Photo
- - - - -

Need info about Memantine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Georgina

• 35 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

I know that there has been much discussion about Memantine on this forum so I apologize for yet another post. I am trying to understand what are the nootropic or cognitive enhancing effectives of Memantine. Much of the discussion about this drug has related to its effects on reducing tolerance of other nootropics/drugs but I am interested in understanding Memantine on its own as a cognitive enhancer. I know it is used to treat moderate to severe symptoms of Alzheimer's but doesn't it also help improve cognition in healthy people? How does it prove cognition - what cognitive benefits are there. Who would be a good candidate for trying this medication (of healthy people) - those who wanted improvements in concentration, memory? Finally, it is my understanding that Memantine plays some role in regulating glutamate and that the over production of glutamate is part of the reason Alzheimer patients develop cognitive decline. Is this correct and is it possible that a healthy person could also over produce glutamate causing less than optimal cognition?

On another topic, someone on this forum put together a spreadsheet that lists nootropics and cognitive improving medications along with their benefits and risks. I would like to develop a similar list but reverse it - start with the problems that people experience or areas of cognition they want to improve and then list the nootropics and drugs that can help. This would be extremely helpful for many of us.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users