Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Magnesium L-threonate

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#31 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Wombattery, we should get a couple of other people together and buy 1 kg from Orchid. Split the product and the fee Anyone interested?

Hmm that reminds me - I think I'm about to order it.

Anyone from Europe interested into buying 1kg and splitting it?

#32 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi. I´m very interested in Magnesium L-Threonate. Recently I write to Sabre Sciences asking for their product iMagT. They answer me this:

"Thank you for contacting Sabre Sciences. Yes, we have 2 products that contain magnesium l-threonate (MgT). We use clean formulas that contain no parabens, artificial colors, fragrances, flavors or fillers. Here is the info on the iMagT & iMagT Plus. These products are in powder form. We have had thousands of people use this product, including children with no serious side effects. If you take too much you may feel slightly fatigued, a small percentage of people reported headache.

Here is the breakdown for the 2 products that contain MgT,
iMagT (Mood, memory, concentration) Price $39
Per tsp: 200mg Magnesium L-Threonate, 1500mg inositol. We recommend using this product 2 times daily, 1tsp mixed into water twice per day. May take up to 4tsp mixed into water per day.

iMagT Plus (sleep, metabolism, muscle mass, immune function) $39
Per tsp: 250mg Inositol, 100mg Magnesium L-Threonate, 300mg L-Ornithine, 250mg L-Arginine, 250 L-Lysine, 250mg L-Glutamine, 5mg Zinc. We recommend using 2 tsp at bedtime, mix into water.

Please feel free to reply to this email or call if you have any questions. To place an order you will need to call 888-490-7300 so we can set up your account, from there on in you can order over email if that is easier for you.

Take Care,"

Even though MgT looks promising, what do you think about taking this product before it´s approval for human consumptiom?? It is safe??
When we can expect to see this product in the market and how long trials in humans will last??

Can we order online? if so, please post link.....

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hi. I´m very interested in Magnesium L-Threonate. Recently I write to Sabre Sciences asking for their product iMagT. They answer me this:

"Thank you for contacting Sabre Sciences. Yes, we have 2 products that contain magnesium l-threonate (MgT). We use clean formulas that contain no parabens, artificial colors, fragrances, flavors or fillers. Here is the info on the iMagT & iMagT Plus. These products are in powder form. We have had thousands of people use this product, including children with no serious side effects. If you take too much you may feel slightly fatigued, a small percentage of people reported headache.

Can we order online? if so, please post link.....

Nope, that product isn't online you have to contact them through email.

#34 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

"Nope, that product isn't online you have to contact them through email".

Yes. You have to contact them. Instead of that I´ll find an american web that sells this product.
Here is the link:

My link
  • like x 1

#35 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Oh, I really hate when I accidentally close the tab while making a post. Since I have other things to do, I'll summarize. Sorry for the poor telegraphic style.

Stopped taking supplements since Saturday 05/28 included. No coffee, no tea. Only exception Omega 3 fish oil. Did Auditory and Visual Stimulus Response Time tests (abbrv as ASRT, VSRT respectively) with on average 30 tries.

05/28
ASRT 181 ms
VSRT 295 ms
Note: Went to sleep later than usual despite feeling more tired during the evening. Nothing of particular except that.

05/29
ASRT 192 ms
VSRT 298 ms
Note: Took me some time to wake up - probably because I went to sleep late the day before - took me 30 min to get out of the bed. Except that, nothing much. Didn't bother me that I hadn't took nootropics/supplements the day before.

05/30
MgT has finally arrived during the morning. Took approximately 600mg over the course of 2 hours, mixed in a 0.5l bottle of water - began taking it at 10AM.
ASRT 216 ms
VSRT 276 ms
Note: I was awaiting MgT eagerly - I'm positive that some of what I felt may be in parts of wholly placebo.

At first, didn't notice much - I began noticing things around 1:30 PM when I went out in a park nearby to read.

I had the impression that I visually paid more attention to details - I noticed shades of colours in objects more easily than before - well, my attention seemed somewhat affected by MgT. I felt pretty calm and relaxed - a bit more so than the days before - and my thoughts processes seemed to be more clear.

I did recall some unusual memories - scenes for movies I saw 3+ years ago by associative context - a bottle of milk made me remember a scene which featured a bottle of milk and I could remember the scence with some details - both visually and auditory (remembered the general context of what was said, and some specific words). The gist of a statue I saw in the Louvre museum two years ago - I drew it poorly, but it was recognisable. Drawing for memory is a particularly difficult task for me.

(Remark: my episodic memory was in a bad shape two months ago to the extent that I could remember very little memories with vividness - it has improved, but the vivid recalls are pretty rare. I managed to have more than a half-dozen consequent recalls.)

I did have an argument with a friend later, and the emotion I felt seemed a tiny bit more stronger than usual - I'm a very calm person. I can't say if it's an impression or MgT.

At 8 PM, the effects don't appear to have diminished. I have no trouble to focus on any task - I'm not sure, but perhaps I am a bit more focused than usual. Can't tell. (Context: I used to have ADD symptoms but they diminished since the last 6 months - they still linger and are most noticeable when I skip supplements).

That's it so far. Does sound promising. I record lot of things in my journal - I'll have to make comparisons at a later date and see whether there is something else I may not be noticing.

I have also done a few dual n-back and there is little difference in my WM as far as I can tell.

I'll update every couple of days.

Edited by bdoris, 30 May 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#36 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi bdoris.

Any new experiences with the Magnesium L-Threonate?? Did you buy the one from Orchid??

#37 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hi bdoris.

Any new experiences with the Magnesium L-Threonate?? Did you buy the one from Orchid??

I'll make a pause for the weekend, and begin taking a higher dosage next week - probably around 2g over the course of a day.

