Photo
- - - - -

Trouble with concentration/memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 #1hit

• 153 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi all, after reading a few threads on this forum, I decided to create an account based on the intelligent answers that were being given in those other threads.

So, for most of my childhood (i'm 20 atm), I have noticed that I have been slower than many of my friends and peers when it comes to noticing things, recalling past experiences, making judgements on how people will act given the way they have behaved in the past, learning things, reading and comprehendinng, just on the entire array of things that the brain can be marshaled towards. I have always done above average work in school, at least from the standpoint of my gpa, but I feel like its just because multiple choice questions, well, do most of the thinking for you and I at least have a large enough vocabulary to bs essays, even if I don't have a complete grasp on the words that I use.

The only consisten ailment that I can think of that I have, besides a benign chiari malformation, is ashtma, which is not being treated and hasn't been for years because I have never actually had an astthma attack. The reason I know I have it is because I have had a pulmonary function test performed, as well as have several family members who also suffer from asthma. I'm also, atleast according to the prick test administered by an allergist, allergic to all grasses, dust, mold, and cats, of which my family has 2.

I currently take a multi vitamin, omega-3 fish oil capsules, vitamin d (700 mgs), quercetin (400-800 mgs/day) , vitamin c (500 mgs), and hemp protein powder after I work out (i run/swim around 5 times a week).

There are two things that I am hoping I can be helped with by the members of this forum:

1. At this stage in the game, after feeling that I have poor memory/concentration and am confounded very easily, what can I do to like change the way I think? is there anything I should/could be taking or doing differently?

2. Would my chronic ashtma have anything to do with reduced brain function, maybe because of the chronic inflammation/ lack of sufficient oxygen reaching my brain? I have started taking quercetin to control my allergies and ashtma by leveling out histamine levels/ shutting down the inflammation, but should athma take a higher priority to mend my brain complaints?

Thanks all in advance for your insight and wisdom :)

#2 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

2. Would my chronic ashtma have anything to do with reduced brain function, maybe because of the chronic inflammation/ lack of sufficient oxygen reaching my brain? I have started taking quercetin to control my allergies and ashtma by leveling out histamine levels/ shutting down the inflammation, but should athma take a higher priority to mend my brain complaints?Chronic Inflammation and reduce oxygen delievery could contribute partially to decreased function. Excersie can help, obviously be careful and seek MD advice as needed.

This is a very complex subject which i cant explain electicly, that im not qualified to discuss, but at a guess
Asthma actually has a strong correlation with excessive serotonin. Serotonin is always viewed as a agent that increase mood and brain function. This isnt actually true, some of serotonins bindings are very delerious to both mood and brain function. Antidepressants work because they increase mood and brain function through other means(related to serotonin tho), which induces negative feedback on "mood" and "brain function" through increased levels of Serotonin binding(the brain always tries to achieve balance), furthermore this negative feedback could sometimes be through serotonin autoreceptors. Reserach this concept for yourself, it will be hard. Tianeptine?

A metabolic enhancing stack could help

Further I sayith not

Edited by NR2(x), 29 November 2010 - 08:53 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

This is incorrect:
furthermore this negative feedback could sometimes be through serotonin autoreceptors.

What i meant
Some of the benefits of Antidepressents are through modulation serotonin autoreceptors, there are other effects aswell.

#4 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:08 AM

You might have Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, which often results in a diagnosis of inattentive-type ADHD. Actually, it appears to be a different disorder than ADHD proper, but the psychiatric community is only just now preparing to research the difference between the two.

Classic predominantly-inattentive ADHD could be another option, and it would certainly result in slower performance on tests and thinking and such. It's a less likely option because you'd have to be pretty bright and motivated to do well in school with inattentive ADHD. Of course, some people ARE that bright and motivated, so don't rule inattentive ADHD out quite yet.

