Photo
- - - - -

Concussions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fudge

• 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I happen to do a dance style called "popping". Popping involves "hitting", contracting the muscles to the beat of the music.
Here is an example:

I was wondering if I might get any mild concussions resulting in loss of cognitive ability if I continue practicing this sort of dance?
I "hit" somewhat more aggressively than in the video shown.

#2 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

I don't get why you think this would result in concussions. Merely contracting muscles as shown in the video wouldn't result in anything remotely similar to a concussion. Contrary to what those trying to oversimplify science say the brain isn't a muscle.

I certainly wouldn't worry unless you 'pop' your head back and forth repeatedly like a woodpecker.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fudge

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I don't get why you think this would result in concussions. Merely contracting muscles as shown in the video wouldn't result in anything remotely similar to a concussion. Contrary to what those trying to oversimplify science say the brain isn't a muscle.

I certainly wouldn't worry unless you 'pop' your head back and forth repeatedly like a woodpecker.

Well, I recently read that "headbanging", which involves shaking your head violently, lowers intelligence. My head shakes when I "hit", and even though the distance traveled isn't as much as, the acceleration is higher, therefore I thought I would ask.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Well, I recently read that "headbanging", which involves shaking your head violently, lowers intelligence. My head shakes when I "hit", and even though the distance traveled isn't as much as, the acceleration is higher, therefore I thought I would ask.

I can certainly believe that headbanging is harmful. The distance travelled there allows you to build up much higher speeds than displayed here though which means that the deceleration and forces exerted upon your head when you switch direction are quite substantial. No idea if popping is entirely 100% safe as you do it but it looks several magnitudes safer than headbanging. I don't know of any objective way to measure how safe this is. I guess you could compare your subjective experience to headbanging since that actually feels harmful imho.

Edited by aLurker, 30 November 2010 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users