The main effect - concerning memory - so far has been positive;

I did experiment quickly with Piracetam (4g single dose, did the test one hour and a half later), I have been able to recall with a remarkable accuracy long term memories (8+ years) - describing for example the appearance of a person I have seen only a couple of times, or the layout of a room I've been in during vacations - where were the doors, which colour or material, where were the sinks, shower and what it looked like, recall as much details from the view outside, describing the weather during the whole holiday, and such things. I remembered practically as if I were there yesterday - my parents did check with old pictures and camera videos (which I haven't looked since after I came back from this holiday, that is 8 years ago) and confirmed pretty much everything.

Still, it is difficult to evaluate those things - I don't have extensive data on the state of my episodic memory before MgT, during my depression, or 10 years ago so it is hard to evaluate how much it did improve my episodic memory. Nevertheless, the improvements do appear to be significant.

My journal isn't with me (yes I'm a paper lover, I like to write or print things so screw the environment) so I can't tell you exactly the previous day's results, but today:
ASRT: 215 ms
VSRT: 252 ms

One interesting thing is that my visual response time to a stimulus seem to be lower - probably the result of my stopping taking other nootropics - while my auditory response time slightly worse after stopping nootropics.

By the way, I'm awaiting the results of a new blood test I just did this morning; I should get an idea of my Mg+ plasma levels and intra-cellular levels (erythrocyte or red blood cell Mg+ concentration) ; it may shed some light on MgT, or not.

As for your other question, yes, it is from Orchid.

I did a few basic tests with household items and it appears to be Magnesium (electrolysis, some guessing and comparing it with different salts (only had calcium and sodium available to me) but I can't think of any way to determine whether there is threonic acid as well (which is a sugar acid). Funny how little they teach you useful and practical chemistry stuff in medical studies. Testing professionally the purity of the product in a laboratory would ruin me unfortunately.

Edited by bdoris, 03 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#38 Len Jones

• 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

My MgT arrived a few days ago from Orchid and I am still nervous about the dosage.

Slutsky in his paper ‘Enhancement of learning and memory by elevating brain magnesiumwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2015212k
said ‘We found that 50 mg/kg/day (elemental Mg2+) is the minimum effective dose’.

I am a 162 lb | 70Kg man and scaling up means 70Kg x 0.05g/day = 3.5g/day of elemental Mg/day. The FDA suggest a minimum of 0.4g/day of magnesium and I am proposing to take nearly 9 times that much.

The molar mass of MgT is 294.5 g mol-1 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_L-threonate and the atomic mass of magnesium (Mg) is 24.3. Hence I calculate my daily dosage of MgT to be 3.5g/day x 294.5 / 24.3 = 42.4g/day | 1.5ozs/day. This is a scary amount when you actually see it weighed out and at the moment I am on half dosage checking to see if there any side effects.

I would certainly welcome comments

Edited by Len Jones, 03 June 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#39 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hmm, that does seem like quite a bit. At that rate, 1kg will only last you ~23 days as well. Perhaps the lower doseage will give you the improvement. Please let us know how it goes.

My MgT arrived a few days ago from Orchid and I am still nervous about the dosage.

Slutsky in his paper ‘Enhancement of learning and memory by elevating brain magnesiumwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2015212k
said ‘We found that 50 mg/kg/day (elemental Mg2+) is the minimum effective dose’.

I am a 162 lb | 70Kg man and scaling up means 70Kg x 0.05g/day = 3.5g/day of elemental Mg/day. The FDA suggest a minimum of 0.4g/day of magnesium and I am proposing to take nearly 9 times that much.

The molar mass of MgT is 294.5 g mol-1 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_L-threonate and the atomic mass of magnesium (Mg) is 24.3. Hence I calculate my daily dosage of MgT to be 3.5g/day x 294.5 / 24.3 = 42.4g/day | 1.5ozs/day. This is a scary amount when you actually see it weighed out and at the moment I am on half dosage checking to see if there any side effects.

#40 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hmm, that does seem like quite a bit. At that rate, 1kg will only last you ~23 days as well. Perhaps the lower doseage will give you the improvement. Please let us know how it goes.

Do keep in mind that rats aren't humans. And lesser dosages doesn't mean they didn't have any effect, but just that it wasn't enough to be measurable through indirect methods. Rats can't speak, unfortunately!

I'd suggest you use small doses - use the first day a dose of 1g or smaller - you can dissolve it in a glass of water, it has no taste.

Make sure your heartbeat is regular, and that your blood pressure doesn't drop (you'd become pale, heart rate would go up, etc.) It is an experimental compound, so always be extra cautious, even if it may not seem necessary. I had someone with me in case I reacted poorly to the compound - although it was highly unlikely, better safe than sorry.

I'm currently researching a bit more on the optimal dosage and the different effects, but I won't have time until Monday to go in my university to access some research papers.

I have some reasons to believe that MgT affects the learning process - it's somewhat of an intuition that emerged while reading different articles - and somewhat of a personal experience - it may be a subjective feeling, but a couple of articles interesting points concerning the learning process and memory in rats (in regards to some potent -racetams), how they measured it, and the physiological effects while studying slices of those rats' brain.

Still, there's lot of research to be done because the data is very scarce on the cognitive effects of higher Mg+ concentration on a healthy adult brain. Basically, lots to make from scratch.

Your reasoning is also flawed although the answer is okay (based on the assumption this conversion is correct which isn't the cse)

(g/day) * [(g/mol) / (g)] doesn't make a (g/day) answer. There's a mol 'part' you haven't eliminated.

1 mol of MgT = 300g (very roughly)
1 mol of Mg = 25g

If you want your body to have 50g of pure Mg (2 mol), you'd have to take 2 mol of MgT. That means 600g of MgT.