To directly answer your first question, YES there are things you can do to change the way you think. First off, get a professional evaluation from a good psychiatrist, psychologist, or neuropsychologist who specializes in this sort of thing. Your best bet is to talk to someone who specializes in adolescents, or in children and adolescents. All mental health professionals have some training to work with adults, but the ones who have the specialization in working with young people are often much better at correctly diagnosing this sort of problem. And don't worry, adolescent psychiatrists/psychologists see plenty of 20-year-olds. Hell, they see 40-year-olds who can't get a correct diagnosis out of adult psychiatrists.

Second is mind training. In other words, meditate! And don't just follow some random new-age self-styled guru's meditation instructions, especially if they amount to "sit there like a bump on a log and try to kinda remember that you're breathing." The only beneficial effect from that sort of meditation is a reduction in stress. I'm talking REAL mind training, or specifically, concentration meditation. All the meditation traditions have something that they use to build concentration: the Tibetans, the South-Asian Buddhists (theravada), the Zen Buddhists, the Hindu yoga traditions, and the Western imported meditation techniques. Further explanation is beyond the scope of this forum post (and my ability to stay awake), but if you want any help finding some really good resources on meditation then let me know.

Last, keep your lifestyle healthy. Exercise, sleep, diet, and visual exposure to sunlight are 4 very important factors of mental function. Basically, if you aren't doing those 4 things, then don't try to fix anything else before you've fixed all four of those. You'd be very surprised how many different kinds of problems can be cured by getting those four right.

#5 #1hit

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:36 AM

You might have Sluggish Cognitive Tempo, which often results in a diagnosis of inattentive-type ADHD. Actually, it appears to be a different disorder than ADHD proper, but the psychiatric community is only just now preparing to research the difference between the two.

Classic predominantly-inattentive ADHD could be another option, and it would certainly result in slower performance on tests and thinking and such. It's a less likely option because you'd have to be pretty bright and motivated to do well in school with inattentive ADHD. Of course, some people ARE that bright and motivated, so don't rule inattentive ADHD out quite yet.

To directly answer your first question, YES there are things you can do to change the way you think. First off, get a professional evaluation from a good psychiatrist, psychologist, or neuropsychologist who specializes in this sort of thing. Your best bet is to talk to someone who specializes in adolescents, or in children and adolescents. All mental health professionals have some training to work with adults, but the ones who have the specialization in working with young people are often much better at correctly diagnosing this sort of problem. And don't worry, adolescent psychiatrists/psychologists see plenty of 20-year-olds. Hell, they see 40-year-olds who can't get a correct diagnosis out of adult psychiatrists.

Second is mind training. In other words, meditate! And don't just follow some random new-age self-styled guru's meditation instructions, especially if they amount to "sit there like a bump on a log and try to kinda remember that you're breathing." The only beneficial effect from that sort of meditation is a reduction in stress. I'm talking REAL mind training, or specifically, concentration meditation. All the meditation traditions have something that they use to build concentration: the Tibetans, the South-Asian Buddhists (theravada), the Zen Buddhists, the Hindu yoga traditions, and the Western imported meditation techniques. Further explanation is beyond the scope of this forum post (and my ability to stay awake), but if you want any help finding some really good resources on meditation then let me know.

Last, keep your lifestyle healthy. Exercise, sleep, diet, and visual exposure to sunlight are 4 very important factors of mental function. Basically, if you aren't doing those 4 things, then don't try to fix anything else before you've fixed all four of those. You'd be very surprised how many different kinds of problems can be cured by getting those four right.

Thank you so much for your in-depth and well written response Jadamgo! As someone whose never plunged into the nuances of adhd beyond knowing that some of my classmates have had it, I had never come across sluggish cognitive tempo, but after reading about it on a blog created by a person dealing with predominantly inattentive adhd (the sub-category that the SCT sub-sub category belongs to I think?) and acquanting myself with the basics of what it is, all of the symptoms and idiosyncrasies of the disorder coincide with the problems I have been confronted with, especially with trouble recalling words from long term memory, using working memory (in many conversations I often resort to agreement phrases and go over what was imparted in my head after the conversation, as I can't process the information swiftly enough to retort appropriately), the problems with input-output, and even assuming the qualities of ad/hd when I'm stimulated (when I'm feeling good, I'm extremely extroverted and adventure/risk seeking). It seems like this or a similar disorder is exactly what I need to have remedied.

