[Depressed Metabolism] Blog

depressed metabolism

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

In praise of cold

Some observers believe that cryonics advocates are reluctant to subject their theories to experimental scrutiny because this could damage their (uncritical) belief in future resuscitation. Similarly, one might think that cryonicists would react with a mix of hostility and dismissal to alternative strategies for personal survival. Nothing could be...

Visit Depressed Metabolism for the complete post, other content, and more.

View the full article

#62 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Resuscitation and Reintegration of Cryonics Patients Symposium

On Sunday May 12, 2013, the Institute for Evidence Based Cryonics will organize a symposium about the resuscitation and reintegration of cryonics patients in Portland, Oregon. To our knowledge, this is the first public meeting exclusively concerned with the repair, resuscitation, and reintegration of cryonics patients. The symposium is being held...

View the full article

#63 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

ApoE4, diet, and gender

As we learn more about the human genome, there will be an increasing recognition that general diet recommendations are going to give way to diet recommendations that more closely track the genotype of individuals. For those interested in healthy life extension an important question concerns the relationship between ApoE status and diet. In Why We...

View the full article

#64 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

Cryonics and dementia

In a few days the Institute for Evidence Based Cryonics and Cryonics NW will host a symposium on Cryonics and Brain-Threatening Disorders. We care deeply about this issue and some of us have observed fellow cryonicists succumb to (advanced) dementia prior to their cryopreservation – or worse, the disease compromised their understanding of...

View the full article

#65 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

In praise of cold

Some observers believe that cryonics advocates are reluctant to subject their theories to experimental scrutiny because this could damage their (uncritical) belief in future resuscitation. Similarly, one might think that cryonicists would react with a mix of hostility and dismissal to alternative strategies for personal survival. Nothing could be...

View the full article

#66 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

First symposium on cryonics and dementia

The recent symposium on cryonics and brain-threatening disorders was a major success. On Saturday, July 7, 2012, around 30 people attended the first ever symposium on dementia and cryonics in Portland, Oregon. The symposium started with a brief introduction by Institute for Evidence Based Cryonics President Aschwin de Wolf, who emphasized why...

View the full article

#67 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Preserving and inferring

A common complaint against cryonics is that existing cryopreservation technologies may not be good enough to preserve the ultrastructure of the human brain. Advocates of cryonics often object that such views do not reflect actual inspection of the evidence of cryopreserved brains but instead reflect misconceptions about “freezing” and ice...

View the full article

#68 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Iatrogenesis and Cryonics

Wikipedia tells us that iatrogenesis is “an inadvertent adverse effect or complication resulting from medical treatment or advice…” The key word in this definition is “inadvertent.” For example, a doctor who exposes a patient to a bacterial infection by accidentally donning non-surgical gloves is an example of iatrogenesis. A doctor who...

View the full article

#69 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

A pathography of aging

In her book Reconstructing Illness: Studies in Pathography, Anne Hunsaker Hawkins proposes that the modern pathography is replacing the accounts of religious conversion that were popular in earlier eras. What is a pathography? One definition that I found is “the study of the life of an individual or the history of a community with regard [...]

View the full article

#70 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Broward County South Florida Cryonics Meeting

I moved to Florida a number of months ago, but I am only now starting a cryonics group in the Broward County, Florida area. As a first event I have booked a table at the Peking Tokyo Buffet restaurant on 1219 South Federal Hwy, Deerfield Beach, Florida for dinner in the early evening (7 P.M. [...]

View the full article
  • like x 1

#71 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Protecting cryonics patients

Anyone who has ever reflected on the fragility of human life and the seemingly inevitable rise and fall of complex societies cannot fail to be concerned about the fate of patients in cryopreservation. Cryonics organizations have learned from the early days and abandoned the practice of accepting patients without complete prepayment – a practice...

View the full article

#72 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:04 AM

Who Decides What We Can Do With Our Body (and Brain)?

Statement on the High Court ruling concerning 14 year-old cancer victim’s right to cryonics Click here for PDF Our hearts go out to the young British woman whose battle with cancer ended sadly earlier this month at age 14, as well as to her parents as they cope with this very difficult time. And we […]

Visit the Institute for Evidence-Based Cryonics for the complete post, other content, and more.

View the full article

#73 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

How Uniform Are The Uniform Anatomical Gift Acts?

“SECTION 11. PERSONS THAT MAY RECEIVE ANATOMICAL GIFT; PURPOSE OF ANATOMICAL GIFT” Thus begins a very important section of a very important piece of legislation. Except it isn’t actually legislation at all, though it does look the part. It is the Revised Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (2006) [“UAGA”]. UAGA is model legislation, and in that […]

Visit the Institute for Evidence-Based Cryonics for the complete post, other content, and more.

View the full article

#74 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

The Valley of the Shadow of Death

The “uncanny valley” is a theory described in 1970 by robotics professor Masahiro Mori which posits that as a robot’s appearance becomes more human-like, observer affinity towards it will increase until the likeness reaches a certain threshold, after which affinity will drop sharply into the negative—the uncanny valley—before rebounding again...

View the full article

#75 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

Reintegration, Personalized

The latter half of therapeutic cryopreservation involves three “R”s: resuscitation, rehabilitation, and reintegration. Of the three, reintegration receives the least attention as to its content, so permit me to deconstruct it a bit before diving straight in. First off, it’s re-integration, so like re-resuscitation and re-habilitation, we are...

View the full article

#76 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

Getting the Word Out

For this month’s column, I have been asked to write about how to start a viable and well-attended local life extension group. I suppose the reason I am qualified to write on this subject is because I have been working on precisely that for the past three years, ever since I first learned about life […]

View the full article

#77 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Are cryonics patients….property?

Doodeward v. Spence, a 1908 case out of the High Court of Australia[1], addressed a very difficult question: could human remains be property? The facts of the case were somewhat bizarre. Some forty years prior to the appeal, a New Zealand woman had given birth to a stillborn, two-headed fetus. The fetus had been preserved […]

View the full article

#78 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

The Multi-Headed Hydra

This article explores some of the regulatory challenges facing those who would bring rejuvenation biotechnologies, like those pursued by Dr. Aubrey de Grey and the SENS Foundation, to market. It does not presume familiarity with Dr. de Grey and his work; I’ve tried to make it informative to all alike. The Conquest of Aging Biomedical […]

View the full article

#79 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

Bitcoin and Cryonics

In this article, I want to introduce you to Bitcoin, a topic that fascinates me almost as much as cryonics. Many Cryonics readers will have already heard of Bitcoin (certainly my first introductions to it were by members of the cryonics community), but in order to go on and talk about cryonics-specific uses for Bitcoin, […]

View the full article

#80 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:28 PM

We Shall Overcome

Legal Approaches Toward Cryonics Patient Personhood The current medico-legal definition of death creates numerous obstacles to the successful resuscitation and reintegration of cryonics patients: our ability to be cryopreserved under optimal conditions is restricted in the first place, and once cryopreserved, we are no longer legal persons, so we...

View the full article

#81 xlifex

• 80 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

Bootstrap Personhood

(Or, Corporations are People, Too…) In my last article, I looked at some historical and contemporary examples of legal activism aimed at expanding legal personhood to beings not already included in that category. As much as it was a fairly superficial survey, some trends could still be ascertained, firstly (and not so surprisingly) that courts...

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users