Let's divide all this and get milligrams. 50g = 50 000 mg, so we divide by 1000. If you need 50mg of pure Mg, you have to take 600 000/1000 so 600mg of MgT per kilo. You multiply by 70 --> 7*6 = 42, you add 3 "0"'s and you get 42000mg, or 42g. So, good answer (again, on the wrong assumption), bad reasoning.

Anyway, do check this paper dealing on conversion factors for human and different animals.

Since you can't convert dosages that way - let's proceed to a better way.

So, let's multiply he 50mg/kilo by 6 - a factor for rats. 300mg/kilo. We now divide by the factor for humans (37). 300mg / 37 which should be around 8,1mg/kilo for humans. Multiply that by 70kg, assuming that's your weight and you'd need around 567mg of Mg.

Mg represents 1/12 of MgT's weigh so we multiply by 12 - you'd need a bit less than 7g of MgT daily.

Can anyone double-check my calculations - just to be safe. I also did them in my head, but dealing with such conversions is already very tricky that such gross inaccuracy can be excused ;-)

[...]However, the Food and Drug Administration (7) has
suggested that the extrapolation of animal dose to
human dose is correctly performed only through normalization
to BSA, which often is represented in mg/
m2. The human dose equivalent can be more appropriately
calculated by using the formula shown in Fig. 1.
To convert the dose used in a mouse to a dose based on
surface area for humans, multiply 22.4 mg/kg (Baur’s
mouse dose) by the Km factor (3) for a mouse and then
divide by the Km factor (37) for a human (Table 1).

Table 1
(Weigh kg) (BSA m²) (Km factor)
Human
Adult 60 1.6 37
Child 20 0.8 25
Baboon 12 0.6 20
Dog 10 0.5 20
Monkey 3 0.24 12
Rabbit 1.8 0.15 12
Guinea pig 0.4 0.05 8
Rat 0.15 0.025 6
Hamster 0.08 0.02 5
Mouse 0.02 0.007 3

Formula:
Human DOSE = Animal dose (mg/kg) * ( (Animal Km factor)/(Human Km factor) )

Edited by bdoris, 03 June 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#41 Len Jones

• 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:38 AM

Hi dboris

Thanks for the very useful reply. I will certainly not hold you at fault if there are any errors in your calculations.

I did start with 1g on the first day, then 3.5g/day for the next 3 days. Today, becoming impatient, I had planed to take 21g, but two trips to the bathroom decided me otherwise and I only took 14g. I have been monitoring blood pressure and heart rate and they are with my normal range.

Tomorrow I will resume taking MgT but only 7g for the day divided over 4 doses.

I haven’t had time to work through and understand all you said, but it is high on my agenda.
The reference to the FASEB journal is very useful and will also take some time to work through.

Again thank you.

Do keep in mind that rats aren't humans. And lesser dosages doesn't mean they didn't have any effect, but just that it wasn't enough to be measurable through indirect methods. Rats can't speak, unfortunately!

I'd suggest you use small doses - use the first day a dose of 1g or smaller - you can dissolve it in a glass of water, it has no taste.

Make sure your heartbeat is regular, and that your blood pressure doesn't drop (you'd become pale, heart rate would go up, etc.) It is an experimental compound, so always be extra cautious, even if it may not seem necessary. I had someone with me in case I reacted poorly to the compound - although it was highly unlikely, better safe than sorry.

I'm currently researching a bit more on the optimal dosage and the different effects, but I won't have time until Monday to go in my university to access some research papers.

I have some reasons to believe that MgT affects the learning process - it's somewhat of an intuition that emerged while reading different articles - and somewhat of a personal experience - it may be a subjective feeling, but a couple of articles interesting points concerning the learning process and memory in rats (in regards to some potent -racetams), how they measured it, and the physiological effects while studying slices of those rats' brain.

Still, there's lot of research to be done because the data is very scarce on the cognitive effects of higher Mg+ concentration on a healthy adult brain. Basically, lots to make from scratch.

Your reasoning is also flawed although the answer is okay (based on the assumption this conversion is correct which isn't the cse)

(g/day) * [(g/mol) / (g)] doesn't make a (g/day) answer. There's a mol 'part' you haven't eliminated.

1 mol of MgT = 300g (very roughly)
1 mol of Mg = 25g

If you want your body to have 50g of pure Mg (2 mol), you'd have to take 2 mol of MgT. That means 600g of MgT.

Let's divide all this and get milligrams. 50g = 50 000 mg, so we divide by 1000. If you need 50mg of pure Mg, you have to take 600 000/1000 so 600mg of MgT per kilo. You multiply by 70 --> 7*6 = 42, you add 3 "0"'s and you get 42000mg, or 42g. So, good answer (again, on the wrong assumption), bad reasoning.

Anyway, do check this paper dealing on conversion factors for human and different animals.

Since you can't convert dosages that way - let's proceed to a better way.

So, let's multiply he 50mg/kilo by 6 - a factor for rats. 300mg/kilo. We now divide by the factor for humans (37). 300mg / 37 which should be around 8,1mg/kilo for humans. Multiply that by 70kg, assuming that's your weight and you'd need around 567mg of Mg.

Mg represents 1/12 of MgT's weigh so we multiply by 12 - you'd need a bit less than 7g of MgT daily.

Can anyone double-check my calculations - just to be safe. I also did them in my head, but dealing with such conversions is already very tricky that such gross inaccuracy can be excused ;-)

[...]However, the Food and Drug Administration (7) has
suggested that the extrapolation of animal dose to
human dose is correctly performed only through normalization
to BSA, which often is represented in mg/
m2. The human dose equivalent can be more appropriately
calculated by using the formula shown in Fig. 1.
To convert the dose used in a mouse to a dose based on
surface area for humans, multiply 22.4 mg/kg (Baur’s
mouse dose) by the Km factor (3) for a mouse and then
divide by the Km factor (37) for a human (Table 1).