My diet is probably the healthiest thing about me, and I exercise zealously, but I could definitely improve on not the amount of time I sleep, but the slot of time i sleep through (usually 1-2 am till 10-11 am), and need to get outside when its still light out sometimes.

Besides tending to those four cornerstones, are there any natural supplements or activities/brain exercises I could do to like reshape the way my brain is to combat this type of thing? I would really prefer to avoid stimulant medication. and where would you suggest starting with the meditation?

#6 NR2(x)

• 253 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:03 AM

How would you treate sluggish cognitive tempo tho, i dont believe that stimulants are the answer(maybe not bad). you will have to proceed past the Public domain to find the best answers that you seek. Can you do it?

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

My diet is probably the healthiest thing about me, and I exercise zealously, but I could definitely improve on not the amount of time I sleep, but the slot of time i sleep through (usually 1-2 am till 10-11 am), and need to get outside when its still light out sometimes.

So what is your diet like ?

#8 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

How would you treate sluggish cognitive tempo tho, i dont believe that stimulants are the answer(maybe not bad). you will have to proceed past the Public domain to find the best answers that you seek. Can you do it?

I am wondering that also - how would you treat it. I think I may have a similar problem. After reading this thread I looked up sct in wikipedia and the symptoms better describe my problems than ADD. I am not sure Adderall is the best treatment for it though (due to Adderal side effects).

#9 #1hit

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

I don't follow a strict diet regimen because I just don't have the time in the day to cook meals or do extensive planning while working, going to school full time, and trying to maintain a small time social life, but this is what I eat in a typical day

a generic multivitamin, 500mg vitamin c, 700 mg vitamin d, and an omega 3 fish oil capsule

3 scrambled eggs, spiced with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, garlic powder, and onion powder
a bowl of oatmeal/ grapenuts / fitness crunch, that type of thing

a snack of either a cliff/odwalla bar, pasta with meat sauce or beans, a serving of lentils, or toasted whole grain bread lathered with almond butter.

a lunch meat sandwich with chicken and honey mustard, on whole or multigrain bread, a handful of nuts, and sometimes a little bit of dark chocholate. Sometimes ill replace the lunch meat sandwich with a tuna fish sandwich or an amy's organic soup (usually lentils or chili)

another one of the snacks I typed out above

my dinner is the most diverse, but it is almost always homecooked. Usually along the lines of hamburgers, a vegetable and potatoes, or pasta with meatballs and a salad, chicken with rice/risotto and a vegetable, etc.

Besides the meals/snacks I have, I also make sure I have 2 glasses of apple juice each day, atleast 1-2 fruits (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, pears, apples), 3 glasses of soy milk, 8 glasses of water or more, and a 400 mg quercetin 200 mg bromelain capsule. sometimes I'll have a glass of red wine in the evening.

On days that I work out, I usually have a glass of soy milk with hemp protein stirred into it.

This is what my diet looks like on average days, disqualifying the days/ stretches of time that I have to eat out.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

I don't follow a strict diet regimen because I just don't have the time in the day to cook meals or do extensive planning while working, going to school full time, and trying to maintain a small time social life, but this is what I eat in a typical day

Have you tried going lower carb/paleo ?
When I first started out, I found that the best breakfast for me was just eggs, perhaps with a bit of of ketchup.

You might want to try reducing your carbs, it's not that hard.

Also, you can try eliminating things from your diet like wheat, and working out if that helps.

Edited by rwac, 01 December 2010 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users