Photo
- - - - -

your top 5 anxiolytics?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hendrix

• 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

herbal or otherwise. although i prefer herbs over chemical drugs i just need something that works for real. had anxiety attack at work today over something that wasnt even a big deal. tried to calm it down, tell myself theres nothing to be anxious about but no use. its ruining my life really.

#2 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Taurine
Gabapentin
Beta blocker (i prefer atenelol over propranolol(
Tryptophan
GABA
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

Schizandra
Magnesium/glycinate
B-right by Jarrow

#4 noregister

• 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:12 AM

Just curious, why do you prefer herbs?

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:36 AM

lithium orotate @ 5mg literally eliminated my anxiety a while back when i was having problems with it.

kava is also pretty effective.

ativan obviously... but a lot of risk there.

#6 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Any benzodiazepine (especially xanax) completely obliterates anxiety but it's only a short term solution and I guess because you're in the nootropics forum already you wouldn't really want to decrease your cognitive abilities.
To my knowledge, unfortunately there are no long term chemical treatments for anxiety that come without repercussions...
But if you find any please let us know!

#7 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

*(in no order)

Cannabis
L-theanine
Bacopa
Pilicome
Ashwangada

Pretty nice stacked (non addictive IMHO)

#8 Ungomma

• 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

For situational anxiety, panic attacks:

1. Alprozalam (Xanax) or any benzodiazepine. But you need a prescription.

2. Phenibut, a popular nootropic. Worked wonders for situational anxiety. Took it before work interviews and gastroscopy. ZERO anxiety.

Otherwise, for persistant background nervousness:

3. Hydroxyzine is good in low doses (say, 12.5mg-25mg), but a bit sedating. Sedation goes away in a couple of weeks. It quickly eliminated the insane night fears I had on moclobemide. Also helps with allergy. Has a long half-life. Good stuff, very underrated.

4. SSRIs. Yes, SSRIs. They are sometimes demonized, but are very good drugs for what they do. Most likely you will not have any side effect, although they can exacerbate your anxiety at first. The best long-term treatment for serious anxiety issues.
Start with 5mg escitalopram.

5. If your anxiety is not that bad, you can try adjusting your supplements along the lines other posters suggested: taurine, magnesium, B-vits (although they can be stimulating, thus increasing anxiety!).
Herbal anti-anxiety mixes are great for less serious problems.

6. Self-therapy: Progressive Relaxation, meditation, breathing techniques, Autogenic Training.
Very effective for anxiety, mood, energy, headaches, blood pressure, you name it. Stick to techniques that are proven to work, though.
There is a nice book on Amazon - The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook. Check it out.

7. Exercise! Cardio training is pretty good for mental issues.

Hope that helps.
  • like x 1

#9 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

lithium orotate @ 5mg literally eliminated my anxiety a while back when i was having problems with it.

Would this be a good product? Should i be worried about liver damage using this one?
Thanks

#10 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

2. Phenibut, a popular nootropic. Worked wonders for situational anxiety. Took it before work interviews and gastroscopy. ZERO anxiety.

Did they not give you any sedation during your gastroscopy? Clearly phenibut would be contraindicated if they gave you anything. I was given fentanyl and benzo's before my gastroscopy. Those are pretty powerful drugs and I wouldn't want to be messing around with supplements that could poteinate the effects of either of those drugs.

#11 Ungomma

• 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

Did they not give you any sedation during your gastroscopy? Clearly phenibut would be contraindicated if they gave you anything. I was given fentanyl and benzo's before my gastroscopy. Those are pretty powerful drugs and I wouldn't want to be messing around with supplements that could poteinate the effects of either of those drugs.

That's hardcore. I was given local anesthesia - Lidocaine spray. The procedure was mildly unpleasant.

#12 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Would this be a good product? Should i be worried about liver damage using this one?
Thanks

http://www.iherb.com...psules/665?at=0

#13 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

Calamus roots. They are very effective and gets the mind cooled down in seconds. I am amazed every time I try this. It just tunes down negative thoughts, while not being too sedative on cognitive function. There also tends to be a sort of emotional blunting (since it cools down the dark side of the mind, without letting the funky side of it go haywire), but this really is not a very big issue. Use this as a situational aid is my advice. Too much of the stuff too often might be harmful, but that goes with about anything.

My favorite now is aniracetam. I almost feel like writing a love song in its name ;)
I just dose it like a madman until it feels nice. It was a bit sedative at first in a weird way, but that quickly went away. Might be a bit addictive on a psychological level for me, but it´s all good.

Edited by Nicholas, 03 December 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#14 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Calamus roots. They are very effective and gets the mind cooled down in seconds. I am amazed every time I try this. It just tunes down negative thoughts, while not being too sedative on cognitive function. There also tends to be a sort of emotional blunting (since it cools down the dark side of the mind, without letting the funky side of it go haywire), but this really is not a very big issue. Use this as a situational aid is my advice. Too much of the stuff too often might be harmful, but that goes with about anything.

My favorite now is aniracetam. I almost feel like writing a love song in its name ;)
I just dose it like a madman until it feels nice. It was a bit sedative at first in a weird way, but that quickly went away. Might be a bit addictive on a psychological level for me, but it´s all good.

How is the taurine going? Or maybe it was someone else who was using it. Where do you buy calamus root?

#15 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

That's hardcore. I was given local anesthesia - Lidocaine spray. The procedure was mildly unpleasant.

Man, that is rough. With the opiates and the benzos I was still gagging hardcore and they had trouble keeping the scope in. I don't know how you managed!

#16 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

How is the taurine going? Or maybe it was someone else who was using it. Where do you buy calamus root?
[/quote]

It´s a pretty strange substance. During the first two weeks I had this massive reduction in anxiety and mood stabilization. Then it more or less stopped working. It did help me a lot to de-connect some obsessive thoughts about a dead end imaginative romantic "could be" relationship. Perhaps it corrected some taurine deficiency, and when levels were restored the effects seemed less pronounced.
I still use it when needed as a mild and quick partial cool down.

You can buy calamus roots at www.Iamshaman.com (they claim to have the real deal, since there are various strains of calamus and not all are the same)
They are cheap and last a long time too.

Phew... I just took a heap of taurine... wow... I feel chiiiilled out -_-

Edited by Nicholas, 03 December 2010 - 11:41 PM.

#17 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Thanks

http://www.iherb.com...psules/665?at=0

http://www.iherb.com...itute-Kava-Kava

kava has some contraindications.. alcohol, tylanol, certain meds & supps. it is, in my experience, best used short term for quick effect.

i found lithium worked better long term.

#18 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:26 AM

It's entirely situational for me:

Job interview - benzodiazepine (preferably a nitrobenzo like nitrazepam)
Performing in front of people - beta blocker, piracetam, bacopa, or aniracetam.
Weddings - alcohol =)
Funerals - benzos (no preference)
Shopping - any of the above and below will do.
Family reunion - everything I can possibly get my hands on.

General 5 other ones - theanine, agmatine, pregabalin, gabapentin, bacopa (runner up: rhodiola rosea)
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#19 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

@somethingtoxic I love the list but where's the amphetamine?? :laugh:

Edited by e Volution, 04 December 2010 - 04:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

@somethingtoxic I love the list but where's the amphetamine?? :laugh:

Obviously at the family reunions.
  • like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users