Table 1
(Weigh kg) (BSA m²) (Km factor)
Human
Adult 60 1.6 37
Child 20 0.8 25
Baboon 12 0.6 20
Dog 10 0.5 20
Monkey 3 0.24 12
Rabbit 1.8 0.15 12
Guinea pig 0.4 0.05 8
Rat 0.15 0.025 6
Hamster 0.08 0.02 5
Mouse 0.02 0.007 3

Formula:
Human DOSE = Animal dose (mg/kg) * ( (Animal Km factor)/(Human Km factor) )

#42 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Notice, June 6, 2011

http://www.naturalpr...ain-health.aspx

#43 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

AIDP Distributes Magtein™ for Brain Health
June 6, 2011

LOS ANGELES–AIDP Inc. is supplying the brain-boosting ingredient Magtein™ to dietary supplement and functional product manufacturers nationwide, after the company secured the exclusive distribution rights.

Magtein™ is a magnesium-based functional ingredient designed to improve memory, focus and overall cognitive health for all ages. Magtein(magnesium L-threonate) is a patented and trademarked macro mineral that can help to prevent cognitive decline by supporting healthy magnesium levels in the brain. Accroding to AIDP, the potential for Magtein is found in the enhancement of recognition memory, spatial working memory, and synaptic bouton density. This not only benefits individuals with severe memory loss, but those with trouble concentrating, limited attention spans, and natural memory loss due to oxidation and aging.

Just this past May, Jennifer Gu, Ph.D., director of research and development, AIDP Inc., spoke about another patented and trademarked macro mineral used for brain health, MgT™, at SupplySide East 2011, in Secaucus, NJ. MgT (also a magnesium L-threonate), reduces memory loss and improves cognitive health, according to AIDP.

#44 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Any new experiences with the compound??

#45 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

I'm going now so I don't have much time, but MgT has a significant (measurable) effect on memory that is far from being subjective - it is actually amazing. The dose for a noticeable effect have to be relatively large - around 12g a day, and it takes some time to build up and everything else experienced at first would most likely be attributed to placebo, or a slight magnesium deficiency. If taken all at once, it has a slight laxative effect though - still, insignificant compared to other forms of Magnesium at such dosages. I'd recommend splitting it and taking it through the day.

Overall, the increase in memory - the recall, but also the creation of new episodic memories is significantly greater; I'm still far from having a photographic memory, but this is one of the rare compounds which had such a profound effect. It's difficult to evaluate other cognitive benefits.

I'll have to devise an effective test to get an accurate estimation of the improvements of my memory; so far, doing basic tests, the increase was large (300% in the amount of details I can recall from a 500 work semi-abstract text after a night of sleep, in the space of a week (about the time I started taking ~10g/day and yesterday), but it was done unprofessionally and two tests aren't a proper way to get accurate results as many factors could play into it.

I'm monitoring my blood levels more often, getting a new result in a few days so I'll get to see my plasma levels of Mg+ (not CSF) and how my kidneys cope with it, among other things. Otherwise, no side effects experienced, I've taken only on occasion other nootropics and I didn't notice anything of interest. I'm taking regularly ALCAR, it may in theory be synergistic with MgT. I'll have to examine this in more details.

If anyone else is taking MgT, please PM me, I'll devise a way to get more data from its effects.
  • like x 1

#46 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

I'm need some MgT quickly. Does anyone have surplus I can buy?
Alternatively, are there people willing to join forces and make a collective purchase (USA)?

Bdoris, very interesting account. Please keep us apace. How long did it take for delivery from Orchid?

#47 workebox

• 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

I'm need some MgT quickly. Does anyone have surplus I can buy?
Alternatively, are there people willing to join forces and make a collective purchase (USA)?

Bdoris, very interesting account. Please keep us apace. How long did it take for delivery from Orchid?

I would like to buy some Mgt. I am willing to join forces. I live in Southern California. Orchid quoted me $290 for 1 kg. If we get a third person we get it just under $100. Or two, I'd rather pay $150 than $300. Please let me know. My best email is: hectorchaid@gmail.com

#48 Len Jones

• 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

I have been taking 7g MgT for 14 days now. I split the dose and take it 4 times daily. Initially there was a laxative effect, but this seems to have entirely disappeared. I am am 69 and was optimistically hoping for the dramatic effect that happened to the old rats after 12 days, however. My short term memory loss is still all too apparent.

I have been doing memory and IQ tests and while there is a trivial improvement, it could easily be due to practice.

My blood pressure and pulse haven’t changed. Any other changes could well be due the placebo effect.

I am not sure what is a reasonable time period for MgT to show measurable results. I am taking 1/6th the equivalent dose, by body weight, given to the rats. Should I expect to wait 12 x 6 = 72 days? I don’t know where to start looking in the literature.

I plan to maintain my present dosage until the end of the month then possibly increase it by 50% to 10g/day. I am not sure, advice is welcome.

Delivery from Orchid is quick, 9 days from initial inquiry. Paying by Western Union is a nuisance, I have never done it before and much prefer PayPal.

I don’t intend to sell off any of my supply as 1K @ 7g/day = 140 days. Also, shipping might be a problem. Orchid included an awful lot of documentation, and interestingly an invoice for $20. A low value helps avoid Canadian taxes ($40) and brokerage fees ($50).

I'm going now so I don't have much time, but MgT has a significant (measurable) effect on memory that is far from being subjective - it is actually amazing. The dose for a noticeable effect have to be relatively large - around 12g a day, and it takes some time to build up and everything else experienced at first would most likely be attributed to placebo, or a slight magnesium deficiency. If taken all at once, it has a slight laxative effect though - still, insignificant compared to other forms of Magnesium at such dosages. I'd recommend splitting it and taking it through the day.

