Photo
- - - - -

Adderall vs Ritalin - which is better

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

Are there any opinions on which is better Adderall or Ritalin. I use Adderall to help with concentration and generally to give my brain the needed boost to get work done. I have read though (thanks to the informative contributors to the site) that Adderall should not be taken with calcium supplements and that effects of combining Adderall and Piracetam are unknown (I take piracetam as well). It sounds like Ritalin is ok to take with calcium supplements and Piraceta? If so I was considering switching but don't know if these drugs are basically the same in terms of improving concentration and giving the brain energy.

Does anyone know the differences between these two drugs and if Ritalin is better to take with calcium and Piracetam?

#2 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Do you have ADD or are you just taking Adderall for fun? Do you have a prescription?

There are lots of threads on here about the differences between the two. Adderall is an amphetamine blend, while Ritalin(Methylphenidate) is a different drug which works in a fundamentally different manner than AMP.

Generally speaking more is known about methylphenidate than AMP, and it is believed that Adderall can be neurotoxic, while methylphenidate is not. Both drugs do have risks, and should not be taken just because you want 'giving the brain energy.'.

Try exercise, and talk to your doctor about your options.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

It's highly individual. Both may work for you, or one may work much better. Ritalin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, while AMP is also a potent releasing agent. I don't think it's possible to say which one is objectively better in the way that you're asking. Ritalin is probably safer to take for several reasons, but I'm not sure yet if it completely obviates the putative dangers of combining amphetamine with piracetam.

Edited by chrono, 28 November 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#4 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

It's highly individual. Both may work for you, or one may work much better. Ritalin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, while AMP is also a potent releasing agent. I don't think it's possible to say which one is objectively better in the way that you're asking. Ritalin is probably safer to take for several reasons, but I'm not sure yet if it completely obviates the putative dangers of combining amphetamine with piracetam.

What's the least neuro-toxic? Ritalin?

#5 VoidPointer

• 123 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

What's the least neuro-toxic? Ritalin?

that seems to be the case;

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2701286/

also there is more empirical data on MPH than AMP, because it is the second most commonly prescribed psychiatric med, and has been around since the 50's.

That does not mean it is harmless, it means there is more known about the long term effects.
DexMPH (for me) has been significantly more effective that regular MPH.

Edited by VoidPointer, 29 November 2010 - 01:05 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

Adderall has a much longer half life, although there are time-released forms of ritalin available. IMO they both "exhaust" the adrenals, or more properly disrupt the HPA axis. The long half-life versions will leave a significant amount in your body for 20 or more hours, wrecking your sleep cycle. So I'd recommend regular, not extended release ritalin. IMO it is not a good idea to take either one daily as the adrenals and receptor sites in your brain will get acclimated to them and then you will need to take it to maintain normality and/or have to escalate your dosage. Deprenyl has been used as a ritalin substitute and while it may not be quite as good for focus, it seems to be a lot less harsh on the adrenals/HPA axis. I believe that ritalin and adderall both boost norepinephrine a lot more than deprenyl, which may account for them being a little better for treating ADD than deprenyl. So I add a little caffeine to my deprenyl and for me that improves it for focus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users