prescription only for narcolepsy. This is the most interesting nootropic imho. Price when ordered without prescription is close to 200dollars for 30 pills at 100mg each. Nice price. ;-) I think the same goes for AMT&Semax. American Ginseng I could try.

With some searches you can find all the above for cheap on the internet. :ph34r:

#8 trismatic

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

From inside European Union? The customs will 90% sure check the package from outside EU (USA/China etc) if the price exceeds ~40-50 dollars.

#9 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

put it inside t-shirt
ship express
during the holidays when its to busy check everything

Good luck
& don't forget, to also split orders that are bigger.(use your best judgement)
:cool:
Stay Crunchy

#10 trismatic

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

:D haha maybe i'll try. Offtopic: good song imo.

This may sound funny (and offtopic), but is there any nootropic for improving ones self-confidence? Does betablockers have any brain boosting effects? What about their synergies with nootropics described in this thread?

#11 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:36 AM

:D haha maybe i'll try. Offtopic: good song imo.

This may sound funny (and offtopic), but is there any nootropic for improving ones self-confidence? Does betablockers have any brain boosting effects? What about their synergies with nootropics described in this thread?

Propranolol helps with anxiety (including social anxiety) but it is far from having brain boosting effects. When I was on it I actually felt quite dumb.

#12 csoki

• 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Provigil
AMT
Semax
American Gingsing

Modafinil does nothing to my motivation. It has antidepressant and anxiolytic effect on me, so that might help but in my experience modafinil is only really good for focus (and forgetting about sleep).

So if you are a good at procrastination, I think modafinil will only help you to procrastinate more professionally, because the stuff will not let you to be distracted by the thoughts of your important tasks.
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Thanks. I will try that diet and change my sleeping habits/add some aerobic exercises.

Can you suggest a good fish oil without remaining toxic metals for me? I'm currently using L-theanine powder ordered from myprotein.co.uk. It has no or only a slight effect for me. Loose green tea is much better and actually gives me a good relaxed state for a short while. But I can't keep the state up for any longer than about one hour.

They don't sell Adderall here. I could fake the ADD tests and get prescription for Ritalin(?), but I'm pretty damn sure I don't have ADD. And I don't want ADD for my social papers :-) Same goes for Piracetam. It's listed as a medicine and here it is intended just for Cortical myoclonus. I could order it from EU, but its pretty risky. Customs sometimes check the packages and I'll probably get charges if I get caught. It's also pretty damn expensive, ~20-25 dollars for 30 pills of 800mg's I think.

But I will definitely try everything that is prescription-free. Do you think CDP-choline is better than DMAE? What about lecithin? Have you had any noticeable improvements with those nootropics?

There are a number of fish oils out there. I am really not the expert on which are good and which are not. I one I use I buy a my local organic market. One that you might be able to get online is Nordic Naturals. Supposedly it is very good. Just remember you need a good amount of DHA.

Lions Mane is easy to get - there are a number of online sources for it. Can you buy from Amazon USA? There are several sellers on Amazon who sell lions mane. I would also think that any healthcare store in Finland would carry it.

Why can't you get Adderall in your country - Does the Finland government not allow it to be sold there? For what reason? If I were you I would fake the ADD test and get a prescription for Ritalin. Ritalin works well for the symptoms you have. I don't have ADD either but I find Adderall to be very helpful and Adderall and Ritalin are very similar.

If you are going to buy any of these other supplements online from maybe the US or EU I would suggest buying them separately. They are not that expensive so it you buy them separately you may not hit the cost threshold so your customs agents may pay no attention to them. Let me say you have some aggressive customs agents. I have ordered medications from online pharmacies located in other countries and I have had no problems so far even though in the US we are not allowed to buy from foreign pharmacies. These foreign pharmacies though do a good job disguising the package. We also don't have nearly enough customs agents to be able to evaluate every package that comes from Europe or Asia.

In the US we complain a lot about our healthcare system and with good reason - our HC costs are very high and we have a number of people who can't afford insurance - but I think we have it a lot better than some of you in Great Britain and Europe - at least when in comes to choice and freedom to buy what we want. I read somewhere that you can't get Memantine in Great Britain because the government (or whoever runs the HC system) decided the cost was too great in relation to the benefits. Too bad for those Alzheimer patients and too bad for the many others who do not suffer from Alzheimers but could benefit from its use as I have seen here in the US. I have a relative who does not have Alzheimers but has experienced age related cognitive decline. This medication has made a big difference for him. It also sounds like this drug may be helpful for those who need cognitive enhancement but who do not suffer from dementia.

#14 meh

• 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

You should give ordering from Europe a try, with the Schengen treaty and all, customs tend to check only packages outside of EU.
And Georgina, you are dead on about the freedom to buy stuff, here in Estonia even 1000IU of vit D is seen as a drug and therefore illegal
to buy.

#15 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

You should give ordering from Europe a try, with the Schengen treaty and all, customs tend to check only packages outside of EU.
And Georgina, you are dead on about the freedom to buy stuff, here in Estonia even 1000IU of vit D is seen as a drug and therefore illegal
to buy.

You have got to be kidding me - 1000iu of D is considered a drug? Does your government understand the importance of Vitamin D in overall health. Low vitamin D levels are linked to a number of health problems including breast cancer and dementia. Many healthcare professionals in the US now recommend a minimum of 1000 ius a day. I take around 4000 iu a day because my D levels are low. It turns out that many Americans are actually low in vitamin D (mostly because we avoid the sun due to risk of skin cancer).

What is if with governments thinking they know best.

I wish you all the best in Estonia.

Edited by Georgina, 28 November 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#16 trismatic

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, Adderall is blocked by government. Dunno why. And for faking the ADD-tests, I don't want ADD to my medical certificate (or what's it called). Nice when you go to work and they'll check the papers and realize you have an ADD. ;-)

Complete list of stuff blocked by the medical institution
There is a .pdf document of all the stuff that is prohibited here to buy or sell without prescription. Just for if you are interested (I think you'll rofl. :-D)

I don't know how much is IU when talking about Vitamin D3, but here they recommend 5mcgs a day. I'm taking 90-120mcgs though. It's was controlled here too, but not anymore.

meh: Do you know any good places to order stuff like piracetam from inside the Europe? I know only qhi.co.uk and that's an expensive store.

#17 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

to buy.

In Estonia customs x-ray ALL postal packages, intra-EU or not.
Estonia is the hardliner no. 1 in EU, Finland is slightly more lenient.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 meh

• 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

I got my stuff from nootropichub.co.uk, they charge 12 pounds for shipping though.
And dam blind, that's not really something I wanted to know, I am going to get real paranoid with my shipments from now on :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users