Overall, the increase in memory - the recall, but also the creation of new episodic memories is significantly greater; I'm still far from having a photographic memory, but this is one of the rare compounds which had such a profound effect. It's difficult to evaluate other cognitive benefits.

I'll have to devise an effective test to get an accurate estimation of the improvements of my memory; so far, doing basic tests, the increase was large (300% in the amount of details I can recall from a 500 work semi-abstract text after a night of sleep, in the space of a week (about the time I started taking ~10g/day and yesterday), but it was done unprofessionally and two tests aren't a proper way to get accurate results as many factors could play into it.

I'm monitoring my blood levels more often, getting a new result in a few days so I'll get to see my plasma levels of Mg+ (not CSF) and how my kidneys cope with it, among other things. Otherwise, no side effects experienced, I've taken only on occasion other nootropics and I didn't notice anything of interest. I'm taking regularly ALCAR, it may in theory be synergistic with MgT. I'll have to examine this in more details.

If anyone else is taking MgT, please PM me, I'll devise a way to get more data from its effects.

#49 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Len,

Jonathan Toomin (neuro Ph.D candidate) over at the nback brain group (which I've seen you post at before) explained why he thought MgT would have no to little effect on short term memory, but an appreciable effect on long term memory. I can't recall exactly, but he mentions the mechanism of action.

I found his reasoning persuasive. But I reason that if one had, say, "perfect long term memory", it would completely mask any deficits in short term memory, right? I realize they're stemming from different neural substrates, but it would seem that an improved LTM could compensate for STM deficits. This could be fallacious reasoning on my part, so feel free to set me aright...

As to dosage, from the account of bdoris it would seem you need to up your dosage to 12 grams a day. Why wait until the end of the month? You risk wasting at least 98 grams (7grams*14days) on a dose that is below the your effective threshold. And if 10g isn't going to work for you, you'll waste yet more.

Seems best to up it now and see if you get a measurable effect. If nothing occurs in, say, 5 days, you could always just dial down the dosage back to 7-10 grams and just hope for a spontaneous subsequent improvement. But if 12g a day for 5 days (after 7g for 14 days) isn't effect, I think it becomes somewhat unlikely that this particular compound works for you. You could then quit it in good conscience and sell your surplus to me and Workebox, haha ;-)

Workebox, I'd like to get at least another person, as well. I'll see if I can rustle up some others. My email is bossmanglb@yahoo.com.
  • like x 1

#50 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

I am not sure what is a reasonable time period for MgT to show measurable results. I am taking 1/6th the equivalent dose, by body weight, given to the rats. Should I expect to wait 12 x 6 = 72 days? I don’t know where to start looking in the literature.

Interesting. I would have expected a more pronounced effect, although MgT effects are dose-dependent; the plasma levels have to be significantly higher in order for it to influence CSF levels of Mg+; however, a much larger dose does carry its risks as it is very stressing on the kidneys and heart, who have to work very hard to maintain the mineral concentrations. I'm fortunately young so I can put my body under a lot of stress, but you should be much more careful about it.

Theoretically, the best would be to have a form of Mg+ directly injected into the brain - which is done on patients after an ischemic stroke. Of course, it's not something that can be realistically done by yourself, even less on a daily basis.

I do take ALCAR (Acetyl L-Carnitine), I suggest you do the same as it appears to be very synergistic; there's a plethora of studies about it, and it seems reasonable to assume so, as far as I can tell.

You can always recheck the study from Neuron, here.

Edit:

Yes, the poster above me is right - by short term memory, did you mean working memory? Because in that case, MgT would have little effects on it; that's why it's very tricky for me to measure the improvements. MgT has a drastic effect on my episodic memory; I have seen little changes in my working memory, it is even slightly worse, though this is more likely the result of my stopping other nootropics such as -racetams, methylphenidate, etc.

As to dosage, from the account of bdoris it would seem you need to up your dosage to 12 grams a day. Why wait until the end of the month? You risk wasting at least 98 grams (7grams*14days) on a dose that is below the your effective threshold. And if 10g isn't going to work for you, you'll waste yet more.

As the effects persists even after the end of administration, as noted in the Neuron study, my goal is to induce those beneficial effects and stop the treatment for a few months, before beginning again. Taking doses which have no effect is somewhat pointless because you harm/stress your body without inducing beneficial effects.

PS: I'm trying to design a software where you'll be able to read a text or memorize certain informations such as numbers or faces, and after a certain amount of time (the next day) answer to questions related to what you have read, of select the correct picture or number in a multiple choice questionnaire.

Edited by bdoris, 17 June 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#51 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

I have been taking 7g MgT for 14 days now. I split the dose and take it 4 times daily. Initially there was a laxative effect, but this seems to have entirely disappeared. I am am 69 and was optimistically hoping for the dramatic effect that happened to the old rats after 12 days, however. My short term memory loss is still all too apparent.

I have been doing memory and IQ tests and while there is a trivial improvement, it could easily be due to practice.

My blood pressure and pulse haven’t changed. Any other changes could well be due the placebo effect.

I plan to maintain my present dosage until the end of the month then possibly increase it by 50% to 10g/day. I am not sure, advice is welcome.

Delivery from Orchid is quick, 9 days from initial inquiry. Paying by Western Union is a nuisance, I have never done it before and much prefer PayPal.

I don’t intend to sell off any of my supply as 1K @ 7g/day = 140 days. Also, shipping might be a problem. Orchid included an awful lot of documentation, and interestingly an invoice for $20. A low value helps avoid Canadian taxes ($40) and brokerage fees ($50).

I took Mg glycinate a while back and had heart palpitations and then took taurine and that helped. Taurine is used to stabilize disrythmias in animals studies and others. Sorry I cannot pull that study for you but it is somewhere.

