Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

SRT 501 discontinued

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 trz

• 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Comments, re: implications for resveratrol and micronized resveratrol, as SRT 501 is described as primarily micronized resveratrol?
Any comments re: resveratrol use and kidney function?

http://www.myelomabe...ol-drug-srt501/

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

Comments, re: implications for resveratrol and micronized resveratrol, as SRT 501 is described as primarily micronized resveratrol?
Any comments re: resveratrol use and kidney function?

http://www.myelomabe...ol-drug-srt501/

Nephrotoxicity issue was discusse in this thread: glaxos-red-wine-drug-trial-halted-over-safety-concerns There are some studies showing reseratrol at lower doses protects the kidney.

The nephrotoxicity could as well been due to velcade, which was administered concomitantly, and the dose of resveratrol, at 5 grams, is much higher than I think even the most ardent proponents of resveratrol use have advocated here. I believe most of those have reduced their intake to a gram or less.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

http://www.corante.c...t/terioria.fcgi

23. Bixbyte on January 5, 2011 1:08 AM writes...

My wife and I have been dosing on 1,500 milligrams per day 98 and 99% Resveratrol prepared liquid ultrasonically mix with HPMC and PG3350 for years.
We have not experienced any kidney damage.
My wife and I are living proof RES helps slow aging.
Permalink to Comment
  • like x 1

#4 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

http://www.corante.com/cgi-bin/mt/terioria.fcgi

23. Bixbyte on January 5, 2011 1:08 AM writes...

My wife and I have been dosing on 1,500 milligrams per day 98 and 99% Resveratrol prepared liquid ultrasonically mix with HPMC and PG3350 for years.
We have not experienced any kidney damage.
My wife and I are living proof RES helps slow aging.
Permalink to Comment

Tried your link and got this:

An error occurred
No entry_id

#5 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Try this link:

http://pipeline.cora...ment_halted.php

Edited by bixbyte, 05 January 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#6 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

http://pipeline.cora...ment_halted.php

Resveratrol (SRT501): Development Halted

Posted by Derek

Back in May, GlaxoSmithKline halted a trial of SRT501, which is a formulation of resveratrol, in myeloma. Now the folks at the Myeloma Beacon site are the first with the news that the company has halted all further development:

According to a GlaxoSmithKline spokesperson, an internal analysis of the kidney failure cases has concluded that they “most likely were due to the underlying disease … However, the formulation of SRT501 was not well tolerated, and side effects of nausea / vomiting / diarrhea may have indirectly led to dehydration, which exacerbated the development of the acute [kidney] failure.”

For this reason, the company decided to halt further development of SRT501 in multiple myeloma. The SRT501 formulation of resveratrol “may only offer minimal efficacy,” explained the Glaxo spokesperson, while increasing the chances of kidney failure. . .

. . .In a separate statement to The Myeloma Beacon, a Glaxo spokesperson explained the rationale for the company’s decision to halt all development of SRT501. Ending all work on SRT501, the spokesperson said, will allow Glaxo to focus its resources on the development of drugs that act similarly to SRT501, but have more favorable properties. The spokesperson mentioned, in particular, SRT2104 and SRT2379 as drugs similar to SRT501 that the company is developing.

These compounds are still a bit of a mystery - they've been in the clinical trial registry for a while, and are certainly the subject of active investigation, but we don't know how they fit into the whole activation-of-SIRT1 brouhaha. They haven't been challenged by the critics of the work, nor specifically defended by GSK, so we're just going to have to see how they perform out there in the real world (which was always going to be the final word, anyway).

But this would appear to be it for resveratrol itself in the real world, as far as GSK's concerned. Hey, does this mean that they'll let their two former Sirtris execs start selling it again on the side, now that they have no interest in the parent compound? One doubts it. But why not?

Comments (22) + TrackBacks (0) | Category: Aging and Lifespan | Cancer | Clinical Trials

#7 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

.....However, the formulation of SRT501 was not well tolerated, and side effects of nausea / vomiting / diarrhea may have indirectly led to dehydration, which exacerbated the development of the acute [kidney] failure.”...