I also once while taking a high dose of Mg glycinate took like a teaspoon of salt in water and that made palpitations cease.

Another thing is Celtic salt (gray colored) has several good minerals there you can take with your Mg. so there is no electrolyte imbalance. This has helped people with depression, I am told.

Another thing which I have no experience just hearsay is something called NerveTonic by Hyland. Pure speculation I don't know if that would help any either.

Last word is experimentation is expensive.

#52 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Yes, the poster above me is right - by short term memory, did you mean working memory? Because in that case, MgT would have little effects on it; that's why it's very tricky for me to measure the improvements. MgT has a drastic effect on my episodic memory; I have seen little changes in my working memory, it is even slightly worse, though this is more likely the result of my stopping other nootropics such as -racetams, methylphenidate, etc.

Yes. Right you are.

As the effects persists even after the end of administration, as noted in the Neuron study, my goal is to induce those beneficial effects and stop the treatment for a few months, before beginning again. Taking doses which have no effect is somewhat pointless because you harm/stress your body without inducing beneficial effects.

I think this is another reason why Len should probably up his dosage. It's doubtful 12g a day is harmful. From what I recall of Len's post once he gets an effect, perhaps he can quit and not deal with chronic administration.

PS: I'm trying to design a software where you'll be able to read a text or memorize certain informations such as numbers or faces, and after a certain amount of time (the next day) answer to questions related to what you have read, of select the correct picture or number in a multiple choice questionnaire.
[/quote]

Hm. Bdoris, I'm curious, when you read something now, do you feel you remember more of it right after you finish? Like you'd be able to related details of an article in the newspaper better. Not just the next morning, mind you, but right after reading it.

You could always get some old GREs/SATs. Read one of the reading passages and answer the questions. That'd be fair way to test--though it would conflate recall and reasoning, alas. You're probably looking for something that strictly taps recollection.

#53 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Hm. Bdoris, I'm curious, when you read something now, do you feel you remember more of it right after you finish? Like you'd be able to related details of an article in the newspaper better. Not just the next morning, mind you, but right after reading it.

You could always get some old GREs/SATs. Read one of the reading passages and answer the questions. That'd be fair way to test--though it would conflate recall and reasoning, alas. You're probably looking for something that strictly taps recollection.

I do remember more, well, it's difficult to say whether I do remember more, but the most interesting thing is that I remember just as much the next day - very little degradation, and sometime I feel like I remember more the next day than right after reading the text. So, maybe, I can't tell. If I said yes, it'd be completely biased because that would be purely subjective, and I want to believe I'm better at it. Though, I don't believe it's really the case. Well, I can tell that I have a much easier time reading that text (better attention and focus) so in a way, yes there is an improvement, but it is indirect and likely to be unrelated to MgT; my nutrition and lifestyle contributed more to attenuate my ADD symptoms than MgT.

I've nearly learned by rote about ~1000 words (a whole chapter of Albert Einstein's 'Relativity' book) just by reading it about 5 times over the course of a day; by nearly, I mean that I need someone to give me some little cues when I forget where I am (I asked a person to check whether I could recite the whole chapter and help me by giving me the next word if I paused for more than a few seconds). It's pretty big for me since before that, I had a hard time remembering even shorter texts like lyrics from a song - and that was more than ten years ago.

However, I'd like to remind you, Len or anyone that I'm starting a CR (~1600 cal a day), taking ALCAR+R-ALA and MgT, doing at least one hour of light daily exercise (jogging) and am learning a lot of new things as to enhance or augment my cognitive process, or more simply 'brain' - is it only one of those factors or a combination of all those which bring me those very positive changes, I can't tell exactly; I'm sure that ALCAR does have a synergistic effect on MgT and the Calorie Restriction may as well as it promotes growth factors, but that's only an educated assumption.

That's why I'd like to get more data from other people who are taking MgT, otherwise I'll never be able to know how much does MgT really contribute to the significant improvements in memory that I'm experiencing (and I hope it continues; at this rate, I'll have eidetic memory before the end of this summer - which was actually the main goal of taking MgT).

I have a few books on psychometrics and neuropsychological assessments for episodic memory, short term memory and so on, but those have to be administered by someone, actively asking questions and such; making it through a software will be more difficult. And I'll have to learn a programming language from scratch - but so far I'm managing doing the basics. The goal is to make it the less personal and more accurate, so I'll have to avoid visual items as some people can remember better some categories and not others. If I can find a database with lots of similar faces, should work great.

Edited by bdoris, 17 June 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#54 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:45 AM

Very interesting...I will be interested to see if this results in actually taking in more information or just remembering longer.
I.e., is your bucket bigger or does it just leak less?

(The relativity book is great. I remember first trying to comprehend it in 6th grade or so, haha. Didn't get too far.)

At first you said your memory has improved but was not quite photographic. Now you say that at this rate you'll have eidetic memory by the end of
summer. Interesting! Are you implying that not only do you currently perceive substantial effects, but that these effects are increasing with additional supplementation?

The facial recognition idea sounds alright. I worry though it might conflate facial discrimination ability and memory. It seems that the capacity to discriminate faces is a separate ability , which some people have more of than others, and is independent of memory.

Any effect on digit span--forward or backward?
What about procedural memory? (Do you play an instrument?)
I know nback hasn't changed for you. But do other brain sites (e.g., luminosity)
have memory related modules/tests that might be more applicable?

As far as software goes, there been a fair amount of research into what's termed "spaced learning".
You should check out mnemosyne and/or related programs. For example: http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

It's not perfect, but you should easily be able to adapt it to your testing purposes. The software allows you to basically create flashcards of your own choosing and then it will show them to you at intervals controlled by a optimized mnemonic algorithm. By ranking your familiarity with a card when prompted you have some discretion over the spacing.
Other programs might allow even more control; I don't know.

#55 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Very interesting...I will be interested to see if this results in actually taking in more information or just remembering longer.
I.e., is your bucket bigger or does it just leak less?

(The relativity book is great. I remember first trying to comprehend it in 6th grade or so, haha. Didn't get too far.)

At first you said your memory has improved but was not quite photographic. Now you say that at this rate you'll have eidetic memory by the end of
summer. Interesting! Are you implying that not only do you currently perceive substantial effects, but that these effects are increasing with additional supplementation?

The facial recognition idea sounds alright. I worry though it might conflate facial discrimination ability and memory. It seems that the capacity to discriminate faces is a separate ability , which some people have more of than others, and is independent of memory.

Any effect on digit span--forward or backward?
What about procedural memory? (Do you play an instrument?)
I know nback hasn't changed for you. But do other brain sites (e.g., luminosity)
have memory related modules/tests that might be more applicable?

As far as software goes, there been a fair amount of research into what's termed "spaced learning".
You should check out mnemosyne and/or related programs. For example: http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/

It's not perfect, but you should easily be able to adapt it to your testing purposes. The software allows you to basically create flashcards of your own choosing and then it will show them to you at intervals controlled by a optimized mnemonic algorithm. By ranking your familiarity with a card when prompted you have some discretion over the spacing.
Other programs might allow even more control; I don't know.

I think that we all have a very great capacity for memory - only that it "leaks" over time as you say. We all have photographic memory for a split-second after closing our eyes, the image can persist in our mind. Only it leaks very fast. Certain nootropics can affect the duration of this persistence, and I'm wondering whether MgT is doing the same; perhaps not, just a thought.

I probably won't have an eidetic memory by the end of the summer - I'll hit a wall to my progress. That's an objective guess. But the rate at which I made improvement so far was very good.

Actually, I think that we all store everything - only inefficiently. The problem is that those imperfection in the storage makes us unable to recall any information at wish - but it still remain possible, there are a few very well known cases of 'mega' savants like Kim Peek or Stephen Wiltshire.

While anatomical abnormalities can induce those effects, in essence those are just an unusual pathways or circuitry which are used much more compared to other persons - with sufficient exercise, we could replicate those feats and train a similar capacity for the 'real' photographic memory. The ideal would be to isolate the cognitive processes which makes this possible for those 'mega' savants - and by training different part of our brains separately (for example through a simple software), we may recreate a similar circuitry. Once we manage to recall something perfectly only once - that is, a single page of text only after looking at it for 5 seconds, then we'll be able to do it again, and polish that ability.

Perhaps, the only thing needed is a dendrite growth factor; perhaps it's a special circuitry that has to be used; I'm trying to find out whether I can replicate eidetic memory.

Anyway, there is a substantial progress, and I do think that my cognitive exercises do contribute more than nootropics in most cases - a nootropic which makes me able to practice better a certain exercise will indeed contribute, but little. A nootropic which increase growth factors will be much better as it will speed up the process of what I'm trying to do.

Perhaps, for MgT to have an effect on memory, you need to practice your memory.

I'm playing the piano. I've noticed a strong improvement in creativity - and funny thing, I've dreamed a couple of times of original pieces of piano, and at the end of the day I could still recall parts of it. But that began happening while still having low doses of MgT so it's likely to be unrelated. I'd have to practice extensively - which I don't have the time - to notice an improvement in procedural memory - however that's a different aspect that wouldn't be directly linked to cognition; the Purkinje cells are different in anatomy and the potentiation does require much less input for consolidation, so the difference for someone who plays piano regularly won't be noticeable - you'd notice improvement or lack of improvement if you were to study a couple of persons who are only beginning to play the piano.

As for the software, it doesn't matter if a person is good or bad at something - I'm trying to compare results to previous results from the same software and from the same person, not compare it between different persons; first few results would be a base line, later results would show improvement or lack of improvement. So, as long as it has a consistency in the results, it's good. Numbers, visages, doesn't matter if one person is good at it and not the other. In mathematics, it'd be like studying the derivative, not the curve/line itself.

Digit span results won't be influenced much by MgT - because they rely on 'tricks' to improve your working memory. The only possible effect would be the rate of improvement in using/creating new tricks.

#56 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks. Hope you continue to improve! I should have some coming soon. I'll be happy to report back any effects.

A bit of an misunderstanding vis a vis the face software: my point was that facial discrimination faculties tap a different mental substrate than
strict recall. Apparently, the skill of human facial recognition was important enough in our evolutionary past to have its own, specialized neural correlates. Testing recognition of faces draws on both ones ability to discriminate faces and recall them. You're sort of generating an internal imagine and then comparing it to a prompt. It's this comparing that is a distinct process from strict recall (generation).
If you want to test recall, I don't think testing human face recognition is a pure way to do that.

Funny thing, as I type this I recall the story of "S"--the Russian memory savant documented by the psychologist A.R. Luria. He had perfect eidetic memory, but found it impossible to recognize faces. (I think he had a difficult time recognizing them real time--not sure about photographs.)
But my point is that someone could in theory have perfect recall--they could (assuming draughting ability) be able to recreate faces they had seen in the past with wonderful fidelity. But it's different when they must compare the generated or internal image to another and see if it's a match.

But for practical purposes this is probably not too important. Most people don't have deficits in facial discriminating that would underestimate their memory abilities. And you could still test pre/post MgT to see if recognition ability improved. But for all we know MgT might improve the discrimination faculties as well as the strict recall.

Digit spans results don't rely on tricks. I realize you can you use tricks like chunking to artificially elevate your score. But that's not inherently part of the digit span test. What I wanted to know was if MgT improved your digit span scores absent you chunking or employing any other mnemonic aid.