NO WAY!
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Resveratrol study stopped

A couple other things to consider:

1. Profit motive:

Resveratrol is thought to work in humans by activating a protein called SIRT1, but at some doses it actually inhibits SIRT1, Dr. Vlasuk said.

In addition, from a commercial point of view, resveratrol is a natural substance and not patentable.

2. FDA rules

“Resveratrol is a complex molecule in that it has many targets, and it behaves differently depending on the tissue and the metabolic status of the organism,” Dr. de Cabo said. That may make it too complex for a pharmaceutical company, which must prove to the Food and Drug Administration that a new drug works by a defined mechanism on a specific target.

• like x 2

#9 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

In the same article, de Cabo was quoted as saying he would be publishing a study on the effects of resveratrol on monkeys, and the effects on health, per se. He refused to give any results prior to publication, though I inferred there were positive benefits for the monkeys. Macaques (formerly known as Rheuses monkeys) live 30 years, and de Cabo said this makes it somewhat difficult to do a life span study. De Cabo is the co-author with Sinclair on several papers on reseratrol, but he is with the NIA rather than Sirtris/Glaxo.

#10 aaCharley

• 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

The NY Times article has little concrete about the reasoning for the discontinuance of the study. Certainly not enough to make an assessment of Resveratrol. However, I did find it interesting that de Cabo did not use Resveratrol because of the "unknown" effects.

While I do take 500 mg a day, I have considered the amazing health effects as being probably over hyped. I'm more inclined to believe that it is a combination of dietary components which lead to the French paradox.

#11 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

Some divergence of views going on between Sirtris executive and Sinclair/Westphal. Also interesting to hear about upcoming rhesus monkey study, keep an eye out for it......

http://www.nytimes.c...html?ref=health

#12 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

The CEO of Sirtris is a clown,

Check out his retracted statement in the NYT article in the link below:

http://www.nytimes.c....html?src=twrhp

Some divergence of views going on between Sirtris executive and Sinclair/Westphal. Also interesting to hear about upcoming rhesus monkey study, keep an eye out for it......

• like x 1

#13 lotusman

• 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

A very rich clown...

#14 charlototo

• 24 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

A very rich clown...

but a clown is a clown, rich or poor ^^

Im a bit afraid, we use a product (resveratrol) and the guy who create this product dont believe on it ? right ? in few month he will say "it's a dangerous product" !! amazing..i eat resveratrol everyday.. from revgenetrics...maybe i will stop.

Edited by charlototo, 29 January 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#15 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

A very rich clown...

Im a bit afraid, we use a product (resveratrol) and the guy who create this product dont believe on it ? right ? in few month he will say "it's a dangerous product" !! amazing..i eat resveratrol everyday.. from revgenetrics...maybe i will stop.

He's not as rich as he thought he was going to be when he sold to Glaxo....

#16 charlototo

• 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

we really dont care about "he is rich or not" no ?

We care about our health.. and if this guy not sur about resveratrol who can be sur ? im a bit afraid to use res now.

#17 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

A very rich clown...

Well he is not the one that created the product, he is the new CEO from Glaxo so all he really is, is a paper pusher. The scientists that discovered Resveratrol still seem to believe in it and they are the ones that I care about.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

There are two thousand five hundred and seventy nine papers in medline that contain the word 'resveratrol'. David Sinclair did not write them all. His name is on thirteen, or one half of one percent of them. His financial entanglements render him a not entirely unbiased source.

#19 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

It has been over a year since the completion of the Resveratrol Monkey study and STILL no publication.

De Cabo has to be the SLOWEST person in the world.

This is all the more frustrating since Sinclair and Sirtris never published most of the Resveratrol and NCE studies they promised they were going to.
From what i have read (Over the last 3 YEARS!), the Resveratrol Monkey study results are very promising.

Get on with it man!

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

It has been over a year since the completion of the Resveratrol Monkey study and STILL no publication.

De Cabo has to be the SLOWEST person in the world.

It's probably tied up in the refereeing process. It just takes a long time to get it all done and get it into print.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users