I didn't think MgT would have much an effect on digit span, unfortunately. But only because it doesn't seem to have an effect on short term/working memory, which the forward/backward digit span respectively test. This is rather unfortunate because it appeared to in the rats. A boost in short term/working memory, now that would be making you bucket bigger ;)

#57 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

Funny thing, as I type this I recall the story of "S"--the Russian memory savant documented by the psychologist A.R. Luria. He had perfect eidetic memory, but found it impossible to recognize faces. (I think he had a difficult time recognizing them real time--not sure about photographs.)
But my point is that someone could in theory have perfect recall--they could (assuming draughting ability) be able to recreate faces they had seen in the past with wonderful fidelity. But it's different when they must compare the generated or internal image to another and see if it's a match.

Yes, he wrote a book about him, "Mind of a Mnemonist" which I read nearly a year ago. S had trouble working with abstract concepts, however his visual abilities were without doubt impressive.

However, the face recognition is still dealing with memory - you need references in order to remember faces; a whole database of other faces, or geometrical conceptions such as to dissect a face into more recognisable/remember-able components. Rectangles, circles, shapes of the noose, eye, etc. Or simply by comparing through all the other faces you saw in your life.

It may not be the best way, but I think it's a reliable way to get steady and measurable results. The test wouldn't be designed to check whether a person has a perfect memory, but whether he makes progress in his memory capacity. After all, memory isn't only about remembering something visual, but also auditory, feelings or abstract concepts. Face recognition deals with different types of memories - visual, abstract, perhaps emotional. All the better, then!

#58 choqueiro

• 188 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hi. I sent an e-mail to AIDP asking for the future commercialization of products with Magtein compound (MgT). This is what they answer me:

"We are the exclusive distributor for Magtein™ and sell only to manufacturers.  It should be available to consumers in late summer to early fall. 

Kathy Lund
AIDP, Inc. 
Director Business Development & Marketing
303-734-0860 "

#59 bdoris

• 101 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

Methylphenidate (5mg) doesn't seem to work well with MgT - it may be that I have reduced my ADD symptoms (which are most of the day perceptible, if not non-existent) to the point that Methylphenidate not only doesn't help, but is counter productive. Doesn't make much sense physiologically speaking, though.

I also advise not to go over 15g of MgT per day - rats do seem to tolerate it much better in that regard; first sign of what might be the beginning of a symptom of hypermagnesemia means a pause and cutting the dosage in two after a few days.

I did take more yesterday and today (20mg) and the induced enema (laxative effect) by the larger dose was much more important - it may not seem important, but it is important. I did notice a slight drop of systolic blood pressure consistent after one hour - I dismissed it a first this morning as it could be an artefact (it is possible that my sphygmomanometer is de-calibrated as it's not a mercury manometer), after coming back home, I remembered something and well... safety is paramount (especially since I plan on living forever) --->

When you have a magnesium enema (watery diarrhea), the absorption of Magnesium does increase significantly from the large bowel, which can easily induce toxicity through a significant spike in Mg+ plasma levels; it can lead to cardiac arrest, and would otherwise be fatal for people with renal failure. That's what bothered me about MgT in the first place - very little data on the pharmacokinetics.

It saddens me a bit because MgT did look promising at first glance - and is still very promising, extraordinary even to me, but a simple educated guess on the required dosages makes me realize that a medicinal dosage will carry very strong risks, as it is not so far from a potentially toxic dosage. And I'm also a bit pissed at myself because I didn't consider that the absorption might not be dose dependant (how could I miss that -_-)

Heh, but I guess that's to be expected from an experimental compound!

PS: I will be continuing taking MgT for about a week - the effects should persist, according to the various papers on mineral concentration in the CSF, and the study from Neuron (links in previous posts). And chances are that I'll redo it in a more tweaked way two or three months later as to avoid potential toxicity, and perhaps find a manner of administration more homoeostasis-friendly to the body.

Sources (relevant case reports):
Fatal hypermagnesemia
Extreme Hypermagnesemia as a Cause of Refractory Hypotension
Fatal hypermagnesemia in a child treated with megavitamin/megamineral therapy (full text pdf)

(To induce such an effect as described in the last paper, the dosage would have above 40g/day of MgT at the very least for an adult, assuming the worst - just a gross guess - but in some cases complications can happen at lower dosages - and there is a case report about a person who had normal renal function).

/!\ WARNING

I do not encourage you to experiment with MgT - I am enthusiastic - and I realize now that it can be dangerous in such a board; I do take an huge amount of precautions, I am a young person, therefore can endure better possible side effects yet it is still an irresponsible thing and I guess I can be called stupid in experimenting with an experimental drug. But even then, do NOT take example on me. Remember, NO more than 20g (which I consider the value after which MgT becomes toxic) over the course of a day with A LOT of water, some calcium, and regularly checking blood pressure, reflexes and if the enema is significant and persists after a day, STOP taking MgT. It is an advice should anyone choose to disregard my warning - I do not encourage you to take MgT and I decline any responsibility to any side effect or health issue that may arise if you proceed with experimenting it.

Here, just making it clear - my last few posts were enthusiastic, but this can be very dangerous and I would be the first to rant if another member did encourage (even indirectly) something has a slight chance to be dangerous.

Edited by bdoris, 19 June 2011 - 05:16 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 bossmanglb

• 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:00 AM

Bdoris,

Here is a place where you can find a number of batteries to test yourself: http://www.cogtest.c...ib_demtest.html
They have a facial recognition test, as you can see.

Anything new to report regarding your MgT supplementation?

Also, just curious, but how exactly does a magnesium enema increase absorption?
Rather than just, say, expelling all that good magnesium out of the body prematurely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users